Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2020, 10:15   #2866
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
While we are all entitled to our opinions, let us not "diss" the traditional medicinal practices completely.
Tamil Nadu now has one government isolation facility in Chennai that offers exclusive Siddha treatment. Willing people can opt for it, but only if they have nil or mild symptoms. So far over five hundred people opted and have been cured successfully. It is claimed most of the patients tested negative after a week of treatment.

Even in regular government Covid hospitals one or two traditional Siddha/Ayurvedic herbal medicines are included as immune boosters. This is being done in Kerala too successfully, I heard.

https://www.deccanherald.com/nationa...ne-853290.html

Last edited by Gansan : 3rd July 2020 at 10:22.
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 11:30   #2867
BHPian

This CDC document gives a decent outlook on the way the virus spreads.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-covidspread.jpg  

aadya is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 13:10   #2868
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Any information regarding “covaxin” developed by bharat biotech? Clinicial trials started from 29th june and expected to be launched on 15th august.

I hope it is not something like “coronil”(no offence to patanjali users/fans)

Last edited by Raghav96 : 3rd July 2020 at 13:12.
Raghav96 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 13:31   #2869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghav96 View Post
Hello everyone,

Any information regarding “covaxin” developed by bharat biotech? Clinicial trials started from 29th june and expected to be launched on 15th august.

I hope it is not something like “coronil”(no offence to patanjali users/fans)
Government is pushing Bharat Biotech to launch the vaccine on 15th August, for which the firm will need to expedite clinical trials very quickly.

I do not think its a great idea to push rigorously for early vaccine. What we need is a safe and effective vaccine. By rushing things up, there may be compromise on safety and efficacy.

And the date that is chosen is independence day. This is why this push to launch it on 15th so that there is a "symbolic" meaning to the vaccine - independence from Covid-19.
DCEite is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 14:13   #2870
AZT
BHPian

Short timeline for India vaccine test raises doubts among health experts

Quote:
NEW DELHI/BENGALURU (Reuters) - The chief of India’s top clinical research agency said in a leaked letter circulated on Friday it envisaged launching a novel coronavirus vaccine by Aug. 15, prompting derision from some health experts who questioned the timeline.
Dozens of vaccine candidates are at various stages of development around the world to control the coronavirus pandemic.
One candidate, from India’s Bharat Biotech, which is being developed with the Indian Council of Medical Research, was this week approved for Phase I and Phase II clinical trials.

Phase I and Phase II trials typically test the safety of a drug before it enters Phase III trials that test its efficacy.
Each phase can last months, if not years, but regulators globally have been fast-tracking trials on medicines and vaccines aimed at tackling the cornavirus, which has infected more than 10.89 million people globally and killed more than 520,066​, according to a Reuters tally.
Quote:
Anant Bhan, a doctor and public health researcher, questioned the speed of the trial suggested in the letter and asked if its efficacy was being decided in advance.
“To my knowledge, such an accelerated development pathway has not been done EVER for any kind of vaccine, even for the ones being tried out in other countries,” Bhan said on Twitter.
“Even with accelerated timelines, this seems really rushed, and hence with potential risks, inadequate attention to process.”
Several other health experts also questioned the proposed launch date of the vaccine.
Read More: https://in.reuters.com/article/healt...-idINKBN2440VS
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 19:24   #2871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Could you please give a link to the original CDC document or web page? I found this very same information in a WhatsApp forward, but could not trace the original source.
Old 3rd July 2020, 20:30   #2872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Well said, friend! The typical reader of this forum is usually well-educated enough to make their own choices and if they still choose to consume these bogus alternatives, that's entirely up to them.

The real victims of this pseudoscientific nonsense are the poor and uneducated who sometimes don't have the right background to call out these scams. The fact that we have a "Ministry of AYUSH" that continues to push unscientific medicine is an absurd beyond belief. May as well take a leaf out of Harry Potter and have a Ministry for Magic while we're at it.
Well, hold your horses brother.

While I don't wish to turn this thread into an educating thread , I highly recommend you getting deeper into facts and science behind this native (not alternative) medicine. I am not a big fan of ones like Patanjali who are demeriting age old proven practices and composition.
Thilak29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 23:42   #2873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is excellent document. I hope virus research institutes in our country conduct experiments and verify these claims.
Old 3rd July 2020, 23:51   #2874
BHPian

Quote:
This is NOT a document by CDC. There is no such material in the CDC website. Also in a CDC document it will not be mentioned as "From:CDC (USA)". The line itself makes the document origin doubtful.

Moreover the top corners mentions some Somman.org.
archat68 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 23:55   #2875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Well said, friend! The typical reader of this forum is usually well-educated enough to make their own choices and if they still choose to consume these bogus alternatives, that's entirely up to them.

The real victims of this pseudoscientific nonsense are the poor and uneducated who sometimes don't have the right background to call out these scams. The fact that we have a "Ministry of AYUSH" that continues to push unscientific medicine is an absurd beyond belief. May as well take a leaf out of Harry Potter and have a Ministry for Magic while we're at it.
Each own to his/her own - but to belittle others who believe in Ayurveda/ Homeopathy and benefit from it - is pure arrogance and lack of respect for an alternate view.

Modern science isnt the only science. It has significant limitations - and our ancestors who invented Ayurvedic system of medicine were wise to be able to treat most diseases with available resources - herbs, plants etc. The fact that it is effective is what matters.

I am not asking you to try it out or anything - you may as well survive on taking 'modern medicine' for all ailments incl. a stomach ache et al - just that to call others as uneducated and criticize the Govt for having a ministry around traditional medicine - is intolerant beyond belief.
RoadTiger is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 00:15   #2876
BHPian

Quote:
Hello

The day I received this as a whatsapp forward about a week back, I had explored the CDC website to find the source of this information. Unfortunately, only some parts were true. CDC does have a document on "pandemic creating scenarios" but I couldn't specifically find this information on the number of viral particles that determines the spread of infection. So what the viral forward claims is very dubious.
vivek95 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 01:21   #2877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Could you please give a link to the original CDC document or web page? I found this very same information in a WhatsApp forward, but could not trace the original source.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post

Moreover the top corners mentions some Somman.org.
Actually it is https://www.shomman.org/ a Bangladeshi NGO, with contact details. So rather than speculating, start by asking them if they have actually circulated this information, and attribution/ details. Be your own factchecker!

Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 4th July 2020 at 01:23.
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 01:54   #2878
Distinguished - BHPian

Those who are interested in non-allopathic/alternative medicines might like to read this conversation in The Hindu -

Can alternative medicine be subject to modern rigour?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 02:28   #2879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Actually it is https://www.shomman.org/ a Bangladeshi NGO, with contact details. So rather than speculating, start by asking them if they have actually circulated this information, and attribution/ details. Be your own factchecker!

Sutripta
Already did that here (The Coronavirus Thread)

By the way, all those defending "traditional medicine" need to explain what is the Ayurveda part about finding a "traditional cure" today. Agreed that Ayurveda is a great system and pioneered many of the principles used even today in modern medicine, but whatever cure is discovered today is based on trying out new compounds just like everyone else. Basically "new Ayurvedic drugs", are, I'm unable to get the correct word, in my opinion just something discovered using good old trial and error, and they're not by any means "Ayurvedic".

The label "Ayurvedic", in such cases, is used to con people by avoiding a rigorous testing process because governments tend to concentrate on modern medicine. They should allow only authentic traditional formulations under "Ayurvedic", and that too proven to work without major side effects. All other formulations should undergo rigorous testing like any other drug and also be forbidden from being labeled Ayurvedic. The only research in Ayurveda should be to explain the ancient system better in modern terms and adopt any beneficial practices after thorough testing - obviously there's no such thing as a "new Ayurvedic drug"! Let's not insult our pioneering ancient Ayurvedic physicians by defending fraudulent messiahs and quacks, bringing in nonsense like patriotism and traditions into the mix, that they themselves would firmly reject!
There will never be an Ayurvedic cure for the SARS-COV2, according to my interpretation of the term "Ayurveda".
mvadg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2020, 11:27   #2880
Distinguished - BHPian

Ayurveda and other Indic practices are holistic and preventive. We have known about the good effects of Pranayama for instance, and a Harvard study in 2019 basically told the world what we have known always - deep breaths control anxiety. Anand Mahindra trolled the study on Twitter and rightly so.

But our Indic systems of medicine do not target receptors on microbes with pin-point precision. That's the job of allopathic drug molecules. Let us not kid ourselves and delve into obscurantism while we rebuild our self esteem as a culture and civilization; one never forgets that we've been ravaged by invasions and foreign rule.

And yet beware of allopathic medicines. You get a cure now but will inevitably pay a price by way of side effects later on. My uncle has brain cancer and another uncle swears as a radiologist that it was all those fertility treatments that caused the brain tumor in him. He has seen a 100 brain tumor patients who have earlier undergone allopathic fertility treatments. And then the list is on - Ranitidine was proven carcinogenic after decades of widespread use. Even Johnson & Johnson's baby talcum powder is carcinogenic, and the company is silently removing stocks from shelves across North America!

Thus, the non-Indic allopathic medicines weirdly remind us of that all-pervasive nugget of Indian wisdom - that of karma. You can get a quick fix now, but you can't escape consequences of your actions. Get cured now and pay dearly later on.

Last edited by locusjag : 4th July 2020 at 11:29. Reason: Spellings
locusjag is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks