Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar2007 View Post
11-12 km is a warm up, not a ride ;-)
Not a very encouraging line for starters like me
Old 14th July 2011, 19:52   #827
BANNED

^^Everyone starts out with small distances. I started with 5km, and now can reasonably comfortably do a 200km ride if I have some good company. 100km rides are a routine.
kumar2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 05:43   #828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^Everyone starts out with small distances. I started with 5km, and now can reasonably comfortably do a 200km ride if I have some good company. 100km rides are a routine.
Completely agree. Though in my case, for someone who works saturdays - to spend a Sunday doing a 200km ride = from you know who!!

Initially i used to feel like I'd die when accompanying the pedalyatris on their morning 20km odd ride. Now whenever I go out, 30-40 is par for the course (because I return home by 645am, else more is always better!!).

btw, you own a Sherpa? THE sherpa? pikchas!!!!!!

We need the ::needpics from bz!
Old 15th July 2011, 10:50   #829
Senior - BHPian

Guys, a quick query from side that I hope you can help me with.

My wife is looking to buy a bicycle for daily morning runs. She had an ankle injury (level 2 tear, no bone impact) about a year ago. She intends to begin cycling after her physio therapy sessions are completed. The cycling sessions/ route/ time will be as recommended by the physio.

My questions are:
Which bike would be suitable for her considering that she doesn't want to lean forward too much?
Any other precautions to be taken?

TIA
Old 15th July 2011, 11:07   #830
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
Not a very encouraging line for starters like me
On the contrary. I found the statement very motivating.

There is an old story about how to lift a horse. A horse is not only heavy, its also bigger in size than most men.
So if a man, starts lifting a foal from when it is born.
Every day for a couple of minutes.

As the foal grows up to be a horse, the man would have also grown stronger. Strong enough to lift a horse. Maybe or maybe not. But much stronger than when he started.

Quote:
+1
Old 15th July 2011, 11:47   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Guys, a quick query from side that I hope you can help me with.

My wife is looking to buy a bicycle for daily morning runs. She had an ankle injury (level 2 tear, no bone impact) about a year ago. She intends to begin cycling after her physio therapy sessions are completed. The cycling sessions/ route/ time will be as recommended by the physio.

My questions are:
Which bike would be suitable for her considering that she doesn't want to lean forward too much?

TIA
Go to a good store in Pune - lifecycles, maybe? Check the reviews on BZ.

The basic understanding I have is that the ankle is not involved in most cases unless your technique is seriously bad. So go ahead and choose the one she likes, or look at the WSD ones. No real issue I see. Unless she cann't balance and falls on the bad ankle. Which is very v v rare!!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 13:39   #832
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Completely agree. Though in my case, for someone who works saturdays - to spend a Sunday doing a 200km ride = from you know who!!

Initially i used to feel like I'd die when accompanying the pedalyatris on their morning 20km odd ride. Now whenever I go out, 30-40 is par for the course (because I return home by 645am, else more is always better!!).

btw, you own a Sherpa? THE sherpa? pikchas!!!!!!

We need the ::needpics from bz!
The Sherpa is not an 'expensive' bike, unlike some other touring bikes like the Co-motion or Bruce Gordon etc. but it's a GREAT bike. I just love riding it.

One day I'll buy a Co-motion with SS couplers. maybe the Americano.

http://co-motion.com/index.php/singles/americano

I had wanted a touring bike like Docs [deepakvrao on BZ] LHT, but he was the one who pushed me towards the Sherpa.
Old 15th July 2011, 15:01   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My questions are:
Which bike would be suitable for her considering that she doesn't want to lean forward too much? Any other precautions to be taken?
Leaning forward would depend on bike fit. Most likely, bikes with flat bar would be preferred than drop bar, so please look at MTB or hybrid.

Check these stores in this sequence from your house.

1. Zems cycles(Opp. Kinara hotel, Paud road): Hercules, Atlas, Hero brands. Look at this store for basic cycles(cycles have fixed frame size, no options within a specific model)

2. Surinder Cycles/Track & Trail (Karve road, next to Ganesh Cars, keep looking left after crossing IOC & BP outlets): Canondale, Schwinn, GT & some TI brands/models. Shop owner is very knowledgeable & may offer good advice/suggestions if he has time. Be open to his thoughts & spare time at this place as this guy loves to talk at length.

3. Lifecycle Mall(Tilak road, diagonally opposite to Pandit motors): Multiple brands spread over 3 levels. Too easy to get baffled & add to confusion. This store might have availability of WSD model in some brand. This place offers ambiance of a mall, but prices are not cheapest as expected in a mall.

If you can wait for 2 weeks, we can meet for some more discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
The basic understanding I have is that the ankle is not involved in most cases unless your technique is seriously bad. So go ahead and choose the one she likes, or look at the WSD ones.
+1 to what has been said above. As long as pedaling is not done with heels, it shouldn't be a concern. And I am sure physio wouldn't allow that anyway.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 15:01   #834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Sherpa is not an 'expensive' bike, unlike some other touring bikes like the Co-motion or Bruce Gordon etc. but it's a GREAT bike. I just love riding it.

One day I'll buy a Co-motion with SS couplers. maybe the Americano.

http://co-motion.com/index.php/singles/americano

I had wanted a touring bike like Docs [deepakvrao on BZ] LHT, but he was the one who pushed me towards the Sherpa.
how much did it cost? pikchas? pikchas?

I thought the surly was $1k and sherpa was £ 1k, and thus landed in India would be carbon bike/domestic discord territory
Old 15th July 2011, 15:17   #835
BANNED

LHT is about 65 excluding duty including shipping. Yes, the Sherpa is a bit more expensive.

Add touring paraphernalia, and you almost touch the 100K figure :-(

Pictures? Well, I actually don't possess a camera, and my phone is one of those cheap brick Nokias with no frills.

Domestic discord? What is that? My dog does not object to my bikes ;-) Don't tell me you suckers are married?

Edit: The Co-motion is 4000 USD ;-) and that's without shipping/duty
Edit 2: Co-motion will happen if I can wangle it here without any duties. Some trip, sometime.

Last edited by bblost : 15th July 2011 at 16:25. Reason: Any issue you may have w.r.t to forum rules may be taken up via the contact us form. Thanks.
Old 15th July 2011, 15:58   #836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which bike would be suitable for her
Look at the issue of tyre width also. Wider tyres give more comfortable rides over small potholes but they demand more effort from the rider. They are great for exercise and burning calories. However, since she has injured ankles it might not suit her. Narrower tyres will be easier on the legs. Ask her physio to give an opinion on this issue.
Pardon this unsolicited piece of advice, but I think swimming is also an excellent, if not better, exercise in such situations provided the facilities are there.

Last edited by Sudipto-S-Team : 15th July 2011 at 15:59.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 16:01   #837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LHT is about 65 excluding duty including shipping. Yes, the Sherpa is a bit more expensive.

Add touring paraphernalia, and you almost touch the 100K figure :-(
Yeah yeah. Its a true lakhtakia!! I'm sure the sherpa would cross the 125k mark!!

Quote:
Domestic discord? What is that? My dog does not object to my bikes ;-) Don't tell me you suckers are married?
Clearly some of us, i.e you are happy. And the rest of us, incl. me are married!!

Quote:
Edit: The Co-motion is 4000 USD ;-) and that's without shipping/duty
Edit 2: Co-motion will happen if I can wangle it here without any duties. Some trip, sometime.
Woah. that.is.expensive! but how about we get you to ride with Doc rao and he posts the pikchas wherever he can?

What's your DM id?

PS: Your comment above almost reminded me of Vandit!!

Last edited by bblost : 15th July 2011 at 16:27. Reason: Quoted post has been edited. Thanks.
Old 15th July 2011, 16:09   #838
BANNED

Quote:
My questions are:
Considering she has an injury and a bad one at that.

Forget a road cycle. Get an exercise cycle instead. You can change settings on it easily as required.

Riding a cycle out on a road has too many parameter attached.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 16:25   #839
BHPian

Guys, its my first post and its a Cannondale Quick 5. Just rode the bike back from showroom, didn't have a clue of how what gear to be in different situation, looks like there's a heck a lot to learn. While nearing my office, a biker slowed down and inquired about the bike, he wasn't aware that my knowledge about bicycles are pedestrian (just couple of weeks of research), but spoke to him as if I was an expert...

Though a silent follower, I have been immensely benefited by the discussions here and also at bikeforum. And frequent discussions which made the thread pop-up every time I logged helped to keep reminding about this (yes contemplating for some time) and kept the interest alive.

Specific thanks to bblost for making me aware that a brand by name Cannondale exist. Mjothi's recent weekend ride also inspired me to take up biking. I have taken up few things in the past but couldn't continue (other than photography), but I hope this will be an exception, as riding and photography should complement each other.

Now focus shifts to buying few essential accessories.
Old 15th July 2011, 16:30   #840
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Guys, its my first post and its a Cannondale Quick 5.
Great bike. I am loving mine

Quote:
Now focus shifts to buying few essential accessories.
Carrier helps a lot.
A stand comes in very handy.
A lock to keep her safe.

Since the tires are easy to remove. I played with mine. Ended up with a minor fitment issue. Caused the brakes to make contact. Watch some youtube videos on this to get it right.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks