Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2020, 11:30   #2791
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Guys what kinds of masks (we do have these at home bought from chemist shop) can we buy for better protection? Any branded re-usable/washable masks bought by member, kindly refer a good quality mask.

Thanks.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 11:31   #2792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Government approves use of dexamethasone.

Source
Not sure what to make of this news. Doctors were using this for sometime now.

My mother got admitted in a Pune hospital on 18th june with Covid positive. She was given dexamethasone and hydroxychloroquine for 4-5 days.

She has recovered and got discharged in 6 days.
shashant is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 12:39   #2793
BHPian

How to decontaminate a reusable N95 mask in just 3 minutes.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90521484...just-3-minutes

TLDR : Mask suspended over a glass container with water & steamed for three minutes in a standard 1,110-watt microwave.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-i290521484howtodecontaminateann95maskinthreeminutes.jpg  

ritz3645 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 12:40   #2794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys what kinds of masks (we do have these at home bought from chemist shop) can we buy for better protection? Any branded re-usable/washable masks bought by member, kindly refer a good quality mask.
There seems to be no clarity nor regulation regarding masks. It's just a strip of cloth from various brands making headway. I am using masks avaliable from medical store.

Interestingly there is an election coming up in Karnataka, the local candidate was sly enough to print his name on the cloth mask and distribute it free of cost. Different time need different strategy, but folks dotting whites are ahead of the curve in making hay while the sun shines
doxinboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 13:05   #2795
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/...and-face-masks

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th June 2020 at 15:57. Reason: Quote fixed + please expand your post/post an excerpt instead of merely copy-pasting URLs. Thanks.
Old 28th June 2020, 13:32   #2796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
How to decontaminate a reusable N95 mask in just 3 minutes.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90521484...just-3-minutes

TLDR : Mask suspended over a glass container with water & steamed for three minutes in a standard 1,110-watt microwave.

Is that nose clip in picture a metal peice or plastic?
If its metal, then this method won't work.
Can't put metal in microwave.
rjainv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 13:43   #2797
BHPian

Quote:
Guys what kinds of masks .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
How to decontaminate a reusable N95 mask in just 3 minutes..

I see a metal clip - did it create sparks or damage the microwave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
There seems to be no clarity nor regulation regarding masks.
I hope you understand that these masks are mostly meant to protect the other person from the infective particles that you exhale, rather than actually keep out the virus when you inhale.
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 14:09   #2798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post

I hope you understand that these masks are mostly meant to protect the other person from the infective particles that you exhale, rather than actually keep out the virus when you inhale.
Cloth masks worn by general public are meant to protect OTHERS from a coronavirus patient as you rightly pointed out.

Respirators including N95 worn by HCW are meant to protect the person ( read: Person wearing the mask) from the patient. It’s true that nobody Including WHO has yet recommended that general public to wear N95. But that could also be due to lack of availability. It’s difficult to get good quality N95 in a hospital setting as it is. But if someone wants to be extra careful, I don’t think it will be a mistake to wear a N95.

Last edited by Sree : 28th June 2020 at 14:10.
Sree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 14:46   #2799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
Is .
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I see a
Am surprised if no one has accidentally put metal in microwave & found it works.

More information.

Yes, You Can Microwave Metal

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/foo...crowave-metal/
ritz3645 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 14:48   #2800
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
After going through a lot of models, I finally settled with the Wildcraft Supermask W95, reason being the 6 layer protection as advertised by the company and also the wash-ability up to 30 washes. It is advertised as a respirator mask.

The mask pulsates on breathing, indicating the seal on the face, of course you have to be cleanly shaved for attaining the air tight seal. The moist feeling that develops in most masks is not there in this mask.

The negatives are that : the company has used strong metal for a nose clip. It often feels like you will break the bridge of your nose when trying to adjust it. Also since the thing is latched on to your ears, they hurt a lot. Have to try using them with ear savers. Also your spectacles will sit high over the nose clip. It says nothing about Virus filtration.

Size : It comes in 3 sizes small, medium and large. I found Large suitable for me (5'.8" , 65Kg), regardless of the size chart which advises for medium.

Name:  technicalspecificationsw95supermask.png
Views: 861
Size:  51.1 KB

Name:  hypashieldcartridge.png
Views: 851
Size:  72.4 KB

Bottom line : I am in no way related to Wildcraft.
Image courtesy :https://wildcraft.com/ppg/masks

Last edited by adrian : 28th June 2020 at 14:57.
adrian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 15:04   #2801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
After going through a lot of models, I finally settled with the Wildcraft Supermask W95, reason being the 6 layer protection as advertised by the company and also the wash-ability up to 30 washes. It is advertised as a respirator mask.

Bottom line : I am in no way related to Wildcraft.
Image courtesy :https://wildcraft.com/ppg/masks
I have been using the same mask and quite agree with your pros and cons. However, my biggest issue with this mask is trouble in breathing while walking in a park or climbing stairs etc. That's why now j have switched to a N95 mask which is quite comfortable in all aspects.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 15:34   #2802
BHPian

Sharing the list of the top 12 leading vaccine candidates that are in different developmental stages for Covid-19 across the globe. 2 are from UK, 4 from USA, 2 from Germany and 4 from China. The leading Oxford--AstraZeneca UK is also working in collaboration with Serum Institute of India, Pune.

Info courtesy - Indian Express
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200628151035__01.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 15:48   #2803
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks.
When buying masks online look for NOISH standard and SITRA certified.
Sree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 17:43   #2804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I have been using the same mask and quite agree with your pros and cons. However, my biggest issue with this mask is trouble in breathing while walking in a park or climbing stairs etc. That's why now j have switched to a N95 mask which is quite comfortable in all aspects.
Can you share which one you switched to and where did you buy it from?
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 18:51   #2805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
There’s a IIT Delhi startup called nanosafe solutions that has launched reusable antiviral masks.

https://nanosafesolutions.com/

I am using their masks and i find them to be more comfortable to use than wild craft mesh masks. Nanosafe is claiming that the mask can be washed and used up to 50 times.

Disclaimer: not involved with this company in any way

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks