Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2020, 16:25   #2671
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
How long to mass production of the antibodies if found effective? Can facilities used for manufacturing other such antibodies be used? Just questions that the video did not answer.
As per the new study published on Thursday in Nature Medicine. One May Have Antibodies After Coronavirus Infection. But Not for Long.

It’s a question that has haunted scientists since the pandemic began: Does everyone infected with the virus produce antibodies — and if so, how long do they last?

Not very long, suggests a new study published Thursday in Nature Medicine. Antibodies — protective proteins made in response to an infection — may last only two to three months, especially in people who never showed symptoms while they were infected.

The conclusion does not necessarily mean that these people can be infected a second time, several experts cautioned. Even low levels of powerful neutralizing antibodies may still be protective, as are the immune system’s T cells and B cells.

But the results offer a strong note of caution against the idea of “immunity certificates” for people who have recovered from the illness, the authors suggested.

Antibodies to other coronaviruses, including those that cause SARS and MERS, are thought to last about a year. Scientists had hoped that antibodies to the new virus might last at least as long.

Several studies have now shown that most people who are visibly ill with Covid-19 develop antibodies to the virus, although it has been unclear how long those antibodies last. The new study is the first to characterize the immune response in asymptomatic people
The researchers compared 37 asymptomatic people to an equal number who had symptoms in the Wanzhou District of China. The investigators found that asymptomatic people mount a weaker response to the virus than those who develop symptoms.

Antibody levels fell to undetectable levels in 40 percent of asymptomatic people, compared with just 13 percent of symptomatic people.

The sample size is small, however, and the researchers did not take into account protection offered by immune cells that may fight the virus on their own or make new antibodies when the virus invades.

Source :https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/h...ntibodies.html
tj123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 17:03   #2672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
As...
My question was with regards to the production of synthetic antibodies or clones of antibodies mentioned in the video in a "factory" or some other mass production lab. These antibodies would be injected into those infected to help fight the infection.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 18:07   #2673
Senior - BHPian

BIG breaking:

Glenmark pharma has got approval and finally launched it's anti COVID medicine based on Favipiravir. Named FabiFlu.

Tablets have to be taken orally for 14 days course. Works well for mild to moderate form of disease.

More details here.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/pti/g...103-per-tablet

https://www.livemint.com/companies/n...640340211.html

Last edited by DCEite : 20th June 2020 at 18:11.
DCEite is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2020, 19:29   #2674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

Glenmark pharma has got approval and finally launched it's anti COVID medicine based on Favipiravir. Named FabiFlu...

Don't be too excited. This drug is presently not approved for any use in USA or Europe. It's approved in China for treatment of influenza, which is an entirely different virus.
As part of the search for an effective treatment against Corona virus, it's now in clinical trials worldwide.

Indian pharmaceutical companies decided to focus on this as it's off patent and hence easier to manufacture compared to the other drug in spotlight namely remdesivir.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th June 2020 at 21:22. Reason: Broken quote tags.
Sree is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 19:56   #2675
BHPian

I live close to an indoor stadium in Chennai where they setup beds about a month back. I noticed they cleared up and removed the beds today. So whats the real picture, are the infections not that potent and that home quarantine is now the preferred approach?
diyguy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 23:33   #2676
BHPian

A good, short read. Good analysis - although by now much of it is largely 'common sense'

An analysis of three Covid-19 outbreaks: how they happened and how they can be avoided

Quote:
An office, a restaurant and a bus were the settings for multiple infections that have been studied in detail by health authorities. Their conclusions offer valuable lessons for the deescalation process
Quote:
The permanent contact within the same space over a prolonged period of time played a crucial role.

only three people tested positive out of 927 who underwent checks (0.3%) despite the fact they shared lobbies, elevators and other communal areas.

Despite the considerable interaction between workers from different floors of the building in the elevators and the lobby, the spread of the virus was largely confined to that one space filled with employees sitting at desks, “indicating that the duration of the interaction (or contact) was probably the main facilitator for extensive infection

time plus social proximity multiplies the risks. Length of time is critical.

it is vital to prevent overcrowding and provide good ventilation in buildings and public transportation to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2

insist on avoiding recirculating air, as well as holding activities outside whenever possible.
Name:  Picture1.png
Views: 1211
Size:  135.0 KB

Source
Miyata is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 08:19   #2677
Distinguished - BHPian

A good example of why you should NOT blindly accept news reports:

https://www.deccanherald.com/state/m...ne-851180.html

The article states twice that Dexamethasone is being considered as a 'possible vaccine' which is completely WRONG! A vaccine has to contain either inactive or live virus components and Dex is a steroid. Dex is being considered to help covid patients with serious respiratory issues but is not a cure or a vaccine. As a matter of fact, steroids can actually reduce the effectiveness of vaccines! Yet the article confidently states that this steroid is being considered as a vaccine! Obviously the journalist was lazy and wrote up whatever they understood without even doing basic checks about what a vaccine is.

Sad that even respected newspapers are getting basic science wrong. No wonder the general public is so misinformed and whatsapp rubbish multiplies this sort of inaccuracy.

Last edited by am1m : 22nd June 2020 at 08:23.
am1m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 10:51   #2678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree View Post
Don't be too excited. This drug is presently not approved for any use in USA or Europe. It's approved in China for treatment of influenza, which is an entirely different virus.
As part of the search for an effective treatment against Corona virus, it's now in clinical trials worldwide.

Indian pharmaceutical companies decided to focus on this as it's off patent and hence easier to manufacture compared to the other drug in spotlight namely remdesivir.
Well Favipiravir is also approved by Russian ministry of health, following promising results. One news report says that it cuts the recovery time of Covid patients by 50%. In India, according to a statement by the company which launched this drug, it can cause a rapid reduction in viral load within 4 days. It has also shown clinical improvement of up to 88% in COVID-19 mild to moderate COVID 19 cases.

Remdesivir is gaining more momentum because of the pharma-Politico nexus. The drug is exorbitantly priced and was invented by a big pharma company based in US, but was found to be only marginally effective in treating Covid-19. Moreover, it has to be given intravenously (as against Favipiravir which can be given as Oral tablets), which means more pressure on hospitals.

Last edited by DCEite : 22nd June 2020 at 10:59.
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 13:22   #2679
AZT
BHPian

Top 10 Covid-19 donations with the percentage of their Net Worth. Good to see an Indian on the list

The Coronavirus Thread-30c1fb18eed2469fb8c0d8e3bc0bfb3e.png
Old 22nd June 2020, 14:47   #2680
Senior - BHPian

The FabiFlu website is live now:

http://fabiflu.in/

Related discussion:

Last edited by DCEite : 22nd June 2020 at 14:57.
Old 22nd June 2020, 16:21   #2681
BHPian

Does anyone know how to find a COVID Testing center near me? My brother has been recommended to get a COVID Test done and I am located in Borivali (west), Mumbai. I asked private labs but most are no longer doing the tests as they are not allowed they say. In Mumbai, I got names of following Authorized Labs...

SRL Diagnostics (nearest is Goregaon)
Suburban (nearest is Andheri)
Metropolis (they used to take samples until last week but are no longer doing tests)

Even the BMC Medical Advisor gave me the above 2 names (Metropolis and Suburban).
My brother has been told to do another set of blood tests for almost everything Vidal, Typhoid, Malaria, Dengue, Blood Culture and what not as he has been having fever since last 6 days. He doesn't have any other symptoms of COVID as such.
He did get drenched in rain for 2 days back to back (like actually played badminton in rain).
His WBC count is on the lower end of the spectrum (still more than what is minimum required).

I am unable to find any reliable and up to date resource online which says where all tests are being conducted. Trying to find something closest to me.

Last edited by raksrules : 22nd June 2020 at 16:22.
Old 22nd June 2020, 19:28   #2682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
My brother has been told to do another set of blood tests for almost everything Vidal, Typhoid, Malaria, Dengue, Blood Culture and what not as he has been having fever since last 6 days.
https://techenclave.com/community/th...1/post-2202527
Old 22nd June 2020, 19:57   #2683
BHPian

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...06.20.161323v1

A new mutant which is not covered by the immunity produced by an earlier infection
Old 22nd June 2020, 20:19   #2684
BHPian

]Well Favipiravir is also approved by Russian ministry of health, following promising results.

Russia has approved Avifavir. Favipavir approved only in China and India for covid.

One news report says that it cuts the recovery time of Covid patients by 50%. In India, according to a statement by the company which launched this drug, it can cause a rapid reduction in viral load within 4 days. It has also shown clinical improvement of up to 88% in COVID-19 mild to moderate COVID 19 cases.

That's not how drugs come into the market. Efficacy needs to be proved in clinical trials. Not enough if just a company says that it is useful. Last time I checked, glenmark-phar launched a clinical trial on may 20. On June 20, it was approved by the Indian regulator. I am unable to see the results published anywhere.

Remdesivir is gaining more momentum because of the pharma-Politico nexus. The drug is exorbitantly priced and was invented by a big pharma company based in US, but was found to be only marginally effective in treating Covid-19.

Agree partly

Moreover, it has to be given intravenously (as against Favipiravir which can be given as Oral tablets), which means more pressure on hospitals

Fully agree
Old 22nd June 2020, 20:27   #2685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I am unable to find any reliable and up to date resource online which says where all tests are being conducted. Trying to find something closest to me.
Situation on the ground is very bad. I actually realised the same when I tried getting my test done. Most of the private hospitals listed online are not doing it anymore. Government agencies involved in the management are absolutely clueless and operating exactly like you expect a Government agency to operate.

Booked one through Netmeds, they allocated it to Metropolis, no action at their end. Then finally managed to get it done through Klinikapp. Home collection, online report in 3 days.

I am based out of the Delhi-NCR, please check if they offer their services in Mumbai region also.

PS: I tested negative.
BANDHAV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks