Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2009, 08:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Carpooling for Kerala IT community

For Tvm guys.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd June 2009 at 16:00. Reason: Merged.
Old 3rd June 2009, 17:56   #32
BHPian

I am doing car pooling since nearly 2 yrs with my colleague. As our work timings are same, we need not have to wait much for each others, it's working fine.
Old 3rd June 2009, 20:04   #33
BHPian

i have been car pooling for about 2.5 years now!
Old 3rd June 2009, 20:08   #34
BHPian

I have been doing car pooling with my colleagues for about 3 months now. Saving nearly 2/3rd of my monthly fuel bills.
Old 4th June 2009, 09:37   #35
BHPian

I travel from Kalkaji to Gurgaon ( Unitech Cyber Park, Sector 39 ) daily.

I start at 0730 from Kalkaji and leave Gurgaon by 1730, the time can be + - by an hour.

Anybody game for this?
Old 4th June 2009, 14:42   #36

guys check out India’s first GPS based premier car pooling services.

Something really new ! should work !

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th June 2009 at 16:51. Reason: shud = should. Please type in full words and avoid SMS language as per Team-BHP rules.
Old 4th June 2009, 22:43   #37
BHPian

I have been car pooling with two of my colleagues for more than a year now. All of us stay at HSR Layout and travel to Whitefield Road. In a typical week, I have to drive for <= 2 days in the bangalore traffic and not to mention the savings in fuel.
Old 12th June 2009, 10:11   #38
BHPian

Car pool available (for monsoons June. July and August at least)

Route: Kharghar - Vashi - Priyadarshani - Sion - Bandra West (Pali Naka) and back.
Time Morning: Kharghar-7:45 AM, Vashi - 8 AM
Time Return: Leave from Bandra between 7 and 8 PM, rest on traffic.
Car: Maruti Zen with AC
Space available: 2 (me and my colleague are already there)
Payment options: As per your budget, this is chiefly not for reducing my cost, but to pool the resource (car)
Old 4th November 2009, 12:41   #39

I dont do a car pool.. Why ? :-))
My company encourages work from home. I go to office only a day in a week.
Telecommute is on option companies are exploring:

1. Saves commute time. Resources dedicate the saved time for work
2. No tiredness, no jams, peace of mind
3. Save on fuel and reducing carbon footprint
4. Go for long drives with saved fuel :-))
Old 4th November 2009, 14:00   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbhowmi View Post
I dont do a car pool.. Why ? :-))
My company encourages work from home. I go to office only a day in a week.
Telecommute is on option companies are exploring:

1. Saves commute time. Resources dedicate the saved time for work
2. No tiredness, no jams, peace of mind
3. Save on fuel and reducing carbon footprint
4. Go for long drives with saved fuel :-))
does your company have any openings??

I travel from Banaswadi to Yelahanka everyday to work and 2 of us car pool alternating cars every week. We do not have company transport and the only alternative to cars is BMTC. changing the bus at hebbal is what primarily discourages me from using bus. else, i don't mind the volvo buses.
Old 4th November 2009, 17:01   #41
BHPian

Time to change probably

Hi,

Nothing comes easy in life I suppose. And there will be million reasons not to change. And add to that we all like our comfort zones. But then the problem keeps growing to the point where things start to fall apart and then change is enforced rather than it being voluntary.

I too work in IT industry and had weird and unforeseen office timings. I used to drive to office alone. And everyday I used to curse people for blocking way, increasing traffic etc. Then I realized that I am cursing at myself too.

I started doing car pooling from Bannergatta Road to Leela Palace (office opposite Leela) everyday for the last 2 months. Life has really changed. The poolers (including me) get to drive only 1 week in a month. So huge savings on petrol. There are 3 less cars on the road now. So less traffic. We reduce pollution to a certain extent. We (all poolers including) changed a bit of our working schedule to suit the car pooling. It was difficult to start with, but now we are used to it. We get to spend additional time at home and with family. No love lost.

So yes, it is difficult, but trust me, not impossible. I would really like to encourage everyone to try it and take some pain initially, but benefit in the long run.
Old 4th November 2009, 17:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

I have been car pooling with a colleague of mine for 3.5 years now. It helps that he is on my way to the office, and he was my team-mate till very recently. Also, since we can connect and work from home too, we can pre-decide the timings and work accordingly. It is really convenient.
Old 4th November 2009, 18:06   #43
BHPian

Its been 2 weeks since I've been car-pooling with a colleague from work. I primarily commute by my motorcycles, but make sure I take the car twice a week, to keep it in running form. As with most others in IT, my timings are hugely irregular, and have been out of control.

My colleague recently bought a used Accent, and as he is not confident enough to drive alone, asked me to pool with him till he is comfortable. I've taken this as an opportunity to establish a saner routine for workdays, and have in the bargain been able to bicycle for an hour every morning, and spend a couple of waking hours at home in the evening. Unfortunately, he prefers to let me drive, and I usually oblige, but I'm going to have to make him drive more often. Another colleague is about to finalize his car by December, and will join our pool, and help cut the costs even more.

The routine is making me learn to prioritise pending work, and figure out how to say 'No' more often to inane requests. I get to drive a petrol sedan in the bargain, and eat some nice Gujrati snacks every now and then. All in all, with the fuel savings, its a sweet deal. I'm looking forward to be able use the hour long drive to work to catch up on my reading and music. All in good time, I suppose.

The only regret is I get to bike less on workdays, but we make up for it by taking the bikes out on weekend mornings for longer rides, and pampering them more.

Cheers,
Old 8th February 2010, 15:13   #44
BHPian

Car Pooling - Chennai

I didn't find a thread for Chennai. If it exists then please merge it.

To-Fro: Medavakkam to Santhome
Route:
Medavakkam - pallikaranai - Velachery - Tharamani - Adyar - Santhome
OR
Medavakkam - Sholinganallur - OMR - Tharamani - Adyar - Santhome
Start Time : Start at 11.30 am - 11.45 am from home. so i can pick up anyone on this route.
Return Time : Leave from Santhome around 10.15 pm to 10.30 pm
Car: Scorpio
Space available: I am travelling alone so i can take 6 more.

This is open for anyone. i can do it as help to anyone of your family if they travel in this route. your parents, bro/sis, elder people anyone... I really feel guilty to travel all alone in such big vehicle. Even one occupant could give me some peace of mind and also help them to get away from chennai heat.

Even if its not regular, just call me anytime if someone needs help to pick up and drop in this route at this time.

Last edited by klassics45 : 8th February 2010 at 15:32.
Old 9th February 2010, 21:31   #45
BHPian

me and my wife car pool to office

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks