Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2017, 18:40   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A1 vs A2 Cow Milk?

Thanks, hserus.

I also meant to add that, while even a cow is big enough to damage a car, a buffalo makes me nervous if it just looks at the car! And I have no wish to damage them anyway. Thus, I will challenge the stubbornness of an immovable cow, but tend to give absolute "right of way" to the street buffaloes!

To my mind and observation, neither have traffic sense, especially when compared to dogs, who seem to understand traffic better than some humans do.
Old 23rd January 2017, 18:49   #47
Senior - BHPian

Dogs are small enough that a car can run them over and suffer little or no damage. Cows? Well, big enough to see and big enough to make a right mess of your car when you hit them. Buffaloes - even bigger, as you say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thanks, hserus.

I also meant to add that, while even a cow is big enough to damage a car, a buffalo makes me nervous if it just looks at the car! And I have no wish to damage them anyway. Thus, I will challenge the stubbornness of an immovable cow, but tend to give absolute "right of way" to the street buffaloes!

To my mind and observation, neither have traffic sense, especially when compared to dogs, who seem to understand traffic better than some humans do.
Old 23rd January 2017, 19:47   #48
rkg
Senior - BHPian

1.Milk fat does not make one lazy
2.Milk composition
Cow: Fat 3-4%, Protein 4% Lactose 4%. Total solids around 13-14%. rest is water ( figures are approximate,vary between breeds)
Buffalo: Fat 6-7% ( some breeds have 9%) Protein and lactose almost similar
3. Toned and Double toned milk standards
Toned : 3% fat and 8.5 SNF
Double toned: 1.5% fat and 9% SNF

All the milk sold with high fat % is not buffalo milk. Especially Nandini 4.5% and 6% fat milk. This is also Cow milk with fat added to it.

Milk procurement has two seasons: Flush ( June-/December/January) immediately after rain when green grass is available
Lean season : summer months with less or no green fodder , hence less milk

What milk unions do: Convert surplus milk in flush season in milk powder and reconstitute it as milk during lean season when procurement falls below requirement

Nandini milk: is almost fresh. not reconstituted, because they are flush with so much liquid milk( they are procuring around 18 lakh litres per day), they are now selling in Hyderabad and other border areas.

OT: Iam a Vet with PhD in Dairy science, working as scientist in ICAR

Last edited by rkg : 23rd January 2017 at 19:48.
rkg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 19:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

Then the nandini milk I got in Bangalore must have been adulterated heavily, because it had a very soapy taste of milk powder in it (in the early summer - March / April 2015). Used to make me almost vomit whenever I drank coffee made with it, so that I switched to Heritage milk after a day or two.
Old 23rd January 2017, 20:02   #50
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Then the nandini milk I got in Bangalore must have been adulterated heavily, because it had a very soapy taste of milk powder in it (in the early summer - March / April 2015). Used to make me almost vomit whenever I drank coffee made with it, so that I switched to Heritage milk after a day or two.
Must have been adulterated locally. I prefer Nandini anyday over Heritage or any other private dairies.
rkg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 22:16   #51
BHPian

Quote:
That is pretty strange, we consume it everyday and so do others in our apartment. It tastes pretty good I must say (the full cream one) and we have not heard complaints from other residents either. This is in Indiranagar.
Old 24th January 2017, 08:50   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Ha ha. Most of the nandini milk I get from the local milkmen had a nauseating taste of milk powder being mixed into the milk possibly due to local adulteration.
I have used Nandini many times in Manipal, very rich and creamy. So maybe your milkman was playing games. In fact my wife did not like Nandini as it was too rich, so we started getting our milk from Nilgiri's supermarket.

I Kanpur someone had issues with Amul Gold, They found the fellow who was bringing it to their flat, was extracting milk, and replacing with water, using a needle and syringe.

Last edited by sgiitk : 24th January 2017 at 08:52.
Old 24th January 2017, 13:48   #53
Senior - BHPian

Yes sir, the milk was probably adulterated by the guy who supplied stuff to us. Unfortunately apartment buildings seem to have a cartel of suppliers each of whom is more or less as bad as the other :(
Old 24th January 2017, 16:49   #54
Senior - BHPian

My friends kid was getting sick in school quite often, when the doctor came to know the kid has a glass full of milk in the morning, he advised the parents to stop immediately, I don't know how much its true but he said most diary farms like Milma, Nandini convert the milk into milk powder for easy storage and convert them back to milk based on demand, there is a good chance these milk might be months old. During my childhood we used to get milk for mother diary, a small spec of dust was enough to turn the milk into paneer, this usually doesn't happen these days with these packet milks.

Pramod
Old 24th January 2017, 18:43   #55
Senior - BHPian

Sure, quick google throws up a few links about that:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle4918259.ece

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...le16013665.ece

and so on.

As for friend's kid, did his health get better after stopping milk?
Old 24th January 2017, 19:04   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
the doctor .. advised the parents to stop immediately
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
As for friend's kid, did his health get better after stopping milk?
These days the doctor's are advising all the parents to provide only mother's milk to the kid and after weaning not to provide any other milk/dairy products. For my niece too the doctor had advised the same telling my sister and mother to not give diary products but provide all the necessary proteins/calcium through veggies. The doctor is a renowned person and has more than 30+ yrs experience so for her to tell this there might be some truth. Not sure how the quality has reduced from the days we were kids as I was always asked to drink milk everyday without fail during my younger days.
Old 24th January 2017, 19:37   #57
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

In Bangalore, almost every residential locality has a park and the park generally has a Nandini outlet - safest to buy Nandini milk and milk products at these outlets. Almost eliminates chances of adulteration, old stuff etc., but do your due diligence always like checking the manufacturing timestamp, expiry etc.

Last edited by NPV : 24th January 2017 at 19:39.
Old 24th January 2017, 22:17   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
During my childhood we used to get milk for mother diary, a small spec of dust was enough to turn the milk into paneer, this usually doesn't happen these days with these packet milks.

Pramod
This could also be due to pasteurization.

I regularly make paneer with old milk packets. I use vinegar instead of lime juice as that is my personal preference.

On a rare occasion, after I add the acid to warm mild, very little curdling occurs.
I simply let it sit for about 15 mins and then again heat the milk. As soon as the boil occurs, I switch it off and add a little acid to it. The separation will be almost spontaneous.
Old 25th January 2017, 00:26   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My friends kid was getting sick in school quite often, when the doctor came to know the kid has a glass full of milk in the morning, he advised the parents to stop immediately.
Pramod
Or he/she might be lactose intolerant, please look in to this as well.
Old 2nd July 2022, 09:43   #60
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Sure, quick google throws up a few links about that:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...cle4918259.ece
Excerpt from the above article:

"The affidavit said that if skimmed milk powder were not to be added, toned and double-toned milk within the standards prescribed in the Food Safety Standard Regulations could not be produced in Kerala."

Does this mean that adding milk powder is an essential part of toned milk manufacturing process?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks