Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2020, 09:30   #841
BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
These moves are recommended by Government as far as I understand, when the recommendation is to have social distancing how can community kitchens and shared toilets/facilities be used? I think this move is very much in the right direction as we are supposedly in stage 2.
These moves will decrease the social distancing among the same low-risk age group but will increase the socializing with old-age high-risk family members.

The high incidence of Corona virus in Italy is also because of this - close-knit large families with a high ratio of the elderly.
DigitalOne is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 09:35   #842
Senior - BHPian

Students being sent home is the right move. My son came home a week ago, and will remain here till further info from his institute. I don't have to worry about him using community kitchens/dining rooms/bathrooms/wash rooms. There were a lot of restrictions on students going out of campus and returning for about ten days prior to that.

But there are day scholars too who go home to town and return everyday. By public transport. There are employees and cooks of the various mess/restaurant facilities who do likewise. These were worrying us, but we feel peaceful now. All the students going home have been strictly instructed to remain indoors and avoid unnecessary travel. It is for the parents to watch out enforce it now.

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th March 2020 at 11:10. Reason: Typo corrected
Old 19th March 2020, 09:49   #843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
All the students going home have been strictly instructed to remain indoors and avoid unnecessary travel. It is for the parents to watch out enforce it now.
Not to sound alarming.

The risk is for the parents, not for the students. Many people do not maintain social distancing within families. . The youngsters may be asymptomatic carriers.
DigitalOne is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 10:05   #844
Senior - BHPian

Italy had yet another bad day - Italy coronavirus deaths rise by record 475 in a day. At this rate, Italy death toll will cross China today.

BTW, here is a recount from a New Yorker, who tested positive:
Quote:
Hi! Unlike a lot of people you’re hearing from on here, I have actually tested positive for Covid-19. I was most likely exposed on March 3rd, became ill about a week later, and just received my official test results today, March 17th.

Coronavirus feels like the most devastating flu I have ever had. Intense bouts of fever, alternating with the kind of chills that, even with three sweaters on, make your teeth chatter uncontrollably. I’m “lucky”, relatively speaking, because my temperature never went higher than 102 degrees Fahrenheit, but even then, it felt like my body was burning up. Plus, a general feeling in my head that I can only describe as “heavy” or “flu-ish” that makes every movement and activity feel like a massive chore.

A few days later, I developed a very annoying dry cough. But again, I am lucky because there have been no chest pains or breathing problems, which would be a reason to be hospitalized.

My appetite has been nearly nonexistent—I am normally a big eater, and it’s only been in the past couple days that I’ve been able to make myself eat anything. Even then, it feels very gross, and I can only consume very small amounts.

Fortunately, I’ve been able to manage my symptoms just by taking Tylenol, and my condition appears to be improving. The worst part, though, is being stuck at home but feeling too sick and exhausted to actually do anything except sit around and cough.

As I said, I’m one of the lucky ones: According to the doctors, I will most likely be fine in another week.

But trust me, people: This virus is real. You do NOT want it. And you do not want to be the one who gave it to someone else. Chances are, many of you are carrying it already, even if you don’t have any symptoms. (I most likely had it for at least a week before ever feeling sick.) Stay home, and wash your damn hands!
Source: https://qr.ae/pNnVdM
msdivy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 10:06   #845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Not to sound alarming.

The risk is for the parents, not for the students. Many people do not maintain social distancing within families. . The youngsters may be asymptomatic carriers.
I agree with this potential risk and it is significant. Most youngster will probably have what they may think to be a common cold episode or a normal viral fever.

But if it turns out to be due to n-COVID19, it could be a different story on the parents.

BTW I have alse been seeing a lot of misinformation regarding eating Non veg. I was told by a colleague that at his Hometown in Satara, college students have taken up the task of spreading Corona awareness (which is good IMO but there should be a clear guidelines on what is being spread). At the moment, they also seem to be recommending people not to eat non veg.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 10:28   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Not to sound alarming.

I understand your point and concern, let us just hope that there is no community transmission yet and so the families are safe
Old 19th March 2020, 10:46   #847
Distinguished - BHPian

An Italian citizen on Quora had shared a picture from his highrise apartment's bedroom window of a long convoy of Military trucks on the road below. The convoy was taking a 1000 dead bodies for mass cremation. The near and dear of the dead were informed via phone and that's it. They never got to see their dear departed one last time.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 10:50   #848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
An Italian citizen on Quora had shared a picture from his highrise apartment's bedroom window of a long convoy of Military trucks on the road below. The convoy was taking a 1000 dead bodies for mass cremation. The near and dear of the dead were informed via phone and that's it. They never got to see their dear departed one last time.
Are we sure of this. I have older relatives Milan - I mean Italians and not NRIs. I speak to them on phone . Haven't heard anything like this.
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 10:55   #849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Are we sure of this. I have older relatives Milan - I mean Italians and not NRIs. I speak to them on phone . Haven't heard anything like this.
Plus one to this.

One of my team members is from Italy. Based in Genoa. Speak to him on a daily basis. I haven't heard anything of this sort either.

Though he did say that military is on the streets.
Old 19th March 2020, 10:57   #850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Yes I am sure of what I read and saw this morning on Quora. I didn't bookmark the answer or save it though.

Edit: Here's confirmation enough - https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...elmed-11959994

Quote:
The Italian city of Bergamo, one of the worst-hit by the coronavirus outbreak, is having to transport its dead out of the city as its crematorium is struggling to cope.

Army vehicles have been brought in to move dozens of coffins from Bergamo to other regions, according to Ansa news agency.

The wealthy city, northeast of Milan in Italy's Lombardy region, has recorded at least 93 coronavirus-related deaths as cases continue to grow relentlessly each day.

The mayor of Bergamo, Giorgio Gori, said the true number of related deaths could be higher as many people with COVID-19 symptoms had died before being tested.

"The crematorium of Bergamo, working at full capacity, 24 hours a day, can cremate 25 dead", said a spokesperson for the local authority.

Coffins are now being taken to crematoriums in Modena, Acqui Terme, Domodossola, Parma, Piacenza and several other cities.

Once the bodies have been cremated, the ashes will be brought back to Bergamo.

Reuters journalists witnessed two funerals per hour, over a period of six hours, on Monday.

Many of the deceased were unable to have funerals as the demand is too high, and instead they were taken to a chapel inside a church within the cemetery.

Coffins have already filled up two hospital mortuaries and a cemetery morgue.

Relatives have been allowed to enter the cemetery to pay their respects, but only in limited numbers and with the recommended amount of distance between each other to prevent the spread of the virus.

Meanwhile, the local newspaper's daily obituary section has increased from two or three pages to 10.

Last edited by locusjag : 19th March 2020 at 11:00. Reason: Added link
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 11:04   #851
Senior - BHPian

Amongst all the negativity here are some positive developments

1. China has closed down its last temporary coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/vi...hospital-video

2. Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine.

https://www.insideover.com/society/i...-patients.html

3. A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.d...ronavirus.html

4. Apple reopens all 42 stores in China

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.t...virus-covid-19

5. Number of new cases declining in South Korea

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...et-its-success

6. Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/m.eco...w/74592807.cms

7. All 7 patients who were getting treated for at Safdarjung hospital in New Delhi have recovered.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.t...64785.ece/amp/
AMG Power is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 11:11   #852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not to sound alarming.

Perhaps. But he has already been home for a week. And they had started screening measures for those returning from outstation trips a week before that. So we should be safe. My wife and I are in our 50's. My parents live with us too, and they are in their 80's. There is only so much social distancing you can practice within the home. Not very practical.

I am retired, but my wife still works. She goes to work by EMu, which will be free and uncrowded when she leaves for work. But will be crowded in the evenings when she returns, so I have started picking her up from office. If situation warrants I will also drop her in the mornings.

We can only take whatever precautions we possibly can. And hope for the best. Rest is fate!
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 11:30   #853
Senior - BHPian

The authorities are working to identify the contacts when someone tests positive. They then keep the contacts (usually in tens and sometimes in hundreds) under observation or some cases in quarantine. This is where they can be a little pro-active and test them instead.

With some cases turning positive after 10 days of returning from abroad, I am not sure if you can really do 100% contact tracing. Why not test when you have to do few tens of tests ? Why are we being so stingy ? The primary test costs about 1500 and the later confirmation one about 3000. Govt is gambling in this case.
Old 19th March 2020, 11:41   #854
Team-BHP Support

Re: Working from home? Show us your home office

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
My work doesn't let me work from home. If I've to shut my clinic, I'll be at home with no work! I have 2 consultation chambers, one at home and one in main area. I am going to both the places as of today....
Tricky situation doc. You're risking exposure going out, but also risking someone infected walking in at the home office, isn't it?
Old 19th March 2020, 11:47   #855
Senior - BHPian

Some funny but frustrating things happening around in my area

Our's is a colony of 13 buildings, someone from the building next to ours returned from abroad two days back and obviously some Municipal Corporation people along with police arrived at their place to check on their health and request them to self-quarantine as per the protocol. Now, their building's security guard spread the news that the person has contracted this disease. Meanwhile, I returned from Kokan day before yesterday, and by that time, this false news had spread in our entire colony. People brought vegetables and milk in panic fearing lockdown, when I arrived in the evening, not a single shop around had any grocery left.

Funny part is, the person's surname who had returned from abroad and our surname is the same, and for some reason my family is more famous in our colony, so the word spread that MY family is the one who has contracted the virus The janitors, maids and my kid's nanny all refused to step in our building. We had to tell our building's guard to clarify the whole situation to these people. My mom had a verbal fight with the maids as they demanded paid leave of 15 days. So, we have given them 3 days leave as per government's order and kid's nanny is going on loss of pay till 31st.

This man-made chaos based on mis-interpretation and rumours when not a single case has been discovered in our colony yet left us in splits yesterday !
All these rumor-mongers need to be isolated first and whipped with bamboo sticks !

Last edited by NiInJa : 19th March 2020 at 11:48.
NiInJa is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks