Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2020, 20:18   #781
BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Looking at their situation I postponed travel by a month. My Flight is also cancelled so now waiting for situation to improve. I can not imagine myself with my two kids in filthy quarantine.

It is not surprise, that many are running away from quarantine.
It is a good decision to postpone your travel.

While I can imagine that the quarantine facilities in India might not be ideal, especially when coming from western countries, I would try not to run away from the quarantine system as you might be putting other lives in danger. You does not necessarily mean you personally, but those who are getting into India from affected regions (Europe as of now).
Old 17th March 2020, 20:40   #782
Senior - BHPian

Latest update from Singapore is that today has been a very bad day with 23 new cases of which 17 are imported. I have a feeling very soon Singapore will close its borders for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post

Please don't go by the testing statistics in news reports and journals who have absolutely no idea of sample size taken.

India began screening all airports, port of entry and land routes much earlier than western world.

Two scenarios,
1. Testing a person to find out if he is Covid19 positive on entry into country and quarantining the person. Tests done - 1
2. Allowing the person to enter the country without screening and letting him go home and mingle within society to later find out many people are Covid19
I have said this before and I say this again.

The whole screening at airport thing being propagated is to be taken with a spade full of salt. I have already shared my personal experience of the screening process at Bangalore. Today I was speaking to another colleague who travelled to India from Singapore couple of days before me. He travelled to Mumbai.

Guess what? The exact same experience. One guy with a hand held temperature sensor manually scanning the passengers. What more, my colleague was not even scanned. So he went back and insisted he be scanned. When was this? March first week.

I am not saying this happens wilfully. Just that it is highly inefficient. Although I feel the whole excercise of screening itself is highly hyped, the least a country like India can do is equip the main international airports with full body thermal imaging equipments which will make such cases highly unlikely.

Then the talk of screening not happening in other places is also not entirely true.

I had traveled to Cairo, Cyprus and Stockholm in first 2 weeks of feb. I was screened in Cairo. I was screened in Cyprus. Infact my passport was inspected and upon seeing Chinese visa and proof of travel in December I was taken aside for separate screening at airport in Larnaca.

I admit, I don't remember any screening in Stockholm though. But I was on a flight from Doha and Qatar didn't have any cases yet then.
Old 17th March 2020, 20:49   #783
BHPian

Coming from Kim Iverson, this story now sounds more plausible.

Old 17th March 2020, 20:51   #784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
In the below video, you can see the facilities available in the quarantine wing of Government Medical College, Kannur (view from 5.29 of the video).

EDIT : I posted this because I don't want your post to be a decision factor for someone to bypass the health desk at the airport for fear of a filthy quarantine.
I am from Kannur and this Govt.hospital is not medical college but District hospital. We cannot assume the facility and condition is like this everywhere in India. I can see that they can accommodate 15-20 people without any issues but nobody know what happens if number increases.

Last edited by Latheesh : 17th March 2020 at 20:58.
Old 17th March 2020, 21:05   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I am from Kannur and this Govt.hospital is not medical college but District hospital. We cannot assume the facility and condition like this everywhere in India. I can see that they can accommodate 15-20 people without any issues but nobody know what happens if number increases.
Latheesh, Thank you for the correction. As per the Health authorities, God forbid, if the numbers go up, they plan to bring in private hospitals, acquire hostel buildings, hotels etc and convert them to treatment / quarantine facilities.

Again, here is where preventing the secondary infections plays a vital role and for that detection and isolation plays a key role. So lets hope that no infectious cases go undetected from air ports and people in home quarantine remains responsible for themselves and for the society and stays home.
Only time will tell. Again hope that India plays it right and we will get over this crisis unscathed.
Old 17th March 2020, 21:41   #786
Senior - BHPian

My advice: given the Corona Scare and all round slump in businesses; many people are going to lose their livelihoods and that may drive them to crime. It's better not to buy anything expensive now, keep liquidity in hand for the uncertain times ahead.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th March 2020 at 01:25. Reason: loose > lose.
Old 17th March 2020, 21:42   #787
Senior - BHPian

Many of us aren't really satisfied with the way things are being handled at different levels of government regarding Corona outbreak. We vent our anger, frustration, dissatisfaction here, on the thread.

A good number of writers have some excellent alternate ideas too. The central government has invited suggestions and innovative ideas to tackle the menace from such people.

Please visit this site and pitch in with your inputs. You might really be of some help.

Disclaimer: No interests or affiliations whatsoever.
Old 17th March 2020, 22:23   #788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himarg View Post
I too am looking for answers to this query. It would be great to know if there have been any instances of free cancellation.
Vistara has offered full refund upon cancellation. But couldn't contact AirAsia as the wait time is too high.
Old 18th March 2020, 00:12   #789
BHPian

One thing I am afraid of is if we are yet to face the surge. States like Kerala have decent medical infrastructure and thus were able to track down and quarantine suspected cases.

What if the low numbers in the rest of the states are people who are either experiencing mild symptoms and think it'll go away on it own, or prefer not to get help due to the perceived social stigma?

I sincerely hope my fears are proved false, and this nightmare passes away quickly.

Last edited by SaiSW : 18th March 2020 at 00:14.
Old 18th March 2020, 01:04   #790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
I got a mild dry cough today morning and I freaked out since it's common for tourists from around the world to ride around in the Dubai subway.
A quick update on this, I made an appointment at a nearby clinic for today evening. My dry cough progressively got worse and today morning I got mild fever which by evening became high. By the time I reached the clinic, my fever was 39 C (102 F). Despite being classic symptoms (high fever, dry cough), they didn't do a COVID-19 test right away but instead did a CRP and CBC blood test for which I'll get the results tomorrow. I'm guessing that based on the CRP result and my condition tomorrow, they'll probably decide on a further course of action. Despite not being explicitly told, I am putting myself in self-quarantine for the next 5 days (was already isolated for the last 2 days).

PS officially there have been only 98 confirmed cases in the UAE as of now.
Old 18th March 2020, 05:57   #791
Senior - BHPian

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...135500255.html

Iran has warned that Millions could be killed if people do not pay heed to the warnings and follow precautions.

I have a feeling, it is already out of control in Iran at the moment.

Our country still is in stage 2. Which is good news. I think we will be good as long as we prevent the spread to Tier 3 cities and rural population.
Old 18th March 2020, 07:14   #792
BHPian

Quote:
A quick update on this,

am putting myself in self-quarantine for the next 5 days (was already isolated for the last 2 days)
Wish you a speedy recovery!
Old 18th March 2020, 09:24   #793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Coming from Kim Iverson, this story now sounds more plausible.
At this stage, does it even matter wheather it's a biological weapon or not. Instead of debating over this topic, we should rather be focussing on containing the spread of this virus and finding a possible cure.

Last edited by Eddy : 18th March 2020 at 10:35. Reason: Removing video from quotes
Old 18th March 2020, 09:50   #794
BHPian

Quote:
A quick update on this...Despite not being explicitly told, I am putting myself in self-quarantine for the next 5 days (was already isolated for the last 2 days).
Sorry to read this. Wish you a full recovery. Hang in there.
Old 18th March 2020, 11:16   #795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Despite not being explicitly told, I am putting myself in self-quarantine for the next 5 days (was already isolated for the last 2 days).
Sorry to hear about it; but good to see you are aware of it and taking necessary action. I do hope folks around you who have interacted with you over the last 14 days have been duly informed/updated on your status so they can monitor themselves too.

If it is not a problem, can you document your daily health conditions (as well as historically last week or so)? Considering a lot of us are going to look at our own health symptoms checking if a running nose or normal cough/fever is actually a symptom of the virus; it might help to get a detailed perspective. Maybe a separate thread?

But please do focus on your health first
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks