Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2020, 09:37   #3091
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

The study will make some sense if people already infected and cured (those who were tested, isolated/hospitalized) were exempted and only asymptomatic people from the general population were included. At least ten times as many people would definitely have got the virus than what is officially reported currently.

Apollo labs is advertising an antibody test for Rs 1400. No idea if they will demand a prescription or not. If we do the test and antibodies are found, that can give some peace of mind.

Last edited by Gansan : 26th July 2020 at 09:38.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 10:24   #3092
Distinguished - BHPian

Our gated community carried out a serological survey last week and found 38% had COVID-19 antibodies! But we have no confirmed cases or ILIs in our community that could have implied asymptomatic infected residents.

Now there is even more confusion in the air (pun intended)!

On a different note:
Over 3,000 COVID-19 Patients "Untraceable" In Bengaluru Amid Huge Spike
https://www.ndtv.com/bangalore-news/...-spike-2268853

Last edited by itwasntme : 26th July 2020 at 10:27.
itwasntme is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 10:34   #3093
Senior - BHPian

We (wife, son, and I) took Vande Bharat flight from Frankfurt to Kochi on Friday. Flight was via Delhi and Bangalore. All passengers have to wear face mask and face shield. Middle seat passenger have to wear body suit in addition to the above. Temperature screening and some additional documentation were done before check-in at the Frankfurt airport. We reached airport 6 hours before the scheduled departure time.

Food (dinner, breakfast, and snacks) and water and some cleaning supplies were already kept on the respective seats and there were no in cabin service.

We had to change flight after landing in Delhi and it had a stop (40 min) at Bangalore before landing in Kochi.

After landing, we had to submit additional form at the immigration (details and health declaration) and copy of the same were given at the health department employees. Quarantine decision was taken here, ours is home quarantine, and they took the address and contact details.

We then proceeded to book prepaid taxi, paid the amount, and headed to the pickup point. It was an Innova, and driver compartment was isolated and sealed (driver can use AC). There were no interaction during 6 hours drive from the airport till we reached home).

At our district border there was a police check point where they took our details, travel details, and taxi details. We were given a declaration forms that had to be filled and send to authority (on whatsapp).

We reached home and locked us inside (independent house). We started from our hotel in Frankfurt at 12 noon on Friday and reached our quarantine home at 7pm on Saturday. My 6 year old son wore mask and face shield through out the journey (except face shield in taxi) and poor guy was tired by the time got inside the taxi.

Police called us today morning and would be visiting us. We contacted Corona control room and gave our details. Health inspector also called and informed us the general quarantine guidelines. Official quarantine period is 14 days and actual period is 28 days.

Let me know if any of you are traveling (especially with family) and would like to know some details, precautions to be taken, or any other queries.

Last edited by Latheesh : 26th July 2020 at 10:38.
Latheesh is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 10:49   #3094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Our gated community carried out a serological survey last week and found 38% had COVID-19 antibodies! But we have no confirmed cases or ILIs in our community that could have implied asymptomatic infected residents.
Slightly OT but could you let us know how antibody test is done ? Is it a nasal/throat swab ? Or a proper blood draw through a vein ? Or a fingertip prick (like glucometer machines )?
Old 26th July 2020, 12:11   #3095
Senior - BHPian

^^ It is a blood test. They draw blood from the vein.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 12:16   #3096
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, lucky you Which area in Bangalore is this? Could you please give out more details, like sample size, procedure, and how your community went about this? Thanks.

It's time the government did more serosurveys, and put this damn unjustified panic to end, once and for all.

Last edited by PearlJam : 26th July 2020 at 12:25.
PearlJam is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 12:34   #3097
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Would suggest this one to all BHPians. Fits perfectly in the cupholder & the placement makes it always available to you & your passenger. Convenient = after taking toll change back, sanitize your hands. First thing you step in the car, sanitize your hands. After filling fuel, sanitize your hands. This is a permanent fixture in my cars (including the test-drive cars).

The Coronavirus Thread-20200725_182458.jpg
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 12:43   #3098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Would suggest this one to all BHPians. Fits perfectly in the cupholder & the placement makes it always available to you & your passenger.
but keep it inside the console/glove box or any other place away from direct sunlight when you park.
Latheesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 13:03   #3099
BHPian

What are views here on the recovery period post Covid.

Mother got discharged around 20 days back, till date everyday she gets Chills/fever in the range of 100-101F with breathlessness.
All her routine reports/ CT scan have come fine.

Doctor is saying, they have seen patient with continued fever for 30-40 days.
shashant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 01:21   #3100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
but keep it inside the console/glove box or any other place away from direct sunlight when you park.
Are the gels/creams a big fire risk? Using home-made IPA mix at home. Would never use that in a car, as per previous safety discussions here.
Old 27th July 2020, 07:04   #3101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Are the gels/creams a big fire risk?
I don't think it is a big fire risk. I have been keeping hand sanitizer inside the car for many years (small bottle) and observed that gel becomes watery if you keep it under direct sunlight. May be due to change in some chemical composition.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 09:53   #3102
Distinguished - BHPian

Posting an experience close to home. But first would like to highlight this post so it doesn't get missed out, since it is a specific query and if any of the docs could help out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
What are views here on the recovery period post Covid.

Mother got discharged around 20 days back, till date everyday she gets Chills/fever in the range of 100-101F with breathlessness.
All her routine reports/ CT scan have come fine.

Doctor is saying, they have seen patient with continued fever for 30-40 days.

So, coming to what's going on near my place in Bangalore: I've been away at a different city for the past month. Was planning to head back home last week, when I just called up one of the neighbors to check if any of the roads near our place were blocked. Turns out, there was a positive case ID'd in that neighbor's building itself and the authorities have blocked half the street, including access to our house which is two buildings away. I guess we could still head back, but I don't fancy parking the car on the main road, walking to the house and the inevitable lengthy interactions with cops that will be required to prove we live there and we're just returning home. So we're just waiting till next week when the barricades are supposed to be removed before heading back home.

So apparently the person is isolated in his apartment, doing fine, home deliveries allowed. One person from each household in the barricaded zone (about 6 in total) is allowed out to get groceries and deliveries are allowed till the barricades. They will do another test on Wednesday and if that turns out negative, I guess the barricades will be removed.

But no additional testing has happened, not even among the other residents of that particular building. Which is a bit puzzling, because that is a small building and might have 12-16 people max.

I spoke to the owner of that building and he was downplaying the whole thing like it's no big deal, we have to live with this, everything is fine, etc. But I've known that chap for over 15 years and I'm pretty sure that had the 'first' positive case been identified in any other house on that street, he would have been the first to make a huge deal of it and stand ready to drive nails into the barricades in front of that house! Interesting that people seem to be changing attitudes when it happens in their household.

Last edited by am1m : 27th July 2020 at 10:00.
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 10:21   #3103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Now there is even more confusion in the air (pun intended)!

On a different note:
Over 3,000 COVID-19 Patients "Untraceable" In Bengaluru Amid Huge Spike
https://www.ndtv.com/bangalore-news/...-spike-2268853
Are these tests accurate ? Lately all anti-* tests have been suspect. Do you know what the cost per test is ? Its better to get this if accurate which could reduce anxiety in majority of people.

The governments are doing lot of manipulation in tests to keep the numbers down. Antigen tests are still being used even after found to be almost 50% in-accurate.

Last edited by srishiva : 27th July 2020 at 10:23.
Old 27th July 2020, 11:07   #3104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
So, coming to what's going on near my place in Bangalore: I've been away at a different city for the past month. Was planning to head back home last week, when I just called up one of the neighbors to check if any of the roads near our place were blocked. Turns out, there was a positive case ID'd in that neighbor's building itself and the authorities have blocked half the street, including access to our house which is two buildings away. .....
But no additional testing has happened, not even among the other residents of that particular building. Which is a bit puzzling, because that is a small building and might have 12-16 people max.
Hi am1m, from your earlier posts in other threads, I figure you are talking about New Thippasandra locality in Bangalore. If so, then here is something to think about (with reference to highlighted portion of your post above):
I have couple of colleagues staying in the same apartment complex in New Thippasandra. In June, one lady from the apartment was found Covid +ve. They barricaded only that floor of the apartment as containment zone. Rest of the floors were like any other normal apartment. One colleague whose home was in that same floor was under mandatory home quarantine understandably. The other colleague living in another floor was allowed to come to work. Guess what? BBMP did not even bother to test the lady's husband, let alone people in the same floor!

Now, last week in the same aforementioned apartment, unfortunately one man died of heart attack. Posthumously found to be Covid +ve. Again, BBMP has made only that floor as containment zone. Neither the wife nor the 2 kids have been tested for covid. They've been told that they'll be tested only if they are symptomatic.
srvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 11:11   #3105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Slightly OT but could you let us know how antibody test is done ? Is it a nasal/throat swab ? Or a proper blood draw through a vein ? Or a fingertip prick (like glucometer machines )?
Apologies, missed your query. Blood was drawn from the vein like a 'normal' blood test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Wow, lucky you Which area in Bangalore is this? Could you please give out more details, like sample size, procedure, and how your community went about this?
Apologies, cannot disclose but any private service provider will conduct. I believe our provider was Thyrocare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Are these tests accurate ? Lately all anti-* tests have been suspect. Do you know what the cost per test is ? . Antigen tests are still being used even after found to be almost 50% in-accurate.
Cost was <600 bucks based on volumes. Agree on the doubt on accuracy. The results have confused us even more. The optimists are saying our glass is half full (and rejoicing), while the pessimists are saying glass is half empty (and hunkering down indoors even more).

News today: DCGI has cancelled the import licenses of multiple rapid antibody test kits due to USFDA cancellation + perceived performance issues etc.

https://indianexpress.com/article/in...usfda-6523542/

Extract: Thyrocare chairman and MD Arokiaswamy Velumani said they had used 20,000 of these ELISA test kits nationwide up until 10 days ago.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-whatsapp-image-20200723-12.02.35.jpeg  

itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks