Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2020, 11:28   #2881
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
This CDC document gives a decent outlook on the way the virus spreads.
I should have mentioned the source of the document - this document has the guidance from the NGO- shomman.org. The material and the assessment is very close to the CDC guidance given in atleast 40 to 50 documents that explains the spread of COVID viruses. Except for the Virus particle(It might be right but I have not read about those numbers) the information is right about the risky activities.
aadya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 11:45   #2882
Senior - BHPian

^^^ (mvadg)
The basic charge is against (some of) the commercial peddlers of Ayurvedic medicine (who make use of laxer loopholes), rather than against the medicine system itself. Some of those charges are pretty serious.

On the other hand, what do you think of the vaccine (allopathy) by 15th Aug thing?

Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 4th July 2020 at 11:54.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 13:09   #2883
Distinguished - BHPian

The grim situation in Bangalore, getting worse each day.

Quote:
Covid-19 patient dies on road in Bengaluru, body lies unattended for hours
Quote:
tested positive for coronavirus and immediately called an ambulance to reach a hospital. However, according to his family members, as he waited for the ambulance for nearly three hours, he collapsed on the road in front of his house complaining of breathlessness and died.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 4th July 2020 at 13:11.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 13:29   #2884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^ (mvadg)
The basic charge is against (some of) the commercial peddlers of Ayurvedic medicine (who make use of laxer loopholes), rather than against the medicine system itself. Some of those charges are pretty serious.

On the other hand, what do you think of the vaccine (allopathy) by 15th Aug thing?

Sutripta
Agree completely with your comments on Ayurveda and the commercial entities.

Equally skeptical about "turbo" vaccine development! I don't know how they are going to pull it off! Maybe some top guys think they can speed up the development by pressuring researchers; it is possible they are under the impression that researchers are like our judiciary - a leisurely vacation every now and then and unconcerned about pending cases! Sorry, I think my unpatriotism is showing.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 14:05   #2885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post

Equally skeptical about "turbo" vaccine development! I don't know how they are going to pull it off!
Headline management?

Actual question is is it going to follow all the rigorous testing/ production/ documentation regimen which we say allopathic formulations follow and Ayurvedic ones don't?

Sutripta
Old 4th July 2020, 14:23   #2886
AZT
BHPian

Good article I came across

Most People With Coronavirus Won’t Spread It. Why Do a Few Infect Many?

Quote:
Growing evidence shows most infected people aren’t spreading the virus. But whether you become a superspreader probably depends more on circumstance than biology.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 17:27   #2887
BHPian

Quote:

Sutripta
Don't know if the top guys are crazy or are they knowingly giving such false statements to keep people positive, give them some hope or whatever.

The whole vaccine by 15th August claim reminds me of Warren Buffett's quote,
"No matter how great the talent or efforts, some things just take time. You can't produce a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant."
TROOPER is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 19:59   #2888
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The whole vaccine by 15th August claim reminds me of Warren Buffett's quote, "No matter how great the talent or efforts, some things just take time. You can't produce a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant."
Marketing thinking. They sell the product before asking the techies if it is possible to deliver. If it takes an hour to bake a cake, it's no good telling the baker they promised to deliver in 15 minutes: it just won't happen.

I recall from an article I quoted some time back that the quickest-ever-to-public vaccine took four years. Mumps, iirc.

These are desperate times. Perhaps corners have to be cut? Perhaps, if we opt for vaccination in the next year or so, we have to accept that we are still part of the experiment?

And imagine if a hurried-through vaccine goes wrong. That could be as big a disaster as the virus itself. And it would provide material with which to arm the anti-vaxxers, and the whole progress of immunisation against so many diseases could take a huge hit.

Western-pharma's mistakes: thalidomide, for instance. This is why there have to be long-period tests.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 20:23   #2889
PGA
BHPian

https://www.news18.com/amp/news/indi...s-2700529.html

Just read this story, I felt very sorry for the young doc but cannot make much sense as to why it happened. Is it that this desease is just beyond the capacity of certain individuals and doesn't even give them a fighting chance or it's a case of gross miscalculation. Would request Doc Vivek to shed some light on this.
PGA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 09:24   #2890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

And imagine if a hurried-through vaccine goes wrong. That could be as big a disaster as the virus itself. And it would provide material with which to arm the anti-vaxxers, and the whole progress of immunisation against so many diseases could take a huge hit.

Western-pharma's mistakes: thalidomide, for instance. This is why there have to be long-period tests.
Check the history of the polio vaccine before Salk.

I for one would become a limited time Anti Vaxxer when it comes to Covid19 vaccines.

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 15:40   #2891
AZT
BHPian

WHO halts hydroxychloroquine, HIV drugs in COVID trials after failure to reduce death
Quote:
GENEVA (Reuters) - The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Saturday that it was discontinuing its trials of the malaria drug hydroxychloroquine and combination HIV drug lopinavir/ritonavir in hospitalised patients with COVID-19 after they failed to reduce mortality.
Quote:
“These interim trial results show that hydroxychloroquine and lopinavir/ritonavir produce little or no reduction in the mortality of hospitalised COVID-19 patients when compared to standard of care. Solidarity trial investigators will interrupt the trials with immediate effect,” the WHO said in a statement, referring to large multicountry trials that the agency is leading.
The U.N. agency said the decision, taken on the recommendation of the trial’s international steering committee, does not affect other studies where those drugs are used for non-hospitalised patients or as a prophylaxis.
Quote:
The solidarity trial started out with five branches looking at possible treatment approaches to COVID-19: standard care; remdesivir; hydroxychloroquine; lopinavir/ritonavir; and lopanivir/ritonavir combined with interferon.
WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters on Friday that nearly 5,500 patients in 39 countries had been recruited so far into its clinical trials and that interim results were expected within two weeks.
Quote:
Mike Ryan, WHO’s top emergencies expert, said on Friday that it would be unwise to predict when a vaccine could be ready. While a vaccine candidate might show its effectiveness by year’s end, the question was how soon it could then be mass-produced, he said.
Read More: https://in.reuters.com/article/healt...-idINKBN246021
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 19:33   #2892
BHPian

This, if found true, is scary. Hope it turns out to be remnant virus reactivation as they are saying, otherwise people will have to live with Covid like regular cold and cough forever.

Quote:
A woman in Kerala has again tested positive for Covid 19, a few days after reportedly getting cured from the disease in the month of June. She had recently returned to the state from the United Arab Emirates. While the experts have called it worrisome, they have ruled it out as a case of re-infection. According to them, it is more likely to be a case of resurgence of viral remnant. In another possibility, they suspect the woman may not have recovered fully last month.
Link
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 20:32   #2893
BHPian

I saw this very informative documentary about the timeline of the coronavirus discovery. It is shocking to hear about how the Communists in China allowed the virus to spread.

Anyone still supporting Chinese brands or companies like Huawei, MG, Xiaomi etc, which are state-owned companies in China should recalibrate their moral compass, especially if they are staying outside China. The world economy has been destroyed, lakhs have died due to this obsequence to please the Chinese. Not to sound racist, but anyone who talks about fairness and equality and other such ideals with regards to the Chinese has probably never worked with them.
Cessna182 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 21:14   #2894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, all those defending "traditional medicine" need to explain what is the Ayurveda part about finding a "traditional cure" today.
For me, Ayurveda means collecting raw materials for medicines from naturally occurring sources, primarily from plants and in some cases from the soil, rocks, animals. They might be grown with specific purposes or collected from forests. Later these raw materials may be synthesized in the lab and given to patients. How & why these plants work is figured out by trial & error by testing on humans & animals. Note that all the modern pieces of equipment like the microscope, stethoscope, surgical instruments can be used and difference is the source of medicine. Do they have side-effects, I do not know. If this my understanding is wrong, please correct me.
Quote:
There will never be an Ayurvedic cure for the SARS-COV2, according to my interpretation of the term "Ayurveda".
When a plant source is identified which will inhibit the COVID-19 virus, we will have a cure. If someone synthesis a chemical, then it will a drug created from allopathic practices. Giving it a Sanskrit name doesn't make it Ayurvedic.
Garlic, ginger, honey seem to have antibiotic properties. Since these are used on a daily basis in our food, won't we develop antibiotic resistance? If not why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
While we are all entitled to our opinions, let us not "diss" the traditional medicinal practices completely.
The analysis was a limitation with medicinal practices till the 17th century when the microscope was used to observe the micro-organisms. After that time, the behavior of the microorganisms was studied & its inhibitors were created. For instance, malaria erupted due to marshy cultivation lands with the adoption of agriculture by humans and became widespread around 8000 years ago. But root cause & cure was found only in the 20th century.
100 years ago we didn't have a formal education system. Due to this propagation of knowledge across generations was getting lost. Now we have a well-established education system, it calls for more research & the dissecting of traditional medicine practices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
There was no concept of allopathy even 100 years ago and people lived well enough for most part.
Before modern medicine became widespread, even a minor cut could have resulted in death (tetanus, gangrene). The general infrastructure & hygiene was poor, for instance, paved paths for safety. Walking in nights was a risk due to snakes & bites from other animals. Very few people lived well & healthy. The death rate was bad in the population.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
I should have mentioned the source of the document - this document has the guidance from the NGO- shomman.org. The material and the assessment is very close to the CDC guidance given in atleast 40 to 50 documents that explains the spread of COVID viruses. Except for the Virus particle(It might be right but I have not read about those numbers) the information is right about the risky activities.
Like I said that is a brilliant compilation of recommendations from CDC & other sources. But these assertions must be validated by our virus research institutes and advise the general population/Govt on safe practices. Right now the cure for corona seems to be a lockdown, seal down, restrictions & section 144.
Quote:
Just like Americans saved the earth from alien invasion on their Independence Day, how about India saves the world from coronavirus on her Independence Day?

Last edited by msdivy : 5th July 2020 at 21:41.
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th July 2020, 22:06   #2895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post

Just like Americans saved the earth from alien invasion on their Independence Day, how about India saves the world from coronavirus on her Independence Day?
Coming soon to a big screen near you. A Multistarrer featuring ...

But before the Rest of the World comes us Indians!
Look at the emerging controversy regarding AgVA.

It is actually a question of philosophy - where does one draw the line when process deficiencies (because of the understandable 'wartime' accelerated development) leading to product deficiencies is one willing to accept.
And what I'm most apprehensive about, our SOP which favours coverup/ blame game/ whataboutery/ conspiracy theories over rectification and improvement/ development.

Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks