Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2020, 11:49   #361
Senior - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Saw the photo of the empty Chinese hospital where all the patients recovered. Sigh, such discipline would be welcome elsewhere in the world. HIV drugs are being used to treat the patients in some cases.

US doesnt even have a single unified number on its number of infected. They seem to be still gathering themselves ! It feels bad about how people say that the fatality rate is higher only in aged peope :(

All the hand washing, sanitizing might be lowering the immunity of people generally for other viruses ? I think vaccines should become common for all virus strains even in India to be taken annually for some sections of people. Its a good way of developing immunity.
Old 10th March 2020, 11:52   #362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
To put things in perspective :

In India, 14,000 people died of flu this past year.
Road accidents resulted in 150,000 fatalities in 2018.
Smoking causes over 6 million deaths globally every year.

14,000 out of how many infected? Do road accident and smoking spread like virus from one person to another?

Please stop bringing up random statistics to make some point. Numbers on their own without any context are meaningless.

Whether the current level of panic is warranted or not, only time will tell.
Old 10th March 2020, 11:53   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Pardon me for my ignorance but is the vaccine is place for Coronavirus? I heard Kerala CM saying that the state had treated some 3 patients having coronavirus a while back means there should be an antidote, right?
Most viral illnesses are self limiting and thus treated with symptomatic support, hydration and antipyretics being the main focus. Tackling secondary bacterial infection is another. Forget Coronavirus, the routinely encountered Dengue fever ( caused by 4 different Dengue viruses) does not still have a vaccine or a specific antiviral drug yet. Dengue vaccine ( Dengvaxia ) tried in some country is not FDA approved yet as it had sort of backfired. Coronavirus vaccine is a big hoax. The three Kerala cases were well managed by symptomatic support and containing the spread by timely isolation and tracking the contacts.

Regards
Dr. Vivek

EDIT - About time people, especially highly educated elite Team BHPians come out of their ignorance. There is a thin line of difference between being ignorant and being alert and being panicky. Don't compare the simple statistics of hypertension, malaria, diabetes with that of Coronavirus. That is a blunder in an epidemiological study too. nCoronavirus-19 is highly infective, so the high level of attention is definitely warranted. Other diseases are not infective and as rapidly spreading as COVID-19. Just that, there is no need to panic. Be cautious but don't panic.

Last edited by vivek95 : 10th March 2020 at 11:59.
vivek95 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 12:25   #364
BHPian

Most viral infections only need supportive treatment. Likewise, Covid19 needs supportive treatment only. But Antivirals are used when things go out of hand. As of now Lopinarvir/Ritonavir is the 1st line drug as per DMO guidelines, to be used after permission from DMO. Isolation and discharge should be as per govt clearance and following govt protocols is necessary.

Last edited by vb-saan : 10th March 2020 at 13:29. Reason: Quoted post removed.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 12:27   #365
BHPian

I pray and hope that everyone will get well soon.
In Kerala, two or three small babies are infected.
Hope everything will be fine and no more panic.
Old 10th March 2020, 12:54   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
Nursery and Primary schools in Karnataka closed indefinitely, until further orders. However, my kids' school sent a message saying the school will be closed for 2 days, and further updates will be given later.

Coronavirus: Indefinite holiday declared for Bengaluru schools from classes I to V
https://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...ses-i-v-119852
My kids school is open with full strength of students (class 3). I also don't believe that there is any reason to panic. It is a common flu, just that our body takes a while to learn to fight a new strain. In the worst case, we will all get infected and will develop immunity.

A few vulnerable folks, such as old aged and those with pre-existing conditions or immunologically compromised ones, should be careful to keep themselves away from hazardous places such as the crowded and closed areas. In bright light and open spaces should be ok.

See the vulnerable preexisting conditions: https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

Live updates on the COVID 19 https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
'I'm Not Sick': Mangaluru Man Who Came from Dubai With COVID-19 Symptoms Fights Staff, Flees Hospital

https://www.news18.com/news/india/im...l-2531321.html

These kind of stupid antics are definitely a cause of worry. Why can't people cooperate when needed?
I disagree. Unless I'm convinced that the virus has any more fatality than any other coronavirus, I would do the same. We, Indians, are never afraid of common cold and flu, even when we are ill, leave alone being not-ill.

Last edited by opendro : 10th March 2020 at 12:59.
Old 10th March 2020, 12:59   #367
Senior - BHPian

Kerala Govt closes schools and exams from 1st std - 7th std. Guess they don't want to take any chances.

Last edited by deathwalkr : 10th March 2020 at 13:00.
Old 10th March 2020, 13:05   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvenk View Post
Washing your hands with soap for 20 seconds while scrubbing properly is said to be more effective than hand sanitizers. Aim to do this every hour and a half or so and especially when you come back home and before you eat. ...

Also, there is an incubation period for the virus wherein an infected person may not show symptoms for a couple of weeks. In short, the time to take precautions is now.
Hand washing and sanitizers complement each other. Clean water itself is a problem in many places. Soap will dry your skin and cause irritation, this is why hand sanitizers exist, and they were here even before Covid19.
Currently hand sanitizers are "luxury" items - they are priced exorbitantly and meant only for the affluent. This needs to be changed. Our attitude of "them vs us" is not going to help - the virus does not care (thankfully).
Provide free hand sanitizers or be prepared to die - I'm probably stating it a bit too dramatically, but that will be the result of letting humans go around spreading the virus. Though on the other hand, it is bound to spread anyway, so why do anything at all!
Old 10th March 2020, 13:18   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
It is a common flu, just that our body takes a while to learn to fight a new strain. In the worst case, we will all get infected and will develop immunity.
It is not common flu.
Will we all develop immunity? Probably.. probably not. There is no evidence to say anything.

Quote:
I disagree. Unless I'm convinced that the virus has any more fatality than any other coronavirus, I would do the same. We, Indians, are never afraid of common cold and flu, even when we are ill, leave alone being not-ill.
The current fatality percentage of Covid-19 is ~6% as given by WHO or CDC or reported here. What other proof do you need for being convinced? Or are you privy to some data that is not available in public domain?
There is no justification for anyone leaving the quarantine because one is not convinced. Quarantine is not just for the affected person's safety but for others too. Fleeing quarantine without approvals should be a criminal offense.
Old 10th March 2020, 13:21   #370
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod. Team: Please do not post misinformation or unverified social media forwards. Some of the spam messages above and related responses are deleted. Please post only useful information or queries. Thank you!
Old 10th March 2020, 13:58   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Fleeing quarantine without approvals should be a criminal offense.
Agree with the remaining parts of your post, but not this part. Criminalizing will result in fear. Some people might not seek medical help due to this. What is needed is spreading more awareness, and removing a lot of the stigma that is present in the society. Social distancing should be voluntarily done by people, instead of the China model where we saw people being forcefully confined in their homes.

The government should prepare isolation wards with decent standards, and publicize the facilities available, so that people will not have any fears in reporting their illness, and being quarantined thereafter.
Old 10th March 2020, 14:01   #372
BHPian

Quote:

I am seriously appalled at reading such statements on Team-BHP by educated folk like you. Keep aside the fatality, it's definitely low with the COVID-19, but you don't seem be to be bothered with its "infectivity". That is high.

I don't intend to attack you personally, but I can't believe that you just said, you would similarly flee the hospital if contracted with a suspected viral illness that has affected more than 1 lac people globally within a span of 2.5 months !!

People like you become a major reason for additional burden on healthcare during these times when instead of isolating yourself being a socially responsible citizen, would go and infect 10s and 100s of other people. Hospitals and labs, doctors and staff would be overburdened and overstressed just because of your sheer ignorance.

- Dr. Vivek
vivek95 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 14:15   #373
Senior - BHPian

I saw Dr. Naresh Trehan, founder of Medanta commenting yesterday on a news channel on the sheer ignorance of people who came from other countries, gave false declarations at the airport, developed symptoms but still met people and didn't report to medical supervision until the symptoms were serious enough. Though it is also the fault of agencies not to track these people on time and contaminating others with the virus.

India faced Corona due to the ignorance of people. Anyone coming from outside India should be investigated thoroughly by the agencies.
Old 10th March 2020, 14:23   #374
BHPian

I heard screening at Indian Airport is total mess. I am specially worried about my journey to India on 27th March. I see panic is more in India than Germany.

Few colleague recently traveled to India, they said that screening means just filling up the form. I am unable to understand why the form and declaration drama, instead of actual screening for body temperatures. Are we fixing the problem or are we fixing the responsibility? I doubt, authorities are reading and analyzing forms filled. I guess the only purpose of declaration is to fix blaim later in case of symptoms developed afterwards.
Old 10th March 2020, 14:25   #375
BHPian

Pardon me but discussions in this thread is not helping anyone.

As a son of civil servant, I can firmly say that authorities/govts are well aware of situations and they are doing their best to contain the COVID-19 BUT it is we the people who are restricting them by not co-operating and not following their instructions.

My dad though not in DoHealth, like so many others are working day n night just to provide best possible infrastructure to medical personnels and doctors who are working even harder.

I had brief talk with him today morning and he said that social media is the biggest sin, it is larger threat than the corona itself to the level that people in quarantine wards are telling doctors that what they should do. He also said that medical staff has been constantly complaining that people are not co-operating. They have to deal with two types of people, 1) Bindass type who think that corona could never touch them and this medical staff and security are just "harassing" them and 2) Over protective/panic people.

Don't use this thread to blame authorities if you are not aware of ground level situation and just heard something from someone. Just follow instructions and advisories and don't make "suggestions" if you are not doctor.

I seriously request all bhpians not to post your opinions or speculations and also not how it will effect our economy and our "insufficient", "inefficient" infrastructure and all, yes it might be true but hold them for another day and another thread, and please don't compare this with other diseases and ways of deaths.

I also request all the bhpians and readers to co-operate with local authorities and follow their instructions and guidelines diligently even if it doesn't match with your beliefs for the sake of people you love and your surroundings.

Please limit this thread to official information and genuine queries only, request to fellow doctor bhpians and mods to manage this thread better.

There is absolutely no need to panic, just be aware and remain conscious about hygiene.

Stay healthy.
JJay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks