Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2020, 18:16   #826
BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
So the claim that the virus can survive in the air is just another false information, I guess.(It's posted just a page before)
If you are referring to my post, what the article mentions need to be clarified.

"Survive" as in a living entity - No. As much as "My mobile survived a fall to the ground" does not mean the mobile is a living entity.

A virus is not a living entity. It is a "nano particle" made of RNA, lipids and proteins which needs host cells to replicate. Outside the host it just passive entity waiting to be hosted in a cell.
AltoLXI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 18:40   #827
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRider View Post
Which source is this from ? I just checked on the WHO site which updates numbers daily and I can see for singapore 0 new cases for Mar 17 and 31 new cases for Mar 16. Overall total cases till now is 243.
The source is the daily update from the govt./ministry of health. I have registered in the gov.sg website, and every night we get a message on WhatsApp highlighting the day's statistics (as of 12pm that day). This include details like:
1) Total new cases for the day
2) Total cases till date
3) Discharged today
4) Total discharged till date
5) Total in hospital
6) How many in ICU
7) How the new cases are traced and so on.

As of 17th March update we have 266 cases, and 23 were new. More details can be seen at the gov.sg website

Last edited by vb-saan : 18th March 2020 at 19:03.
vb-saan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 19:57   #828
BHPian

Here is a source of information and a point of view that I truly believe!

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tuck...-war-adversary
Old 18th March 2020, 20:04   #829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tuck...-war-adversary
Is he the same guy who John Oliver compared to Arnab goswami?
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 20:28   #830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
He seems to be an authority on a lot of other stuff (/s)but I'd trust these links

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html

https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...nical-guidance
Old 18th March 2020, 20:43   #831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The source is the daily update from the govt./ministry of health. I have registered in the gov.sg website, and every night we get a message on WhatsApp highlighting the day's statistics (as of 12pm that day). This include details like:
1) Total new cases for the day
2) Total cases till date
3) Discharged today
4) Total discharged till date
5) Total in hospital
6) How many in ICU
7) How the new cases are traced and so on.

As of 17th March update we have 266 cases, and 23 were new. More details can be seen at the gov.sg website
Today has been another bad bad day.

Last three days have progressively outdone the previous highs. Today it is 47 new cases with 33 imported. :(

Singapore government has been defiant by stating they won't lock down the country, but I feel it is going to be difficult for them to maintain this stand going further.

Already it is a mandatory 14 stay at home notice for all overseas travelers from Friday 1159 PM.

After 2 days of staying at home for some mild symptoms, I joined back office today. I was told by my GP on Monday that if my symptoms don't worsen or I don't develop fever, I can resume work from Wednesday. Although our company has allowed WFH, I has some urgent work at office that mandated a visit. It will be WFH again from tomorrow onwards for further 2 weeks if my family gets a stay at home notice.

This also means I need to stock 2 days worth of food at home tomorrow.

Meanwhile India has also extended travel restrictions. Even Indian passport holders will not be allowed to enter the country in traveling from UK, whole of Europe and Turkey!

Last edited by vibbs : 18th March 2020 at 20:57.
vibbs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 21:57   #832
BHPian

The son of a bureaucrat who returned from UK sends West Bengal home secretary and his wife, who is the VC of Calcutta university along with other officials into home quarantine. AFAIK he refused to be admitted to a govt. hospital. Sheer stupidity!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Xa2XnO&ampcf=1

Last edited by Raj_RD : 18th March 2020 at 22:08.
Raj_RD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 22:01   #833
BHPian

https://medium.com/@VikramJ_IAS/indi...h-ac0c0cd84b49

A very well formulated article. The author points towards asymptomatic individuals, typically in the 20-40 age bracket for whom the virus is as mild as viral fever. This category are NOT BEING TESTED OR SCREENED since they don't show any symtoms. Hence, according to the author, through these individuals, the virus has pretty much proliferated most of the country.

While the good news is that the virus isn't fatal, it's highly contagious nature will overburden the system.

Quote:
Out of each hundred infected people, twenty will end up in the hospital and up to ten in ICU. Out of each hundred!!

The overall death rate is 1%, but with a well-functioning health system. In an overburdened system like Delhi, with only 8000 ICU beds, serving a population of 20 million, the death rate can be ten times, 10%, even more, especially in above 60.
Here's the example of Italy -

Quote:
A doctor friend told me that in Italy, patients older than 65 are not getting intubated; in short, they are being left to die. Left to die because doctors and equipments are limited. This is a country with the second-best healthcare system in the world; Indian healthcare is at 112th place.

The solution?

Quote:
Save the old from young, not the young from outsiders. Minimize the contact of elders; people above sixty should not meet below 40 in any case — separate rooms and bathrooms in houses. A national campaign can be run to keep them isolated.
AlQuazi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 22:52   #834
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
Even I have 4 tickets booked for Mumbai - Bangalore for May End and I am not sure if I should get it cancelled now or wait it out. Do keep us updated on what MMT tells you about the cancellation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
How did do manage to get a response? I am struggling in this for some days. Even contacted them on Fb to not much avail.
Here is the link that came in an email form from MMT
https://www.makemytrip.com/support/c...ource=smartech

In one of the forms here, i retrieved my booking and placed a cancellation request, and i got an email that they are working with the airlines and confirm back the status. Havent heard anything at all today though. if i do here, i will circle back here.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 23:27   #835
BHPian

Guys, some good news coming in.. Hope this is the turnaround we were all waiting for.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9408066.html
CliffHanger is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 01:07   #836
BHPian

Apologies if this is political, but just watch the about turn. These people in positions of high power and responsibility willingly misinformed or mislead the public

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/statu...342917633?s=19
Old 19th March 2020, 02:29   #837
BHPian

OT Alert:

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Apologies if this is political, but just watch the about turn.
Ah, that's fox news, a pathetic excuse for a news house rallying behind a clown in the Whitehouse. We do have our own set of Ill informed influencers who are misleading the gullible for their own political ends.

Guys, anyone tracking the mathematical components? Can anyone interpret the data and see if the curve is getting flattened for the country. Media is reporting we are in Stage 2, how fast is the window closing before we hit the next stage. Can we find any optimism in God's own language?
doxinboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 08:51   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
You are 100% right. It is better to say put and avoid any un-intentional consequences.....
Regarding advisory by govt/companies - I will leave it to them.

-Sunil
Young people going back to home-towns to do WFH or wait out their college closures is an underestimated risk. They may be asymptomatic but they may pass on the virus to their near ones inadvertently.

I am getting uneasy about these kind of moves by colleges, and companies everywhere.

Somebody in Team-bhp with influence/following on Twitter should try to get the authorities attention to the risks, and put out an advisory.
DigitalOne is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 08:57   #839
Senior - BHPian

This is very significant for those working to understand covid's spread https://www.zdnet.com/article/graph-...rld-after-all/

A quant friend Karthik Shashidhar came up independently with much the same conclusion and developed an R simulator that lets you model it - https://github.com/skthewimp/covid19
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2020, 09:03   #840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Young people going back to home-towns to do WFH or wait out their college closures is an underestimated risk. They may be asymptomatic but they may pass on the virus to their near ones inadvertently.

I am getting uneasy about these kind of moves by colleges, and companies everywhere.

Somebody in Team-bhp with influence/following on Twitter should try to get the authorities attention to the risks, and put out an advisory.
These moves are recommended by Government as far as I understand, when the recommendation is to have social distancing how can community kitchens and shared toilets/facilities be used? I think this move is very much in the right direction as we are supposedly in stage 2.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks