Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
  • Homeopathy is pseudoscience.
  • Aurveda is pseudoscience.
  • Siddha is pseudoscience.
  • Acupuncture is pseudoscience.
  • Naturopathy is pseudoscience.
Well said, friend! The typical reader of this forum is usually well-educated enough to make their own choices and if they still choose to consume these bogus alternatives, that's entirely up to them.

The real victims of this pseudoscientific nonsense are the poor and uneducated who sometimes don't have the right background to call out these scams. The fact that we have a "Ministry of AYUSH" that continues to push unscientific medicine is an absurd beyond belief. May as well take a leaf out of Harry Potter and have a Ministry for Magic while we're at it.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 23:26   #2853
BHPian

Does anyone know what is in the disinfectant that is sprayed into open air? There is a picture of this Mist Cannon blowing something into open air. I wonder what the efficacy of this exercise is. I am thinking, the virus is sitting inside the lungs of carriers, and will infect others the moment they go indoors and close to people. If anything breathing in this disinfectant will may have some unknown side effects. Or worse, give people a false sense of hope that the area has been cleared of the virus.
https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/76697200.cms
GutsyGibbon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 23:47   #2854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Has anyone noticed that in past few days, the trend of daily new cases has been:

1) A study decline or flattening of curve for states in North India - eg. Delhi/UP/Rajasthan/Haryana

2) A disturbing rise in cases in south of India - Telengana/Kerala/Karnataka/Tamilnadu etc.

What could be the reasons for this trend ?
Have the modes of covid-19 transmission identified with evidence? How did the +ve cases patients get infected? Any information on this?

The reason I ask is there are 3 main recommendations to remain safe:
1) In public, wear a mask & speak only to those who wear a mask.
2) Avoid closed & crowded places especially with poor ventilation. If unavoidable, maintain 3ft distance.
3) Wash hands after touching anything in public & avoid touching your face before washing hands.

Beyond these, are there any modes identified? Or all the cases fall into failing in observing 1 or more of those listed?

BTW, face mask visualization is done by FAU - College of Engineering and Computer Science. Link: https://www.livescience.com/face-mas...-covid-19.html

Last edited by msdivy : 1st July 2020 at 23:51.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 04:01   #2855
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Does anyone know what is in the disinfectant that is sprayed into open air? ...
No, but I am very dubious about this untargeted disinfection. I'd think it would be just great on things like handrails in public places, but sprayed into the air? More symbolic than useful.

Another thing is sprinkling bleaching powder around. They put it down the edges of our road. What, no viruses in the middle of the road? And... with a disease that can cause severe breathing problems, who needs bleaching powder in the dust we are already breathing?

Ranting... but hey, happy to be wrong!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 04:22   #2856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No, but I am very dubious about this untargeted disinfection. I'd think it would be just great on things like handrails in public places, but sprayed into the air? More symbolic than useful.
Another thing is sprinkling bleaching powder around. They put it down the edges of our road. What, no viruses in the middle of the road? And... with a disease that can cause severe breathing problems, who needs bleaching powder in the dust we are already breathing?
Ranting... but hey, happy to be wrong!
My parents had a sigh of relief that "something" was being done, spraying powder on the road and into the air. I had to bite my tongue and let them have it.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 08:29   #2857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post

The real victims of this pseudoscientific nonsense are the poor and uneducated who sometimes don't have the right background to call out these scams. The fact that we have a "Ministry of AYUSH" that continues to push unscientific medicine is an absurd beyond belief. May as well take a leaf out of Harry Potter and have a Ministry for Magic while we're at it.
Sorry, don't agree about the "poor and uneducated" part. I have fallen for such scams. And it's not just with Ayurvedic or homeopathic "medicines" Even some allopathic drugs are scams. It all depends on the messaging. That's why today I have a PhD in skepticism ! I double check whatever even my family doctor says or prescribes. But I am still gullible. We all are.
I remember an Ayurvedic "cure" for diabetes touted by no less than a magazine like Frontline. Some CEO claimed it cured him of diabetes in a month. I urged my mom to try it, spent thousands of rupees, over a period of 3 months...
Statins, stopped taking them. On top of all this, I'm one person who seems to be unaffected by placebos .

The good thing is people will lose faith in AYUSH soon. But those who are desperate will cling to anything that gives them hope, so there's no changing that.
mvadg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:35   #2858
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a good one:

https://indianexpress.com/article/ex...-care-6485803/

"Most of those who will get Covid-19 will be fine. Among those who have some symptoms, monitor as many as possible with pulse-oximeters (or simply by counting the respiratory rate, when devices run out). And if short of breath, administer oxygenation and pronation.

A minority will get very sick, and will require critical care. The harsh reality is that most from the last group will not get the care they need. We cannot fix decades of neglect while in the throes of a pandemic."
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 12:23   #2859
Senior - BHPian

Found this on twitter - https://twitter.com/Suriyamanoher_S/...66782436503553. Source says 'District Surveillance Unit, Ernakulam' & no date. Somebody who this groundwork must be complimented, We need more such field results.

The Coronavirus Thread-mask.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
"Most of those who will get Covid-19 will be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
A minority will get very sick, and will require critical care.
Even here in this thread, we had discussed and a similar conclusion was reached in mid-March itself. This was based on data from COVID-19 handling from China and considering COVID-19 has just a virus.

What we needed was experiments, simulation & visualization from our research institutes & universities regarding COVID-19 and share the results. But none seen so far. What is happening is, the Govt is flying by the seat of its pants and figuring the course of action *only* based on-field results. Instead, field results should have been just one of the inputs in decision making.

Last edited by msdivy : 2nd July 2020 at 12:31.
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 19:09   #2860
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Found this on twitter
Honestly, I wouldn't want to be within several metres of a symptomatic patient for one sneeze duration! Masked or not.
Old 2nd July 2020, 20:08   #2861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Does anyone know what is in the disinfectant that is sprayed into open air? There is a picture of this Mist Cannon blowing something into open air. I wonder what the efficacy of this exercise is. I am thinking, the virus is sitting inside the lungs of carriers, and will infect others the moment they go indoors and close to people. If anything breathing in this disinfectant will may have some unknown side effects. Or worse, give people a false sense of hope that the area has been cleared of the virus.
https://bangaloremirror.indiatimes.c...w/76697200.cms
It's nothing but diluted bleach !! The govt is just referring to it by its chemical name -sodium hypochlorite to make it sound technical. Earlier there were claims of there being a shortage of the chemical when it's pretty obvious that bleach is available in ample amount !!
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 22:19   #2862
BHPian

The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200702220945_chrome.jpg

Link
DigitalOne is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 23:48   #2863
BHPian

A new study from Sweden points out to T-cell immunity rather than antibodies (B-cells) to SARS--Cov2 virus and the prevalence of such individuals could already be higher than the erstwhile antibody studies from EU nations which put the figure at 7%. This study is yet to be peer reviewed but lets hope more rigorous studies with large number of participants are conducted across the world including India to understand the immunology towards Covid-19 and verify the initial claims made by Karolinska institute, Sweden. Lets keep our fingers crossed. And by the way, the said institute has not made any tall claims and they seem to be exploring more in this direction. Best wishes to them.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/healt...vid19-immunity

Last edited by vivek95 : 2nd July 2020 at 23:55.
vivek95 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 06:57   #2864
Senior - BHPian

While we are all entitled to our opinions, let us not "diss" the traditional medicinal practices completely. I know many cases in our extended family who have taken treatments from very learned and respected Ayurvedacharyas and have gotten cured. In fact, our generation in India has descended from our ancestors who have used only traditional medicines. There was no concept of allopathy even 100 years ago and people lived well enough for most part. The most important lesson to be learnt from modern scientific education is to recognise that possibilities exist beyond the realm of existing knowledge. We would have never accepted the quantum universe otherwise.

This particular virus is also proving to be quite dodgy. Yes, there will eventually be a vaccination and perhaps a cure based on so-called modern scientific methods. Doesn't mean that practices of traditional medicines cannot be used as preventives at all. In fact, the more people using such methods for general well being and immunity boosting, the lesser will be the burden on the overstretched health care system.
fhdowntheline is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2020, 08:14   #2865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post

The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200703080654.jpeg

The United States and the European Union have comparable population sizes, but the trajectories of their COVID-19 outbreaks have been vastly different. New data released by the European Center for Disease Control and Prevention shows that while there are around 4,000 new COVID cases in the EU each day, the United States is now recording more than 30,000 new cases of the virus each day – eight times higher than Europe. At least 23 US states have reported significant upticks in new daily COVID-19 cases in recent days, raising fears of an approaching "second wave" of infection. And while some politicians in the US have ascribed the difference to discrepancies in testing, a close analysis shows that the United States and the EU are conducting roughly the same number of tests per million people. Here's a look at the seven-day rolling average of new COVID cases in the EU and the US since March.
proton is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks