Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2020, 14:11   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Ministry of Health has issued a travel advisory for Iran, Italy and Republic of Korea. Indians have been advised to refrain from travel to these countries. And anyone coming in from these countries having a travel history since 10th February maybe quarantined for 14 days.

The Coronavirus Thread-img_20200226_141111.jpg

Source

Last edited by vb-saan : 26th February 2020 at 15:55. Reason: Aligned to the source
Old 26th February 2020, 14:20   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The level of mis-information on this thread is so high I'm appalled how bad (of understanding) the situation might be across the country.

Thank you for this - I hope @mods make this post the first post on this thread to push the right information to folks reading/posting on this thread!
Thank you for the acknowledgement. Since my last post on this thread that was made only 12 days back, 1700 more people died taking the death toll to 2765. Ofcourse, many of these patients had underlying health conditions as well but Coronavirus did aggravate the overall clinical status. A total of 81133 have been affected globally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I hope we are ready; the 3 cases in Kerala seem to have been closed; there is no guarantee/visibility that the country is having the necessary preparations.
Kerala tackled the 3 cases really well but our country is definitely at more risk than any other, given our over crowded living conditions. National Institute of Virology, Pune is the only centre where Coronavirus can be currently tested in India.

Serum Institute of India, Pune - The World's largest Vaccine manufacturer is making brisk progress in preparing a vaccine to combat this novel Coronavirus virus in collaboration with an American company. Infact, this Indian company is the first to move ahead to the preclinical phase of vaccine trials with its virus strain. Good job !

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th February 2020 at 05:47. Reason: Typo.
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2020, 15:49   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Ministry of Health has issued a travel advisory for Iran, Italy and Republic of Korea. Indians have been advised to refrain from travel to these countries. And anyone coming in from these countries having a travel history since 10th February will be quarantined for 14 days.

Source
The advisory say 'may be' not 'will be'. I don't think it is a mandatory quarantine
Old 26th February 2020, 22:06   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
. Kerala tackled the 3 cases really well but our country is definitely at more risk than any other, given our over crowded living conditions.
After the 3 initial cases there are no more reported in India. Does this mean we are doing a good job containing the virus? I understand the situation is only developing. India seems to a perfect place for the virus to spread. The general consensus from "people of the Internet" seems to be that there are no more cases because of not enough testing.
Old 27th February 2020, 04:55   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Fury View Post
After the 3 initial cases there are no more reported in India. Does this mean we are doing a good job containing the virus? I understand the situation is only developing. India seems to a perfect place for the virus to spread. The general consensus from "people of the Internet" seems to be that there are no more cases because of not enough testing.
Kerala tackled it effectively because of the grim experience of Nipah which claimed many lives. Even with the 3 cases of COVID-19, they managed to trace all who got in contact with the infected persons and take necessary measures. But yes, with the kind of population density in India, it is quite easy to spread.
Old 27th February 2020, 10:57   #96
BHPian

Coronavirus is getting trickier:

Quote:
A resident of Solano County, California, who has novel coronavirus might be the first example in the country of "community spread," a situation in which the patient did not have "relevant travel history or exposure to another known patient," the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Wednesday.
Links here and here.

Please do not consider this viral threat as tame. Avoid travel. Anyone telling you this is a media hype is simply misguiding you big big time. Take full precautions and consider the following preventive measures for your family and yourself.
CDC guidelines
WHO guidelines
UNICEF guidelines

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th February 2020 at 02:32. Reason: some excess spaces
Old 27th February 2020, 11:17   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Avoid travel.
Yeah we've cancelled our plans for March, were scheduled to visit Italy. Even if the chances of contracting the covid-19 virus are small, am pretty sure the preventive panic measures will still be in place. Don't want to go there and find all the tourist attractions are closed, or worse get stuck in a foreign city because of a lock-down, or be quarantined in a government hospital when we return. For those with travel plans, the good news is that most airlines are processing full refunds for cancellations due to official government travel advisories.

Last edited by am1m : 27th February 2020 at 11:20.
Old 27th February 2020, 11:37   #98
Senior - BHPian

Is Covid19 biphasic?

Japanese woman confirmed as COVID-19 case for 2nd time, weeks after initial recovery

Quote:
"Once you have the infection, it could remain dormant and with minimal symptoms, and then you can get an exacerbation if it finds its way into the lungs," said Philip Tierno Jr, professor of microbiology and pathology at NYU School of Medicine.

He said much remains unknown about the virus. "I'm not certain that this is not bi-phasic, like anthrax," he said, meaning the disease appears to go away before recurring.
Old 27th February 2020, 11:40   #99
Team-BHP Support

Surprisingly, death rate in South Korea is extremely low - while Iran has much higher death rate than Wuhan.

I wonder if this has something to do how early an infection is detected? Although there is no cure, post hospitalization care helps?
Old 27th February 2020, 11:48   #100
Senior - BHPian

Death rates are different also because of the level of health care.
The challenge with novel corona virus as I understand is that since we have no previous exposure to this strain, the immunity is not there. Since there is no known anti viral medicine that can handle this strain, it means the best we can do is provide supportive care based on the symptoms.

Then it boils down to where you are, how well this supportive care can be provided and strong your immune system is.
Old 27th February 2020, 16:37   #101
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Yeah we've cancelled our plans for March, were scheduled to visit Italy. Even if the chances of contracting the covid-19 virus are small, am pretty sure the preventive.
Wise decision. Some states in Northern Italy and the city of Milan in particular are pretty much shut-down. Attractions / Events are shut / canceled.
Old 27th February 2020, 22:34   #102
Team-BHP Support

Coronavirus' fatality rate is extremely low among young and healthy

The Coronavirus Thread-covid1.jpg

The Coronavirus Thread-covid2.jpg

Lots of data on this page: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Old 27th February 2020, 23:23   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a counter point of view. You are welcome to disagree. Total cases so far 82,589. Total deaths 2814. Total recovered 33,314. Every death is a tragedy for the loved ones of the deceased. I am not for a minute belittling their loss.

As a social impact worker in the area of child health care for the poor and the very poor I see these tragedies unfolding often ie every week some times everyday. In the same 3 months TB and Malaria have killed 600,000 poor in South Asia and Africa mainly. But you wont hear of it. Because those are diseases the First World and the well off in the Third World are protected from or can cure. For the person who cannot afford a cure for TB/Malaria it is as dangerous and terrifying as coronavirus is to us because we have no cure. Not having a cure or not being able to afford a cure is as debilitating and traumatizing if you are at the receiving end. Coronavirus poses some risk to humankind but the reason this thread has 7 pages is because it could affect you and me i.e. the rich.

Question - if coronavirus only infected those who are malnutritioned would it have sparked so much press. I doubt it.
Old 28th February 2020, 01:06   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Question - if coronavirus only infected those who are malnutritioned would it have sparked so much press. I doubt it.
With all due respect sir I think there's a lot of misinformation on both ends of the spectrum - over and underestimating the scale and potential impact of the COVID19 virus. Trump's message yesterday (which has been called incoherent by WHO) bordered on white washing it and kind of wishing it away. Personally I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'll just leave this YouTube channel here as I find the channel's author doing an excellent job at educating people on this topic. This is just a single video but if one watches the videos chronologically it becomes evident as the poop hits the fan fairly quickly, unfortunately.

Edit - added one more

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 28th February 2020 at 01:18.
Old 28th February 2020, 01:52   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Coronavirus poses some risk to humankind but the reason this thread has 7 pages is because it could affect you and me i.e. the rich.
Appreciate your effort towards those less privileged, but don't agree with your line of thinking on questioning the discussion here. Is it really a first world/rich problem alone? What happens if (or when) Coronavirus spreads to the under-privileged communities that you speak of? Nobody wants it to come to that.

This thread has certainly provided some useful information on the topic, so I am not sure what you are alluding to by questioning the discussion in this thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks