Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2020, 05:58   #301
Team-BHP Support

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Note from mod: Please stop posting misinformation. Just because information is on a website does not make it true. Anybody can create a free wordpress page and post anything, and directing traffic to such scam sites only empowers them
Old 8th March 2020, 15:07   #302
BHPian

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/5-of...-to-39-2191757

Irresponsible behavior to say the least. Apparently they had to be taken to hospital by force.
Old 8th March 2020, 15:19   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Fury View Post
https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/5-of...-to-39-2191757

Irresponsible behavior to say the least. Apparently they had to be taken to hospital by force.
Health Minister of Kerala has made known that those who does not report their travel to Corona infected regions will be treated as if they had committed a criminal offence. She has also appealed to the citizens to stay vigilant and to report any persons in their neighborhood who had returned from foreign nations to the Health Department, so that they can verify whether the travellers had reported themselves and had undergone screening or somehow dodged the facility like the current anti socials

Every individual has a role in this fight against the corona virus, especially due to the presence of morons in our society. So heads up guys
Old 8th March 2020, 16:03   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Health Minister of Kerala has made known that those who does not report their travel to Corona infected regions will be treated as if they had committed a criminal offence. She has also appealed to the citizens to stay vigilant and to report any persons in their neighborhood who had returned from foreign nations to the Health Department, so that they can verify whether the travellers had reported themselves and had undergone screening or somehow dodged the facility like the current anti socials

Every individual has a role in this fight against the corona virus, especially due to the presence of morons in our society. So heads up guys
So, people should be trustworthy and responsible, but guess what... some aren't.

But the answer is simple, and does not involve spying neighbours or wasting the time of teams on unnecessary checks...

Every international passenger should be asked where they have come from, and departure stamps in their passports should be shown and checked.

OR... (and?)

Health checks should be done at the arrival gate, where it is absolutely known from whence that plane came.

This doesn't cover the via-elsewhere possibilities, or countries recently visited, although they are supposed to be listed on that disembarkation slip (still?).

It may be time-consuming, but it is not difficult to cover this stuff at the airport. If it is not done there, it is too late anyway.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 8th March 2020 at 16:05.
Old 8th March 2020, 16:16   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Every international passenger should be asked where they have come from, and departure stamps in their passports should be shown and checked.
Totally agree to your point of view on the procedural lapse. But I think Italy was not in the picture until recently and that may have caused the oversight with the procedures, which let the travelers slip through. The same may be the reason why Italian tourists were allowed to roam around in the North.
Old 8th March 2020, 16:45   #306
Senior - BHPian

I came from Singapore on Friday. At Bangalore airport a guy was using hand held scanner to scan each passenger for temperature. People are asked to fill 2 identical forms to be handed over at 2 different places. Very bureaucratic as expected in India.

But there was no efforts made to identify if the passenger had traveled to any other country apart from the port of boarding.

Seemed strange and half hearted to me.

Kerala should pride itself for it's achievements in public health care due to decades of work on grass root levels. It was indeed commendable that initial 3 cases recovered fully without any further infections. More than 2000 suspected cases were traced and observed to ensure it does not spread further. Of course it comes on back of the valuable experience gained while fighting against Nipah 2 years back.

It is unfortunate that more cases have come out, but guess what- like others said, it is an NRI family who returned from abroad but hid the fact that they travelled to Italy before entering India.

We could definitely do better than adopting a "told you so" attitude!

Last edited by vb-saan : 8th March 2020 at 18:55. Reason: Quoted post deleted. Thank you!
Old 8th March 2020, 17:06   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
I came from Singapore on Friday. At Bangalore airport a guy was using hand held scanner to scan each passenger for temperature. People are asked to fill 2 identical forms to be handed over at 2 different places. Very bureaucratic as expected in India.

But there was no efforts made to identify if the passenger had traveled to any other country apart from the port of boarding.
I read that the line for filling up the forms is very long and people are tightly packed, and have a higher chance of getting infected. Is this true?

Also, is there any risk of being quarantined if traveling from Singapore to Bangalore later this month? I don't have any fever/cough etc.

The filling up of forms is such a waste of effort and resources.
Old 8th March 2020, 18:53   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
I read that the line for filling up the forms is very long and people are tightly packed, and have a higher chance of getting infected. Is this true?

Also, is there any risk of being quarantined if traveling from Singapore to Bangalore later this month? I don't have any fever/cough etc.

This long queue is indeed the reason for the NRI family withholding the information about their trip to Italy. In india the rich can't wait in a queue.

Even when they were identified and when the district administration asked them immediately quarantine themselves in isolation ward of a govt hospital, they denied the offer. How can the rich go to a govt hospital. Finally district administration had to force them. The minister even said that what the family did was a crime.
Old 8th March 2020, 23:30   #309
BHPian

Situation seems to be quite grim in Italy. They have reported almost 1500 new cases and 133 new deaths in last 24 hours today. It is almost at par with China numbers in a single day at its peek in absolute terms. But given the population and area %, numbers are much higher than China. Not certain about the rest of world, but Europe looks to be staring at big crisis given that European economy is highly dependent on tourism and almost all leading nations are battered by coronavirus.
Old 9th March 2020, 00:37   #310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
Situation seems to be quite grim in Italy.
Italy has gone into a major lockdown of the affected area. But just now, I see that, rather than cooperating, thousands of people are attempting to escape the area.

Does anybody recall any other peacetime occasion in the last 50 years where a major restriction has put on the movement of millions of people in Europe?
Old 9th March 2020, 00:47   #311
Team-BHP Support

It looks like business activity recovery in China is being partly faked. Note that Caixin is one of the most respected financial services companies in China. They come out with 'Caixin Markit' economic surveys, which is considered to be barometer for economic growth in China.

Lights Are On but No One’s Working: How Local Governments Are Faking Coronavirus Recovery
https://www.caixinglobal.com/2020-03...101524058.html

Quote:
Leaving lights and air conditioners on all day long in empty offices, turning on manufacturing equipment, faking staff rosters and even coaching factory workers to lie to inspectors are just some of the ways they helped manufacture flashy statistics on the resumption of business for local governments to report up the chain.

Last edited by SmartCat : 9th March 2020 at 00:49.
Old 9th March 2020, 07:51   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post

The airlines do provide the forms in flight. But they gave us only one form each. So at the airport we had to fill one more copy. Funny thing is still they are asking us to declare travel to Wuhan only whereas clearly there are other regions which need more stringent screening.

Anyways so yes all these people being asked to fill just at the exit of aerobridge in Bangalore airport results in some queue. Also one guy checks each customer with a hand held scanner. As usual some people create ruckus questioning this bureaucracy which also delays the proceedings.

For now I don't think there is a risk of quarantine. Singapore is one of the better managed places. However situation can change fast.

I think higher than being quarantined in India, there is a risk of being quarantined in Singapore on the way back if cases in India goes up substantially.
Old 9th March 2020, 08:55   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

A few unrelated questions:
1. Are there any tips from anyone who has been in Colombo in the last week and/or passed through Colombo Airport recently? Need to go on a work trip.

2. Any shops selling masks in KIAL?

3. Any place in BLR where I can source an alcohol-based handrub (like 3M Avagard etc.) Both in a larger format to keep at home and also to carry with me on travel or daily workplace etc.

Last edited by itwasntme : 9th March 2020 at 09:00.
Old 9th March 2020, 08:57   #314
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks,
Have a few domestic flights lined up to/from Bombay over the next two weeks; one or two of them might be from the international / T2 terminal. Do passengers on domestic flights landing at T2 also have to go through the screening process?

Trying to plan in accordance to ensure I don't land up late for my planned activities.
Old 9th March 2020, 09:41   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Folks,
Have a few domestic flights lined up to/from Bombay over the next two weeks; one or two of them might be from the international / T2 terminal. Do passengers on domestic flights landing at T2 also have to go through the screening process?

Trying to plan in accordance to ensure I don't land up late for my planned activities.
Took a couple of domestic flights last week. And both were from T2. There was no screening for domestic passengers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks