Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2020, 23:07   #406
Senior - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Quick question for doctors: What are superfoods that we need to eat that will help boost our immunity or help our bodies fight incase corona hits? Asking from perspective of fighting it instead of worrying or panicking
The general advice given to folks in the colder climates is to ensure their Vitamin D3 levels are adequate, to boost their immunity, especially against flu during winter. If you have less than 30 minutes of skin exposure to sunlight between 11AM to 2PM daily, get your Vitamin D3 hormone levels checked and consult an Orthopedician for remedy.

Last edited by msdivy : 10th March 2020 at 23:12.
Old 10th March 2020, 23:29   #407
Team-BHP Support

Documentary on Coronavirus by 60 Mins Australia:

Old 10th March 2020, 23:46   #408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Does anyone have any idea about the current wait times in Bengaluru? I have non refundable tickets to Bengaluru, scheduled for mid April. If they continue to have such delays in the airport after flying for 24+ hours, I will gladly pass on such torture. I have no interest in going through such waits, also risk being quarentined for the duration of my vacation
I came from Singapore to Bengaluru last Friday.

Adding up the time to fill the forms, it was not more than 15 mins. Then some time at the immigration as well. Overall not too bad. But this would also be dependent on the number of flights landing at the time.

There were a few posts asking if thermal scans are being done. If by Thermal scanning you mean the types being done at Singapore for eg., then no. It's not being done.

What is being done is, a person with hand held temperature sensor is scanning every passenger disembarking from the air craft manually - so it's not that seamless as compared to the scanners atleast in Bengaluru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJay View Post

Not at all defending govt/authorities but they are facing different/unique kind of difficulties at every stage. I have no information about airports but at some places, some “high class people” are not ready to trust and follow instructions of a doctor “unknown” to them, some would consult their “family doctor” only as other doctors are not qualified enough. Kudos to all the Doctors and medical staff, who remain neutral to such people and doing their duties very diligently and professionally. They are humans as well, with families. I repeat, I am not defending or covering anything, just trying to divulge other side.
I agree. Something very similar to this I saw in Bengaluru when a couple of passengers were questioning the bureaucracy and venting out their anger at the poor soul who was distributing the forms to fill.

I can understand the frustration. But the guy handing out the forms to you is only doing the job entrusted to him/her. Your questioning them will not solve anything other than create commotion and make the situation worse than it is.

Last edited by vibbs : 10th March 2020 at 23:50.
Old 10th March 2020, 23:52   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
They were advised last month itself to not do breathalyzer checks due to first few cases reported from Kerala.

Coronavirus in Bangalore: Police urged to suspend use of breathalysers in Bengaluru | Bengaluru News - Times of India https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/73950875.cms

I see police still using these in Bangalore.
Old 11th March 2020, 07:13   #410
Senior - BHPian

A conference about Coronavirus has been cancelled due to .. Coronavirus, what else.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...of-coronavirus
Old 11th March 2020, 07:22   #411
Team-BHP Support

***Note from Support***

It’s best not to create panic, and it also important not to trivialize the situation. Some of us may feel that we know better than qualified medical professionals, but please refrain from posting “random thoughts" or "conspiracy theories”.

Please only post useful or relevant information, all other posts will be deleted!
Old 11th March 2020, 08:02   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

New York Auto Show postponed due to coronavirus fears.

Quote:
After the Geneva Motor Show was canceled most of the automakers that had planned to unveil their new cars there did so anyway, albeit with small events broadcast over the internet.
Given that the New York show is postponed and not canceled, it is unclear what automakers will do regarding those planned events.

Link
Old 11th March 2020, 09:11   #413
BHPian

There seems to be some light at the end of this tunnel. There are encouraging signs that an antiviral drug "remdesivir" which was developed for ebola but was not found to be effective in the third phase trials, can work as an effective treatment for COVID-19. Since the drug has already gone through the first two phases of trials, it is being taken directly to the third phase trial directly (which i believe is the final phase before going to FDA for approval) thereby saving a lot of time.
One patient in Washington State who was critically ill with COVID-19 was given this treatment on a "compassionate basis" (i.e. before trials are completed) and had a drastic improvement in his condition by the next day and he eventually recovered completely.
Currently two stage 3 trials are being conducted one in the US and one in China and results are expected in April. If this does work out it could hold the death rate down until a vaccine is available.
Meanwhile, Gilead, the company that owns the drug has started bulk production to meet the surge in demand in the case that everything goes well. Keeping fingers crossed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...st-coronavirus
Old 11th March 2020, 09:53   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Great news to start the day CCrider! Appreciate you posting this information here!
Old 11th March 2020, 10:17   #415
Team-BHP Support

BTV news channel is reporting the Karnataka CM has banned all types of meat in Bangalore. There is no proof that meat eating leads to Caronavirus, is there?

This is crazy, governments taking decisions based on whatsapp rumours.

See how such rumours have crushed the Chicken industry.

The Coronavirus Thread-chicken.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 11th March 2020 at 10:33.
Old 11th March 2020, 10:25   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
BTV news channel is reporting the Karnataka CM has banned all types of meat in Karnataka. There is no proof that meat eating leads to Caronavirus, is there?

This is crazy, governments taking decisions based on whatsapp rumours.

See how such rumours have crushed the Chicken industry.

Attachment 1978896
I saw in another news channel that it's because of bird flu, not corona. The first occurence of this was reported in chamarajanagar. Few kokkare(crane?) were also found dead and it has been sent to lab for investigation
Old 11th March 2020, 10:27   #417
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I saw in another news channel that it's because of bird flu, not corona. The first occurence of this was reported in chamarajanagar. Few kokkare(crane?) were also found dead and it has been sent to lab for investigation
He is banning all kinds of meat, even mutton. How are they related to bird flu? If you see the news item I had attached, it doesn't mention bird flu, but rumours about caronavirus.

Last edited by Samurai : 11th March 2020 at 10:31.
Old 11th March 2020, 10:37   #418
BHPian

Quote:
...There is no proof that meat eating leads to Caronavirus, is there?..
Well the FSSAI chief G S G Ayyangar said Coronavirus does not spread through chicken, mutton, seafood. But then he went to harp on temperature effects including hoping on temperatures rising to 35-36 degrees. So I'll take whatever he says with a pinch of salt. Read here.
Many other news outlets say it doesn't spread through chicken, meat or poultry.
1. Gulf News
2. Money control
3. CNN traveller

Couldn't find any link for a reputed medical university. If anyone has any info, please do share.
Old 11th March 2020, 10:38   #419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quick question for doctors: What are superfoods that we need to eat that will help boost our immunity or help our bodies fight incase corona hits? Asking from perspective of fighting it instead of worrying or panicking
At the risk of being called "unscientific", here is a list of superfoods that can help build body's immunity against viruses in general.

1. Indian gooseberry (Amla) - in raw/powdered form.
2. Organic Turmeric(active compound Curcumin) in raw/powdered form, preferably with pinch of black pepper to increase absorption.
3. Giloy (tinospora cordifolia) extract
4. Leaves of Tulsi (Holy basil) plant

Some of the articles on these compounds for fighting various diseases as documented are below (Again i re-iterate, this is not related to Corona Virus specifi`cally as there are no studies done on efficiacy of these compounds on Crona Virus):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3644751/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2792597/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6509173/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4022204/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4296439/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5376420/
Old 11th March 2020, 10:43   #420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
I see police still using these in Bangalore.
I also read a post by a Twitter user last Sunday where he tagged BTP and asked how checks were still conducted at Hebbal.

In the end, the directions were given long back but if certain cops attached to few stations want to conduct these checks, there is nothing I or you can do. After all, these are the same cops who despite of an order from higher-ups still continue to flag down motorists for no reason in the name of checking documents.

The need of the hour is exercising caution and following the prescribed best practices and also helping to inculcate this to whoever we regularly interact with. This is the only way we can spread awareness and do our best to ensure that further spread of this virus is controlled.

Quote:
He is banning all kinds of meat, even mutton. How are they related to bird flu? If you see the news item I had attached, it doesn't mention bird flu, but rumours about caronavirus.
It is certainly due to bird flu scare in Calicut that KA Govt. is taking precautions but as you mention, there is no link to ban other meat:

Bird Flu Outbreak Reported in 2 Poultry Farms in Kerala; Culling of Ducks, Hens Ordered

EDIT: Further, there is another news report where KA Govt. had banned all poultry products from Kerala due to bird flu.

Avian flu: poultry products from Kerala, Karnataka banned in the Nilgiris

Quote:
A temporary ban on poultry products is being enforced due to reports on bird flu in Kerala,” the district administration stated in a press release, adding that vehicles carrying poultry products from both Kerala and Karnataka would not be allowed into the Nilgiris

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th March 2020 at 10:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks