Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2020, 11:08   #976
Senior - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Not sure if this was shared earlier. But if this indeed works, we can see a quicker resolution as the mentioned drug(chloroquine) is already commonplace.

Or is it just a move to try and stabilize the market

Last edited by SoumenD : 21st March 2020 at 11:10.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 11:13   #977
Distinguished - BHPian

We have sent our maid on paid leave till 31st. Till then we are using our dishwasher and washing machines at high temp washes for doing the dishes and clothes. With a 4 year old at home, the last thing I would like is to take chances against an unknown pandemic.

Request everyone to use highest temperature washes in their washing machines and dishwashers whoever have access to them.

Last edited by saket77 : 21st March 2020 at 11:15.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 11:17   #978
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Not sure if this was shared earlier. But if this indeed works, we can see a quicker resolution as the mentioned drug(chloroquine) is already commonplace.

Or is it just a move to try and stabilize the market
Not approved. How is he allowed so frequently to get up on essentially a world stage with whatsapp forwards?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/polit...fda/index.html
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 11:30   #979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Not approved. How is he allowed so frequently to get up on essentially a world stage with whatsapp forwards?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/polit...fda/index.html
Being the president probably helps

It's indeed wrong information as of now(being approved by FDA). But the treatment which Indian doctors carried out included some dosage of same drug as per reports. Link

And French researchers as well claimed something similar with the same drug. Link
Old 21st March 2020, 11:34   #980
BHPian

Additional urgency to follow social distancing
Doc says we have already moved to stage 3 dr-arvind-kumar-543570
Old 21st March 2020, 12:01   #981
BHPian

Testing criteria has been updated to include symptoms without travel history and asymptomatic contacts/highrisk. Expect a massive hike in number of positive cases. Don't think we can actually stop the spread now without a national lockdown.

All/most of the hospital owners & staff in districts and tier 2 towns have been contacted by health authorities (dmho, collectors, health min office..etc) to prepare for isolation facilities here in telangana. Preparations for the worst are going on at full swing at all levels (private as well as public hospitals). We have already cancelled all non-essential & elective procedures, however the general public is yet to understand this and want to get treated as they have got 'holidays' now.

PS: My only hope at this moment is that somehow the spread will be contained magically and mortality won't be as bad as other countries. Attaching the new testing criteria.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200321120225__01.jpg  

Last edited by harsha.muvva : 21st March 2020 at 12:03.
harsha.muvva is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 12:21   #982
BHPian

The shutting down and call from Indian government and state governments is essential because our fellow citizens find it tough to comply with rules. Railway official who hid his son in Bangalore, IAS from Bengal who didn't quarantine her son, IAS officer from Bihar who facilitated daughters coming from abroad not to undergo screening & quarantine, the Bollywood singer recently and we have many such cases of babus, govt officials, rich brats and common man not paying heed to instructions. We are in stage 3 and community spread is happening as we speak. Can't be lackadaisical. Have my parents staying with me and a pre term 1 year old son who has lesser immunity compared to normal babies. So no complacency at any cost. Economy will bounce back in a few months or years but loved ones once gone won't.

If we don't practice social distancing now for 2-3 weeks, the death rates will be worse due to our population density.

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st March 2020 at 12:40. Reason: Quoted post deleted, hence removing the related response. Thanks
whencut86 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 12:24   #983
Senior - BHPian

As of now, actually there is no "Yes" or "No" answer to the question "Will spread of Coronavirus COVID-19 cease or slow down in hot weather conditions ?".

Here is a very definitive analysis on this topic. I quote:

Quote:

According to a report from Massachusetts Institute of Technology released this week, areas with average temperatures between around 37°F and 55° F had the most confirmed coronavirus cases, while countries with average temperatures above about 64 F made up less than 5% of total reported cases.
European researchers said this week they found 95% of worldwide cases have been counted in places that fall in between about 28° F and 40° F, which mirrors the MIT report.
The early days of the pandemic before intervention by the Chinese government were studied by Beihang University in Beijing, who said that China’s hot, humid cities experienced slower transmission rates than colder ones.
Similarly, a team made up of researchers from the University of Maryland and at the University of Medical Sciences in Tehran found the virus spread more forcefully in areas between 41° F and 52° F degrees, along with an average humidity rate between 50% and 80%.
However, none of these papers have been peer-reviewed, and factors like access to quality medical care, government action, testing rates and the density of an area’s population are other principal factors in coronavirus transmission.
Source:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carliep.../#bc1dba42f7bc

Last edited by DCEite : 21st March 2020 at 12:27.
DCEite is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 12:34   #984
Senior - BHPian

The Coronavirus thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
No living human being has experienced this before but definitely should have planned for the worst when cases started spreading outside of China. It was more of a lethargic attitude and acted only when they started experiencing the bad which has now turned to worse and probably the worst is yet to come. To add to that, many educated people are not adhering to the prevention and are not worried even a little bit on theirs or their families' safety.
Right. There was a false sense of security all around. Leave other countries, what was the general political and public discourse in our own country till few weeks back? Even in this thread itself we have enough people downplaying this even now comparing death rates etc.

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st March 2020 at 12:41. Reason: Quoted post deleted, hence removing the related response. Thanks
SilentEngine is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 13:08   #985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
As of now, actually there is no "Yes" or "No" answer to the question "Will spread of Coronavirus COVID-19 cease or slow down in hot weather conditions ?".

Here is a very definitive analysis on this topic. I quote:

Source:

Agree, but the various researchers on this topic add that the virus can stay active for upto 4 hours in hot climates and upto 48 hours or even more in cold climates. So we still can catch the virus in 4 hours in hot climates if we come in contact with it.

We were told pets won't catch the virus but there have been cases of dogs catching the virus in Hong Kong. We were also told that pets can't transmit to humans but we never know for sure. So better to be cautious.

WHO recently received a $20 million aid from China. The Director General of WHO is an Ethiopian politician and Ethiopia is said to have a lot of Chinese investments and projects. They took their own sweet time to declare this a pandemic.

So whether you like or hate the national or state governments, please follow the advice given by the respective State or Indian Govt.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regi...i-virus-effort
whencut86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 13:08   #986
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Right. There was a false sense of security all around. Leave other countries, what was the general political and public discourse in our own country till few weeks back? Even in this thread itself we have enough people downplaying this even now comparing death rates etc.
Right now one major concern is some people believing Indians have some special immunity or promoting pseudo science or that because of our climate this virus will not be able to spread here. This can give people a false sense of security thinking they are immune or there is nothing to worry and they can continue going about with their lives. This is especially true where there is no lock down imposed yet. Keep calling out any such thing you see on social media or get on whatsapp and hopefully we can contain this virus spreading.

The Coronavirus Thread-print.jpg
AZT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 13:10   #987
BHPian

Quote:
"Will spread of Coronavirus COVID-19 cease or slow down in hot weather...

Source:

You need to pay attention to the words "none of these papers have been peer-reviewed"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Right now one major concern is some people believing Indians have some special immunity or promoting pseudo science or that because of our climate this virus will not...
One thing that we can deduce from all this is that, we as a society seem to be immune to knowledge. The good news? All "trustworthy" sources will prove themselves unworthy of the public's trust, giving each one of us a huge dose of skepticism. The bad news is that we will never be sure of anything - which is probably a good thing if we become a society that begins to question everything.

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st March 2020 at 14:49. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use Edit or Multi-quote options if posting back-to-back.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 14:00   #988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Warmer weather could slow the spread of coronavirus. The statement is based on recent analysis of MIT not by me, as usual. Here is the link:

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...armer-weather/

Wanted to share something positive.

Italy (Rome) and Spain (Madrid) right now are at 12℃ and Germany (Brelin) at 7℃. Maybe that's the reason for high number of cases as temperatures between 03℃ to 13℃ are ideally suited for coronavirus transmission. Let's hope our warmer weather will help us in fighting against this virus.
One word: Kerala. Even a mid-winter day in Kerala is like a summer heatwave in Northern Europe.
Sorry to pour cold water on the warm-weather theory, I'd love it if there was any hope at all in it, but, at best, I'd say file it under faith and hope. And don't rate it highly. It is true to say that it it is being said in more respectable places than Whatsapp. But only as a just-possibly-maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Request everyone to use highest temperature washes in their washing machines and dishwashers whoever have access to them.
A 90C "boilwash" is likely to destroy many of our clothes as well as any viruses. Question for doctors: what washing-machine temperature would be considered high enough? I'd say 60, but I'm not an authority.

Quote:
There is no Yes-Or-No answer to the question of reincarnation. And a million other things in life. It'll be nice if many of these things turn out to be as per our faiths, beliefs, etc, but, at best... wait and see.

I don't think there is any point in waving this warm-weather flag. As I said at the beginning of the post, Kerala alone might go a long way to making it a "no."
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 14:08   #989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

A 90C "boilwash" is likely to destroy many of our clothes as well as any viruses. Question for doctors: what washing-machine temperature would be considered high enough? I'd say 60, but I'm not an authority.
We use 90 degrees only for cotton bed sheets and towels. For other regular stuff, I’m sticking to 60 degrees. Our older machine has the highest setting at 60 degrees so I often forget that the new machine can wash at 90. I think that 60 is still enough to give a clinically clean rinse to clothes. For dishes, using a program that cleans at 70 degrees. Both these are much better than regular normal water washes.
Any suggestions on this matter by medicos in the forum will be helpful.

Last edited by saket77 : 21st March 2020 at 14:09.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2020, 14:09   #990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My whirlpool washing machine washes from 35 degrees to 55 degrees depending on "warm" "hot" and "allergen free" settings.

And in other news, the ISKCON temple in Juhu ran out of hand sanitizer, so they used gaumutra instead.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...246-2020-03-17
hserus is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks