Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2018, 12:26   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

re: IKEA stores in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Seriously?! Obviously what one does with their time is no one's business but their own, but just curious why someone would consider driving 600km to check out what is essentially a big shop.
And here I am planning to drive from Cochin . We almost finalized it (confirmed our stay) but had to drop it since we might have a Chennai and Bangalore drive soon.

But this is anyways in the pipeline and might plan one in couple of months. Once that's ready, I will definitely have many questions for guys who have visited the store.
Old 6th October 2018, 13:00   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
Interested in picking up some stuff, like tables and some other furniture which come in flat packages, but those will not fit into the boot of my car.
Can someone suggest the safest mode of moving these from hyderabad to bangalore? How about intercity busses, any idea how much they charge?
Is it per kg or by volume?
Am in the same boat.

I visited IKEA Hyderabad on day 2 as soon as it opened (as I chanced to be in Hyderabad that day with spare time to kill). Carried a few stuff back, but am really looking forward to some bigger purchases e.g. a bunk bed for my kids (haven't found any thing better and VFM for IKEA bunk beds) and would want to ship it back to Bangalore. Assembly is typically not a problem, as I like doing it myself.

This is what i am primary looking for (besides some other stuff)
https://www.ikea.com/in/en/p/svaerta...lour-90247974/

If you have figured out the way, or if anyone else has inputs to share please let me know.

Thought of looking for a trucking option, but does not seem viable. Inputs welcome.
Old 6th October 2018, 13:33   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Can someone suggest the safest mode of moving these from hyderabad to bangalore?
How about intercity busses, any idea how much they charge?
Is it per kg or by volume?
Quote:
Am in the same boat.
Guess it'd be a long shot but have you guys inquired at the IKEA store only, if they can ship to Bangalore, reason being they've a tie-up with GATI, for shipping items which are flat-packed and more than a certain volume/weight limit. If IKEA cannot then maybe GATI might be able to help; or I could be completely wrong as well.
IMO the intercity buses do not have any fixed charge per size/weight, it all depends on your negotiating skills, but they sure would be convenient.
Old 8th October 2018, 00:39   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Read somewhere that the cafe in IKEA was in the wrong news for serving bad food recently?? Or someone managed to find insects or so! A bhpians had given a good feedback in the first week or so, checking what's wrong in such a short time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Seriously?! Obviously what one does with their time is no one's business but their own, but just curious why someone would consider driving 600km to check out what is essentially a big shop...
C'mon, you are on t-bhp!! The whole idea is the drive, it's just that we need to have a destination.

Just last week, two of us drove for 8 hours because we wanted to have a good lunch. Here, at least the person has something a little more worthwhile (for justification) - I am still managing the odd looks when someone asked the reason for the drive.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 8th October 2018 at 00:41.
Old 8th October 2018, 13:27   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Well guess I was wrong and the IKEA experience certainly seems compelling. As someone who worked in and still retains a big interest in branding and advertising, I think it's very interesting how they've gone about structuring the whole thing.

I just hope they don't open in Bangalore! Both my wife and mother are inveterate collectors of furniture. Our house already has enough furniture, crockery, and linen to furnish 2 homes! I love empty spaces and would dearly love to get rid a lot of stuff. Plus I keep bumping into things at home. I can't imagine them buying anything more, but if IKEA is really that amazing, I fear...
Old 8th October 2018, 13:46   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Am in the same boat.

I visited IKEA Hyderabad on day 2 as soon as it opened (as I chanced to be in Hyderabad that day with spare time to kill). Carried a few stuff back, but am really looking forward to some bigger purchases e.g. a bunk bed for my kids (haven't found any thing better and VFM for IKEA bunk beds) and would .
Looking for something similar. An idea. We can rent an merc E class in Avis for about 10k/day, start by 6 am reach by mid day, buy the cot and return back by late evening to bangalore. 100 litre diesel would cost another 7k.
Old 8th October 2018, 14:55   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Looking for something similar. An idea
What an IKEA (sic) sirji!

Keeping sight of the fact that many Bengalureans are planning something similar, its time RSUDARSANAN and mobike008 join hands and arrange a rendezvous there. Will serve three purposes close to Bhpians' hearts - a drive, an eat and an opportunity for a little diy.

I would have suggested hiring a special flight a la Kabali, but we Live and Love to Drive. So, a drive it is .
Old 12th October 2018, 16:45   #68
BHPian

Started early morning on Friday, and reached Hyderabad by around 1 PM, drove straight into Ikea, without even checking into our hotel.
The cafe only had Chicken Meatballs and Meatballs with rice on the non-veg menu.
Spent the rest of the day browsing through the store.
Came in at 10 Am on Saturday morning and started buying the stuff that we had shortlisted the previous day. Had travelled light from Bangalore, so filled the boot with items that would fit in.
The study tables and linnmon desks (2 meter long) that we bought wouldn't fit in the boot. Tried contacting some travel operators to check on options for transporting these to Bangalore. But the response was not very encouraging. Contacted the Ikea delivery desk and they put me on to a third party logistics provider who would do door delivery to Bangalore and he charges around 23 rupees per kilo.
Handed over the large and heavy items, he charged five hundred extra for 'Packing'.
Was not very sure of the quality of service, and the condition in which the packages would arrive, but took a chance.
Got the delivery yesterday, and there was no extra 'packaging' as promised, but there were no visible damages. Put together the Alex drawer unit yesterday, and really enjoyed the task.
Old 12th October 2018, 21:44   #69
Senior - BHPian

Interesting to read this thread. People are driving all the way from Bangalore and other places to Hyderabad only to visit IKEA store. I stay in Hyderabad that too not that far from the store but till date have not visited the store. The opening day saw huge traffic jam and I was stuck for a while in it as I went to pick my daughter from school which is before the store. Would visit the store soon but traffic has been my primary concern on that route😐
Old 13th October 2018, 19:52   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Ikea to launch its second store and e-commerce operations by March 2019.

- Second store in Mumbai in March 2019

- Planning a third store in Bengaluru by 2020

Quote:
The company is also planning an investment worth Rs 2,000 crore to set up and expand its operation in Bengaluru. The 5 lakh square feet store will be operational by summer of 2020.
Quote:
The people in Hyderabad welcomed IKEA with great enthusiasm.Here is how people went crazy over IKEA's launch in Hyderabad.
IKEA stores in India-dkmjq66xgaamt32.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th October 2018 at 19:57.
Old 16th November 2018, 21:24   #71
Senior - BHPian

IKEA is planning to utilize agricultural waste as a raw material to manufacture furniture, reports weforum. This is also touted as an eco friendly solution to the pollution caused by burning crop waste, specially in the northern part of the country.

Quote:
it will start collecting rice straw from farmers in northern India to use it as raw material for the products sold here
Quote:
India will be the first market where the company will convert paddy residue into raw material for its products. “Starting off in India, IKEA wants to turn rice straw into a new renewable material source for IKEA products. The ambition is to create a model for how to reduce air pollution that could be replicated in other megacities,” said Helene Davidsson, sustainability manager at IKEA Purchasing south Asia
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:36   #72
Senior - BHPian

For the past two months there is no update in this thread. Looks like the IKEA hype has died down. How is occupancy and footfall now a days in IKEA? People still go and buy home products or it has become a giant food court Perhaps BHP-ians from Hyderabad can update about the current happenings at IKEA.
Old 22nd January 2019, 17:53   #73
BHPian

I am still using a large and heavy china cabinet, a sectional sofa, a dining table, a cast iron bed and lots of other fancy lights etc. bought almost 14 years back at the IKEA, Jersey store and hand assembled by myself. They have survived multiple moves within India as well as one via ocean freight when I relocated back to India years back. I can vouch for their quality and durability.

Alas, doesn't look like they're planning a store in NCR region anytime soon.
Old 22nd January 2019, 19:21   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
For the past two months there is no update in this thread. Looks like the IKEA hype has died down. How is occupancy and footfall now a days in IKEA? People still go and buy home products or it has become a giant food court Perhaps BHP-ians from Hyderabad can update about the current happenings at IKEA.
Went last weekend around 10-11am. Place is still crowded, lot of people coming to see and buy and eat. I once even went at 10 pm (it closes at 11pm) on a weekday and the place was still crowded !
Old 29th May 2019, 13:36   #75
Team-BHP Support

IKEA Mumbai warehouse looks close to completion...

Near Vashi : https://maps.app.goo.gl/tXUAWvasVZBUvsWQ8

IKEA stores in India-whatsapp-image-20190529-12.59.06-pm.jpeg

IKEA stores in India-whatsapp-image-20190529-12.59.07-pm.jpeg
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks