Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2020, 18:47   #586
BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Positive news on Coronavirus cure from my city Jaipur.

Quote:
Doctors in Rajasthan had, in consultation with the Indian Council for Medical Research (ICMR), for the first time in India, followed a unique line of treatment, combining Lopinavir/Ritonavir, drugs usually given as a second line of treatment for HIV, with drugs meant for curing Malaria and Swine Flu, to cure a patient, an Italian lady, of Coronavirus.

Two Italian patients, a couple admitted at the Sawai Man Singh (SMS) hospital in Jaipur was administered this line of treatment.

"Under the guidance of Dr Sudhir Bhandari, Principal of SMS hospital and Medical College, and in consultation with the ICMR, a combination of Malaria's and Tamiflu of Swine Flu, along with two drugs of HIV, were tried," Rohit Kumar Singh, Additional Chief Secretary, Rajasthan health ministry, said.
Sources:

https://citytoday.news/jaipur-sms-ho...e-flu-malaria/

https://www.indiatoday.in/amp/mail-t...362-2020-03-14
Old 14th March 2020, 19:33   #587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarManMotorcycl View Post
My mom just returned from Dubai on the 11th of march and her temperature was checked at the Pune Airport, they did not tell her to go the Naidu Hospital(which is the one handling Covid19 patients in Pune). She was told that she should stay self quarantined at home for at least 14 days
My deepest sympathises; unfortunately, I haven't an answer to your dilemma, but perhaps someone here will post.

I do have one question though, if you can take it, based on my interaction with someone that came back from Dubai to Pune a couple of days ago. He was cleared to enter based on travel history that had only Dubai on it for the last month, and he had no fever at the airport. Or any other symptom.

Why then was she told to self quarantine? And how can they make sure she does that is the obvious question, but I am not looking at you for that answer; just the reason why she was spoken to differently from the man I know.
Old 14th March 2020, 19:49   #588
Distinguished - BHPian

Number of confirmed coronavirus patients in Maharashtra rises to 26, taking the India figures to 97

Link
Old 14th March 2020, 20:15   #589
BHPian

On the lighter side, Havana version of Corona virus

Old 14th March 2020, 20:56   #590
BHPian

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

A very long article with statistical modelling.
But worth a read.
It tells us why we need to be be aggressive about prevention,tells us why Asian countries have fared better than European ones in limiting the virus.

P.S: Apologies if it has been posted already.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 14th March 2020 at 21:21.
Old 14th March 2020, 21:06   #591
BHPian

Quote:
My mom just returned from Dubai on the 11th of march and her temperature was checked at the Pune Airport, they did not tell her to go the Naidu Hospital(which is the one handling Covid19 patients in Pune). She was told that she should stay self quarantined at home for at least 14 days, she hasn't shown any symptoms since two days and i have been keeping a fair distance from her and doing everything possible to not have any chance for her to infect me. Our society has told her that maids will not be allowed since my mom has a history of travel, now considering I have been doing everything possible to stay hygienic and as away from my Mom as possible should i also self quarantine myself? The society is pressuring me to do so but I can't really afford to do that. I have my exams on the 20th and I am absolutely worried that i wouldn't be able to give my exams because of this, please suggest on how to go ahead.

P.S My mom nor me and my sister have shown any type of symptoms. My mom is 53, my sister is 28 and I am 22.

Please stay in a self quarantine mode ,all of you and follow the guidelines . I understand its tough but Its the best plan for you and your family and everyone else.
Old 14th March 2020, 21:11   #592
BHPian

A personal account about measures in China from someone who went from Bangalore to Beijing.

https://t.co/AdmU0JUWHl?amp=1

A small quote from the article.
Quote:
There was a cup full of toothpicks besides the buttons in the elevator. There was also a sponge stuck to the elevator wall where people could stick used toothpicks after they pressed the button.
Old 14th March 2020, 21:26   #593
Senior - BHPian

A controversial question perhaps, but one that deserves to be asked and aired.

Globally, it is now recognised that testing on a massive scale is an essential part of any successful campaign against the virus.

It is also well known that in India we are in a very sorry state on out testing capacity. The official testing strategy paper of the Government therefore uses circular logic to justify the low numbers of tests being run.

Now the question: I am hearing that many good private labs in India that we commonly use for our pathology tests are ready and able to run the tests, have applied for governmental clearance to do so, but the permissions are not coming.

Has anyone else heard this? Or is this fake news? Because if it is true, then there is something that is very very disturbing with our "government servants" who will end up with blood on their hands on much much larger scales than we are accustomed to seeing them have.

As I said upfront, perhaps this is just rumour, but it is important for it to then be dismissed as such.
Old 14th March 2020, 21:55   #594
BHPian

My question to Vivek95 And other informed members, sorry if this has been posted here:

The question is about community transmission of this virus.

I am told that india is testing for CV19 in a very small sample size. If you have a travel history with few countries and also the symptoms, then you will be tested. That means the number of cases being reported are by default not representative (in the sense that you report within what you test).

If the community transmission is taking place then there should be many people carrying the virus, but they will never know because testing isn’t available to all individuals showing flu like symptoms.

At some point will they start testing all people with cough and fever? Like you could go to a lab and get tested for H1N1.

Worst outcome of an undetected community transmission will be that you will never know and some people will keep infecting others.

My question is, am i the only one worried about it? Maybe i am not informed enough on this matter.
Old 14th March 2020, 22:11   #595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post
If you have a travel history with few countries and also the symptoms, then you will be tested. That means the number of cases being reported are by default not representative (in the sense that you report within what you test).

My question is, am i the only one worried about it? Maybe i am not informed enough on this matter.
The first bit is the circular logic I referred to in my post just preceding yours.

I for one am not just worried, but scared about what is being hidden by this logic.

And it causes another huge problem - when I next get what is actually a common cold or the flu which happens with some regularity to all of us given our air quality, what do I do? How can I rule out Covid at that time? Or do I go into self quarantine for 14 days then, although it was just a cold?

And the corollary - what if in public I now come across someone with visible symptoms of what is in reality just the common cold? What will be public at large do? Beat up that person for leaving his home?

Every scenario is nightmarish.
Old 14th March 2020, 22:30   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandadevieast View Post

The question is about community transmission of this virus.
At present, all the positive(index cases) cases are with a history of travel abroad. Community transmission will occur with their contacts and further subcontacts.(F2,F3 etc)
Right now, in India, what is being done is to identify all the people that the index case has had contact and subcontact with and then quarantine them for 14 days. If any of them show symptoms, then they are tested for COVID-19 & if positive sent to isolation. This way, everybody who has a remote chance of contact or subcontact is covered.That is what was meticulously done in China apart from the lockdown.
Every single contact and subcontact is not tested at present, probably because it would cost tremendously. However, such extensive testing has been done in South Korea.
Testing again has not been given to private labs probably because there are not enough kits to do such random testing and must be too expensive.
Also government has better control of the whole situation if testing is limited to Government labs. The number of labs would go up depending on the situation.
Old 14th March 2020, 23:06   #597
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
At present, all the positive(index cases) cases are with a history of travel abroad. Community transmission will occur with their contacts and further subcontacts.(F2,F3 etc)
Since you are a doctor... I think all BHPian doctors should mention if they are doctors (on this thread), to separate their opinion from others.
Old 14th March 2020, 23:43   #598
Senior - BHPian

My son is home for the weekend from NITT and was planning start back tomorrow night. Just now he has received a message that reads

"All students who are presently home should stay back for a week or until further advice. All classes and activities are suspended till 22nd March as of now. Those who are presently on the way back to campus should explore ways to go back home. Those who do reach campus will be housed in two notified blocks till they go back. Students who are presently in campus, in their respective hostels, can leave for home if they wish. If they wish to stay back, they should remain inside the campus and not go out anywhere.

DASA students who have gone home abroad (mainly to the gulf countries) should remain there till further advice. Lessons and notes will be shared to them through internet. Their attendance for the duration will be regularized.

All students who are home should avoid unnecessary travel."

Last edited by Gansan : 14th March 2020 at 23:46.
Old 14th March 2020, 23:49   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My son is home for the weekend from NITT and was planning start back tomorrow night. Just now he has received a message that reads

"All students who are presently home should stay back for a week or until further advice. All classes and activities are suspended till 22nd March as of now. Those who are presently on the way back to campus should explore ways to go back home. Those who do reach campus will be housed in two notified blocks till they go back. Students who are presently in campus, in their respective hostels, can leave for home if they wish. If they wish to stay back, they should remain inside the campus and not go out anywhere.

DASA students who have gone home abroad (mainly to the gulf countries) should remain there till further advice. Lessons and notes will be shared to them through internet. Their attendance for the duration will be regularized.

All students who are in campus or home should avoid unnecessary travel."
Many of the universities up here in NCR are also following the same protocol though the duration may be slightly different. I personally believe that this is the best mitigation plan for the educational institutions.
Old 15th March 2020, 00:00   #600
BHPian

Quote:
My mom just returned from Dubai on the 11th of march and her temperature was checked at the Pune Airport, they did not tell her to go the Naidu Hospital(which is the one handling Covid19 patients in Pune). She was told that she should stay self quarantined at home for at least 14 days, she hasn't shown any symptoms since two days and i have been keeping a fair distance from her and doing everything possible to not have any chance for her to infect me. Our society has told her that maids will not be allowed since my mom has a history of travel, now considering I have been doing everything possible to stay hygienic and as away from my Mom as possible should i also self quarantine myself? The society is pressuring me to do so but I can't really afford to do that. I have my exams on the 20th and I am absolutely worried that i wouldn't be able to give my exams because of this, please suggest on how to go ahead.

P.S My mom nor me and my sister have shown any type of symptoms. My mom is 53, my sister is 28 and I am 22.
This is a classic community vs. myself dilemma.
I am not a medical expert but if I were in your shoes, I would analyze how important the exams are. Is it possible that you might be allowed to take them later? What would be the loss and impact on your life if you skipped them? They might be canceled or postponed in any case.
If they are extremely important then I would prepare and monitor myself till the 20th. That would be around 9 days since your mother arrived. Most people show symptoms by 4 to 6 days and if I still didn’t have any symptoms, I would proceed to the exams in a safe manner. I would wear a mask, preferably a N95 type and I would take a sanitizer and wipe any surfaces I touched clean afterwards if allowed. I know I would get a lot of flak for this view but at some point we have to balance the risk to society with reasonable precautions. Now many European countries are moving towards this approach where they won’t even test anyone who is not hospitalized. As cases surge, we will end up not being able to follow proper quarantine procedures as there will be too many people to quarantine until countries impose a complete lockdown. So, in summary, if you are declared positive or have had direct close contact with a positive person, I would definitely recommend complete isolation for 14 days. In this case your mother has not been diagnosed positive. There must have been hundreds of people on her flight as well as crew and other people she came in contact with at the airports. I doubt thay have all quarantined themselves. Therefore I can recommend this cautionary approach. I would be happy to be corrected by a professional.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks