Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2020, 04:37   #2656
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
I will take this article with pinch of salt unless strong evidence in support comes from multiple independent trails.
The article is just an article. If you can access something closer to the source it might be interesting.
Old 17th June 2020, 08:04   #2657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Interestingly, everyone else seems to be saying that masks help cut virus transmission significantly:
I wish our government would ensure everyone wears masks before any of the other measures. I don't know if this will be taken up seriously as it may not have those career benefits like locking down cities.
Yup. I must say I was surprised when I heard this at first, specially as I could not find any online news regarding this. It seems, Italy feels they have it under control now finally.

The public is still required to carry Masks and use it whenever it is not possible to maintain a distancing of 1.5 meters, like a crowded walkway etc.

Note: I am merely sharing the news. I do not endorse or condone this move. Its up to experts to come up with justification or criticism. I am not one. I hope and expect when we reach this step in India our experts would have thought through as well.

Coming to Singapore, where I stay, we are close to phase 2 of opening up. Parks, Malls, Beaches etc will be opened up. Wearing masks will still be mandatory in public places. Work from home to continue for all those who can perform their jobs at home.

Last edited by vb-saan : 17th June 2020 at 08:46. Reason: a small typo
vibbs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 08:15   #2658
BHPian

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/co...ter-diagnosis/

This is not encouraging at all. Two months is too short a period for vaccines to work. Plus people will get the infection multiple times a year, just like with normal corona. Hoping that it’s at least two months.
Old 17th June 2020, 08:26   #2659
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree View Post
Well UK was smart. They built up a stockpile, before releasing the data.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And unlike the other drugs which are in and out of the world news like season-sensitive fashion, did anyone hear of this one before?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
I think a number of steroids (used for treating arthritis) were being tested.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
Dexamethasone, the drug claimed by UK to have shown good results is a steroid which is commonly used by doctors even in India and its even more commonly (ab)used by "quacks" of all kinds even in towns and villages of India. So availablity will not be a problem at all.
'Dex' has been very well known in mountaineering for decades. It's a steroid that high altitude mountaineers carry in injectable form. If they get into respiratory trouble, it can be used in an emergency to mitigate the symptoms of high-altitude sickness and allow the climber to descend. BUT like most steroids, it is not a 'cure'. The effects are temporary and meant to aid the person till the time they can seek proper medical assistance.

Obviously, it will take an experienced doctor to judge when to use it and how to use it to treat serious covid-19 cases.

So, yes it is certainly good news, but very conditional and preliminary I think. Which I'm sure the study will be careful to state.

But the media needs a headline and what could be potentially risky is some quacks starting to 'prescribe Dex' as a cure or preventive for covid.

Last edited by am1m : 17th June 2020 at 08:27.
am1m is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 12:20   #2660
AZT
BHPian

Dr Sanjay Oak, the Maharashtra Covid task force chief has called on the Chief Minister to unclog the distribution of Remdesivir.
What was surprising was the ages of the patients mentioned in the article. Not sure if these are outliers or more younger people have started showing symptoms.

Quote:
Male, 40, Lower Parel resident, admitted in KEM Hospital, on ventilator in ICU

Dr Hemant Deshmukh, dean of KEM, said almost 50 per cent of Covid-19 patients in the hospital are critical and need Remdesivir. “We have many young patients below 45 years who need the medication,” he said.

Male, 44, Walkeshwar resident, admitted in Bhatia Hospital, on non-invasive ventilator

Dr Jeenam Shah, pulmonologist, who is treating the patient, told Mirror: “We have tried all combinations of drugs but his condition is not improving. Before his condition worsens further we want to administer him Remdesivir. We are trying to get the medicine on compassionate grounds.”

Male, 22, resident of Parel, admitted in KEM, currently on high oxygen support

“This 22-year-old doesn’t have any co-morbid conditions. He came to the hospital very late with breathing difficulties, his lungs are affected, he need Remdesivir on an urgent basis. We have seen cases where patients’ condition improved after administrating this drugs,” said a senior doctor.

Male, 26, resident of Worli, admitted in KEM, on oxygen support

“Vials of Remdesivir are currently available on compassionate grounds. VIPs are able to get the medicine through their contacts, but those admitted in BMC-run hospitals are suffering. Why can’t the vials be available to all on emergency basis?” said another senior doctor on condition of anonymity.
Source : https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/...w/76415372.cms

Last edited by AZT : 17th June 2020 at 12:23.
AZT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 12:46   #2661
Senior - BHPian

Am not sure if this has been discussed already. Any tips on cleaning N95 mask? It has this plastic small round case kind of thing on the outer part. Bought a couple of them for 270 each. So was hoping I can reuse them a few times. Pharmacy guy said water wash is fine, neighbour says he uses santizer to clean it. Am confused on what can be the correct way.

Appreciate some tips.

Last edited by SoumenD : 19th June 2020 at 12:47.
Old 19th June 2020, 14:48   #2662
Senior - BHPian

I have a question.

USA has almost flattened the curve.

Italy, UK, France, Germany, Belgium,Netherlands etc - all the hotspots of Europe have finally began to show steep decline and life is returning to normal.

Srilanka has flattened the curve.

Bhutan has flattened the curve.

What can India learn from these nations ? What have these nations done that India is not doing to curb the spread ? Why even after 4 months India is still exponentially rising in terms of new cases ?

Last edited by DCEite : 19th June 2020 at 14:50.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 14:56   #2663
Team-BHP Support

A potential antibody treatment for COVID-19 from Singapore's DSO National Laboratories might be just a few months away from human trials. The country's largest defence R&D organisation said it has discovered five antibodies that could potentially neutralise the virus that causes COVID-19. Video link below:

vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th June 2020, 15:05   #2664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Am not sure if this has been discussed already. Any tips on cleaning N95 mask? It has this plastic small round case kind of thing on the outer part. Bought a couple of them for 270 each. So was hoping I can reuse them a few times. Pharmacy guy said water wash is fine, neighbour says he uses santizer to clean it. Am confused on what can be the correct way.

Appreciate some tips.
Rs 270?. I don't know about these sophisticated products but the cheap green ones that are supposed to be disposable can be reused by baking them at 70 degrees Celsius for 30 minutes. This damages them the least and they remain close to their N95 filtration efficiency. If you search this thread, you will find a link to a YouTube video and a document with the details.
Old 19th June 2020, 15:52   #2665
BHPian

Quote:
Am not sure if this has been discussed already. Any tips on cleaning N95 mask? ...

Appreciate some tips.
https://news.stonybrook.edu/sb_medic...ect-n95-masks/

About the Protocol

Healthcare providers place a used 3M respirator mask in a paper bag labeled with their name and work location before delivery to the processing center. The bags containing the masks are then sealed with heat indicator tape before they are placed in the oven. Following treatment for 30 minutes at 100˚C (212˚F), the same bags can then be returned to the clinical care providers.
proton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 09:54   #2666
BHPian

Quote:
was hoping I can reuse them a few times.
Some inputs on this page - https://www.sages.org/n-95-re-use-instructions/

Quote:
Re-use
Because coronaviruses lose their viability significantly after 72 hours, many organizations have promoted a rotation and re-use strategy. Assuming there is no soiling and minimal to no viral contamination to the mask, the CDC suggests that masks can be re-used up to 5 times

Acquire a set number of N95 masks (at least 5 per the CDC), and rotate their use each day, allowing them to dry for long enough that the virus is no longer viable (> 72 hours). Proper storage for this technique requires either hanging the respirators to dry, or keeping them in a clean, breathable container like a paper bag between uses.
This re-use / rotation is what I do. Since my going out is very limited (to occasional grocery), time spent on the mask is actually quite less.

Quote:
The above link also talks about other procedures - Hydrogen Peroxide Vaporization; UV treatment; Moist Heat; and Dry Heat
Be cautious with these procedures though. Consider also presence of those plastic materials on the mask (respirator valves) and if there is any specific recommendations for them.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 10:37   #2667
BHPian

FAKE WHATSAPP VIDEO ALERT

A new video from Italy has been doing rounds on whataspp with many alarming claims such as COVID-19 is caused by a bacteria and Italian doctors have finally found a cure i.e Aspirin, antibiotics etc and that the WHO in collusion with China has lied and misled the governments of various countries and what not.

Long story short, this is entirely false. The fake-mongers have based their theory on prothrombotic state of covid-19 which is otherwise true but the entire video is created with fabricated claims. Don't fall for it and forward.
vivek95 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 11:47   #2668
BHPian

Hope this is a viable idea and is mass produced in the future. Can't imagine the amount of environmental damage it will do if we continue to use disposable masks for the foreseeable future.

JithinR is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 12:03   #2669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
FAKE WHATSAPP VIDEO ALERT

A new video from Italy has been doing rounds on whataspp with many alarming claims such as COVID-19 is caused by a bacteria and Italian doctors have finally found a cure i.e Aspirin, antibiotics etc and that the WHO in collusion with China has lied and misled the governments of various countries and what not.

Long story short, this is entirely false. The fake-mongers have based their theory on prothrombotic state of covid-19 which is otherwise true but the entire video is created with fabricated claims. Don't fall for it and forward.
Thanks doc! A self awarded PhD in skepticism is no match for real medical doctor's words. I replied again to the WhatsApp message with real ammunition citing your credentials.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 12:13   #2670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
... discovered five antibodies that could potentially neutralise the virus that causes COVID-19...
How long to mass production of the antibodies if found effective? Can facilities used for manufacturing other such antibodies be used? Just questions that the video did not answer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks