Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2006, 20:59   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Tribute, Ibanez makes great VFM axes so stick to them.

kooldude where in mumbai are you there are quite a few good teachers around esp. in Bandra.
hey bro i live in sion can u give me any numbers if you have it wud be very much appreciated
Old 7th December 2006, 20:13   #17
BHPian

Finally bought my guitar. A Ibanez GRG170DX. Also bought a Marshall MG15CDR

Pics :

Old 5th July 2008, 00:24   #18
BHPian

try youtube its the best. If you need more info PM me i'll be glad to send you a few links
Old 5th July 2008, 00:31   #19

@bluestraveller, He put this up in 2006. And i am pretty sure that he is not active on this forum for a number of reasons. Jiggy, isnt this your friend??
Old 5th July 2008, 00:36   #20
Team-BHP Support

I know this is a bit late for kool dude but for those in Mumbai (esp South Mumbai) the best place to locate a teacher is at Furtados in Dhobi Talao. For Piano and Violin, try Melhi Metha's Music Academy at Kemp's Corner.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2008, 01:23   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
And i am pretty sure that he is not active on this forum for a number of reasons.
Wonder why you say that!!
Anyways, he's moved to the US a month ago.

manson.
Old 7th July 2008, 11:02   #22
BHPian

Any good Guitar classes in Bangalore? Preferably, running on week-ends or evenings.

Regards
Rex
Old 10th July 2008, 22:35   #23
BHPian

Favorite Guitarists:

Carlos Santana
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Slash
Keith Peters(Desi bass)
John Petrucci
Jimi Hendrix
David Gilmour

Favorite Solos:

Hollow Years (Live)- Dream theater
Hotel California(Live)- The Eagles
Flor d' Luna, I'll be Waiting, Europa, etc..- Carlos Santana
If I Could Fly- Joe Satriani
Voodoo Child- Jimi hendrix
Time- David Gilmour
many more..
Old 11th July 2008, 14:34   #24
BHPian

My set up is a simple Yamaha Pacifica 112 Guitar, with a Marshall 15 DFX, they go together well, the Marshall 15 DFX is a decent sounding Amp and the Pacifica is a no nonsence basic guitar.

My Fav artist have to be.

Joe Satriani (Satch)
Jeff Beck
Eddie Van Halen
Lee Retinour
Stanley Jordon
Steve Vai
Andy Timmons
Old 14th February 2009, 21:57   #25
BHPian

Hi All - I plan to start learning some guitar - primarily inspired by a lot of rock i listen to and the occasional john mayer live stuff. My luck with learning guitars has not been so good, as I started learning twice and shifted with 10-15 days to a different city. It has been 4 years now, since my last attempt and I gave the heavily out of tune giVson (not gibson!!) a shot, but somehow got frustrated as acoustics take a lot of work. I do know that electrics are easier for beginners and keep you motivated as results come out faster. Also with work taking priority, i plan to learn myself and mostly play some songs i like

Need suggestions on buying a good beginner electric - something which I can just go and pickup from the store as I am not sure if I can try out guitars (have zero skills ) Is the yamaha pacifica 012 or 112 a good first choice or should I look at something like the ibanez 170dx. Also i am guessing I need an amp (marshall?). What would this setup cost me?

Whats a good store in bangy - reynolds I keep hearing a lot about?

TIA for any advice.
Old 26th September 2009, 21:07   #26
BHPian

Guitars+Tube amps+Recording=Trouble?

Hello fellow guitarists,

This is my current rig:-

Guitars-
1.Ibanez RG Prestige with Dimarzio Evo pickups.
2.Tansen Jackson-copy with EMG pickups.
3.Epiphone LP copy
4.Some local bass guitar with EMG pickups.

Amplifier-
Laney LC15R tube amplifier modified to give a serial effects loop and jensen speakers.
A DIY bass amp.

Effects and stage rig-
Boss GT-8 for the guitar
Korg AX10 for the Bass

Now, I use the amplifier for practice and more than happy with it. I just cant record with it. I dont want to invest in a good microphone unless im sure thats the only solution. Is it? Whats the easiest way to record music? Do the multiple input soundcards work as well as they claim? Or is a mixer with the output to a computer the best way to go? Is there any way to reduce the volume on the amp but still get maximum overdrive?

On a seperate note, I would love to hear recomendations on the setup for listening to music. Though I'd prefer buying them, DIY is an option as well. My knowledge on Speakers and Amplifiers outside the guitar world is extremely limited. My budget for the whole setup is one lakh. And if i save enought from it, I would get myself a new guitar and a headphone amplifier.

Thank you
Arvind

PS-I dont mind the music system coloring the music a little. I prefer things a bit warm.
Old 26th September 2009, 21:18   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post
Hello fellow guitarists,

This is my current rig:-

Guitars-
1.Ibanez RG Prestige with Dimarzio Evo pickups.
2.Tansen Jackson-copy with EMG pickups.
3.Epiphone LP copy
4.Some local bass guitar with EMG pickups.

Amplifier-
Laney LC15R tube amplifier modified to give a serial effects loop and jensen speakers.
A DIY bass amp.

Effects and stage rig-
Boss GT-8 for the guitar
Korg AX10 for the Bass

Now, I use the amplifier for practice and more than happy with it. I just cant record with it. I dont want to invest in a good microphone unless im sure thats the only solution. Is it? Whats the easiest way to record music? Do the multiple input soundcards work as well as they claim? Or is a mixer with the output to a computer the best way to go? Is there any way to reduce the volume on the amp but still get maximum overdrive?

On a seperate note, I would love to hear recomendations on the setup for listening to music. Though I'd prefer buying them, DIY is an option as well. My knowledge on Speakers and Amplifiers outside the guitar world is extremely limited. My budget for the whole setup is one lakh. And if i save enought from it, I would get myself a new guitar and a headphone amplifier.

Thank you
Arvind

PS-I dont mind the music system coloring the music a little. I prefer things a bit warm.
Dude have you checked out "Line 6" amps? They sound really great (especially if you play rock and metal) come loaded with distortion, effects, have an audio out for recording your stuff and audio inn for jamming with your favorite music. the best part is that the're not very expensive either.

I have a line 6 spider iii (15 watts) with my Dean MLX guitar and am very happy with the sound and the effects.

Last edited by Wolfheart : 26th September 2009 at 21:19.
Old 26th September 2009, 21:23   #28
BHPian

Oh, I have tried those amps and they are pretty good. But even the basic tube amps are leagues ahead with the overdriven sound. The downside is that you would need to play it with the volume pretty high and thats a big problem for most people. Go to the local music store and try them out, you wont play anything else!
Old 28th September 2009, 10:34   #29
BHPian

Thats true regarding the volume problem, Marshall's are pretty good for room practise.

Line 6 & Peavey are way too loud.

I had to settle for a Marshall MG10CD due to the high volume problem.
But the amp is great for room practise. The overdrive effect it has is pretty good. I have an Ibanez GRG270 axe also.

Only problem is i'm way too a novice to fully utilise the capabilities and sounds the two combined can give out. Practising, practising and practising.
Old 28th September 2009, 13:09   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
Thats true regarding the volume problem, Marshall's are pretty good for room practise.

Line 6 & Peavey are way too loud.

I had to settle for a Marshall MG10CD due to the high volume problem.
But the amp is great for room practise. The overdrive effect it has is pretty good. I have an Ibanez GRG270 axe also.

Only problem is i'm way too a novice to fully utilise the capabilities and sounds the two combined can give out. Practising, practising and practising.
the Line 6 amp is pretty loud. I play at just 10% of the volume and it shakes up my neighbors. However if you want quiet room practice then you can attach your headphones to it and jam at anytime of the day or night!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks