Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears

Old 17th July 2019, 16:54   #4306
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Bicycles thread

It is really scary when speeding vehicles pass inches away while cycling on the roads. As I have very severe hearing loss, I don't usually hear the vehicles till they are too close. So, I rely on optical methods. I tried the Garmin Radar (still use it) that detects approaching vehicles and displays them as moving dots on my Garmin head unit. But in this method, there is no way to know if the dot is a TVS50 or a bus. I had fixed a rear view mirror to the handle bar which helped. But once I fixed the aero bars, the hand rests of the aero bars totally blocked the rearview mirror. So, I had to turn over my shoulders quite often to keep on checking the traffic.

About a year back, I had come across some video reviews about a riding glass called TriEye with integrated rear view mirror.

https://trieye.com/

But at that time, it was still the review of the prototypes. A couple of months back, I revisited this web site and found that the glasses were on sale. I placed an order and got them within a week's time. But due to monsoon and other reasons, I could not do outdoor rides for the past couple of months. Today I went for an outdoor ride and got to try these glasses.

Though at 99 Euros, these glasses are expensive, for me, they are worth their weight in gold. Now all I have to do is slightly tilt my head and look at the mirror on the right glass and I get a crystal clear view of the road behind. While on the drop bar, the shoulder blocks most of the view and I have to slightly lift my head and tilt to get the full view of the roads. I was able to adjust to the glass in one ride.

A few pictures of the glass.

The glass comes packed well in a box.
The Bicycles thread-box.jpg

Inside the box, the glasses are placed neatly inside foam packing.
The Bicycles thread-foam-packed.jpg

There are three different shades of glass - clear, smoke tint and smoke tint with red revo. Have to choose based on the weather.
The Bicycles thread-three-lenses.jpg

The front view of the glass.
The Bicycles thread-tinted-glass.jpg

Each glass comes with an integrated rear view mirror. At the time of ordering, you can choose between right (for UK and India), left (for countries like US) and both. I chose the right side mirror option.
The Bicycles thread-right-side-mirror.jpg

The view of the road behind. The view looks narrow in this picture due to the angle and distance of the camera. When the glass is close to the eyes, the field of view expands a lot and gives a very wide view of the road behind. Difficult to capture this view in a picture or explain this in words.
The Bicycles thread-rear-view.jpg

Overall, I feel this is one of the best accessories one can get for cycling in India, as it adds an extra layer of safety.

Last edited by SDP : 20th July 2019 at 08:43. Reason: Minor typo :)
graaja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2019, 11:06   #4307
BHPian

Looks like another number just got added. Caad13. Twice as smooth, alloy road racer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
"over-achieving little brother of the CAAD12"
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_2204.jpg  

Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2019, 14:09   #4308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Looks like another number just got added. Caad13. Twice as smooth, alloy road racer.
There is a raging controversy/debate/rant worldwide between the purists who hate the look/shape and say its not a CAAD anymore than just in name coz it doesnt look like one and now looks like any other generic cookie-cutter drop seat-stay aero frame bike and the other side who say the ends (compliance, aero gains) justify the means (straying away from the legendary classical CAAD design philosophy).

I must say I belong to the first group. They should have kept this for the Super Six Evo and left the CAAD frame alone.

Personally, to an admittedly lesser extent I had the same feeling at the first look of the Optimo when it was released and I saw the neon green one in the flesh at Track n Trail ...

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 18th July 2019 at 14:22.
ebonho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2019, 16:13   #4309
BHPian

Quote:

I too will probably be on the lookout for a 12-28 8 speed cassette as my next replacement
I have done extensive internet search, but in 8 speed, there is no cassette available in 12-28 for Shimano drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
disclaimer- I'm not responsible for any damaged cassettes that might result from this experimentation .
. Thanks for the crisp explanation. This clarifies my doubts on 11t sprocket and hub compatibility.

But I don't intend to break cassette combination and create my own. I am looking for off the shelf solution, with max 28t sprocket.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2019, 16:31   #4310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I have done extensive internet search, but in 8 speed, there is no cassette available in 12-28 for Shimano drivetrain
You are right. None in SRAM or Sunrace either. Shimano used to have an XTR/XT 12-28 that they have now discontinued.

But there are 9 speed 11-28 cassettes. Like the Shimano CS-HG400.

11-12-13-14-16-18-21-24-28.

Is it possible to remove the 11, use the lock-ring on the 12 as the terminal cog, and then use a spacer (if needed ... coz 9 speed cogs being slightly thinner probably take as much width overall as a 8 speed cassette)?

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2019, 18:08   #4311
BHPian

This forum is such a treasure trove. I had booked fixmycycle.in, for work on my bike and sent several reminders - that I expect the work to be top-notch. And that I was a stickler for time etc. But still, they went about their wanton careless way and did not stick to time, citing traffic (what else!) Called it off over phone and I'm really glad it didn't go through, (and that they shot their own foot)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugatti View Post
so had fixmycycle come over for the 3 bikes.
This repair too didn't fix my Hercules. The guy who came over mentioned that the bottom set was probably the wrong size
Old 19th July 2019, 19:47   #4312
BHPian

Is the btwin rock rider in production now? Looking for a ceared version from this stable around 10-12k. Can anyone enlighten me?
srikanthns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2019, 20:25   #4313
BHPian

Yes they are in production. As it's said, buy bicycles one level higher than the budget
This seems apt https://www.decathlon.in/p/8513783_r...ike-black.html
vjoy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2019, 21:12   #4314
BHPian

Quote:
But there are 9 speed 11-28 cassettes. Like the Shimano CS-HG400.

11-12-13-14-16-18-21-24-28.

Is it possible to remove the 11, use the lock-ring on the 12 as the terminal cog, and then use a spacer (if needed ... coz 9 speed cogs being slightly thinner probably take as much width overall as a 8 speed cassette)?

Cheers, Doc
How will this cassette solve the big jump problem from 18-21? I think after removing 32, what you are adding is 13t cog? This will only make sense if you often use 14 but find 12 a bit stiffer.

I have no idea if one can use lock ring on the next cog.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2019, 13:21   #4315
BHPian

After all the discussions, suggestions, recommendations and pondering over available options, went ahead and purchased the Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105 (2019).
I considered Trek Domane AL 5, Giant Contend 1, Cannondale CAAD Optimo 105, BMC Teammachine ALR01 (105) before homing on to the Synapse. The decision to go for the 105 groupset was based primarily on the advise of many experienced cyclists here and in my circle who advocated for it as opposed to the Sora or Tiagra.
My need was for an Endurance geometry bike and the Synapse ticks all the boxes in that account. It is light weight and sturdy. The 2019 model also comes with the improved Shimano 105 R7000 groupset and Thru axle. It weighs around 9 kg and responds well with whatever I observed in a short ride of 25 km.
A word about the dealer. I spoke to many dealers and outlets in connection with the purchase. Track N Trail Hissar proved to be the best among them. Great guy, Prashant, very humble and patient in answering all queries at all. Gave me a very very good deal. The bike cost me 95k in total plus the insurance. Whole lot of stuff as complementary too was provided by him. All in all 10/10 to the buying experience and the Dealer.
Will share my experience with the machine in the days to come. Posting some photos for the consumption of the team here.
Once again thanks to everyone for their advise and suggestions.
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
The Bicycles thread-img_20190725_124601.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-img_20190725_124504.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-img_20190725_124447.jpg  

The Bicycles thread-img_20190725_124524.jpg  

Hunter3077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2019, 20:25   #4316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaheer5776 View Post
Dear Friends,

So my question to my fellow cyclists is:

Is it too early for me to think for an upgrade?

Which Hybrid I should be looking for in the of Rs 15k to 25K. I am not interested in having suspensions. So I can get good deal I suppose!
Your biggest issue with current bike is its frame. Hence you should definitely upgrade. Sell this bike on OLX or gift it to someone you know.

Try to extend your budget, and you will be able to buy bikes from Marin, Scott etc.
Buy a good bike now, so that you don't feel like upgrading soon.
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2019, 23:04   #4317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
Buy a good bike now, so that you don't feel like upgrading soon.
Mate, you have replied to a 3.5 year old post!

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 25th July 2019 at 23:06.
TorqueyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2019, 08:00   #4318
BHPian

Congratulations. 9Kg is really light, and the bike looks sharp. Can you briefly tell me about your cyclo-computer and front LED lights?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
purchased the Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105 (2019).
Old 26th July 2019, 11:49   #4319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter3077 View Post
After all the discussions, suggestions, recommendations and pondering over available options, went ahead and purchased the Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105 (2019).
That is a beautiful looking bike. Congratulations! Wishing you thousands of healthy miles and smiles!
graaja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2019, 12:17   #4320
BHPian

Anyone here use Convolution bikes. Looking for some user reviews
sanjbmw2001 is online now   Reply With Quote