Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2020, 17:24   #541
BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Karnataka is shutting down malls, pubs, theaters, schools and colleges from March 14th to March 21st. I am 50 and I have never seen a situation like this.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le31059494.ece
Small correction. This is applicable only to Bengaluru, not the entire state of Karnataka. As of now.
Old 13th March 2020, 17:54   #542
BHPian

AI cancels all flights to Germany, Italy and 3 other countries

Now with this news, I am Impacted a lot, here is how

I have ended my employment in Germany effective from end of March.
I will have no place to stay from 27th of March
Fortunately Health Insurance is valid for one more month.

The question is, how long this situation can remain? I can manage place for stay, any way health insurance is there for one month till April end. But will pandemic and panic reaction end in April? If it extends beyond April ? Lot on unanswered questions. Lets see.
Old 13th March 2020, 17:55   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Small correction. This is applicable only to Bengaluru, not the entire state of Karnataka. As of now.
I am watching Kannada news channels and the reports mention that this is applicable to whole of Karnataka.
Old 13th March 2020, 18:16   #544
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
It is entire Karnataka: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/74611413.cms
Old 13th March 2020, 19:48   #545
BHPian

2nd (overall 4th in Mumbai) case of covid is confirm near Odeon mall, Ghatkopar (East). -18 years old student

This news is confirmed.The person had travelled to Somaiya collage for exams last week.
He was admitted in Hinduja but after confirmation he is being shifted to kasturba hospital
Old 13th March 2020, 20:30   #546
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
Now that China's war on the virus seems to be winning, they're onto misinformation warfare. With their longstanding questionable animal food markets which are like an ongoing petridish for interspecie disease communication, the spotlight remains firmly on China.

I fully expect the burglar to proclaim his innocence when caught in the act.
Old 13th March 2020, 22:39   #547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
The restrictions are getting crazy! I just heard that my cousin's wedding which was scheduled to happen in a week has been postponed due to his fiancee (who is a foreign citizen) couldn't get her visa approved! Apparently the Indian embassy in US is not very helpful about this inspite of producing sufficient evidence that it is their wedding!
Look at it this way. Visitors from affected areas are temporarily unwelcome. If they are going to attend functions where dozens of people will be present they should be even more unwelcome. If there are two people at a wedding who are going to interact with almost everyone there, it is the bride and the groom.

It's unfortunate that the wedding must be postponed, but in the circumstances, not unreasonable. I'm sure they will not be the only couple affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I heard some doctors also say it gets rapidly deactivated from 27c on wards outside the body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Many inaccuracies. Virus by default stays dead outside a body. There is no evidence to suggest that 27 deg or higher will kill the virus. ...
This was my source: New Scientist (Not Scientific American, as I might have said. My mistake.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
We all know that the best way to stop coronavirus from spreading is by washing hands. But how does it exactly work? A very interesting article is available at https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-disinfectants
I liked that one too. Everybody thinks the "chemical" alcohol stuff is bound to be more effective, but soap is more than good enough and may even be better.
Old 13th March 2020, 23:10   #548
BHPian

Got message from my son's school that it is shut down from Monday. This is CP Goenka school in Mumbai.
Old 13th March 2020, 23:22   #549
BHPian

Feel sad for the second victim in the country. It's getting real and scary by the minute. Most of us are not equipped to deal with this morbidity. It's not just the lockdown, but the emotional and mental agony that this situation is bringing. I cant even imagin if the infection enters into Dharavi. Guys we need to be strong together in the coming days and please do share your precautionary measure and innovation that you are employing to stay safe. Can someone project the trend and see if the curve is spiking or falling.

Last edited by doxinboy : 13th March 2020 at 23:23. Reason: Grammer
Old 13th March 2020, 23:33   #550
BHPian

In a lighter vein (in this gloomy times) :

The Coronavirus Thread-corona-bane.jpeg
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 00:04   #551
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

I liked that one too. Everybody thinks the "chemical" alcohol stuff is bound to be more effective, but soap is more than good enough and may even be better.
Overuse is definitely a problem, but those little bottles of alcohol based disinfectants are life-savers when you don't have access to soap & clean water when out and about.

Nothing right about the current hysteria though, people buying up every last drop of the stuff they can find, possibly depriving people who most need it. Same for masks.

A 200 ml pump bottle lasts me & the better a good few months, and we just refill our smaller carry bottles from it too. No intention of going hunting for stock anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post

....Now with this news, I am Impacted a lot, here is how...
Are there other carriers still operating flights to India that you could use?

Have you reported the situation to the nearest Indian Embassy/Consulate? If not, please do so. There may be others in a similar situation, so it's not unreasonable to think the govt. might step in to help in some capacity.

Don't wait until the last moment.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th March 2020 at 00:17.
Old 14th March 2020, 00:30   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
AI cancels all flights to Germany, Italy and 3 other countries

Now with this news, I am Impacted a lot, here is how

The question is, how long this situation can remain? I can manage place for stay, any way health insurance is there for one month till April end. But will pandemic and panic reaction end in April? If it extends beyond April ? Lot on unanswered questions. Lets see.
My suggestion is you leave back to India at the earliest . Check with your employer if you can leave as soon as possible.

However if you are coming back now , you will be quarantined on arrival for minimum two weeks in India as per the current advisory in force because you will be coming from Germany

As of now Lufthansa, Emirates, Qatar Airways, Etihad etc are all operating from Germany to India non stop or Via Dubai, Doha, Abudhabi etc for the middle east carriers. But this situation can change rapidly each passing day.

Reasons are both the ever increasing travel advisories and also economic. The traffic is going down drastically because of all these restrictions so airlines have little choice than to curtail or cancel flights at short notice.

Make sure you update a contact number which can be reached easily when you book your flight and triple check the documentation required by the airline before you are allowed to board the flight.

Around 40 Indians got stranded at Rome unable to board an Emirates flight on 10 March because India suddenly required a clearance certificate for COVID for passengers originating in Italy. As per media reports passengers say airline never informed them of the requirement, while government sources insist they informed all the airlines by 6th March.

Keep monitoring this link from IATA for country specific restrictions due the virus outbreak. This gets updated very quickly.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
Old 14th March 2020, 01:34   #553
BHPian

What Indian government has been doing:
The Coronavirus Thread-img_20200314_012314.jpg

Meanwhile POTUS declares national emergency.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200314013952.jpg  

Last edited by wrongturn : 14th March 2020 at 01:42.
Old 14th March 2020, 07:16   #554
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Can you believe this dude?

Quote:
According to some eyewitnesses, the patient allegedly had a history of recent foreign travel to one of the Covid-19 hit countries but did not reveal it to the hospital authorities.

They claimed that scores of hospital employees - both medical and non-medical -- could be at risk since that patient might have come in contact with many at the prestigious hospital.

Around 89 persons including medical, para-medical, non-medical staffers have reportedly come in contact with the patient in the recent past.
Source
Old 14th March 2020, 07:24   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Can you believe this dude?
I feel, perceived 'social stigma' makes them do all these. They should know, NOT revealing the fact will cost THEM MORE than hiding the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks