Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2020, 22:41   #2746
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
A question I've been having for some time now:

Aren't we all overreacting/panicking with this whole Covid thing? Let me explain. We have a lot more data now than we did 2 months ago.
You should have posted this in the lockdown thread .

This has been beaten to death over there and your post refuels it very well.

You will get plenty of reactions over there!.
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 22:47   #2747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
You should have posted this in the lockdown thread .
No, I don't want to get into a lockdown/no lockdown debate, it would serve no purpose and take a political hue as usual

I only wanted to discuss why there is unnecessary panic and any counter points to my reasoning!
Old 25th June 2020, 23:28   #2748
BHPian

Quote:
Aren't we all overreacting/panicking with this whole Covid thing?
We most certainly are. That is well summarized as well. The issue became that threshold of people overreacting is much higher and that leads to mass paralysis of the intellect!

You must have already read of cases (at least one on the forum itself) where non-covid patients are losing their lives due to lack of treatment for the fear of being covid-positive.

> Big chunk of the population is worrying and overreacting in the fear of the covid.

> Another big chunk is forced to worry about the above big chunk being worried and leading to paralysis of the medical system.

> Rest of the left over chunk is worried since they also have to deal with the worry of the above two chunks.

Result - the entire population is worried and overreacting (some by choice, some by force, and some by habit) EXCEPT for the career-politicians! They have 4-years more to enjoy their slumber and meanwhile have the clout to ensure they receive timely medical intervention even for things as troubling and serious as in-grown toe-nails!
Miyata is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 23:36   #2749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
And now, this:
This is not about ayurveda vs allopathy. It is a political drama being played about. The bone of contention being the owner of Patanjali & nature of ownership of Patanjali subsidiaries.

Last edited by msdivy : 25th June 2020 at 23:48.
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 06:15   #2750
BHPian

Quote:
Now coming to lockdowns, I assume this is what happens: The Government asks a group of experts - "should I lock down?"

Now the "expert" has a lot riding on his shoulders. He looks at what Wuhan did, and sees that things became better after the lockdown. He also thinks "If I suggest that a lockdown is not required, and then if things deteriorate, I will be blamed. On the other hand, if I suggest a lockdown, I am safe. If cases go up, I can say that things would have been worse without a lockdown. If things get better, then I can say that lockdown has helped". Hence, it's a no-brainer to suggest a lockdown. On the other hand, suggesting otherwise needs a lot of courage.
What you have stated above is the key to this mess, combined with the fact that a lockdown is the only solution the bureaucracy can implement, given that any other solution would require a lot more work and capability.

Anyway this discussion belongs in the lockdown thread, not here. You cannot avoid politics by wishing it away!
mvadg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 08:41   #2751
BHPian

Learn from history
Old 26th June 2020, 09:59   #2752
BHPian

Just a few quick observations about the masks I've been using :
  • Old masks are easier to breathe through, I've disinfected this particular one at least 5 times by soaking it in a handrub type alcohol based sanitizer
  • I also have a grey, cheap 3M pollution (bought years ago, but unused until now) mask that relatively easy to breathe through, though not as easy as the one above
  • A cheap surgical mask bought recently, is like the first one above
  • A cloth mask, which seems to have 2 layers is quite easy to breathe through
  • The worst one is a real N95 mask that looks like the surgical mask, but has 3 layers, welded seams and nose clip. The filter material is just permeable enough to let air through and is almost impervious to anything, let alone air. This fits badly and leaks air all around. Needless to say, this is the one I avoid wearing!
I'm in Bangalore, so heat is not a problem. I'm just wondering how our doctors and nurses wear this all the time, they deserve an award just for wearing these contraptions!

Also, shouldn't masks with valves that let out air without filtering be banned /illegal?
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 11:21   #2753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Anyway this discussion belongs in the lockdown thread, not here. You cannot avoid politics by wishing it away!
It does belong here too. This is "The Coronavirus Thread", which is a superset of the more specific lockdown thread. My reference to the lockdown is only in the footnotes, and is a consequence of the train of thought from the main point, asking why people are panicking.

I have even tried asking my question to a couple of known doctor acquaintances, and did not receive even a minimum satisfactory answer! Which makes it even more suspicious.

Last edited by PearlJam : 26th June 2020 at 11:28.
PearlJam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 11:28   #2754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
[*]Old masks are easier to breathe through, I've disinfected this particular one at least 5 times by soaking it in a handrub type alcohol based sanitizer
That is because it is much more permeable to air. And to the coronavirus. Sort of like wearing a khadi raincoat to avoid getting wet.
hserus is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 11:33   #2755
BHPian

It might have been posted earlier on the thread / forum, there's been news of methanol in some hand-sanitizers. It was a US specific news, but I presume all such issues are likely to be global.

Source

Quote:
The Food and Drug Administration has issued a warning about nine hand sanitizer products made in Mexico.

Officials say the products contain high levels of toxic methanol, which can cause blindness and even death if ingested.

Symptoms of methanol poisoning include nausea, dizziness, weakness, and visual disturbances
Earlier this week I had visited D-Mart and saw way too many brands of hand-sanitizers that I had not seen before. Anyone buying them should be cautious and preferably get a well known / reliable brand.

Best would be to make your own hand-sanitizers using either ethanol or isopropanol - cheap, reliable, trust worthy, and you would know what you are using.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 12:03   #2756
BHPian

Quote:
A question I've been having for some time now:

Aren't we all overreacting/panicking with this whole Covid thing? Let me explain. We have a lot more data now than we did 2 months ago.

If you see https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/india/, the current deaths in India stands at 15042, and positive count is 481179. We are testing around 2.1 lakh a day, and around 16000 are showing up as positive every day. As we all know, 2.1 lakhs a day is an incredibly small number relative to the size of our population.
I'll be happy to hear contrasting views!
Please read this regarding fatality rate given by the worldometer site, and the post before, which it is answering. Also please remember that this is a person who the Government is paying to provide the master plan for controlling the corona virus pandemic in India:

Quote:
Regarding the data, personally I have stopped looking at them. What I have seen, the mortality rate is definitely around 20 percent. Some ( 10 percent approx) is leaving with permanent lung damage. Others are getting cured completely.

https://techenclave.com/community/th...9/post-2196696
Old 26th June 2020, 12:16   #2757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
It might have been posted.. .
I should mention my experience with a brand named inorbit or something similar bought from Ratnadeep Supermarket. Since it was sealed, I could not smell the contents. Once I took it home and used it on my hands, I felt nauseated and could smell something like acetone and possibly other ketones. The "fragrance" was so repulsive I'm sure the virus would commit suicide if it could smell it. Needless to say I returned it and ordered one called Stericlean from Amazon (www.amazon.in/dp/B085MH1DLX), reasonably good.

I've blended my own concoction with Biotique Aloe Vera sanitizer and isopropyl alcohol to create a rub. I think even some of the cheaper colognes like Old Spice are better than most hand sanitizers - if in doubt add isopropyl alcohol!
mvadg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 12:29   #2758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
Please read this regarding fatality rate given by the worldometer site, and the post before, which it is answering. Also please remember that this is a person who the Government is paying to provide the master plan for controlling the corona virus pandemic in India:
Are you serious?

First of all, that article is 3 months old! And then, who is "red dragon"? How do you know that he is the person the Government is paying? He says "Regarding the data, personally I have stopped looking at them". Then pray, what do you look at? Yes, our data may not be the best, and it could be fudged. But we can adjust for that.

He says later "I called up the NIMHANS helpline to deal with my anxiety."> He also says "Living in denial that locking down the nation and putting millions in quarantine without testing is state sponsored systemic murder." - and this, from a person the Government is supposedly paying for the master plan .

If mortality rate was 20%, then God save all of us. There would have been dead bodies every corner of the street

Request you to not just quote some random post from the internet. Anyone could post what they want there, and refer to it as "proof".
PearlJam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 12:30   #2759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
It might have been posted earlier on the thread / forum, there's been news of methanol in some hand-sanitizers. It was a US specific news, but I presume all such issues are likely to be global.

Source
Normally a practice to mix a small amount of methanol with ethanol in products to purposely make it unfit for human consumption. And to prominently mark that. Liquor (ethanol) has extremely high taxes. Mixing methanol prevents repurposing industrial ethanol for getting high.

https://www.onmanorama.com/news/kera...in-kerala.html

Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2020, 12:39   #2760
BHPian

Quote:
Are you serious?

First of all, that article is 3 months old! And then, who is "red dragon"? How do you know that he is the person the Government is paying?

Request you to not just quote some random post from the internet. Anyone could post what they want there, and refer to it as "proof".
I've posted elsewhere he is the person who with his team pulled Spain out of the hole it dug itself into. That is where he went through the whole cycle of the pandemic. Last I heard Spain is inhabited by human beings and the data that applied 3 months ago still applies.

He goes under the same avatar on Dailyrounds and other medical forums. He has handled both the covid 19 and the Ebola epidemics in Europe and Africa, has several papers on epidemics presented to worldwide seminar audiences, is in charge of the official covid 19 program in Eastern and Central Europe. The stress he underwent in Spain led him to have suicidal tendencies, and he turned to NIMHANS, because he has great respect for the India medical ecosystem of which he is a product and beneficiary. Unlike the respect he has for the government, which is a different animal, and with justified basis, seeing how it tied down ICMR.

Last edited by proton : 26th June 2020 at 12:41.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks