Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2020, 19:03   #3031
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Some sensible decision here:

The Coronavirus Thread-1.jpg

But then don't ask what is the other strategy. Nothing as such:

Quote:
Yediyurappa directed that more number of tests be conducted across the state and also to depute more number of police personnel to avoid crowding in certain places.

https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/77018881.cms
So what is this 1 week ongoing lock down about.

Life will go on..
balenoed_ is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 19:43   #3032
BHPian

Vaccine development status

Quote:
According to the World Health Organization, as of July 14, 163 Covid-19 vaccines were being developed around the world, and 23 of them had started clinical trials involving humans. But only two have reached Phase 3 -- the last scientific stage before approval to be marketed -- which requires large-scale trials with thousands of individuals to assess the efficacy and safety of the vaccine.
Source
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2020, 20:38   #3033
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
So what is this 1 week ongoing lock down about....
They categorically dismissed the idea of the current one too, so we'll only know on/before the morning of the 22nd how this 'promise' holds up. That statement reads more like preempting a 'didn't want to do it but my hand was forced' way out.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 17th July 2020 at 20:40.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 11:56   #3034
Senior - BHPian

The new wave of Coronavirus in USA is termed as a "second wave".

However I think the terminology is wrong. Now the cases are emerging in hitherto uninfected territories like Dallas. New York is no show in terms of new cases now.

So it's wrong to call it a second wave. Rather it's a fresh new wave in new cities which were previously untouched by the virus..
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 13:20   #3035
BHPian

https://m.timesofindia.com/city/beng...w/77028425.cms

A contrarian doctor! I'm sure there are many more. Hope more of them come out with contrarian opinions too.
PearlJam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 14:41   #3036
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Hope more of them come out with contrarian opinions too.
What next? It's all a hoax? Sure! How about some corvid19 parties, eh? America is leading the way. In Britain, Boris says that it will all be over by Christmas.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 20:04   #3037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
My aunty (Dad's sister) died today due to corona.She was 58. She was absolutely healthy 9 days ago. Except sugar (in range of 200-220) she didn't had any ongoing medical situation.

Continuous fever for 2 days - corona test on 3rd day - got positive report on 4th day - day 6,7 on ventilator - on day 8 (yesterday) was recovered a bit, put off from ventilator, had video call with family - Today we were informed that she is dead.

Few days ago we lost our family doctor too due to corona.

Don't believe what so called "experts" are saying. They have leverage to change their words in the name of recent studies of X and Y and whatever just as some experts and studies had made strong claims that corona will disappear in summer due to heat, we are here facing reality.

I am not writing here to create panic, no, I am writing to let people know that this thing is real and should be taken seriously. Yes, it is CURABLE and not that fatal but still has fatality rate.

Please take care, take care of yourself and your loved ones especially elder ones and children. Do take steps to increase your immunity. Vaccine will definitely come but till then we should understand that we all have vaccine within called "immunity system", we have to strengthen it.

Take care,
Stay healthy.
JJay is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 20:14   #3038
BHPian

Hi!

I am looking for advise from the community regarding travel during this pandemic.

My Mother-In-Law in Kolkata has been admitted in ICU due to a non COVID19 ailment today(long term RA patient). The doctor has asked us to be on alert for travelling on short notice to Kolkata.

Now while looking for travel options, I find that Kolkata has blocked flights from Pune (where me and my wife are) from landing till July 31 (or further notice). Now I have 2 technical questions here:

1. Can I travel fly air from Pune to say Hyderabad (which is not on the blocked list) and then take a separate flight from Hyderabad to Kolkata the same day? Will anyone stop me for coming from Pune? The PNRs will be different. Telengana at this moment has no quarantine requirements so will someone stop me at Hyderabad while switching from arrival to departure?

2. Drive from Pune to Kolkata. What can be the risks and pain-points here considering my wife is not a driver. What about quarantine rules for driving down (we will be crossing a few different states in between)?
Old 18th July 2020, 20:57   #3039
BHPian

IMA finally agreed that there’s community spread and situation is bad. Virus is penetrating in villages and it will be difficult to provide proper healthcare there.

IMA chairman, Dr Monga, also said that there are only two options 1) 70% of the population contracts the disease and gets immune and the other is to get immunisation.

More details here:
https://m.timesofindia.com/india/com...w/77038343.cms
INJAXN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 21:33   #3040
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post

1. Can I travel fly air from Pune to say Hyderabad (which is not on the blocked list) and then take a separate flight from Hyderabad to Kolkata the same day? Will anyone stop me for coming from Pune? The PNRs will be different. Telengana at this moment has no quarantine requirements so will someone stop me at Hyderabad while switching from arrival to departure?

Yes. See this news report of something similar someone did..

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...403-2020-07-17
rjainv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 12:25   #3041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Yes you can take via flights to Kolkata. I am right now in Delhi and have to return to Kolkata in 4 5 days. Since direct flights are not allowed from Delhi to Kolkata till 31st i will be going via guwahati/bhubaneswar or bagdogra.
Fordlover88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 21:12   #3042
Senior - BHPian

Study shows SARS-CoV-2, which causes COVID-19, not transmitted by mosquitoes
Quote:
A new study by Kansas State University researchers is the first to confirm that SARS-CoV-2 cannot be transmitted to people by mosquitoes.

The study, which was done at the BRI, a biosecurity level-3 facility, ultimately found that the virus is unable to replicate in three common and widely distributed species of mosquitoes—Aedes aegypti, Aedes albopictus and Culex quinquefasciatus—and therefore cannot be transmitted to humans.

"I am proud of the work we are doing at K-State to learn as much as we can about this and other dangerous pathogens," said Higgs. "This work was possible because of the unique capabilities of the BRI and the dedicated BRI and institutional staff."
This is good research and findings eliminate a vector of transmission. Hope one of our Indian universities conduct similar experiment and confirm the findings.
Old 19th July 2020, 23:09   #3043
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What next? It's all a hoax? Sure!
Been following this thread for long, but did not post earlier. I think we need to take a long, hard look at the virus being discussed in this thread, and the disease it causes.

Many are the people taking the contrarian view, saying that the SARS-CoV-2 virus is like any other flu. Which is much like saying Jack the Ripper is anatomically & physiologically like any other human being. The disease that the virus causes, called COVID-19, is like Jack the Ripper in behaviour.

This graph at the link below visualizes deaths due to various causes vs. deaths due to COVID-19. Quite dramatic.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/2944635

A complete eye-opener, especially for people who think COVID-19 is just like the flu and nothing more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJay View Post
My aunty (Dad's sister) died today due to corona.She was 58. She was absolutely healthy 9 days ago. Except sugar (in range of 200-220) she didn't had any ongoing medical situation.
A very queer new presentation of the disease is being reported from various parts of the world, where apparently perfectly healthy people are suddenly being affected by breathlessness, and are dying within a few hours, giving no chance to relatives / doctors to react and treat, especially ventilate.

I lost my co-brother (66 y.o.) in such a circumstance on the 16th of July. He complained of some breathlessness overnight, called an ambulance early morning, walked down from the 2nd floor and got into the ambulance on his own, and was dead about 2 hours later. He had mild cough & cold and fever a few days before, and procured a pulse oximeter to keep his SpO2 in check - it reportedly varied between 92-98%.

A schoolmate who now deals in ventilators and PAP machines reports:
Quote:
...person of 42 years came from morning chore of bazar, sipped tea. After having tea, within 20 minutes he collapsed and passed away....Otherwise he didn't have any co-morbidity, perfect healthy person. Simlar incident was reported in B'lore as well few days back...
So, despite all the different views that many folks have, make sure that each one of you has the best barrier possible that your money can buy, between yourself and the virus. The only way this virus can get to you is through your mouth and nose, and to a much lesser extent, your eyes.

I'd written earlier on another thread about how to prevent SARS-CoV-2 infections by the proper use of masks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
... I might as well pile in with my 2 bits, considering I (and my profession) have been wearing masks ... for so long and for so many years, that we've lost count. And yes, before I forget, I might as well tell you that I've spent a lot of time in microbiology labs for many years. So let me put in some observations:
Stay safe, gentlemen (and the few ladies reading this).
SS-Traveller is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 05:39   #3044
BHPian

Quote:
I think we need to take a long, hard look at the virus being discussed in this thread, and the disease it causes.
Thank you so much for this well meaning and insightful post. I still cannot fathom people who are treating this as a hoax or similar to other flu. I dont blame them because there are so much confusion and variables constantly fogging the minds. Even the elite organization, the WHO have faltered so how can we blame a common man.

As they say, until the tragedy hits us close, our mind may be incapable of accepting this never seen dread and therefore forces itself to be delusional and normalize the situation

Living in Bangalore, past months when the statistics were low, I felt like a King, looking at how Mumbai, Delhi and Chennai were wrecked, how can this damned virus touch our beloved paradise city. We are in the safest city in the world! Look at how things turned out to be. I dont know if the fear is exaggerated, but having a baby girl and old parents with cardiovascular, diabetes and BP issues, I dont want us to end up as the data in the daily bulletin.

So many smart minds are working on it, why fiddle with our ego, let's stay safe and keep our near and dear ones safer.
doxinboy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 10:07   #3045
BHPian

Quote:

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/2944635

A complete eye-opener, especially for people who think COVID-19 is just like the flu and nothing more!
Not sure why they have left out death by heart and cancer diseases.
shashant is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks