Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2020, 11:01   #2926
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I don't know what to say anymore to them without coming across as some Bolsonaro advocating bravado!
1. The man finally got coronavirus

2. He went and took off his mask after announcing that he'd got it

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/76841494.cms

Old man Darwin is rubbing his hands in glee.
hserus is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 11:12   #2927
BHPian

Quote:
But honestly, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm wrong about that. It's only on this forum that I see some rational voices thinking like this. Everyone else actually around me seems to be overwhelmingly for blaming 'outsiders coming in from other states and bringing the virus' or 'because we removed lockdown'. I don't know what to say anymore to them without coming across as some Bolsonaro advocating bravado! Funny thing is the government (or at least some sane voices there) also seem to be coming around to the view (based on what I read in the news) that cases will rise in Bangalore, that is inevitable, we will just have to manage them and we can.
Very well said. I had to show a couple of guys the testing stats in covid19.org to show how far ahead the testing in MH and TN is. They did not want to believe that increased testing will bring out additional case and wanted to blame on people returning to Bangalore from other states.

Also the news about people not getting admitted and dying outside has really spooked a lot of them that they are now going back to the home states.
m8002? is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 11:16   #2928
BHPian

Quote:
That's what I think too. I think the more cases being discovered is a good thing, it means we are doing more testing and starting to do things right, moving asymptomatic cases to home care, mild cases to covid care centers, letting hospitals focus on serious cases, etc.

(That is just my optimistic opinion though.)

But honestly, I'm beginning to wonder if I'm wrong about that. It's only on this forum that I see some rational voices thinking like this. Everyone else actually around me seems to be overwhelmingly for blaming 'outsiders coming in from other states and bringing the virus' or 'because we removed lockdown'. I don't know what to say anymore to them without coming across as some Bolsonaro advocating bravado! Funny thing is the government (or at least some sane voices there) also seem to be coming around to the view (based on what I read in the news) that cases will rise in Bangalore, that is inevitable, we will just have to manage them and we can.

Like almost every other debate these days it's assumed you have to be on one end or the other. Either scare people into total lockdown on one hand or it is assumed you want to act fearless and foolish and walk around without a care. The middle ground where we don't lock people up but push sensibly for precautions and get on with living with this seems to not be an option. But I honestly don't see what other way this will play out in reality.

I truly find this outsider/insider mentality despicable. These are the same people who love to #blacklivesmatter and watch patriotic movies only to get stuck in a traffic jam and tell the other guy to go back to his hometown.

What they don't realise is that the very influx of this outsider is what's making the economy boom. Companies don't startup in bangalore because they love the traffic or pathetic infrastructure. They do that because there is access to a great mix of talent from around the nation. Unfortunately some idiots are too snotty to notice that.

I remember once someone telling me a few years ago that people come to bangalore because of the malls, the awesome restaurants and pubs etc. His racist little mind couldn't fathom that it works the other way around too.

In times of a calamity is when we should really set aside our color and accent and what not and stand together to fight this. While I strongly oppose unnecessary travel (like what's happening in Himachal right now) that exposes the locals to risk, unavoidable travel is just that - unavoidable. And we should not look at people to blame for what's happening. What we should look for is what can we do to prevent spread, and do that.

Removing the lockdown was imminent to prevent further damage to the economy. And damage to the economy hurts everyone.

I just hope, we make it through this without adding to it. The last thing we need now is unrest due to "outsiders".

Wear a mask, maintain 2m distance and mind our own business. That's the only way we're coming out of this with any degree of safety. Waiting for the government to lockdown is like waiting to be challaned before buying a helmet - You may just end up dead in between.

Had a bad start to the day cause I woke up to this today: (Content may be disturbing to some viewers. Link says exactly what the video shows.)

https://www.ndtv.com/bhopal-news/cov...n-cctv-2258488

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
1. The man finally got coronavirus

2. He went and took off his mask after announcing that he'd got it

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/76841494.cms

Old man Darwin is rubbing his hands in glee.
I don't know what to say but 'Wow'. Perhaps stupidity is a new symptom?

Last edited by Tassem : 8th July 2020 at 11:19.
Tassem is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 11:20   #2929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The southern states especially TN and Kerala have a much more aggressive rate of testing than elsewhere in India. These days they are doing door to door tests in containment zones.
Quote:
That's what I think too. I think the more cases being discovered is a good thing, it means we are doing more testing and starting to do things right, moving asymptomatic cases to home care, mild cases to covid care centers, letting hospitals focus on serious cases, etc.

(That is just my optimistic opinion though.)

Like almost every other debate these days it's assumed you have to be on one end or the other. Either scare people into total lockdown on one hand or it is assumed you want to act fearless and foolish and walk around without a care. The middle ground where we don't lock people up but push sensibly for precautions and get on with living with this seems to not be an option. But I honestly don't see what other way this will play out in reality.
Honestly, i don't think the southern states like Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu have suddenly started testing on a large scale, and that the testing was inadequate from March till June end. And that suddenly Delhi and other north Indian states have started testing lesser.

The fact is, here in North, we are seeing a surge in testing too. But most states here are either peaking of falling from the peak. I don't have any explanation for this phenomenon though, but i do think that the Virus follows an inverted "U" shaped pattern wherever it spreads. I bet you, even countries like New Zealand will see a resurgence of Covid cases, sooner or later. No State, no City, No country can escape a U shaped virus transmission pattern. Those who manage to avert the first wave, will definitely (unfortunately) get a second wave (see what happened to Israel for example). The virus will run its course no matter what.
DCEite is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 11:32   #2930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
They did not want to believe that increased testing will bring out additional case and wanted to blame on people returning to Bangalore from other states.
Well, now people in smaller towns have started 'blaming' people from Bangalore for coming there and bringing the virus. If it was not Bangalore or Mumbai or wherever, it would have happened/will happen from some other route.

People need to understand that that's just how a virus spreads and how this one has- all the way from Wuhan!

Last edited by am1m : 8th July 2020 at 11:35.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 11:32   #2931
Senior - BHPian

The states with higher number of cases are those states where the percentage of positive cases are much higher vs tests. Since we still believe community transmission is not happening (?), the tests were always around the positive cases among primary and secondary contacts. That will show higher tests in top 3 states.

When people from outside bring the virus, its the people who are returning to their states. Just as Indians returning brought virus to the country. We are way past thinking about these things. Its easier to sometimes misjudge a statement and go way OT.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 11:55   #2932
BHPian

I have always maintained it since the beginning that let's give some benefit of doubt to this tiny Nordic country- Sweden. There is some positive news finally coming in from there, what looks like the peak has passed despite Sweden's most unusual and only one of its kind of no-lockdown approach in the entire world. Is Sweden better than others in handling the second wave ?? Time will tell. I may be proven wrong as well. The high toll of deaths is certainly unfortunate but let's see if Sweden model is indeed sustainable in the long run.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...e-may-12910686

Last edited by vivek95 : 8th July 2020 at 11:56.
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 12:23   #2933
BANNED

I was talking to a senior medico, consultant in a major Private Hospital yesterday. He reckons that Covid is not going away. By the winters it will decline into an annoyance. Lifestyle will have changed for good.

@vivek95; Sweden statistics are horrible. Their Scandinavian neighbors have banned them. Also, 'herd immunity' has only approached about 24%, you need 70% plus for it to work.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 12:29   #2934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
I truly find this outsider/insider mentality despicable.
The "Outsider vs Insider" is a very fluid concept. Right now there are multiple news reports that people from Bangalore are being stopped from entering their own hometowns within Karnataka. And over-enthusiastic RWAs treat everybody as 'outsider'. So I will not read too much into these in current times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
On the flip side, as I mentioned earlier, the states in South seem to be accelerating in terms of number of cases per day.
Apart from increased testing as many have pointed out, we have to realize that Covid19 is more prevalent in densely populated urban areas. Southern states have more urban districts than North. As economic activities pick up in the South urban areas, it was to be expected that there will be more cases.

Quote:
The middle ground where we don't lock people up but push sensibly for precautions and get on with living with this seems to not be an option. But I honestly don't see what other way this will play out in reality.
My guess there will be a turnaround of perception in the general public happening by Aug 1st week. Right now, the public hear of 'rising cases' only. They don't hear of 'rising recoveries' or realize the fact that this disease is fatal only for a very very small percentage. Once they come to be aware of recoveries of people they personally know, they will gradually stop worrying of 'number of cases'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Good news coming from the United States also. Number of deaths trending down fast in spite of rising number of cases.

Recoveries are increasing. Treatments are getting better..

The Coronavirus Thread-usa_daily_deaths_2.jpg

The Coronavirus Thread-usa_dailycases_2.jpg

Last edited by DigitalOne : 8th July 2020 at 12:31.
DigitalOne is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 12:45   #2935
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I was talking to a senior medico, consultant in a major Private Hospital yesterday. He reckons that Covid is not going away. By the winters it will decline into an annoyance. Lifestyle will have changed for good.

@vivek95; Sweden statistics are horrible. Their Scandinavian neighbors have banned them. Also, 'herd immunity' has only approached about 24%, you need 70% plus for it to work.
Sirji, I have been saying that since two months now. Covid is just not going to go away unless it miraculously behaves like SARS-1. Every Doctor on this planet reckons the same as the consultant you spoke to. I know the atleast 60% mark for herd immunity being a Doctor, but my point is to say that, the figures projected by some great model of London have shamefully gone wrong for Sweden as well despite them not adopting the lockdown. Yes their stats are horrible compared to their neighbours but in the midst of all this, where is any nation taking into account "sustainability " ??

By the way here is what the Imperial college of London model had predicted for Sweden. Now does the stats look better ??
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200708124146.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 12:56   #2936
BHPian

*Please excuse Rant from a frustrated layman*

By all estimates, a vaccine with a good success rate will be available commercially at least a year from now or maybe more. That too for specific virus strain. There will be other strains of the same virus infecting and killing us even if we take the vaccine. Wave after wave of infections will come and dissipate after taking away lives and livelihoods. Are we looking at an apocalyptic scenario a few years from now? And how long can we shut our doors , stay indoor , close schools and public places? People who have jobs or secure monthly incomes are all for lockdown and all. What about small business owners? People working in different capacities in restaurants, malls, theaters, hotels(I'm not even mentioning the owners some of whom have taken a loan to set up business). The small but popular food-joints by the highway where the travellers used to stop for quick refreshments. Now when we travel, we are not going to stop in those places anymore. Are we ever going to go back in our old life and practices? What about the White-collar I.T. workers who lost their job in the last three months as there are no new big projects coming? How long can our poor country distribute 5Kg food-grain? Is this the beginning of the end?

I am frustrated listening to all the suggestions on what we should do to prevent infection; there is no suggestion yet on how to go back to the normal life of 2019

*Rant Over*
ankan.m.blr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 13:03   #2937
AZT
BHPian

Cashless claim facility not being honored by hospitals for Covid-19 patients. With cases rising and high cost of treatment, this could be a problem for many people

Insured coronavirus patients get a raw deal

Quote:
Coronavirus patients in some parts of India have discovered to their chagrin that the cashless claim facility offered by their insurers may not be honoured by hospitals, adding to their distress at a time of crisis.
Family members have had to frantically arrange large sums of cash at short notice as critical patients waited to be treated because hospitals wouldn’t accept cashless settlement of hospital bills by the insurance provider.
Quote:
“All private hospitals I reached out to said they will not entertain cashless claims for covid-19 patients. I had to arrange for money by borrowing from my relatives and friends overnight. I was asked to deposit ₹1 lakh at the time of admission," said Salot, 31, a chartered accountant.
Dr Girdhar Gyani, director general, Association of Healthcare Providers (India), said cashless claim denials may be few and far between. “For instance, Delhi, Haryana and Karnataka have prescribed covid treatment rates and this is what we take from uninsured patients. However, in case of insured patients, rates are as per agreements and so maybe if insurers insist on government rates, it could lead to a denial of cashless claim," he added.
Quote:
Dr. Sujit Chatterjee, chief executive of Dr LH Hiranandani Hospital and president of Mumbai Healthcare Providers Association, said he hasn’t heard of hospitals denying cashless claims. “We haven’t come across any instance of hospitals denying eligible cashless claims. But if cashless claims are being denied, one of the possible reasons could be that the insurance firm and the hospital are not in agreement over the rates for covid," he said.
Read More: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...hread-196.html (The Coronavirus Thread)
AZT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 13:43   #2938
Team-BHP Support

Hospitals and insurance both pointing the finger at each other. Former obviously want more money, latter obviously want to pay as less as they can get away with.

Screw the customer who's probably paid premia for several years to avoid the exact same situation they're now being put through.

Welcome to 'Making Money Off a Pandemic: Corona Edition'.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 14:19   #2939
Senior - BHPian

The total number of tests done as of yesterday in India stood at 1.05 crores. TN has done the highest number - 14.13 lakhs, and is currently doing around 35k tests everyday. Maharashtra is second with 11.65 lakhs, AP 10.50 lakhs, Rajasthan 9.4 lakhs, UP 9.22 lakhs, Karnataka 7.4 lakhs, Delhi 6.8 lakhs. All other states are not even close.

https://www.covid19india.org/
Gansan is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2020, 16:10   #2940
BANNED

WHO acknowledges that Covid-19 is airborne. - Link
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks