Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2022, 10:00   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: A1 vs A2 Cow Milk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Does this mean that adding milk powder is an essential part of toned milk manufacturing process?
From what I know:

How, do you think, dairies sell products other than milk ? The milk that's got from the milk-sellers is processed to extract some part - and the rest is sold as milk/skim milk.

Traditionally, we have made butter and ghee after curdling the milk. Today only some dairies claim to follow this "bilona' process - and they sell ghee at upto Rs 3k per kg. Compare this with what the dairies sell at.
Old 2nd July 2022, 10:03   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
From what I know:
Today only some dairies claim to follow this "bilona' process - and they sell ghee at upto Rs 3k per kg. Compare this with what the dairies sell at.
Ghee at Rs 3 per kg? Is there some typo, or am I missing something?
Old 2nd July 2022, 10:17   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Ghee at Rs 3 per kg? Is there some typo, or am I missing something?
You did miss the 'k'

The sellers who sell at that rate includes one family I know. They have a large number of cows, well taken care of. And the ghee is prepared traditionally.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 20:49   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Eating healthy includes eating foods that are healthy themselves (roughly speaking). One thing I am noticing is - when we leave the A2 milk from Akshayakalpa outside the fridge/ at room temp, the milk doesnt get spoilt. Very unlike the regular milk from Nandini/other dairies).

(On a related note - we sometimes grow tomatoes in an organic way. I have left the tomatoes outside on the kitchen counter for more than month, and yet they remain fresh. This is what I mean about foods being healthy by themselves)

Last edited by condor : 11th July 2022 at 20:52.
Old 11th July 2022, 21:42   #65
One
BHPian

Quote:
One thing I am noticing is - when we leave the A2 milk from Akshayakalpa outside the fridge/ at room temp, the milk doesnt get spoilt. Very unlike the regular milk from Nandini/other dairies).

(On a related note - we sometimes grow tomatoes in an organic way. I have left the tomatoes outside on the kitchen counter for more than month, and yet they remain fresh. This is what I mean about foods being healthy by themselves)
Am not sure about the above. I have seen regular, non-ghee mithai picked up from market (not good quality ones) not get spoilt for days when kept in the open. Also experimented with the patty of a McDonald burger, didn't catch any fungus or insects for days together when kept outside. My conclusion was these are so bad that even microbes keep away from them
One is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 21:47   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
My conclusion was these are so bad that even microbes keep away from them
I too have read stories about the Mc patties.

But with the examples I quoted, esp the tomatoes - no two ways about it. Key point - self grown.
Old 12th July 2022, 10:09   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
when we leave the A2 milk from Akshayakalpa outside the fridge/ at room temp, the milk doesnt get spoilt.
Milk by it's very nature should get spoilt when left outside no? And is it safe to consume when left unrefrigerated for x amount of time?
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 14:48   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Milk by it's very nature should get spoilt when left outside no? And is it safe to consume when left unrefrigerated for x amount of time?
What has been happening is, the milk from previous day has been left outside and it's 5-6 hours before I finish it (preparing tea). I cant even try the same with dairy milk.

Coming back to the tomato example, try keeping the tomatoes that you normally get in the market in the fridge for a week - and still it will start rotting. The ones I have grown doesnt even wrinkle for the first 5 weeks.

It's all about how naturally the milk is produced - starting from feeding the cows with organic feed.

Do you know - jersey/HF cows fall ill often, and they are given injections for recovery. Often, the owners are told not to milk the cows for 10-15 days. Do you think they will forego the money ?

10 litres x 2 x 28 = 560 rupees per day
for 10 days, that's 5600 rupees.

They wont. They will still milk the cow and supply it to the dairies. Even otherwise, the feed is more quantity (because the feed is grown with chemical fertilizers).

Before we had refrigerators, how do you think the milk was used ? Milk the cows (desi) in the morning, boil it a earthen pot, and leave the pot in the cup-board. Same for the milk from evening. Left over milk used to be set for curdling.

Have seen all this. Dont ever remember milk getting spoilt - summer, winter, what ever the season.
Old 12th July 2022, 14:50   #69
BHPian

i have experienced the same, the duration is longer for A2 milk not getting spoiled if we kept outside
Old 12th July 2022, 16:04   #70
BHPian

The worst is the harmonal injection given to bovines to increase milk production. Even after ban, the practice is quite prevalent.
attinder is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 16:10   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Before we had refrigerators, how do you think the milk was used ? Milk the cows (desi) in the morning, boil it a earthen pot,
Well, if you boil it, then it will keep.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 16:14   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Well, if you boil it, then it will keep.
Try it. Boiled once after milking is standard practice. Boiled Dairy milk wont last.
Old 12th July 2022, 17:56   #73
Senior - BHPian

I dare say it can't be healthy to keep food outside in the room temperature for say more than 2 hours or so.

We have refrigerators now for a reason. Might as well use it.

But hey, one does one what one does.
Old 12th July 2022, 18:08   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Olden Ways

Earthenware pots:
porous. This allows slight evaporation from the surface, which has a cooling effect. Hmmm... I don't think the milk will make it all the way through, but one can wet the outside of the pot.

Wet cloths, etc: draped over pots. Again, a low-tech cooling aid.

I remember my first days in my own place here, with no fridge. Whatever I tried I could not make milk last longer than five hours until I got a fridge. But I do admit, this was ordinary shop-bought milk.

I'm personally against earthenware. I'm sure that its porous structure is a wonderful breading ground for microbes!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks