Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2020, 18:11   #211
BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Is that boiling water or boiled/cooled water?
Was about to ask the same question!
Boiling water will scald the throat and food pipe.
Old 4th March 2020, 18:12   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Could you please cite sources for these three points?
Whatsapp forwards. These days since every moron has a phone in his hand, he can publish anything he wants. It is upon people like us to weed out the fake ones.

Last edited by civic-sense : 4th March 2020 at 18:27.
Old 4th March 2020, 18:15   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkumarblore View Post
First of all, please do not panic. You should immediately visit Sanjay Gandhi Hospital in Jayanagar or NIMHANS(where they have set up exclusive test center for coronovirus suspects) along with your family members. Please get tested and follow their medical advise.
Please DON'T do this. If you are indeed infected, you'll infect scores more of unsuspecting co travellers on the way.

If you are not ill, do not go to the hospital to get a preventive checkup.

If you are already ill and suspect COVID, quarantine yourself and call the national helpline. Let them guide you.
Old 4th March 2020, 18:30   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohd595 View Post
With positive cases being reported at Dubai, I am literally scared to commute on Dubai Metro which usually is jam packed during peak hours. Does moving to considerably less crowded bus is a better option even if it doubles the commuting time
Have an office colleague who returned from Dubai yesterday and we have told her not to come to office for at least a week. We will check after a week whether we ask her to rejoin office or not.
Old 4th March 2020, 18:51   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Have an office colleague who returned from Dubai yesterday and we have told her not to come to office for at least a week. We will check after a week whether we ask her to rejoin office or not.
Standard timeline, for WFH, post travel is 14 days, which is the approximate incubation time of Covid-19. Suggest 14 days for safety of everyone involved.

PS: Virus not surviving in "heat" (whatever that subjective word means) and eating ginger, garlic, etc. for prevention is pure hoax. Please do not self medicate or forward any unverified claims. Follow WHO or CDC or even UNICEF guidelines for prevention.
Old 4th March 2020, 18:52   #216
BHPian

All the while, i was thinking that I am not affected with these things. But, today I have been told by my company that I need to do WFH for two weeks. The reason? I went to US (22nd till 29th of Feb) on a business trip last month via Dubai. And all the employees who have returned from US have been asked to follow this advisory. Though none of us (3 of us went together to US) have shown any symptoms so far, we are still keeping our fingers crossed till that mandatory 2 weeks period is over.
Old 4th March 2020, 18:58   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSuri View Post
Hi, the virus takes about 4-5 days to show the symptoms like difficulty in breathing. By that time,the lungs have already been damaged upto an extent of 50%. Try doing this:
Please do not post these incorrect recommendations (seemingly) basis whatsapp forwards. There are proper steps shared by other Bhpians earlier on this thread with sources basis guidelines from CDC/WHO/etc.

Washing hands with soap as per recommended guidelines does Not kill the virus. It greatly reduces the probability of it being on your hands and by that lesser probability of infection.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 4th March 2020 at 19:25.
Old 4th March 2020, 18:59   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

How the heck do the cops check drunk driving now? Will anyone even dare use that device to blow into?
Old 4th March 2020, 19:02   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
How the heck do the cops check drunk driving now? Will anyone even dare use that device to blow into?
They were advised last month itself to not do breathalyzer checks due to first few cases reported from Kerala.

Coronavirus in Bangalore: Police urged to suspend use of breathalysers in Bengaluru | Bengaluru News - Times of India https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/73950875.cms
Old 4th March 2020, 19:13   #220
BHPian

Like many here, I am also in a wait and watch mode. Have a trip to Bali scheduled on 2nd week of May. Hopefully things will be better by then. If not, then will have to endure a bad hit to pocket, since all booking are done already.
Old 4th March 2020, 19:33   #221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
#metoo. I returned to India via Dubai on 22nd Feb and am quite paranoid about that. I spent two weeks in Germany and at that time, people hardly bothered about the Virus there and even in Dubai I could hardly see any sort of checks in place. Now that I see Germany and Dubai reporting so many cases, I am pretty worried. As of now I am feeling fine, but badly want this week to end so that the two week window will be over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohd595 View Post
With positive cases being reported at Dubai, I am literally scared to commute on Dubai Metro which usually is jam packed during peak hours. Does moving to considerably less crowded bus is a better option even if it doubles the commuting time
I live in a country where this was reported around a month back, and now we have around 110 cases reported and out of which close to 80 are cleared and discharged out of hospital. People do take precautions like maintaining hygiene, social responsibility of not going out when feeling unwell, washing hands / using hand sanitizer regularly etc. There was some panic in the early days, but after that it is normal, trains and buses are as crowded as before and life goes on. No point in getting paranoid or panic, just make sure to maintain good hygiene levels and stay clear of people who are visibly sick with flu or cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Does this require hospitalization?
Any idea, what was the kinda treatment they were provided?
I don't know about the treatment, but considering that there are no identified medication, it could be standard methods to control flu and other related symptoms. But its quite systematic here, all positive-tested cases are treated in isolation wards and are discharged only after tested negative and cleared the quarantine period. And every case reported is tracked back to the chain/origin. The way it is managed is very transparent and that alleviates the fear and panic among the residents.

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th March 2020 at 19:56. Reason: Additional post quoted
Old 4th March 2020, 19:38   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I live in a country where this was reported around a month back, and now we have around 110 cases reported and out of which close to 80 are cleared and discharged out of hospital
Does this require hospitalization?
Any idea, what was the kinda treatment they were provided?
Old 4th March 2020, 19:40   #223
BHPian

Hello, I've been receiving the whatsapp forwards as others. However, I posted only after confirming all the mentioned points with a doctor friend. Nothing in this world is a 100% cure for any disease, it's only precautions what we can take and try to be safe.

You may research the internet and would find a video of Swami Ramdev mentioning one or two of the points I mentioned.

BTW, it's boiled water,not boiling. But one should have it once it's hot only (around 24-25 degree celcius).

Last edited by vb-saan : 4th March 2020 at 19:48. Reason: Please avoid personal attacks. Thank you!
Old 4th March 2020, 20:51   #224
BHPian

Is there a hotline one should call when they suspect that they might have contracted the virus? Can someone please source such a number? Can the moderators please make/source an action plan incase someone suspect themselves to be a carrier of the virus. And pin it to the thread.

Either that or delete this thread. Either be a source of verified and concrete information or not at all. With whatsapp and FB we have enough means of spread misinformation and misguidance.

I implore the moderators to step in. Deleting the thread is absolutely not a problem. Tbhp is not intended to be a forum about this so it shouldn't be a matter of pride but it absolutely has the responsibility to curb misinformation.

Posted with the best of intentions. Hope it is taken in the same vein.

/Ranga
Old 4th March 2020, 20:51   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Like many here, I am also in a wait and watch mode. Have a trip to Bali scheduled on 2nd week of May. Hopefully things will be better by then. If not, then will have to endure a bad hit to pocket, since all booking are done already.
Better cancel all travel plans unless it is absolutely necessary. And don't expect the situation to ease anytime soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSuri View Post
Hello, I've been receiving the whatsapp forwards as others. However, I posted only after confirming all the mentioned points with a doctor friend. Nothing in this world is a 100% cure for any disease, it's only precautions what we can take and try to be safe.

You may research the internet and would find a video of Swami Ramdev mentioning one or two of the points I mentioned.

BTW, it's boiled water,not boiling. But one should have it once it's hot only (around 24-25 degree celcius).
One may choose to believe quacks and frauds at their own peril. In this era of science and technology, you should put your faith in established modern medical systems and not swamis.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks