Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2020, 12:20   #2626
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Have just bought one about a week ago.
Could you share which one you purchased and whether you are satisfied with it? I need to buy one too.
Old 14th June 2020, 13:11   #2627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMandarin View Post
The message mentions 43 to be the oxygen saturation value when a person needs a cylinder.
Based on what i know, this is way below acceptable levels. Even something lower than 80 is extremely alarming for an otherwise normal individual.
Quote:
If this is referring to the finger-clip-on pulse oximeter, 43 is a nonsense: I think the person would have been dead for two days!
I have seen two useful pieces of advice about these things. First is, below 95 see a doctor and below 90 go to hospital. However I have also read that it is necessary to use the device regularly to find one's own baseline.
Thanks for the replies. I searched the internet for more information about this and found this:
The Coronavirus Thread-annotation-20200614-125647.jpg
Source:
https://www.cablesandsensors.com/pag...uration-levels

Quote:
Pro Tip: Many Samsung devices have an inbuilt oxymeter which has good accuracy. It can be used for a quick reference or as a way to validate results from a dedicated pulse oxymeter.
Nice tip! But to be followed with caution.
A Smartphone achieves this using a 'method' called 'Oximetry' using a 'series of sensors'. But since this is not the intended use of sensors, the results may not always be trust worthy. Fitness trackers like fitbit, garmin etc are a little more trustworthy, but they are not completely accurate too.

Few excerpts from a quick search on the internet:
Quote:
On Reddit, some people fighting off COVID-19 say they’re using a health feature on some Samsung phone models to check their oxygen levels. Others say they’re using pulse oximetry features on smartwatches.
That concerns doctors. Despite their accessibility, research shows pulse oximetry apps don’t accurately measure blood oxygen levels, especially when they’re low. And relying on apps could be dangerous, says Walter Schrading
Quote:
Apps don’t work well because most use a different mechanism to test blood oxygen levels than standard, medical pulse oximetry devices. The devices send two different wavelengths of light — usually red and infrared — through a fingertip, where there’s lots of blood close to the surface of the skin. Hemoglobin, the protein that carries oxygen in blood, absorbs more infrared light when it’s carrying oxygen and more red light when it’s not. The device calculates the difference to determine how much oxygen is circulating.
Smartphones usually only have white light, so they’re not able to get as accurate a reading. Samsung phones have a red light function, the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine said, but they only use one wavelength and would likely be unreliable as well.
In addition, standard pulse oximetry devices send light wavelengths through the finger and read the results from a sensor on the other side. Smartphones send and capture the light from the same spot — they rely on the reflection of the wavelengths. That method tends to be less accurate and can be skewed by light from the environment.
Quote:
Some models of Fitbit and Garmin smartwatches also have pulse oximetry features. Fitbit can track oxygen level trends during sleep, and Garmin can give on-the-spot readings. Their watches do use red light, but they use the less-accurate reflective method. They also take readings from blood flow at the wrist — which isn’t as strong as it is at the finger. Both companies note on their websites that their devices should not be used for medical purposes.
Sources:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/4/23/2...armin-oximeter
https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/questi...ers-answer-no/

Quote:
Why not go direct to a reputed source: do not play guessing games with whatsapp forewards!
Quote:
Doctors can advise further but dont trust these messages blindly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I always double-check anything that even seems remotely plausible from WhatsApp University. - being the Dr. Skeptic that I am!
Sorry if my post was misleading. I was just trying to get the info verified. (That’s why I ‘asked for comments’, rather than sharing it for you all to consider. In addition to verifying this info on the internet, I wanted to take support of TeamBHP. It’s just that I prefer to get my questions answered by a Human than a bot.

I usually don’t care about any info that I come across in ANY social media platform. But this time, this message was dropped in a whatsapp ‘group’. Fearing the reach of wrong info in a group, and risk of following wrong methods, I wanted to verify it and stop the message here itself if the info is misleading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
…All because some genius decided he is a doctor and to share his gyan with his friends on Whatsapp.
This is exactly what happened here.
I can understand your anger. False information could be very dangerous. In this era of information overload, there's too much information and there are too many versions of it.
I’m very particular about the source and authenticity of information. I dont give a damn care to the 'gyan' from the social media. If the topic of any message seems interesting, I only take the topic and search for more on the internet, BUT I don’t trust the content in the message/post in social media. I strongly advice the same to everyone around me.

Last edited by GTO : 15th June 2020 at 08:30. Reason: Removing separator lines which were breaking the page layout
Mr.Bentley is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 14:40   #2628
Distinguished - BHPian

It was decided, early in the thread, not to keep unattributed social-media forwards, but to stick to attributed known and reputable sources. An exception would be a specific question which might trouble us, but not reproducing the entire thing. This is a matter for the mods. And, anyway, we all make mistakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Any links to get this online? I think this should be a good check in addition to temperature, in these times.
No links. General information gathered from reputable online sources including our own medical brothers here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Could you share which one you purchased and whether you are satisfied with it? I need to buy one too.
Quote:
Here's the one I got:
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00TCIFFIS

Choicemmed Pulse Oximeter MD300C20-NMR - by Omron
I think Choicemed is not the same as Omron. But anyway, I got the same one. I am not qualified to make a further judgment! But it seems fine.

I think some diagnosis might be made by interpretation of the pulse graph displayed. Again, I notice that my wife's is good and strong, with pronounced peaks, whereas mine is less so. I think that an irregular pulse would be a matter for medical attention.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th June 2020 at 14:47.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 16:39   #2629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here's the one I got:
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00TCIFFIS

Choicemmed Pulse Oximeter MD300C20-NMR - by Omron
Quote:
I think Choicemed is not the same as Omron. But anyway, I got the same one. I am not qualified to make a further judgment! But it seems fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Thank you, but appears to be unavailable at the moment. Most popular ones available are from Dr Trust (?) going for 4-5k right now.

Given that some phones also carry this, I am thinking there shouldn't be much to goof up between different brands. Happy to be corrected if that's not the case.

This anyway is useful as a sign, an indication to get medical attention.
Old 14th June 2020, 19:23   #2630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Thank you, but appears to be unavailable at the moment...

This anyway is useful as a sign, an indication to get medical attention.
I checked the Samsung Health (stress) measure against the oximeter and it gave me the same reading or differed by 1%, so I guess the phone app should suffice.

I just bought the cheapest oximeter with the maximum rating at the time, so I don't know about the other brands. Like you say, it may not be too hard to manufacture a decent product.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 10:26   #2631
BHPian

Re: Travel during Coronavirus

Hi experts

For 3 months, wife is stuck in Bangalore while I am handling the kids. Time to get the family back together. I have two options - flight, which I don't prefer because of air-conditioning and virus risk, and drive.

I have driven the usual CCU-BLR route at least 10 times, in my Innova and then my Pajero. However, now it appears that AP is not allowing visitors in.

Is this true?

If not true - how is the route experience right now? What passes are needed, how is border control, any other corona-related problems to be expected?

If true, ie, if AP route is not possible, what are the route options? I considered two. One, the Bhubaneswar - Hyderabad route bypassing AP (2100 kms), and two, the CCU-Nagpur-HYderabad-BLR route (2300 kms).

How safe are these routes? is there Naxal trouble in either route? How is route condition? What passes are needed, if any?

NB - I will not stay in hotels or eat at restaurants. I will self-cook. I will overnight in the car itself at petrol pumps- I will carry portable folding cots. I have done this before during BLR-Himalaya trips, so I know it is strenuous, but doable.

Also note, I will travel with a 70 year old person, a lady, and two small kids. Again, I have done this before, but these are different times.

Any advise appreciated.
Old 15th June 2020, 10:28   #2632
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Spotted at the Panvel McDonalds (was there for drive-through coffee):
The Coronavirus Thread-20200614-08.57.11.jpg
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 11:41   #2633
BANNED

https://www.rediff.com/news/intervie...n/20200615.htm
Old 15th June 2020, 12:18   #2634
BHPian

Now another study conduced by a group constituted and funded by ICMR says:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/india-to-see-
covid-19-peak-by-mid-nov-icmr-funded-study/articleshow/76377374.cms

Peak stage of Covid-19 pandemic in India likely to hit its highest point only around mid-November. According to the study, the lockdown shifted the peak of the pandemic - and smoothened the Covid-19 curve - by an estimated 34 to 76 days which helped bring down the number of infections by 69-97%. This allowed time for the healthcare system to ramp up resources and infrastructure.

If true, it means, we will see a increase in number of patients every day, every week till November. Looks like we might reach near to US numbers. We might see use of train coaches which were converted into isolation wards.
Be safe guys.

Last edited by INJAXN : 15th June 2020 at 12:25.
Old 15th June 2020, 14:45   #2635
Distinguished - BHPian

Not to contradict anyone, I would like to make a few points . As I said earlier, no one knows how this virus will be affecting us in times to come. We all should fight this invisible enemy individually as well as collectively. Almost all studies or graphs shared are an extrapolation of few maths / epidemiological maps and data. The said study funded by ICMR is actually NOT funded by ICMR. The earlier peak that was supposed to happen in May was extended to June by some other studies and now it's July-August in some and November in this one. Remember, cases will grow, and so would the recovery. People are recovering. It's not that everyone getting infected is facing life threatening complications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
Now another study conduced by a group constituted and funded by ICMR says:
Tweet by ICMR informing the same.

Link to Tweet by Press Information Bureau.

The Coronavirus Thread-20200615_143242.jpg

My request to everyone here is, practise safe physical distancing, follow proper hand and face hygiene, use masks, avoid unnecessary gathering and above all, take care of elders in your house and neighborhood..
BoneCollector is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 16:35   #2636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJAXN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The said study funded by ICMR is actually NOT funded by ICMR.
Not funded. But did it have an ICMR connection?

There was also this
https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/he...le31776526.ece

Truly an infodemic!

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 18:04   #2637
BHPian

Tweet by ICMR informing the same.

My Bad here, Should have verified. Thanks for pointing out.
I did verify actually, and the news was there on couple of news papers, cannot trust any news I guess, these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Not funded. But did it have an ICMR connection?
This is what the article said:
The study is not peer reviewed and was conducted by researchers from an Operations Research Group constituted by ICMR.

I think because of this ICMR is giving clarifications as pointed in post above.
Old 15th June 2020, 18:34   #2638
Senior - BHPian

^^^
My comment was for BC and the PIB factcheck!

Ever since the Trump election, there have been articles on how not to (unknowingly) spread disinformation. Here's one of the more recent ones.

Sutripta
Old 15th June 2020, 19:17   #2639
BHPian

My father finally tested negative today after testing positive on 1st June. Thankfully he was one of those mild patients as i shudder to think how we would have coped if we had to go to hospital.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th June 2020, 19:20   #2640
Senior - BHPian

Heard from my Italian colleague that finally Italy has transitioned to allow people move outside without masks!
vibbs is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks