Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2019, 18:31   #16
BHPian

Re: How many leaves / holidays do you take in a year?

Being part of Software Industry, I am just too ashamed to talk about leaves, so get really envious when I see those 2 weeks+ TLs on T-BHP where my TLs last for 2-3 days only. For a Software Engineer its either forced retirement or lay-off or sign-off (from earth) being the only ways to get more than a week's leave. Even smaller leaves are not free from interruption, wife still has a photo of me talking on phone during our honeymoon. The mobile phones and data network have ensured benefits for both the servant and the owner.
Old 4th December 2019, 18:55   #17
BHPian

When I had a full time job as a IT Practice Head, we used to get 1.5 days a month i.e. 18 days a year of leave apart from 10 statutory holidays. While it is impossible to take leave for long most leaves were taken as a day or half off to finish some personal work like bank or loan or insurance or health checkup or car in service. Even on those days we have to be attending and monitoring work so cant classify as day off. Of course, there are long weekends but seeing rush all around vacation spots I prefer staying at home, moreover holidays in India are more or less working for other countries.

Personally I always take a week off during monsoon to visit anyplace where it rains heavily, in last 5-6 years I have made it a ritual and look forward to it. This is my gift to myself on toiling the whole year off and this week of rejuvenation helps me on keeping nerves and looking forward to it every year.

Best thing is in monsoons particularly southern and western India is beautiful and comes alive, waterfalls, rain, wind, clouds, fresh smell of earth, wet roads, rough sea, green fields, dusky mountains all become so charming that cant be described in words.

Another important factor is its off season so you don't get maddening crowds and virtually have the complete tourist spot to yourself. Hotels give special attention and relaxed service, flights are cheap and the slow mood is addictive to me at-least.
I have been to Kerala, Goa, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal, Orissa during this season and my yearly time off. North India where I stay (Delhi NCR) and around is hot and humid with very scanty rain.

So the answer to the question is - one week a year for vacation, and if you add other leaves for work and social functions that would be another week or so.
In total 2 weeks a year.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th December 2019 at 18:41. Reason: Typos, format.
Old 4th December 2019, 19:54   #18
Team-BHP Support

I have around 18 days of annual leave, which is not much actually. But with a bit of planning and flexibility at work, it works quite alright. If its a short holiday, say a weekend + couple of days, I don't carry my work laptop. Anything more than that I do carry the laptop and try to connect on non-intrusive times. For example, if I am going to India (2 hrs 30 mins behind Singapore), I do log in for a couple of hours in the morning via laptop or work phone say 6am to 8am, which is like start of working day in Singapore.

I used to do a couple of trips back home every year, but now trying to do one break in India (around 2 weeks) and another one as a proper holiday long holiday.
Old 4th December 2019, 20:41   #19
BHPian

After my daughter started school, the vacations mostly follow the school holidays. I get a total of 30 paid leaves. Christmas & year end I take about 7 days, April beginning when the school closes we go for a short vacation of 4 or 5 days. June 1st or 2nd week for 6 to 7 days, I am in Kerala to enjoy the rains, October again a short vacation of 4 or 5 days typically with more family members.
Old 4th December 2019, 21:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

I get 20 days a year leave and while I was in Bangalore used most of them. Now being based out of Bombay without family, I am taking less but hope to take more as I cannot accumulate more than 30 leaves at the end of our financial year. They expire and aren't payable
Old 4th December 2019, 23:10   #21
Senior - BHPian

Minimum 2 weeks with 2 proper vacations of 1 week each! Like to do one international and one domestic (preferably drive down). 1 week in April/May when kid has holidays and the other during Xmas/new year when kid has holidays again!
Old 4th December 2019, 23:26   #22
anb
BHPian

Probably I will have the most leaves as I work as assistant professor in a government college. I have 15 casual leaves,18 earned leaves, 10 days vacation for Onam and Christmas and 2 months vacation during summer.

Last edited by anb : 4th December 2019 at 23:28.
Old 5th December 2019, 00:06   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree with GTO, as a businessman, you are never really off duty. Your mind is engaged in work in some way at all times, irrespective of the time on the clock or the day of the week. It really isn’t possible for someone like me to turn off my phone. So basically, the only real holidays I’ve had is when I’ve travelled to places where there is absolutely no mobile network. No voice, no data, nothing. Unfortunately, by the time you come to grips with this, it is time to head back home.
Old 5th December 2019, 00:17   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
Probably I will have the most leaves as I work as assistant professor in a government college. I have 15 casual leaves,18 earned leaves, 10 days vacation for Onam and Christmas and 2 months vacation during summer.
Wow!! I really like your job.
Are Saturdays working for you?
Old 5th December 2019, 00:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

I take 20-25 leaves every year, this is spread across the year.
Old 5th December 2019, 01:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Number of leaves I took till date ~ 5. I genarally do not take many leaves and it gets lapsed by end of the year. Available leaves are around 24-26 days including 6 days sick leave.
Old 5th December 2019, 09:05   #27
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Wow!! I really like your job.
Are Saturdays working for you?
Saturdays and Sundays are off. Only 5 working days a week.
Old 5th December 2019, 10:27   #28
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I work for an MNC and we are given 20 paid leaves plus 5 days of annual shutdown from 25th Dec till 31st Dec. Out of which, we can carry forward 10 and we can accumulate only 30 days as carry forwarded leaves. One good thing about our company’s leave policy is, we have unlimited sick leaves
Any company having such leave policy in India?
The company I work for gives unlimited sick leaves and 25 paid leaves a year out of which only 8 can be carried forward.
Old 5th December 2019, 10:45   #29
BHPian

Its mostly 12 days in a year, in which most of it falls during the end of the year - If I don't take it , then it would get elapsed. Forced holidays
Old 5th December 2019, 10:55   #30
BHPian

I get 20 paid leaves per year and 10 public holidays as per the company Calendar. But me being in Edtech industry, the office should run 24/7 and every month we work on 2 Saturdays and Sundays and take off on some other consecutive days. So, this gives us an option to combine week offs with casual leaves not only on weekends. Also, planned leaves can be arranged as week-offs easily, and this gives me buffer to plan longer vacations, without having to suffer loss of pay!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks