Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2020, 23:52   #2956
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Can you clarify this for me, please? We knew from early on that the virus was transmitted through air; then that whilst droplets fell to earth quite quickly, aerosols would travel further and hang around longer. What are we being told now? That this virus will hang around in the air for an extended period of time?
As already explained by others, WHO has now come to acknowledge it that's all. And anyway, just because some viral particles are lingering in the air without settling down doesn't mean everyone breathing them will get infected. A lot depends on the initial viral load too. Yes, the virus will hang in the air for extended period of time but how long that is not certain yet.
vivek95 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 03:15   #2957
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
As already explained by others, WHO has now come to acknowledge it that's all. ... ... ...
Thank you, and thanks to everyone else who weighed in on this, spiralling in on this conclusion.

Whilst I think there is a sense of inflated optimism about, I also have to admit that this lockdown/self-isolation thing doesn't help us to have balanced views, and I tend to go the pessimism route.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 06:11   #2958
BHPian

In the midst of all the discussion on where this stupid virus is going I read an article forwarded by my cousin from Switzerland. I thought it was quite sensibility written and most nations are over reacting for now

Doctors and other medical professionals please share your views

https://medium.com/@vernunftundricht...g-fce6db5ba809
subraiyr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 08:38   #2959
BHPian

Mumbai

Doctor's prescription no more required to get Covid-19 test done in Mumbai, in effect from yesterday.
vivek95 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 09:47   #2960
Senior - BHPian

Here's the tweet announcing the same:

The Coronavirus Thread-img20200708wa0048.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't this been possible in Karnataka for a long time now?
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 10:04   #2961
Senior - BHPian

Big setback for people advocating herd immunity, looks like this will complicate vaccine development too!

Quote:
Population-wide immunity to the novel coronavirus could be "unachievable" with antibodies to the virus disappearing after just a few weeks in some patients, according to a major new Spanish study.
https://www.sciencealert.com/study-s...fG3kwflvJVwcRk

Last edited by giri1.8 : 9th July 2020 at 10:05.
Old 9th July 2020, 11:39   #2962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Absolutely with you on the role of the media, I have anyways stopped watching news long back. The dog whistling waste that is fed in the minds of the gullible day in and day out is the reason of the paranoia and panic surrounding the virus.

Shifting goalposts has become the norm and I find it sad that even after so many flip flops regarding the virus, people still have to endure the pains and no one is bothered!
On a lighter note, the next lockdown ( is that 5.0 or 6.0?)
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-20200709_113432.jpg  

Nalin1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 11:43   #2963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
For me, the whole episode is caught
Quote:
Mishra said the district administration has not conducted COVID-19 test on members of 72 families as they have not shown any symptoms of the infection so far.
This is the sort of logic that has created this mess (and every mess) in our country. Evidence seems to suggest that asymptomatic people are able to spread the disease - shouldn't they have erred on the side of caution? Can we afford to treat even one case of covid-19 properly versus the cost of quarantining those suspected of coming in contact with an infected person? While the WHO may keep sending out ambiguous messages, our experts should weigh the reality of our poverty stricken health care system against the cost of treating a patient at the level of an affluent nation - we cannot take any risks, but on the other hand we are willing to lockdown the entire nation!
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 12:27   #2964
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
As already explained by others, WHO has now come to acknowledge it that's all. And anyway, just because some viral particles are lingering in the air without settling down doesn't mean everyone breathing them will get infected. A lot depends on the initial viral load too. Yes, the virus will hang in the air for extended period of time but how long that is not certain yet.
WHO itself is under threat especially from Trump. So we have to take them with a pinch of salt. All I surmise is that the stuff may last a bit longer in the air.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th July 2020 at 20:49. Reason: esp - especially
Old 9th July 2020, 12:27   #2965
Senior - BHPian

A question to Doctors:

Has the medical fraternity in India started prescribing Glenmark FabiFlu (Favipiravir) tablets to coronavirus patients ?

Its been a fortnight since the drug was approved and launched as frontline treatment of Covid-19, however i am yet to come across anyone being actually treated with this drug.

And i believe the drug works for mild to moderate cases, so i think majority of Covid-19 patients should be getting it. What am i missing here ?
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 12:41   #2966
Senior - BHPian

Some of the best charts I have seen for covid-19 in India

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-53284144

Positive thing is our recoveries are faster, mortality rate is lower. But everyone agrees we need to test a lot per million population. With good preparation, there should a stringent lock down for 15-20 days to check the spread with lots of random tests during that time.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 13:10   #2967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
With good preparation, there should a stringent lock down for 15-20 days to check the spread with lots of random tests during that time.
That is the key, na?

A friend lives in an upscale apartment complex in Bangalore. A few days ago, there was one positive case reported from there. So the authorities duly sealed the floor that patient was on. Well and good. It has been a few days now and there hasn't even been any talk of random testing in the apartment complex to assess the spread. Thankfully the government seems past the days of sealing the entire complex for just one case, but surely at least random, if not extensive testing makes sense in such a situation and area? And as soon as possible? Instead all there is, is increased restrictions on...visitors(!), while residents are free to go around.

IMHO, if even random testing is not happening in the vicinity of and in the wake of a positive case in a limited area, what would be the use of yet another "stringent lockdown" with all the attendant issues and misery that brings with it? Will mass testing all over the country/cities really happen during that period, if it is not being considered/conducted so far?

(Happy to be corrected if I've missed something, but this is the way I see things unfolding.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Btw, my father in Law tested positive on 26th june in delhi. Was home quarantined and advised complete isolation till 11th july. By God's grace he has recovered well and will be going for a retest after 11th july.
That's such great news! If you don't mind our asking, how old is he? Did he develop any symptoms during the period of home isolation? It's great to hear stories of people recovering. I think we could use more such positive stories to balance the scare-mongering.

Last edited by am1m : 9th July 2020 at 13:30.
Old 9th July 2020, 13:21   #2968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Here's the tweet
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't this been possible in Karnataka for a long time now?
What's the situation in NCR.
Do we still need a doctor's prescription here for the test?

Btw, my father in Law tested positive on 26th june in delhi. Was home quarantined and advised complete isolation till 11th july. By God's grace he has recovered well and will be going for a retest after 11th july.
harry10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 21:36   #2969
BHPian

My son was suffering from cold since 11 June. Yesterday suspecting Sinusitis we took him to pediatrician. Initially we thought of taking online consultation but later decided against that as the doctor should actually check the congestion. I waited in the car with my son whereas my wife registered name / phone with reception. The clinic is allowing only one patient at a time inside. The doctor prescribed antibiotics and Allegra. We returned to our house and since yesterday he has nose blockage only but no other problems - no fever or cough.

Today evening we got a message asking us to visit nearest Fever clinic for Covid test.

1.Are doctors mandated to provide the patient visits to Govt. Authorities now? This is in Bangalore.

2. As I "think" he does not exhibit any symptoms, is it mandatory to go and checked? The doctor has not mentioned anything about this yesterday.
AltoLXI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 00:01   #2970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
My son was suffering from cold since 11 June....

2. As I "think" he does not exhibit any symptoms, is it mandatory to go and checked? The doctor has not mentioned anything about this yesterday.

anosmia
/əˈnɒzmɪə/
nounMEDICINE
the loss of the sense of smell, either total or partial. It may be caused by head injury, infection, or blockage of the nose.

https://techenclave.com/community/th...9/post-2204429
proton is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks