Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2020, 23:43   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

I think it is reasonable that, as a community, we can share concerns as well as news with each other. Misinformation of the Whatsapp kind is a concern: but how, sometimes, can we find out what is fake and what is true.

Yesterday I was googling to see if the Chennai summer would save us. It seems that, yes, the virus will survive on cold surfaces longer than hot ones, but as to whether or not the climate can save us, the answer seems to be probably not. So it wasn't exactly fake news, but it wasn't really true either.
Old 5th March 2020, 01:10   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
2. Does having animal meat (Chicken/Fish/Mutton etc.) contribute to spread of Corona virus ?
Absolutely not. There is absolutely no link between chicken and corona virus. It reminds of the time when people thought chikungunya is caused by chicken.
Old 5th March 2020, 01:31   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Is that boiling water or boiled/cooled water?
Nope. Cool water cannot kill virus. Only boiling water can. Another 100% cure is drinking bleach. Death cures all diseases
Seriously, stop listening to all this, and follow the simple rules. Do not touch your face and eyes. Always wash hands for 20 seconds.

Old 5th March 2020, 01:35   #244
BHPian

Quote:
One may choose to believe quacks and frauds at their own peril. In this era of science and technology, you should put your faith in established modern medical systems and not swamis.
Hot water, steam are medically prescribed for treatment of cough and cold. As there is no medicine for virus lead infection in allopathy.
Auyrveda do prescribe medicine which create heat in body to enhance immunity against viruses. I know you are well aware that fever( temperature) is not a disease in itself, just that body is heating up in defence against infections.
I trust you are smart, just avoid belittling lesser mortals. Cheers.
Old 5th March 2020, 01:47   #245
Team-BHP Support

Without personally attacking your belief and "facts", let me refute some things. Feel free to provide evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
See, that's what I am talking about, I'm going to take all the bashing now cause I tried to defend what I believe, with facts and valid points and by not offending anyone or any beliefs in any way.
Belief is not a cure. A certain guy here said you should pray AIDS away because condoms were against his religion. It does not work like that.

Quote:
I expressly mentioned the phrase 'Prevention is Cure' in my argument, I am not sure how else would you like me to elaborate the term 'Cure' in the given context.

'What ever the controsionist moment' I mentioned are the new ways even the world leaders are using to greet one another instead of handshakes, please update yourself on elbow bumps and footshakes in relation to coronavirus. I believe Namaste is a much better gesture of greeting than those 'whatever you said they were'.
Nobody refuted that. It is well known that not touching others will be helpful. Not a single comment said that this point is wrong. Staying away from people always prevents air borne diseases. This is why quarantines are instituted.

By the way it was the Japanese who quarantined healthy people with sick people on a Cruise ship and created a full blown mini pandemic colony with a high death rate

Quote:
Similarly India has ayurveda which still is far more advanced and logical in comparison to the traditional medicinal ways of various societies and cultures around the world.
I'm associated with Tibetan people in India, and if you have heard they have cured some cancer patients and have elongated the life span of some. Look for Men-Tsee-Khang, they were confident that their medicine can provide relief if not cure to the patients of coronavirus. I am not associated any how to any expert in the field of ayurveda so I would not comment on that, but as I said earlier, I believe there is a cure for this virus in ayurveda too.
Yes some things work in Ayurveda. It has been proven. But there has been no evidence for Coronavirus cure in any system. You have heard.. Whatsapp forwards... etc., etc., are not valid sources. There is a preacher on TV here who sells 125$ silver solution to cure coronavirus. There is a blonde sitting next to him saying it cured her flu in 12 hours or 24 hours something. She is very passionate, and has heard from her aunts grandsons werewolf brother. She workes with Maki Maki people of the high mountain world where monks can remove mosquitoes from an entire city by farting in their direction.

Quote:
After all this is the same family of virus, COVID that causes common cold or flu but it's a different strain COVID-19 and it's mutating rapidly, scientist have recently found a second strain of COVID-19

Since modern medicine never had any cure for the COVID virus that causes common cold or flu to begin with, there won't be no cure for COVID-19 or Coronavirus as well. If there was a cure for common cold or flu in any traditional medicine, anywhere in the world, that would cure COVID-19 or coronavirus too probably.
Many flu's have vaccines, and they did not come from Ayurveda. Symptomatic relief and an actual antiviral agent to kill the pathogen are very simple things. When you have a bad cold with a blocked nose , hot Mongolian meat soup/stew with red chillis will make your nose run. Similar to taking steam. But they are not going to kill the common cold virus

Quote:
But, that's not where is stops, coronavirus is deadly also because of the rate at which it spreads, even the cured can get reinfected again in no time. Only a vaccine would be able to put a stop on it.

I am in no way against the modern medicines, please stop trying to project me like one. I wrote the very first response in defence of Ayurveda and Yoga. Why the hate?
No your post was not "Live a healthy lifestyle, exercise" but you actually claimed there is cure in Ayurveda and monks cure cancer without providing a shred of evidence.

If you wanted to talk about healthy lifestyle and stuff, fine. But this is coronavirus thread. Do you know, the deadliest flu pandemic ever, the 1918 Spanish flu killed mostly people within 20-40 years old, and did not affect old people much. So no yoga, no Ayurveda will cure this virus. Leading a healthy life is good. WE have a fitness thread on this forum for that, you can post in that freely.

If you want us to believe your specific claims, present evidence, otherwise you are that old guy selling 125$ silver solution with the blond next to him. Atleast he is making money. You are getting hammered for free.
Old 5th March 2020, 02:32   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Without personally attacking your belief and "facts", let me refute some things. Feel free to provide evidence.
I know, this has blown way out of context already

Quick facts:
Fact 1. Yoga would keep you healthy, thus will help you fight against the virus.

Facts 2. Ayurveda will help you cleanse your body, would strengthen your immunity which will help you fight against the virus.

Quote:
Belief is not a cure. A certain guy here said you should pray AIDS away because condoms were against his religion. It does not work like that.
I said what I 'believe in', which in this context: ayurveda and yoga. How does any of that relate to praying for AIDS to go away?

Quote:
Nobody refuted that. It is well known that not touching others will be helpful. Not a single comment said that this point is wrong. Staying away from people always prevents air borne diseases. This is why quarantines are instituted.

By the way it was the Japanese who quarantined healthy people with sick people on a Cruise ship and created a full blown mini pandemic colony with a high death rate
Better read the entire argument. Yes nobody refuted that but certain somebody and not me compared that with the Japanese culture, and how it's just a coincidence. I only said preventing handshake and adapting habits like Namaste is a cure in itself while trying to take pride in our traditional values, people didn't like it.
Blame Japanese all you want, they deserve it. No objections

Quote:
Yes some things work in Ayurveda. It has been proven. But there has been no evidence for Coronavirus cure in any system. You have heard.. Whatsapp forwards... etc., etc., are not valid sources. There is a preacher on TV here who sells 125$ silver solution to cure coronavirus. There is a blonde sitting next to him saying it cured her flu in 12 hours or 24 hours something. She is very passionate, and has heard from her aunts grandsons werewolf brother. She workes with Maki Maki people of the high mountain world where monks can remove mosquitoes from an entire city by farting in their direction.
How can you possibly expect a cure to be already present when the virus itself was discovered recently, but can Ayurveda have a cure, I believe it may have. That's what I believe as in It's my humble opinion, you may believe what suits you.
I also said that if there is a cure for common cold aka flu aka COVID in any line of medicine, that could be a cure for COVID-19 as well.
Never said monks, but as usual people stereotype often. Tibetans = Monks!
Tibetans are real people, they are a society too, have their own medicinal science and have doctors as well. Sounds like a fairytale? Please read about their success in cancer related cases.

Quote:
Many flu's have vaccines, and they did not come from Ayurveda. Symptomatic relief and an actual antiviral agent to kill the pathogen are very simple things. When you have a bad cold with a blocked nose , hot Mongolian meat soup/stew with red chillis will make your nose run. Similar to taking steam. But they are not going to kill the common cold virus
Where did I associate Vaccines with ayurveda? They are two entirely different institutions.
I said modern medicines have no cure for common cold or flu or COVID so there won't be any cure for coronavirus or COVID-19, only Vaccines would be able to stop it.

Quote:
No your post was not "Live a healthy lifestyle, exercise" but you actually claimed there is cure in Ayurveda and monks cure cancer without providing a shred of evidence.
People were ruling out Yoga in prior posts, I said Russian government advised their people to do daily exercises to become fit enough to fight the virus, even made a video for it, so maybe as Indians we should appreciate our own heritage, do Yoga as a form of exercise and stay fit to fight the virus. So would Yoga help in the fight against coronavirus, I believe it would.

Quote:
If you wanted to talk about healthy lifestyle and stuff, fine. But this is coronavirus thread. Do you know, the deadliest flu pandemic ever, the 1918 Spanish flu killed mostly people within 20-40 years old, and did not affect old people much. So no yoga, no Ayurveda will cure this virus. Leading a healthy life is good. WE have a fitness thread on this forum for that, you can post in that freely.
Yeah we have discussed the mortality rate in previous posts in much depths already. You clear with the Yoga context now? It is very much related to this thread.

Quote:
If you want us to believe your specific claims, present evidence, otherwise you are that old guy selling 125$ silver solution with the blond next to him. Atleast he is making money. You are getting hammered for free.
Evidence for what I believe in?
What have I claimed here? That Yoga can keep you fit to fight against coronavirus, or the claim that Ayurveda could have a cure for coronavirus?
Me getting hammered is what you believe, to me it's learning. Only defending what I must, and what is just. Don't care about opinions anyways.

Last edited by wrongturn : 5th March 2020 at 02:56.
Old 5th March 2020, 04:46   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yoga can keep you fit to fight against coronavirus
Quite possibly. Those who do it may be fitter. Those that don't do it --- well it's a bit late to start now. Somewhat irrelevant to the current outbreak. The advice may be noted by survivors, to help them with next year's superbug.

As for your suppositions and might-bes about cures... Are you a qualified ayurvedic practitioner? If so, then I'd expect more than speculation, because that is completely useless and non-productive. Please stop it, for the sake of the signal/noise ratio of this thread.

No doubt students of ayurvedic and other non-"western" medicines will be at work, as they should be. You probably know that one of the recent front-line drugs fighting malaria comes from Chinese medicine: they knew about it for hundreds of years.

Let this thread be a place for news and practicality, not ideology bashing. Or bashing with ideology.

Can we please now take a right turn with this thread?

Can people who are actually qualified, in allopathic or other medicines, give the advice please?
Old 5th March 2020, 05:30   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After all this is the same family of virus, COVID that causes common cold or flu but it's a different strain COVID-19 and it's mutating rapidly, scientist have recently found a second strain of COVID-19

Since modern medicine never had any cure for the COVID virus that causes common cold or flu to begin with, there won't be no cure for COVID-19 or Coronavirus as well. If there was a cure for common cold or flu in any traditional medicine, anywhere in the world, that would cure COVID-19 or coronavirus too probably.
Sir,

I appreciate your desire to defend traditional medicine, but please all causes of common cold and flu are not same. Mostly common cold is not caused by Coronavirus. It is caused by Rhinovirus.
So if you take any medicine (modern or traditional) without knowing what caused it in the first place, you are basically treating it symptomatically. But most Viral infections causing these diseases run their course and you recover.

There are more than 160 Rhinovirus strains because of which no specific antiviral for common cold is developed yet. Add with all Coronavirus and the others like parainfluenza, we are talking about more than 200 different types that can cause cold or flu (in general terms). Many vaccines are developed but they end up useless because a new strain appears. For influenza, well there are vaccines for the more common strains.

Doctors do prescribe antibiotics, but thankfully all doctors I have been to rarely do that. Many of them who do actually do it to prevent secondary infection. Most common complication of flu is a secondary bacterial infection.

Anyways it's all good to follow precautions mentioned in these traditional forms. Problem comes when people start to get emboldened by the false promises and start overlooking real medical advices. Problem is if an infected person believes that ginger garlic water and drinking boiled water is enough.

Last edited by vibbs : 5th March 2020 at 05:52.
Old 5th March 2020, 06:32   #249
BHPian

There are many beliefs and systems that different people follow and each one is certainly entitled to do so. Nothing wrong in that. One may believe in Yoga/Ayurveda, another in Allopathy, someone else in Homeopathy and so on. Lets not belittle each other on this.

What instead we may want to do is, if you are sharing information, please mention the source e.g. My family doctor, my yoga teacher, "renowned" yoga guru, online forum or most popular - Whatsapp University etc.

The rest can take an educated call whether to ignore or follow. Right now, too much information is being shared, and a significant part of it lacks credibility (as it comes from the Whatsapp forwards). Filtering out what is right is super difficult.

Lets help each other on this forum rather than make this a my belief vs your belief thread. Of course, if something is completely contradictory then it may need to be pointed out e.g. the classic mob mentality of a simple surgical mask providing enough protection.
Old 5th March 2020, 06:41   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
There are many beliefs and systems that different people follow and each one is certainly entitled to do so. Nothing wrong in that. One may believe in Yoga/Ayurveda, another in Allopathy, someone else in Homeopathy and so on. Lets not belittle each other on this.
When it comes to belief systems, we have two wheeler riders in India who believe riding on the wrong side of the road is perfectly ok, or car drivers who believe driving with their orvms folded is a great way to avoid picking up scratches. Much the same thing on this thread with most proponents of homeopathy, ayurveda, yoga, acupuncture etc as "cures".
Old 5th March 2020, 06:50   #251
BHPian

With exams getting over, I was planning to take my son for swimming. He was eagerly waiting for the holidays. Unfortunately, I think I will not be able to allow him to go. With pool users sneezing and coughing, the chances of getting infected may be high.
Old 5th March 2020, 07:02   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
With exams getting over, I was planning to take my son for swimming. He was eagerly waiting for the holidays. Unfortunately, I think I will not be able to allow him to go. With pool users sneezing and coughing, the chances of getting infected may be high.
As per experts, contact with water would kill the virus, and adequately chlorinated water in pools is known to kill most respiratory viruses. That said, I feel it is better to avoid community activities if possible, especially if using public pool facilities.

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th March 2020 at 07:05. Reason: Video link added
Old 5th March 2020, 07:04   #253
BHPian

Quote:
I know, this has blown way out of context already

I said what I 'believe in', which in this context: ayurveda and yoga. How does any of that relate to praying for AIDS to go away?

I only said preventing handshake and adapting habits like Namaste is a cure in itself while trying to take pride in our traditional values, people didn't like it.

Me getting hammered is what you believe, to me it's learning. Only defending what I must, and what is just.
You have been very clear in what you said and it is your opinion, so we must respect that.

Handshake to namaste is very logical and I think if tradition helps, no one should have any opposition to it but members certainly may offer similar other solutions such as simply greeting rather than namaste (only).

Ayurveda has been helpful in many ailments where current medicine system fails but at this point, we all are waiting for a proof of cure. If it is Ayurveda, great. Until then, all such actions would be preventive than curative.

Nonetheless, thank you for sharing an alternate perspective.
Old 5th March 2020, 09:01   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So according to you ayurvedic medicine is more akin to religion than science by this statement since it is based on a belief system rather than actual evidence based science?

Do you know how science even works? For a particular compound to even enter animal testing, it must have a known pathway of action and defined target receptors within a cell/DNA/RNA to which it binds.

Most of them typically inhibit a certain action that occurs. E.g. typical NRTI retrovirals inhibit the virus' ability to form double stranded DNA which then can't attack host cells there after. (grossly simplified)

Drugs are only approved after they go through clinical trials which take years to complete and provide statistically significant improvements.

Quote:
How can you possibly expect a cure to be already present when the virus itself was discovered recently, but can Ayurveda have a cure, I believe it may have. That's what I believe as in It's my humble opinion, you may believe what suits you.
So all you have said so far is pure speculation and mind my language pure BS. If I were you, I'd not even bother expressing my opinion in that case.
Old 5th March 2020, 09:06   #255
Team-BHP Support

This is how I look at it.

Our health from external germs is protected by a fort. This fort is our immunity.

There are many ways to make this fort stronger. A healthy lifestyle and good food is the foundation of this fort.

A healthy lifestyle is achieved by exercise. The exercise could be anything from Zumba, Running, Walking, Yoga, Weigh training or many more such activities.

Good food is eating fresh greens, vegetables, fruits and meats. While avoiding the intake of heavily factory processed foods.

Now its not always possible to meet our needs for good food. So supplements come in handy. This is where Ayurveda can help.

Some people are born lucky. They have the genetics that manage to keep the fort very strong even without a full battalion of good food and healthy lifestyle.

Some people have a compromised immune system. In their cases they need all the help they can get from things like supplements and life style gurus.

But what goes without saying is that the best protection is not getting into physical contact with the germs.

Vaccination is a relatively new concept. The body is provided with a blueprint of the invading germs war plan. So they are better equipped to fight them.

But once the germs have already crossed the fort, then its very difficult to over come them with fort repair. Instead its more about making the body as inhospitable for the germs as possible. This is something modern medicine is way better equipped to handle than the traditional practices.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks