Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2020, 08:58   #1636
BANNED

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
I guess folks here might have seen these numbers being put out in multiple platforms and formats. Excuse me for adding it from this side, possibly yet another time and to also further motivate smokers on the forum to add one more incentive to their quit-smoking resolve -

The study has also been contested by some people - https://twitter.com/TrevorSutcliffe/...60059349757953 who say that smokers are more protected.
Old 3rd April 2020, 09:39   #1637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
We might already be in stage 3, authorities might be in denial to prevent a panic.
Panic for economy, certainly not for people. If disclosed , people would become more careful I think. They might start to follow strict lockdown.

It's better to be scared if we care for our elders and kids. For economy, a few lakh population loss would not mean anything. But, its the people who will have to bear the emotion, not the govt.
turbo_delight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 09:54   #1638
Distinguished - BHPian

As summer sets it, the load of acs would also start and any faults in the system would also not get resolved quickly. I hope I am not over reacting, but delivery of essential services may also become a challenge soon if the lockdown continues. Already many people are struggling to get bottled water in many cities and basic supplies.

India's power output is still predominantly dependent on thermal - coal fired power plants (70%) and if mining and transportation of coal stops/ is reduced the power output will drop drastically. The nuclear , Hydro, Wind and solar may still continue to operate but that would only be 30% power and this power would need to be diverted to hospitals and essential services. So there is a big risk of power shortages in the next few days and possibly months.
Proactively I feel we all need to reduce our power consumption drastically starting now.

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd April 2020 at 14:38. Reason: Quoted post deleted, edited accordingly
Behemoth is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:16   #1639
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, let us stay positive on the relaxation of lockdown mainly because on yesterday :

- Reports confirmed IRCTC taking bookings beyond 14th April
- Flight bookings also possible now from 15th April (no official statement though)

This comes after the center clearly indicating that the lockdown beyond 14th will not be extended and also that it needs to be relaxed in a careful and staggered manner across the states following a protocol. More than the lockdown, the relaxation should be something to worry because it is obvious that most of our Junta will surely need a breather from being locked in their homes and more so start earning back their bread. The sudden rush and mass hysteria associated with this "independence" would be dangerous.

We must only hope that after April 14th, social distancing measures stay in place till we see a considerable reduction in the number of cases reported. At the same time, extensive testing continues like there is no tomorrow and we are able to locate and contain the spread further. The virus isn't going anywhere and is here to stay but the pandemic must be arrested.

I also hope that post lockdown, we will see less posts on all these threads on Coronavirus as most of us will start appreciating traffic jams and bad drivers on regular basis after that!

Stay safe guys and whenever you get an opportunity, please educate the less informed about the spread and how to stay safe from it because my experience of dealing with supermarket store staff or apartment housekeeping or vegetable vendors hints at the common fact that most are grossly misinformed about this pandemic (that it certainly kills them if infected). Primary reason for this are local news channels that mostly broadcast negative news than anything positive.

Educate them all about the difference between "Self quarantined" and "Infected". Educate about the importance of washing hands with liquid soap (many still think Sanitizsers are a must), further educate as to how it spreads. Educate them about symptoms and recovery.

After all, this is the least that everyone of us can do.
paragsachania is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:33   #1640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Proactively I feel we all need to reduce our power consumption drastically starting now.
Industrial demand is totally down and as a result we are getting 24 hours 3 phase supply in farms in this summer and you are worried about supply disruption?

Also we are running out of space to store oil.

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd April 2020 at 14:40. Reason: Quoted post edited, references removed accordingly
ramzsys is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:35   #1641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijai View Post
It's right under latest updates on https://mohfw.gov.in
There is a link. But are you able to see any state-wise figures? I can't.
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:38   #1642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Industrial demand is totally down and as a result we are getting 24 hours 3 phase supply in farms in this summer and you are worried about supply disruption?
Exactly what I too was thinking. Factories, offices, multiplex and malls are shut. Imagine the power consumption from these.

Even trains on electrified routes are not running except freight.

This is also applicable to water. Car wash centers, Restaurants and Hotels, malls and office spaces, airports, railway stations and bus stations : These are some of the highest consumers of water on a day to day basis (I am not even going to industries) and 21 days of lockdown means a lot of water is saved. This also means one cannot compare additional water or electricity used by working or staying at home which will be miniscule when compared to the bigger consumers of water and power.
paragsachania is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:44   #1643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Yes, I can.
The Coronavirus Thread-annotation-20200403-104046.png

P.S: 2 pages back, I have put a link for an individual developed (by me ) dashboard. Maybe that can help you for now. Mods: Sorry if this is an example of bad self advert.

P.P.S: The website is free of ads or any monetary benefit, promotes nothing. The only gain for me is satisfaction in developing it.

Last edited by vijai : 3rd April 2020 at 11:11.
vijai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 10:58   #1644
Team-BHP Support

New York state is the most affected state in the world. That state alone has 92,000 positive cases. The brother of the NY Governor has also tested positive. The Governor took his brother (who is a prominent CNN anchor) in this daily briefing, so that people can understand how it feels to be infected.

Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 12:28   #1645
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It may have something to do with compatibility with the browser. On my mac, I can not see the table in Safari, but in Firefox or Opera I can.
Old 3rd April 2020, 12:30   #1646
Senior - BHPian

After a gap of a few days, the ICMR has started reporting the status of Covid-19 testing. Based on the report today morning, a total of 8300+ samples were tested yesterday. Testing is slowly being ramped up - samples tested daily used to be about 700 in early March and it was around 2500 a day about 10 days back.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 13:02   #1647
BHPian

I just came across an app called 'Arogya Setu' released by Ministry of Health which supposedly tracks your phone's location based on Bluetooth and GPS and alerts you if anyone whom you have crossed paths with has been tested positive (provided that person too had the app installed).

Sounds like a great concept to me to facilitate Contact Tracing! Here's the link to install the app if anyone is interested:

Android
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oi.aarogyasetu

iOS :
https://apps.apple.com/in/app/aarogyasetu/id1505825357

Attaching some screenshots from the app below:
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200403125920_aarogya-setu.jpg
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200403125927_aarogya-setu.jpg
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200403125930_aarogya-setu.jpg
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_20200403125934_aarogya-setu.jpg

Disclaimer: The app causes battery drain in some phones since it keeps BT and GPS on. I would recommend using the app only when you step out of the house.
nagr22 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 13:14   #1648
BHPian

Since N. India summers are extreme, & electric consumption the highest. Other reason maybe proximity to NCT Delhi, where free power being distributed to everyone.During summers hydro unit are idle for lack of water. Gurgaon/Guru gram will have to pay, for proximity to NCT-Delhi.

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd April 2020 at 14:51. Reason: Quoted post edited
ritz3645 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 13:49   #1649
Distinguished - BHPian

Gentlemen, we all have our own political views, views on political figures, views on actions taken or not taken. This is an auto site not Twitter or some other political forum. It would be my earnest request we go easy with both the content and tone of our posts from both sides of the political divide.
V.Narayan is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2020, 14:16   #1650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
Since N. India summers are extreme, & electric consumption the highest. Other reason maybe proximity to NCT Delhi, where free power being distributed to everyone.During summers hydro unit are idle for lack of water. Gurgaon/Guru gram will have to pay, for proximity to NCT-Delhi.
What are you talking about? That electricity is free in Delhi, so people are consuming more of it?
It's only free up to 200 units, 50% upto 400 units, and then full cost. Its actually driving people to watch their consumption in smaller localities. Free does not mean that Delhi folks are putting in 4 Aircons in a 100sq ft room.
Please read up on the scheme at the very least.

Last edited by vb-saan : 3rd April 2020 at 14:51. Reason: Quoted post edited
mayankk is online now   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks