Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2020, 10:54   #2581
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Asymptomatic spread of coronavirus is 'very rare,' WHO says
WHO also said that human to human transmission has not been seen. So I'll take this with a bag of salt and not only pinch of salt as you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Not sure if this is the correct thread.. if not , pls move it.
Query regarding driving through KA to KL from MH. What are the rules for people driving in personal vehicle from Mumbai to Cochin and transiting through KA? Any one did this recently?
This is the link for discussion here. Link (Interstate travel with the Covid-19 restrictions)
BoneCollector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 12:10   #2582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I read in TN about 80% of new cases diagnosed every day are asymptomatic.
Old 9th June 2020, 12:35   #2583
Senior - BHPian

Over 5 lakh cases in Delhi alone by 31st July - Delhi Govt.

This indeed sounds scary but as far as I understand things now, we already might have these many cases. It's only a matter of time when they will get reported through tests.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 13:19   #2584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

This indeed sounds scary but as far as I understand things now, we already might have these many cases. It's only a matter of time when they will get reported through tests.
Yes 5 lacs we would have already crossed. Most patients are asymptomatic and have been infected and recovered silently.

https://www.news18.com/news/india/ne...y-2660195.html

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...984-2020-06-09

Are we moving towards Herd immunity in hotspots like Delhi and Maharasthra ? Only time will tell.
Old 9th June 2020, 13:44   #2585
BHPian

On a lighter note, saw this on my Kindle and immediately felt safer

The Coronavirus Thread-corona_chacha.jpg
DigitalOne is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 14:05   #2586
AZT
BHPian

Novel coronavirus may have been spreading in China in August, Harvard research indicates
Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - The novel coronavirus might have been spreading in China as early as August 2019, according to Harvard Medical School research based on satellite images of hospital travel patterns and search engine data.
The research used high-resolution satellite imagery of hospital parking lots in Wuhan - where the disease emerged in late 2019 - and data for symptom-related queries on search engines for things such as “cough” and “diarrhoea”.
“Increased hospital traffic and symptom search data in Wuhan preceded the documented start of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic in December 2019,” according to the research.

“While we cannot confirm if the increased volume was directly related to the new virus, our evidence supports other recent work showing that emergence happened before identification at the Huanan Seafood market.”
Source: https://in.reuters.com/article/healt...-idINKBN23G0OA
Old 9th June 2020, 16:35   #2587
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
On a lighter note, saw this on my Kindle and immediately felt safer

I bought it too. Didn't realise that Chacha Chaudhary was still in print. There was a "Chacha Chaudhary and Surgical Strikes" also, but that was Rs 215. Would have bought it a two digit price.

Edit: Please avoid. It is horrible.

Last edited by Eddy : 9th June 2020 at 17:03.
Eddy is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 17:08   #2588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I read in TN about 80% of new cases diagnosed every day are asymptomatic.
How would they know? I didn't think there was general mass testing, only of suspected cases.

Old 9th June 2020, 17:15   #2589
Senior - BHPian

I've started working since May 20...I'm a health worker in the region where the Corona resides, I've to wear a PPE to protect myself and with face shield on it's difficult to breath over 2 masks. Have people to check every persons temperature, dispense sanitizer, have to sanitize (use surface disinfectant) the seats and other touch points where clients sit, have reduced the number of seats in the wait room to four, no upholstered fabric seats: only plastic chairs and seats, easier to clean and sanitize, no A/C. I have reduced my hours of work to 2 (yes two hours) a day; not to say the least "income" has plummeted my rental income has all but evaporated. When I'm done I'm drenched in sweat, I disrobe, go home bathe in water laced with Dettol then I hydrate myself with either buttermilk or plain chilled water. On top of this I got a call from my CA today saying my Advance Tax due falls on June 15th, I gave him a piece of my mind

Last edited by Durango Dude : 9th June 2020 at 17:18.
Durango Dude is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 18:24   #2590
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

The situation in Delhi seems to be getting from bad to worse. Come across several videos on a daily basis now of desperate cries of help. By family members who aren't able to get medical attention in time. Some of the people eventually lose this battle.

Don't know what the ground reality is. It is heartbreaking to see people not being able to get any help. I don't know if it's a political issue now or a capacity issue, or a moral issue (apathy, profiteering).

I can just pray for Delhi right now. I hope people themselves start social distancing to arrest some of this community spread, even without Govt. orders.
Dry Ice is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 09:12   #2591
BHPian

On the topic of HCQ, it has shown inconsistent results in patients admitted at our hospital. Caused significant reversal of the pathology in some whereas inert effect on others. However, it is still banked upon by the Indian critical care intensivists and is endorsed more so for the pre exposure prophylaxis.
vivek95 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 18:12   #2592
Senior - BHPian

I have a question. Perhaps medical professionals or epidemiologist might be able to answer.

There are total of 7.04M total infections as of today all over the world.

The infection started worldwide somewhere in February.

My question is very simple. Out of these 7.04 patients, many of them have recovered.

Has there been even a single case of a patient being reinfected and again shown symptoms after full recovery ? Not talking about false positives or limitations of PCR test.

If No, then what's stopping WHO from declaring that a person develops immunity to second infection ?

And the fact that Herd immunity is applicable for COVID-19 ?

Last edited by DCEite : 10th June 2020 at 18:13.
Old 10th June 2020, 19:20   #2593
Distinguished - BHPian

If you got a cold, and didn't get another one for four or five months, would you declare yourself immune to colds? It would be far too soon, even without your prior knowledge that you had had them before. Maybe a better example would be ask if you ever had flu twice in six months?

Added to this, is it really the WHO's job to tell us that immunity happens after infection? And, if it is, should they base that on some statistics suggesting that something is possible, or on real medical research?

I think your questions should come up for consideration this time next year. And this mythical herd immunity, much beloved as a straw for politicians to clutch at, maybe next decade.
Old 10th June 2020, 20:14   #2594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Src: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asym...-who-says.html

Note: since this is coming from WHO it is prudent to take this with a pinch of salt.
As expected:

WHO retracts comment saying asymptomatic cases rarely spread coronavirus

https://www.indiatoday.in/world/stor...442-2020-06-10

...WHO's emergencies chief, Dr Michael Ryan, said "both symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals are part of the transmission cycle" but that it was unclear how much each contributed to disease spread.
Old 10th June 2020, 21:04   #2595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
As expected:

WHO retracts comment saying asymptomatic cases rarely spread coronavirus

https://www.indiatoday.in/world/stor...442-2020-06-10

...WHO's emergencies chief, Dr Michael Ryan, said "both symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals are part of the transmission cycle" but that it was unclear how much each contributed to disease spread.
I feel WHO is acting like a paper-pusher/excel manager/messenger/translator these days. Always getting egg on their face when they open their mouth. I feel USA and Brasil were right in pulling out funding. Their handling on this entire pandemic including PR or assistance is laughable at best and criminal waste of money at worst.
If India is also finding them, we should stop and divert it towards our healthcare asap
akhil_007 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks