Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2009, 10:38   #481
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
The only option is to go next door to Good Earth.
Good Earth is the furniture store, I think you mean The Tasting Room.
Very nice place, chic ambiance, pretty good food too.

Checked out the Saltwater cafe in Bandra over the the weekend. Nice interiors, although I wasnt pleased with my food the rest on the table were pretty happy.
They have a nice bar and private dinning room on the 2nd floor, perfect for a party of 25 people.
Old 21st January 2009, 11:21   #482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Checked out the Saltwater cafe in Bandra
There is a small place called "Adi's" bang oppsit Saltwater Cafe. Quite good for grabbing something quickly. They make amazing Baida Roti , Brain Kabab and Surmai Fry.
Old 21st January 2009, 11:55   #483
BHPian

Talking about Matunga S.I food how come no one has mentioned Sharda Bhavan. It is bang opposite the station and i am regular at the hotel since last 30 years and the taste of sambhar, chutni, other food items has remained the same through out. I just love the place. Serves limited items but are absolutely delicious.
Old 21st January 2009, 12:27   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
The only option is to go next door to Good Earth.
Isn't there a sizzler joint somewhere near the end of the flyover on Mahalaxmi side? Kobes or Yokos?
Old 21st January 2009, 12:30   #485
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
Isn't there a sizzler joint somewhere near the end of the flyover on Mahalaxmi side? Kobes or Yokos?
thats kobe. nothing great either.
Old 21st January 2009, 12:31   #486
BHPian

Kalpesh you get somewhat good sizzlers at Bombay Blues Try it out!
Old 21st January 2009, 13:00   #487
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
thats kobe. nothing great either.
Yup thats Kobe's but place is closed. So no Kobe there any more. If you are in Phoenix Mills and want sizzlers go to Bombay Blues but I didnt like sizzlers out there much.
Phoenix is my second home. lol
Old 21st January 2009, 13:09   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Good sizzlers also at Cafe Royal at coloba and fountain cafe at fort.
Old 21st January 2009, 14:42   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Good Earth is the furniture store, I think you mean The Tasting Room.
Yes Sahil, im sure thats what Aadhish (Khanak) meant, unless hes got a palate for furniture, tapestry and wax, not to mention essential oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhatau View Post
Talking about Matunga S.I food how come no one has mentioned Sharda Bhavan. It is bang opposite the station and i am regular at the hotel since last 30 years and the taste of sambhar, chutni, other food items has remained the same through out. I just love the place. Serves limited items but are absolutely delicious.
Yes. Sharda Bhavan is known for its coffee. I knew of an accounts professor Mr Raman,who would call us for classes at 6.30am at Matunga. Why not earlier??.. Coz he had to get his morning perk form Sharda Bhavan only and it only opened fr business at around that time. One of the best Upmas i have had ( a tad oily though). Im not a fan of their sambhar as it emits a very strong whiff of coconut oil. Good Ghee sada too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Kalpesh you get somewhat good sizzlers at Bombay Blues Try it out!
Really? You like the place Sohail. Maybe you went on one of their good days. I dont think they serve anything really good. Very ok-ish food.

This morning visited the Cafe Colony, off Tilak bridge, after my morning jog, with a friend. We were so ravenous,we ordered a Brun Maska, half Kheema and Akuri. Washed it all down with superb tea.

Good Kheema in an Irani restaurant, with Brun is to be eaten in a certain way.
The Kheema (never be too dry or else it will kill the taste) normally comes with a hint of gravy, outlined by oil. You break the Brun (does not have to be with maska) and dip the piece in the kheema. You let it soak up some of the gravy (which includes the oil) and then, with a spoon held in your other hand, push the kheema, very gently on to your brun.
Once in your mouth you will get a burst of spice and spiked oil flavoured with the masalas. Mmmmm!! Instant nirvana.

I tell you I have eaten a lot of Kheema almost at every place worth its salt in Bombay but this one is one of the better ones. In fact quite close to being the best. Its definitely one of my top rated.

The kheema is also coupled with the friendly chatter of the Irani Uncle (owner0 at the counter flashing his smile with gold and silver capped teeth, greetin each community in their own mother tongue. He always greets me with a "Sat Sri Akal" and I respond back with a Sahebji.

Aon many a day, i take a few of his crisp bruns home to make a good garlic bread.

Kheema & Brun Maska.

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-21012009795.jpg

The quintessential Irani Tea must be had with the brun maska. Sprinkle with sugar and dip in the tea.

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-21012009796.jpg

The other day I was in Pm road area around Fort. In the lane where Ideal restaurant stands, right at the end where the road turns back onto the main road, in the corner there is a small cold drink house which serves refreshing and frothy Lassi, both, sweet and salted. Also one can try their sweet curd pre set in small tea glasses, much on the likes of K Rustom and Co. at Churchgate opp the Ambassador hotel.

The lassi is nothing great but is nice and cool. I tend to always stop there for a bit and whallop down a glass or two of the sweeter variety.

The cool and refreshing, frothy sweet Lassi (the guy sitting next to me thought i was bonkers taking snaps of the glass)

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-15012009794.jpg

While we are on the topic, i have earlier spoken a lot about the thin and crisp Pizzas at Cellini at the Grand Hyatt at Vakola. Here is a pic. The pick is the Parma ham and Rocket (also called Aragula) leaves pizza with shavings of cheese. Its not to be found as yet on the menu but as soon as you mention it the steward will know what you are talking about. For the vegetarians, the sun dried tomato with rocket is a great combo. Do try it with a glass of chilled Chardonnay or similar white wine.

The Parma and Rocket Pizza.

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-08122008774.jpg
Old 21st January 2009, 14:49   #490
BHPian

Damn you Gogs! You've made me ravenous and there's no Pritam in the near vicinity of my home; no Irani restaurant either!
I'm coming to Mumbai for a month and making you my personal food guru cum guide. Now find me a place to stay!
Old 21st January 2009, 15:22   #491
BHPian

Gogi sir,
Keep sprinkling your posts with pics like these. Just reading about food is one thing but seeing it's picture with your description is something quite unique. Makes you want to go to that place and experience it yourself.

I'll definitely look forward to joining the gang on a foodie meet with you. Your passion and knowledge about food are something to be appreciated.
Old 21st January 2009, 15:50   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
I'm coming to Mumbai for a month and making you my personal food guru cum guide.
Vikru, also get your jogging gear along . This kind of vigorous food needs an exercise regime to match:
Note:- I was there after a 5 km jog + a 4 km walk, this morning.

Quote:
Gogi sir,
Keep sprinkling your posts with pics like these. Just reading about food is one thing but seeing it's picture with your description is something quite unique. Makes you want to go to that place and experience it yourself.

I'll definitely look forward to joining the gang on a foodie meet with you. Your passion and knowledge about food are something to be appreciated.
Thanks bud. You are welcome to join us anytime. The more the merrier.
Old 21st January 2009, 15:52   #493
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday, took some customers to Copper Chimney worli for lunch at 3pm. We decided on the buffet, and it was very very good. 375+ taxes pp. Total VFM. The spread was very good, and they were replenishing regularly. Mutton boti kebab was the best of the spread, with their special chutney. Prawn biryani was good, but could do with more prawns though, which i guess is a problem everywhere since prawns are scarce[expensive]! They even had a chat counter with the starters[german potato very good]. Will go back asap, but with time in hand, to be able to do justice to the spread[enjoy as a 5 course instead of 2 course].
Old 21st January 2009, 15:54   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Vikru, also get your jogging gear along . This kind of vigorous food needs an exercise regime to match:
Note:- I was there after a 5 km jog + a 4 km walk, this morning.

Kya Gogibhai, you know my exercise routine starts the night before. I have this liquid pre-breakfast routine that makes getting out of bed feel like a 2-hr workout

I'll do the walk; trotting is best left to horses
Old 21st January 2009, 15:56   #495
Senior - BHPian

Vikram you are something else man. Chal atta ye lavker!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks