Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2020, 13:02   #271
Team-BHP Support

re: The Coronavirus Thread

I read this news.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/74487287.cms

Do employees now need permission to work from home? Or is it only for Call center employees and this is due to TRAI banning VOIP or something. That said lot of people who work with US teams often take late night WEBEX calls from home
Old 5th March 2020, 13:20   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I read this news.

Do employees now need permission to work from home? Or is it only for Call center employees and this is due to TRAI banning VOIP or something. That said lot of people who work with US teams often take late night WEBEX calls from home

Many companies allow a certain number of days/ week to work from home. It varies from role to role. But beyond that, depending on one's designation, a permission is generally required. Permissions are mostly in place to check some fraudulent cases too (I know people who've asked for WFH when they work on a desktop in office)!

The permission from GoI here is because of SEZ regulations, where GoI mandates a certain number of employees be present in office.
Old 5th March 2020, 13:21   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
This doesn't mean that the likelihood of two different individuals getting infected by this new virus is exactly the same when they are subjected to the exact same conditions under which they come in contact with the virus, does it?

Your statement sounds like people will anyway get infected when they come into contact with a new virus (to which they don't have antibodies in their system yet) no matter how strong their immune system is. My understanding was that our immune system can immediately fight a virus or a foreign body as it enters our system, and it can potentially curb it at that level thereby preventing an infection. In some cases, this initial response is not able to completely wipe it out and the virus incubates in our body, leading to an infection.
Correct, sorry if my statement gives the wrong impression. It's basically a cat and mouse game where if the virus replicates faster than the immune system can respond, the symptoms can get more serious. But the problem with COVID-19 (like SARS and MERS) is that data shows it has a very high infectivity where the virus replication is very rapid and in some cases overwhelming for the (innate) immune system to respond and eliminate the infection by itself (link). Hence, the person will almost surely be infected if they come in contact with the COVID-19 virus.

Also to note that while healthy people who get infected showed fewer symptoms and were able to recover (using their adaptive immune system which managed to develop a specific response to the pathogen i.e COVID-19), the infected people are likely to be a medium for the transfer of the disease to the vulnerable group, hence they can't be complicit. Also being healthy doesn't depend just on lifestyle but also on the genetics and the environment.

Overall, I'd say follow John Oliver's advise and exercise the right amount caution - meaning don't panic but don't be complacent.

Last edited by dragracer567 : 5th March 2020 at 13:24.
Old 5th March 2020, 13:42   #274
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In our office (in Singapore), as a part of BCP measures the workforce is split into Team A and B – by department/function and each team will be in office on alternate days. So in my group, 6 of us will work Monday, Wednesday and Friday from office, and Tuesday and Thursday from home. The other 6 will work Tuesday and Thursday from office, and other days at home. The days are reversed in the following week. We have this scheduled until end of March for now.
Old 5th March 2020, 14:21   #275
Senior - BHPian

Government of Karnataka has mandated that all firms that fall under the labour department and are governed by The Shops & Commercial Establishments Act must sanction 28 days of fully paid medical leave to employees with confirmed Corona infection.

Employees need to obtain a medical certificate from the nearest ESI hospital confirming the presence of Corona virus.

A copy of the circular issued to this effect is attached herewith.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CORONA LEAVE.pdf (90.8 KB, 190 views)
Old 5th March 2020, 14:22   #276
Senior - BHPian

People looking for more information on COVID-19, can visit this WHO page. It answers some of the commonly asked questions in this forum.

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-de...-coronaviruses
Old 5th March 2020, 14:30   #277
BHPian

What is more worrying than the COVID-19 pandemic itself is the regular medical bulletins being forwarded on the mobile campuses of the Whatsapp Institute of Medical Sciences!

Everyone should refrain from forwarding unsubstantiated claims of cure for the COVID-19 virus and also not indulge in spreading rumours.

Stay safe!
Old 5th March 2020, 14:43   #278
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do employees now need permission to work from home? Or is it only for Call center employees and this is due to TRAI banning VOIP or something.
They do need permission depending on their roles, company policies, nature of the company (Product Vs. Services). It is a known fact in the IT world all over the world.
Quote:
That said lot of people who work with US teams often take late night WEBEX calls from home
Guess most of us do. Most organizations have done away with Physical VOIP devices now and stick to Webex, Skype and Teams - Works best, is platform independent and portable (even Phones).

Unless you are part of a Service or a Project delivery that mandates you to connect from office (and not via VPNs), with permission, you are allowed to work from home.

Coming back to the main topic - Work from Home as long as your organization permits given the current situation. It always helps you because you don't venture out and get exposed and others when you stay home and don't spread the flu in case you have symptoms.
Old 5th March 2020, 14:51   #279
BHPian

We have 1st confirmed case of corona virus in Gurgaon yesterday:

Link: https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/15-o...ources-2189512

In lieu of that, my employer has also invoked BCP protocols and asked us to work from home till further notice and come office only if necessary.
Old 5th March 2020, 18:01   #280
Senior - BHPian

Now one case in Ghaziabad also.

Delhi Government has asked all the Schools to be closed till 31st of March. Sensible preventive move I say.
Old 5th March 2020, 19:10   #281
Senior - BHPian

Masks are also in short supply and ridiculously overpriced. Right now it seems to be restricted to travellers and contained. If it were to get out in the wild and a few slumdwellers get infected then it will spread like wildfire due to the close packed unhygienic conditions they live in. I dread to think what could happen in a city like Mumbai
Old 5th March 2020, 21:10   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I read this news.

For companies based in SEZ the companies do require permission from the Govt for allowing WFH.
My organisation is based in SEZ and my role is remote, HR had to take permission to allow me to continue working remotely.
Old 5th March 2020, 23:25   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Masks are also in short supply and ridiculously overpriced. Right now it seems to be restricted to travellers and contained. If it were to get out in the wild and a few slumdwellers get infected then it will spread like wildfire due to the close packed unhygienic conditions they live in. I dread to think what could happen in a city like Mumbai
How Many sanitation workers died of swine flu. Or how many sweepers and pig farmers for that matter. However, many elite and upper class were the ones who succumbed to it. During the bird flu scare similar things happened. So it is not the social strata which determines the mortality rate but the ability to resist the disease and the innate immunity you have.
So an "angrez" doing 'aachman' in our rivers dies of diarrhea whereas the mallah or boat men hardly notice any ill effects.
Old 6th March 2020, 00:32   #284
BHPian

Lets keep the debate aside and focus on real time developments and preparations that are underway in India to battle against COVID-19.

The well known Antiviral drugs used for HIV viz .Lopinavir and Ritonavir have been approved for the treatment for COVID-19 cases in India. This is not a latest development but atleast a month old. Please note, these drugs are not specific antivirals for nCoronavirus-19. This combo is being used in couple of countries to treat Coronavirus cases as some patients have shown good response and recovery.

The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200305234438__01__01.jpg

I am a Doctor myself and I can attest this one as an authentic information. The Lopinavir-Ritonavir combo will be protocolised across designated hospitals in our country ( along with other adjunct drugs ).

Read more here - https://www.pharmaceutical-technolog...harma-economy/
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 00:55   #285
BANNED

DSM techie, Apollo staff member in Hyderabad test negative for coronavirus

The Coronavirus Thread-covid19_telangana_coronavirus_129.jpg

The Coronavirus Thread-corona_covid19_telangana_126.jpg

Quote:
Telangana Health Minister Etela Rajender on Thursday informed reporters that samples of both suspected cases of coronavirus from the state have tested negative after they were sent to the National Institute of Virology (NIV) in Pune.

This included the sample of a techie working in Hyderabad's Raheja Mindspace tech park and the sample of an Apollo hospital staff member who came in contact with the first positive case in Telangana when he had availed treatment there last month.
SOURCE

Last edited by a4anurag : 6th March 2020 at 00:56. Reason: Added images.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks