Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2020, 18:30   #2386
BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

If you clean teeth, cut hair, serve food or work with kids, your job is considered high risk for COVID-19 contact, study suggests

Had two pending things on my to-do list: The annual dental cleanup and the hair cut that's been pending for a while now.

Will have to wait for the opportune moment for both.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 19:14   #2387
BHPian

Also, the sad thing is that instead of increasing ICU facilities for the critically ill at a war footing, the govts have been busy creating facilities for the moderately ill till now.
rdst_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 19:55   #2388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
If you clean teeth, cut hair, serve food or work with kids, your job is considered high risk for COVID-19 contact, study suggests

Had two pending things on my to-do list: The annual dental cleanup and the hair cut that's been pending for a while now.

Please buy a high quality hair clipper from Phillips with self sharpening blades. These last you a lifetime. I've been cutting my own hair since 2014 with one of these. All I do is that I set the hair length to 1 inch and keep running the clipper until no strands of hair exceed the set length of 1 inch (i.e., the point when no more hair gets cut)
locusjag is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 20:14   #2389
BHPian

I am getting the feeling that this crisis will not disappear or show seasonal waves due to large scale testing and media attention. In old pandemics, we might have thought it has started to wane as we didn’t test as many people like we are doing now. If we were not testing willy nilly, we would have even assumed that we didn’t have any epidemic in India except a bit in Bombay and Ahmedabad. In the past epidemics, most of the deaths wouldn’t have been attributed to Covid either as we would have focused only on deaths due to respiratory illness. Hence we might not see a seasonal downturn as even though most new cases are asymptotic, we keep increasing testing to detect them. No one would have declared an epidemic in 1918 with around 500 deaths across India in 2 months.
Lobogris is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 20:46   #2390
BHPian

Quote:

Buy yourself a haircut machine and do it on your own.

I bought a Wahl model haircut machine on Amazon last mth, for about 1.5K; and already used it on myself once. I plan to use it myself for the next 12 mths and avoid saloons, until this Covid risk is assessed to be negligible.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 22:43   #2391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Please buy a high quality hair clipper from Phillips with self sharpening blades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Buy yourself a haircut machine and do it on your own.
Thanks guys. I was a bit apprehensive in the beginning mostly from the experiments a few had posted here that seemingly did not go well.

Could you both also please share/PM the models you are using? I would certainly prefer the tried and tested models. Will give it a go and check the results. One less thing to worry about as far as the potential sources of nCov infections is concerned!

Much thanks.
Old 16th May 2020, 23:04   #2392
BHPian

Quote:
Could you both also please share/PM the models you are using?
Wahl 9243-4724 is the specific model I bought.
vharihar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 06:15   #2393
BHPian

Hi All,

Travelled from Chennai to Hyderabad on 16th May and posted the details here so that it might help some one here :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4805848 (Anyone in need of an Emergency Traffic Pass?)
bvasista is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 06:41   #2394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvasista View Post
Hi All,

Travelled from Chennai to Hyderabad on 16th May and posted the details here so that it might help some one here :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ml#post4805848 (Anyone in need of an Emergency Traffic Pass?)
Is FASTag working at toll plazas during this period? (Am asking because that's one way to avoid interaction with the outside world at toll plaza on the present circumstances, as opposed to giving/exchanging money)

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th May 2020 at 07:01. Reason: bcoz > because.
Old 17th May 2020, 07:01   #2395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Is FASTag working at toll plazas during this period? (Am asking because that's one way to avoid interaction with the outside world at toll plaza on the present circumstances, as opposed to giving/exchanging money)
Yes, Fastag is working at the tolls.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 07:42   #2396
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, FASTags are working but in the 6 tolls I have passed on NH5, only 2 lanes are open. So there was some wait time in traffic to pass through. On NAM expressway FASTags are not applicable since the roads are by R&B(as told by operator)
bvasista is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 11:11   #2397
Team-BHP Support

I am very surprised to find that the most vulnerable demograph is 21-40 years of age. This is the data for India from https://www.covid19india.org/deepdive

The Coronavirus Thread-fullscreen-capture-17052020-110706.bmp.jpg
Samurai is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 11:18   #2398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am very surprised to find that the most vulnerable demograph is 21-40 years of age.
Not surprising at all. They are the ones most out and about to handle all the outdoor work and activities! Many of them might not even have serious enough conditions.

The fraction that succumb to the covid would be the most vulnerable - that, I guess, would mostly be higher age groups (sr citizens).
Miyata is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 12:46   #2399
Distinguished - BHPian

Amid political differences in handling the Pandemic, Brazil has more virus deaths than all region combined ( S America)

Brazil overtakes Spain, Italy in COVID-19 cases

Brazil now has the fourth-largest coronavirus outbreak in the world, surpassing former epicenter Italy in the number of confirmed cases.

Quote:
Health Minister Nelson Teich resigned after less than a month in office because of disagreements with Bolsonaro's relax approach to fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.
Quote:
the number of coronavirus infections in Brazil has risen to 222,877 while it registered a daily record of 13,944 new cases on Thursday.
Quote:
A total of 15,633 people have died due to the coronavirus in the country so far
Quote:
Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, however, continues to put pressure on state governors and mayors to immediately ease lockdowns and reopen the economy.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th May 2020 at 12:48.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 18:02   #2400
Distinguished - BHPian

The ground water situation in parts of Chennai is getting worse again. Washing one's hands frequently will not be sustainable very soon.

The saddest thing perhaps about the Coronavirus episode is that it has probably upended the National Ground Water Scheme that our PM had intended to start implementing soon. India's ground water situation may not get ameliorated as planned.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks