Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2020, 14:30   #2476
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Appears to be a list of learnings/lessons from a wide range of episodes involving the nCov.

• Dance floors are probably incompatible with social distancing.
  • High-capacity bars and clubs are going to be potential locations of superspreading events.
  • Self-serve buffets probably create an unmanageable amount of viral spread.
  • In closed, small environments, virus transmission can occur throughout a room.
  • Keeping outside ventilation high on buses seems to be a worthwhile goal.
  • Bus drivers should receive protective gear to prevent infection.
  • Singing appears to significantly raise the likelihood of transmission.
  • Churches can be the site of community-changing superspreading events.
  • High-risk activities like singing and buffets may make church gatherings more dangerous.
  • Avoid hugging and sharing food, especially while sick.
  • Constant movement in spacious buildings probably helps prevent exposure to coronavirus droplets.
  • Gyms can quickly spread the coronavirus, especially when instructors become infected.
  • High-intensity workouts may be more dangerous than low-intensity workouts, though that’s unclear.
  • Thanks to high traffic numbers, one mall or large store can infect many people, even though the likelihood of any individual customer being infected is low.
  • The most dangerous method of transmission in an office is spending a long time near an infected person.
  • Using shared facilities like restrooms with an infected person appears to be less dangerous.
  • Spending a short amount of time with an infected person, like on an elevator ride, is not especially dangerous.
  • Jobs with frequent talking, like call centers, do appear to have elevated risk for superspreading.
  • Schools are a significant source of spread for other diseases like influenza, but so far, not the coronavirus. We don’t know why.

Last edited by Miyata : 24th May 2020 at 14:31.
Miyata is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 15:33   #2477
BHPian

There are many myths being circulated through many social platforms. People are being treated as untouchables in many cases in our country. People who are Corona positive may not be affected at all and get Covid-19 for sure. Came across a very good video from SSP-Kathua who is also a doctor. I don't know if it is already shared in this forum. Please watch for meaningful insight into this pandemic.

RahuKetu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 16:35   #2478
BHPian

Why are the news channels focusing on the total number of corona positive cases instead of active cases?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th May 2020 at 14:52. Reason: Grammar.
Raghav96 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 20:23   #2479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Appears to be a list of learnings/lessons from a wide range of episodes involving the nCov.
I'm going to use your list and localize it a bit to make it explicit for our country:
  • Buses
  • Railway coaches, especially AC coaches
  • Aircraft cabins
  • Cabs
  • Tiny hole in the wall shops with no ventilation
  • Large supermarkets where people crowd around certain areas like the fresh produce section
The greatest risk is to the staff who continuously occupy these enclosed spaces. People who come in are mostly careless and either feel they don't need a mask, or tend to pull them down to speak. Just as we don't go around lecturing people about traffic rules, even sensible people give up trying to persuade such people about the importance of masks. Such potential risks will be quietly ignored, after all no one did much for the safety of medical staff at the frontlines.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 21:18   #2480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Today's TOI carries the following report about the case referred to in the quoted post.
Any test has a certain accuracy rate. Are you sure it was an error in the procedure or a mere "false positive"?

This is also why I am not a fan of random testing. Should be limited to those who show symptons or have known contacts with an infected person where the incidence of disease is high.

The chance of a false positive is just too high when the incidence of the disease is low.
anandhsub is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 23:19   #2481
Distinguished - BHPian

It's not very positive, but...

Why we might not get a coronavirus vaccine

Some people understand this anyway. Many others, unfortunately, think that all we need to do is put in an order to the labs. A sobering thought from this article: "The fastest vaccine ever developed was for mumps. It took four years."
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 12:20   #2482
Senior - BHPian

As the summer temperatures rise across the country, India enters the Top 10 list and well on course to cross 2-lakh mark by this month end. USA will hit 1-lakh death count today.

The Coronavirus Thread-100508672_10158286367495270_9111872168999780352_n.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav96 View Post
Why the news channels are focusing on the total number of corona positive cases instead of active cases?
More than the total or active cases, the important metric is daily cases which require medical attention and healthcare facility. This number must not across the current capacity, otherwise we will have to turn away those who require medical help.
msdivy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 14:09   #2483
Senior - BHPian

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/coro...=home-bigstory

I dont understand why the Government has been in such a tearing hurry to start commercial flights. The Minister for aviation discussed this barely a week ago, and now airports are starting to handle dozens of flights !! No wonder there are cancellations and chaos. Wanted to use a particularly nasty word from the John Travolta movie, Broken Arrow, but would desist considering the dignity of the forum.:-)
But anyhow, could the authorities not have carried out just a trial of flights , say a dozen or so for the first week, just so that the SOPs are understood by every stakeholder?
And the government also earned a rap from SC on middle-seat occupancy.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 25th May 2020 at 14:13.
fhdowntheline is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 14:48   #2484
BHPian

Some things may not match up here but the Covid-19 aspect of the below algorithm is nearly spot on. Kudos to whoever created this, surely a lot of rational thought has been put into.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200525144207.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 16:22   #2485
Distinguished - BHPian

Pedants'R'us picky-picky: that isn't an "algorithm." An algorithm is about doing, how to do, rules of doing, not display of iniformation. Of course, they also may have flow charts.

But seriously: All these "risk is same as this existing risk" calculations are about doubling a risk.

It's all about the spin. The headline can say "Risk Doubled!" You can say that 0.11% doubled to 0.22% is hardly much of an increase. True! But 2.5% (assuming I ever fly, which is now unlikely ) doubled to 5% is a bit more serious, and 7% doubled to 14% is decidedly noticeable.

But then, I never won any lottery, so... maybe I'll never die!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 19:07   #2486
MSC
BHPian

Hello all.
I am due to receive my Hyundai Venue somewhere around 28 or 29 May. I had booked it in February but due to long waiting for BS6 model and then due to lockdown the delivery has been delayed by almost 2 months.
Just read on some news portal that 3 employees in Hyundai plant have been found positive for Corona and somewhere around 14-16 people have been asked to remain in quarantine till tests find these people safe.
Now according to my Sales Advisor, the car was among the first batch which were produced after the Chennai plant reopened for work on 5 May. And the car was dispatched on 20 May, is there any possibility that car may have infection from affected person?
There is practically zero chance to know about exact information. I am being paranoid but when safety of loved ones is concerned, I don't want to take even 0.001% risk.
If I am not wrong, corona doesn't has lifespan more than 5 or 6 days on various articles, so literally there is very remote chance of car being infected.
Also, dealer has assured that they will sanitize car inside out, before delivery.
Again I have doubt. The sodium hypochlorite used for sanitation is some form of bleach if I am not wrong. Will spraying car with bleach be safe? I hope it won't damage body paint or other things.
Can knowledgeable people please guide.
Old 25th May 2020, 21:25   #2487
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
Also, dealer has assured that they will sanitize car inside out, before delivery.
Again I have doubt. The sodium hypochlorite used for sanitation is some form of bleach if I am not wrong. Will spraying car with bleach be safe? I hope it won't damage body paint or other things.
Can knowledgeable people please guide.
I am not sure what the dealer might do for sanitization. Most OEMs have provided detailed instructions how to handle cars before delivery and irrespective of the situation at the factory they would have to do it to prevent possible spread from dealer employees to you. If you are really skeptical about stuff then instead of spraying bleach, get the chaps at the dealership some Isopropyl Alcohol and tell them to wipe all contact points with slightly dilute IPA(60-70%) and more dilute IPA(25-30%) on the exterior or non contact panels before whatever polishing routine they have. This should sort your worries out. However I am not an expert in the dilution part since I have just read some stuff about 70% IPA being able to kill COVID. But experts or those who have concrete info on this can comment.
We got our car delivered on May 7th and the dealer had their own sanitization routine where they used some solution based out of IPA to wipe it down.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 23:04   #2488
BHPian

How about leaving the car unattended in their yard for about a week or two, and then you going straight to the yard and driving away in your new car? You may miss the ceremonies and the photos, but I am sure that it won't bother you after a few days.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 23:11   #2489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
Now according to my Sales Advisor, the car was among the first batch which were produced after the Chennai plant reopened for work on 5 May. And the car was dispatched on 20 May, is there any possibility that car may have infection from affected person?
There is practically zero chance to know about exact information. I am being paranoid but when safety of loved ones is concerned, I don't want to take even 0.001% risk.
As you have mentioned, the virus doesn't last long outside a host. So even if a covid positive factory worker worked on your car, the virus would have 'died' by now. What I am more worried about is the sanitization being done by the dealerships. How effective are they? What if the person doing it is covid positive? If you don't want to take that risk as well, let them do their sanitization process. Wait a couple of days and then go pick up the car, making sure only you get in.
GeneralJazz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th May 2020, 11:23   #2490
AZT
BHPian

New clinical trials being started and others not working being stopped

India's Glenmark to study potential COVID-19 drug combination

Quote:
Glenmark Pharmaceuticals Ltd said on Tuesday it will begin a new clinical trial in India to test a combination of two anti-viral drugs - favipiravir and umifenovir - as a potential COVID-19 treatment. The study will look to enroll 158 hospitalized patients of moderate COVID-19 in India, the company added.
Read More: https://in.reuters.com/article/healt...-idINKBN2320IO

WHO to pause hydroxychloroquine trial on safety concerns
Quote:
The World Health Organization on Monday said that it will temporarily pause the hydroxychloroquine arm of its Solidarity Trial of drugs against covid-19 after an observational study in The Lancet journal estimated higher mortality rate among patients given the medicine. “The Executive Group of the Solidarity Trial, representing 10 of the participating countries, met on Saturday and has agreed to review a comprehensive analysis and critical appraisal of all evidence available globally," WHO director general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in his opening remarks at a press conference.
“The Executive Group has implemented a temporary pause of the hydroxychloroquine arm within the Solidarity Trial while the safety data is reviewed by the Data Safety Monitoring Board."
Read More: https://www.livemint.com/news/india/...425789702.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks