Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2020, 11:02   #2431
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
That's not true at all! Nope.
No, no. That IS true in the transmission of this disease. Yes.
If you're going back to swine flu etc, then it's not. But for this....yes.
mayankk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 13:14   #2432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Here's a very guarded article about dogs and cats catching the virus and cats spreading it to other cats.
NEWS 01 April 2020 Coronavirus can infect cats — dogs, not so much

Here's another one about original SARS-COV
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3323218/

This is why I said, that the media is strangely silent about cats and dogs. Granted that they are not spreading them like humans, but research is very limited. Cats are reservoirs and shed the virus. When we discuss bats, pangolins, civets, camels and their potential to spread the virus, I see nothing wrong in bringing up dogs and cats to the mix. It's my belief that we have a blind spot when it comes to pets, and rational people need to consider the possibility of them being intermediaries. The press and the "authorities" lied to us about masks, so I don't trust them completely.
You are confusing your beliefs with rational facts. Your beliefs about pets have nothing to do with CURRENTLY AVAILABLE facts which conclusively prove that dogs and cats DO NOT transmit COVID19 virus to humans. Anything else is just superfluous fluff bordering on conspiracy theories and frankly has no place in this thread.
digitalnirvana is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 15:10   #2433
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks. Now shall we discuss the mysterious media silence of balls of string? What are they hiding from us?

Yes, I know that there has been a recorded instance of a cat contracting the virus, and also of tigers (I think? or lions) in an American zoo catching it. And... frankly, I do not understand how the virus can move to them, assuming they caught it from humans, but not back again, although that is what "science" has said.

I have three cats. I have not changed my interaction with them in any way, as I think the risk to be close to non-existent. And I speak as a guy who knows the risk of going out there on the street is actually small, but I am currently not taking it.

What I would consider a possible path of infection is the secret life of cats. Nobody knows how many houses their outdoor cats visit: they are never going to tell us. So if someone holds my cat, and a few minutes later I hold my cat...

Of course, this is potentially true of every item passed hand to hand. Including balls of string.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
You are confusing your beliefs with rational facts. Your beliefs about pets have nothing to do with CURRENTLY AVAILABLE facts which conclusively prove that dogs and cats DO NOT transmit COVID19 virus to humans. Anything else is just superfluous fluff bordering on conspiracy theories and frankly has no place in this thread.
Or, to put it concisely: "Yes."
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 17:33   #2434
Distinguished - BHPian

Some good news coming in from Bangladesh, where they experimented with Ivermection and Doxycycline on Covid patients and all 60 patients recovered within 4 days.

https://www.firstpost.com/health/ban...s-8381321.html

We need something as simple as this to help solve this crisis and both these drugs are very easily available and quite cheap.
But will this simple solution fit the hidden agenda of big pharma in making big money from this crisis - No!
They may try to sell their own expensive solutions like remdesivir or the vaccine that Moderna is working on. Pharma and healthcare have really been driven by vested interests recently and they try to make money from people's misery. Imagine the kind of money which a big pharma company would make if they come out with a vaccine first - Billions of dollars!

Last edited by Behemoth : 19th May 2020 at 17:39.
Behemoth is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 18:21   #2435
Team-BHP Support

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
3+1 (3 Passengers and 1 Driver) allowed per car. Wearing a mask is mandatory though.
If all the passengers in the car are family, why should they all wear masks? I am not able to understand that.

Prolonged mask usage is very bad for the health, unless they are the kind worn by medical staff. It reduces oxygen intake and cause all kind of issues.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/driver-cra...ry?id=70346532

Last edited by Samurai : 19th May 2020 at 19:10.
Samurai is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 19:46   #2436
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
. And... frankly, I do not understand how the virus can move to them, assuming they caught it from humans, but not back again, although that is what "science" has said.
)
First animal infections came up in the Netherlands a few days ago:

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/coro...rlands-2229637

Quote:
Dutch authorities on Friday reported the country's first coronavirus case in a dog and infections in three cats, but said chances of contamination through pets were minimal.
The eight-year-old bulldog belonged to a COVID-19 patient and appeared to have been infected by its owner, Dutch Agriculture Minister Carola Schouten said.

The dog was put down at the end of April.

The three cats were found at a mink farm where the mink were found to have coronavirus in April.

"In all cases, we see that pets do not infect people," but the other way around, Schouten was quoted as saying by the Dutch ANP news agency.
Apparently the minks / ferrets are a species known for getting all sort of (human) viruses. And mink farm have had their share of Corona infections already in the last couple of weeks.

We have a cat, but my son and his partner have a pet ferret! They make very nice pets actually.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 20:25   #2437
BHPian

Some fitness centre related observations -

Quote:
Intense physical exercise in densely populated sports facilities could increase risk for infection. Vigorous exercise in confined spaces should be minimized during outbreaks.
And in another news, 70 cases of COVID-19 at French schools days after re-opening -

Quote:
Just one week after a third of French children went back to school in an easing of the coronavirus lockdown, there’s been a worrying flareup of about 70 COVID-19 cases linked to schools
As more news pours in from various countries, I think a common consensus will build towards the schools being among the last to be formally operational like in the pre-covid days.

Those planning on hitting the public gyms may need to be extra cautious and possibly delay it further if you can.
Miyata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 09:39   #2438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Coronavirus vaccine from Moderna shows early signs of viral immune response

Link
Explainer on the technique used by Moderna, and others (including Indian efforts at developing a vaccine).

Old 20th May 2020, 11:11   #2439
BHPian

In the above video, mRNA is messenger RNA, not modified RNA as he mentions.
vivek95 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 14:22   #2440
BHPian

If anybody is planning to acquire immunity by contracting the virus, be careful. Many Covid survivors seems to have permanent damages to their lungs and kidneys.

https://www.thehealthsite.com/news/l...ection-745713/

By the time we have acquired herd immunity we might have more lung and kidney patients to deal with.
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 14:22   #2441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
First animal infections came up in the Netherlands a few days ago:

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/coro...rlands-2229637
I put up the above only yesterday. Today this has taken a new twist:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...KBN22V3A1?il=0

So there is evidence, or at least a very strong suspicion that the virus was transferred from the mink/ferret to a human. They maintain the chances of getting infected are minimal.

The Dutch news mentions that the minister has ordered further investigations and they will be looking at pigs as well.

Jeroen
Old 20th May 2020, 17:31   #2442
BHPian

Help needed from Mumbai Doctor members here.

A covid positive patient central govt employee 57 yrs living in Chembur unable to get admission in any hospital in Mumbai from last two days due to lack of bed at hospitals. All Hospitals said they will call once they have beds.

I am providing the link of Twitter as that's where I saw it & i do not know them.

Posting here for visibility. If inappropriate can be taken down.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MalwaniOn...53354168578048
Old 20th May 2020, 19:32   #2443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

The Dutch news mentions that the minister has ordered further investigations and they will be looking at pigs as well.

Jeroen
Found the following when I was trying to find information about SARS-COV2 and animals (I'm posting it as is without interpreting any of it). The article is attached as a PDF file.
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-ace2sarscov2animalsgr1_lrg.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Predicting ACE2 utilizing capability as the receptor of SARS-CoV-2.pdf (1.61 MB, 127 views)
Old 20th May 2020, 20:08   #2444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
...information about SARS-COV2 and animals
The one most sought out detail is surprisingly missing. What about Dogs!

Name:  Screenshot 20200520 at 20.05.09.png
Views: 602
Size:  208.1 KB
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 20:58   #2445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Help needed from Mumbai Doctor members here.

A covid positive patient central govt employee 57 yrs living in Chembur unable to get admission in any hospital in Mumbai from last two days due to lack of bed at hospitals. All Hospitals said they will call once they have beds.

I am providing the link of Twitter as that's where I saw it & i do not know them.

Posting here for visibility. If inappropriate can be taken down.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MalwaniOn...53354168578048
Update on this case. Just got information that patient has been accepted at Shatabdi Hospital Chembur today pm.

Inspite of the case load, things are moving in Mumbai.
ritz3645 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks