Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2020, 14:09   #1096
BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

The lockdown announced in Chennai is looking to be fruitless. The roads and city buses are as crowded as it would be on any normal day. When are people going to listen, only after getting affected themselves? We are heading to a situation where before we know there would be millions getting affected. We definitely don't need a section of the population wiped out. It is the people's responsibility to stay safe. If the situation gets out of hand, no government can do anything.

Last edited by jayguar : 23rd March 2020 at 14:20.
jayguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 14:55   #1097
Team-BHP Support

Folks, please DO NOT attempt self-medication based on Google-based (or worse, social-media based) gyaan.

Not only do we NOT know extent and intensity of side effects or potential drug interactions (for people already on other prescription medication) of stuff being touted as potential cures, any complications arising out of irresponsible self-medication may lead to needing healthcare assistance which may not be available at short notice as our facilities get overloaded.

Please consult a specifically qualified and trained medical practitioner through an appropriate channel (avoid visiting in person if possible) and follow their advice if you need medical assistance.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 14:57   #1098
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayguar View Post
The lockdown announced in Chennai is looking to be fruitless. ...
As of yesterday's news (today's newspaper), I'm confused as to whether/what lockdown there is, or isn't. I know trains are affected, including Metro. My wife just came back from her friend (weekend visit) and says most shops are open, no problem booking cab online, but not much traffic.

I'm over sixty, have not been out for a few days, and do not plan to go out until... until when? No idea!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 14:59   #1099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are in stage 3 and community spread is happening as we speak. Can't be lackadaisical. Have my parents staying with me and a pre term 1 year old son who has lesser immunity compared to normal babies. So no complacency at any cost. Economy will bounce back in a few months or years but loved ones once gone won't.
Quote:
Question for doctors: what washing-machine temperature would be considered high enough? I'd say 60, but I'm not an authority.
Quote:
My whirlpool washing machine washes from 35 degrees to 55 degrees depending on "warm" "hot" and "allergen free" settings.
Quote:
When are people going to listen, only after getting affected themselves?
Sadly, a virus or a contagious micro-organism is an invisible enemy. The situation compounds further when majority of the infections are sub-clinical or asymptomatic (healthy looking infected people). We should avoid thinking too much about the factors that are not in our control and instead focus on what all we can do from our side. I have been reading the posts in this thread for the past 7-8 days and would like to share my perspectives here based on some of the posts in this thread.

With the rise in number of cases and it would be appropriate to take extra precautions. It is important to separate the elderly (>60 years old) in our families from the rest of the younger folks. Its just a matter of 15 days to few months depending upon the co-operation of the population and willingness of the Government to order a lockdown on a larger scale (my personal opinion based on recent events around the globe). The two files attached below detail some basic information on home quarantine that can be useful for others as well. The idea is to adopt quarantine level precautions for those at higher risk in routine day to day life, till the number of cases reduce substantially. Quarantine should ideally be for those who are potentially exposed but in view of numerous examples where people have been breaking these protocols, it could be a good idea to quarantine (not as strict as that for an exposed person) the ones that are at risk till the number of cases start declining substantially.

Also consider the following:

1. Masks (especially N95) are not needed as long as people follow respiratory hygiene and not cough or sneeze without covering the face with the elbow or tissue etc.

2. Maintaining a distance of 6 feet while talking should be encouraged.

3. Give your elderly the inner rooms of your homes so that you can move within or out of the house, without having to frequently touch the doors etc. of their rooms. If your parents, grandparents are living at some other place, educate them regarding the importance of social distancing and potential of transmission through surfaces. Also, I am not saying that we should ask them not to leave the room or the house. The activities should be restricted as per individuals' comfort levels. The article cited below is relevant to an airplane but can also be applied to home setting in my personal opinion.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/s...ds-on-a-plane/

4. Disinfect frequently touched (high touch) surfaces in the house. Door knobs, electrical switches are classical examples.

5. Talk to them more often in a safe manner (refer point 1 and 2 above) so that they don't feel 'isolated' while 'separated'.

6. Consider changing shoes and clothes first thing after reaching home from work etc. though there are no specific guidelines regarding this.

7. Washing clothes is sufficient using whatever method you are comfortable with. When washing clothes in a washing machine, one may consider setting higher temperature such as 60 or even 90 degrees for additional safety but this is not mandatory and there is no need to worry if your machine doesn't have this feature or you wash clothes in some other manner including manual washing. The guidelines simply state using the highest temperature that the fabric allows to avoid damage to the garments. Being an enveloped virus, it is labile by nature and is likely to get killed easily using soap/detergent.

Have faith in God. Things will work out fine. We need not panic or fear and instead should carry on with happy and positive mindset.

P.S.- The infection prevention file can simply be read page 40 onward to save time and energy.

Apologies for the long post.

[ATTACH=Infection prevention and control COVID-19.pdf]1983014[/ATTACH]

Home Quarantine Guidelines GoI COVID 19.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Infection prevention and control COVID-19.pdf (3.01 MB, 522 views)
PaddleShifter is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 15:10   #1100
AZT
BHPian

This epidemic has made us also confront the stark income inequality in our country. Most people earning sub 12k a month barely have any savings and will be the worst hit.

Read More: https://theprint.in/india/social-dis...afford/386063/
The Coronavirus Thread-daily-wage.jpg
AZT is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 15:31   #1101
BHPian

Tamil Nadu becomes the latest state to impose complete lockdown until March 31.
Quote:
Tamil Nadu CM Announces Sec 144 From Tuesday | Section 144 will be imposed in Tamil Nadu from 6 pm on Tuesday until March 31, Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami said in the state assembly on Monday. District borders to be shut; barring outlets dealing with essentials, all other establishments to be closed, according to reports.
Source
jayguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 15:32   #1102
BHPian

In Bengaluru the authorities are tightening up the rules.
If any of the stamped people are found wandering around they are going to be arrested on the spot.

That too as a non-bailable offense.

Home Quarantined people to be arrested if found outside.

I think this is the only way out.
Fillmore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 16:10   #1103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Hi Doctor,

Is this drug being administered for critically ill COVID-19 patients, talking specifically about India ? If yes, is it some specific Hospitals or all ?

Or is the Indian medical fraternity waiting for FDA approval (not sure if it already has come ?)
Not being administered everywhere. If you have come across some treatment protocols as whatsapp forwards, remember that even the top of the line premier institutions of our country are still proposing Hydroxychloroquine as a "may be considered" drug in critically ill COVID-19 patients. Same applies to Lopinavir and Ritonavir combination.

See the thing is, there is no evidence based treatment for Sars-Cov2 yet. FDA has definitely NOT approved Hydroxychloroquine for the "treatment" of COVID-19.

I will not disclose much for now, but a word of caution to everyone, you might shortly come across some advisories issued by the health ministry of India which are authentic , but those are NOT to be considered as "substitutes" for precautionary measures like frequent hand washing, social distancing and coughing etiquettes and most importantly, not be considered as "100% TREATMENT"

Keep calm and stay at home.

- Dr. Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 16:21   #1104
BHPian

"WHO considers ‘airborne precautions’ for medical staff after study shows coronavirus can survive in air"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/16/who-...ve-in-air.html

If this is true the we are headed to catastrophe!!!
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 16:27   #1105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
I will not disclose much for now, but a word of caution to everyone, you might shortly come across some advisories issued by the health ministry of India which are authentic , but those are NOT to be considered as "substitutes" for precautionary measures like frequent hand washing, social distancing and coughing etiquettes and most importantly, not be considered as "100% TREATMENT"

- Dr. Vivek
Yeah, just got a copy of that advisory. Talks about using it for healthcare workers at the frontline and such. And it also mentions that it is not a substitute for the main precautionary measures.

Also mentions it is not to be given to kids under 15.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 16:29   #1106
Senior - BHPian

Is there another thread around 'driving' in the time of Coronavirus? Anyway here is my query:
I want to know whether there are restrictions on NH4 (Bangalore to Hubli) even for private cars.
Old 23rd March 2020, 16:34   #1107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
"WHO considers ‘airborne precautions’ for medical staff after study shows coronavirus can survive in air"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/16/who-...ve-in-air.html

If this is true the we are headed to catastrophe!!!
Bit of a click-bait headline. The article clearly mentions they're concerned about specific conditions, not widespread airborne capacity outdoors as yet, studies ongoing.

Quote:
Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, told reporters during a virtual news conference on Monday. “When you do an aerosol-generating procedure like in a medical care facility, you have the possibility to what we call aerosolize these particles, which means they can stay in the air a little bit longer.”

She added: “It’s very important that health-care workers take additional precautions when they’re working on patients and doing those procedures.”
Quote:
Kerkhove said health officials are aware of several studies in a number of countries looking at the different environmental conditions that COVID-19 can persist. Scientists are specifically looking at how humidity, temperature and ultraviolet lighting affects the disease as well as how long it lives on different surfaces, including steel, she said.

Health officials use the information to make sure WHO’s guidance is appropriate, and “so far ... we are confident that the guidance that we have is appropriate,” she added. Health officials recommend medical staff wear so-called N95 masks because they filter out about 95% of all liquid or airborne particles.

“In health-care facilities, we make sure health-care workers use standard droplet precautions with the exception ... that they’re doing an aerosol-generating procedure,” she said
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 16:34   #1108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
... proposing Hydroxychloroquine as a "may be considered" drug in critically ill COVID-19 patients. Same applies to Lopinavir and Ritonavir combination.

See the thing is, there is no evidence...

- Dr. Vivek
Expect janata to buy up all the supplies shortly. Hope you can get the government to block all retail sales immediately, so it goes where needed most.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 16:35   #1109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Is there another thread around 'driving' in the time of Coronavirus? Anyway here is my query:
I want to know whether there are restrictions on NH4 (Bangalore to Hubli) even for private cars.
Off topic -

Refer the Bangalore--Pune--Mumbai thread, a fellow BHPian's friend undertook a drive in his personal car from Bangalore to Bagalkot without any issues. I think Karnataka is not letting vehicles from Maharashtra to enter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Expect janata to buy up all the supplies shortly. Hope you can get the government to block all retail sales immediately, so it goes where needed most.
From the advisory, its clear the Govt has already found a way out to avert this and that was expected. The guys at Govt. are smart too. Let the authority lie with Doctors

- Dr. Vivek

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd March 2020 at 16:41. Reason: Merged
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2020, 16:49   #1110
Team-BHP Support

One of my cousins finishes his 15 days quarantine in Gurgaon today. Is it possible for someone from Delhi to go and pick him up and get him back to Delhi in a private car?

Anyone with first hand experience in crossing Delhi-Gurgaon border today (either side)?

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd March 2020 at 18:16.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks