Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2015, 19:07   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your favourite streaming music service (radio)?

Plenty of good stuff out there but an app that caught my attention was Songza; based on the hour and day of the week, it will play songs according to your mood. Uses really good algorithms and spits out some fresh tunes as well Recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it out yet
Old 1st December 2015, 19:24   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sounds like a deal. Are the files locked, as in you can play them only on the Gaana app?
Yup, Locked to the App. But not in a complex way. 3 simple steps they do.
  • Downloaded songs folder is hidden by default
  • Extension is changed
  • The song meta data (name and other details) are separated from the song file. So the downloaded file just has a number as its name.
Old 1st December 2015, 19:37   #33

Try Aha Radio, it is now available in India from Playstore & iTunes. It organizes your favorite Internet content into personalized, live, and on-demand radio stations, making it easy to instantly access your favorite stuff on the go, all from a single dashboard. Broadcasts includes Internet radio, podcasts, music, traffic, audiobooks, Facebook, Twitter, and more . All stations are available as icons(presets) on your phone . AHA Radio is owned by Harman.
Old 1st December 2015, 20:04   #34
BHPian

TuneIn radio pro and spotify are the best ones to me, though aol radio available 6-7 years ago was the best I have tasted so far in terms of online radio. Capital fm and Slacker Radio are worth a mention too.
Old 1st December 2015, 21:05   #35
MDe
BHPian

I have used RadioTunes for the past couple of years and it has worked well. Works on my Ubuntu as well as phone. Nice playlists and music by genres. I have been using the free version so I do get some messages in between but its still very minimal. Overall works well.
Old 1st December 2015, 22:04   #36
BHPian

Used rdio for almost a year regularly and di.fm occasionally. Now that rdio is bought by Pandora and may not serve India anymore, switched to Apple Music.
Old 1st December 2015, 22:07   #37
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried the Tidal service? They claim to be the only ones to offer lossless levels of streaming quality music. I tried their free 30 day period (and then forgot to cancel the subscription )
I do detect a better music quality when using headphones, but i dont think it is worth the extra cost, unless you have a music setup that can make full use of it.
Old 1st December 2015, 22:07   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_convert View Post
I recently started to use the subscription plan of rdio, I don't know what's going to happen to the Indian part of it now that they are being bought by Pandora.

Rdio has been very good for their large music collection, very rarely do I come across something they don't have.
It's said that it'll stop in a few days and they are refunding lest any subscriptions are on going.
Old 1st December 2015, 23:23   #39
BHPian

I too like Saavn interface. Normally rely on my handpicked collection loaded into a USB (which keeps changing) during my drives.

Looks like people are using VPN for spotify/netflix and other streaming services. Since the Black Friday/Cyber Monday week is on, there are great deals on VPN subscriptions. PIA has yearly one for 30 dollars in case some one is looking for.

Last edited by rejeen : 1st December 2015 at 23:27.
Old 1st December 2015, 23:36   #40
BHPian

I'm a paid subscriber of Saavn.com with nearly 500 songs downloaded to my phone. With just Rs. 99/- per month, i really enjoy their collection and find the audio quality and app to be good enough. Although they need to improve the song discovery algorithms a bit.

Have used Gaana.com as well but haven't subscribed to it. Will try di.fm now that it has been recommended by quite a lot of people.
Old 2nd December 2015, 03:05   #41

I am a regular user of 8tracks. It has user made lists of songs. Multiple lists made for studying or driving or meditating or even dancing etc. Lists are also marked as platinum or golden or silver according to popularity.
Do check it out. It has made me bump into some unknown artists which need to recognized. Btw, it's FREE.
Old 2nd December 2015, 08:37   #42
BHPian

I prefer Wync (Which extends every month for free) for Bollywood stuff and Spotify on my rooted android(Without VPN).
Old 2nd December 2015, 09:35   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Can you please translate this for a non-tech guy? I tried to use it but says that the app can't be used in India
Hello,

Download Hola from playstore - run it and you have access to Spotify, Netflix, BB iplayer etc etc.

This is free as in free beer.
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:44   #44
BHPian

Been using Gaana paid subscription and Radio Tunes in between. Still prefer Gaana. Prefer mainly english songs. Would love to try the VPN option to get Spotify but its a tedious process to do it via the mobile right? And Di.fm is Digitally Imported app in Android eh? Is it subscription based like Gaana as well?
Since I have hardly any time to enjoy music at home, it's the Idea 3G connection I use to stream from my phone to the car stereo or headset when I use the company cabs.

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 2nd December 2015 at 10:49.
Old 2nd December 2015, 11:20   #45
BHPian

I have been using Apple Music and Saavn for listening to online music and radio so far and quite like the experience and quality of music that are being served.

I have downloaded the di.fm (aka Digitally Imported App) from iTunes Store and quite enjoying the new found app and music content on it. Thanks a ton for sharing the same GTO.

Cheers!

Most Viewed