Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2020, 20:03   #3136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Our hospital has treated 3000+ patients , where we have presently 450 Covid patients and 50 ICU patients. I’m currently hospitalized with Covid-19.
Get well soon doc, wishing you a speedy recovery. What you and all the selfless doctors and staff have done for the past few months demands our greatest respect. You know just wanted to share some of the observations from my side taking a cue from you:

Regarding the lockdown, you and I have always thought alike as also some of my fellow members here. During the last 120 days, have been seeing people getting their views cleared with each passing day. When during the start of the lockdown, I told people around me that cases will increase and that one should not be too paranoid about the virus, they laughed. Just that I can’t laugh back at them now !

When the fear of the virus was drilled into the minds from all possible sides, the repercussions were bound to happen. The deaths due to lack of cooperation from the hospitals at the start of the lockdown of the non covid patients is something that I will have tough time to forget.

The death of the senior doctor due to covid, who established the first private hospital in Meghalaya and the subsequent hounding after his death was a lesson in apathy. I don’t know if I have said about that incident earlier or not. The man dedicated his life to the people of Meghalaya but didn’t get a decent burial at his home. An almost inhuman thing happened some days back in Bengal when a person was not helped to get into the ambulance and he died on the road after half an hour of struggle.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/coro...nheard-2269182

Now, compare this with another incident which involves my mother. My mother stays alone in Itanagar( Arunachal Pradesh) and is stuck due to the continuos lockdown since March. I am unable to bring her up for some reasons ever since the lockdown started and is still continuing. I don’t know when I will be able to take her back to Calcutta. This morning my mother fell down while shopping and immediately two people came to help her in getting upto her feet, carried her stuff and accompanied her till home during these times.

So my belief in humanity is alive for incidents like these. I am at Calcutta and her well being is what goes through my mind everyday and yet I am not paranoid about the virus. I have told her exactly the same precautions that I take and she is happily following them. I don’t know if I am doing it right or wrong, but after going through many journals and publications and the views of my doctor friends as well as members like The Rationalist and Vivek95. I am of the view that as long as you are maintaining the basic precautions you are at your best defence and that’s completely my view.

Of course, doctors and support staff are at the heightened risks. What they are going through during the pandemic is unparalleled. I don’t want to be a cheerleader here and neither I am claiming that what I am doing is the right but cases I am sure will come down in some months. Keeping oneself fit is the least you can do now for the best defence among all other better options. Till then, keeping fingers crossed in preparation of the virus.

As someone said - Hope is a good thing, may be the best of things and no good thing ever dies and that Andy Dufresne definitely said it in The Shawshank Redemption
ABHI_1512 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 21:30   #3137
Distinguished - BHPian

When I was at school, I heard this: If everybody in the world washed their hair every day for one week, the [human] head louse would be extinct. I have no idea whether or not it is literally true, but the principle is sound. Similarly, if everybody in the world was to remain apart from each other for the requisite amount of time... where's it going to go?

Us humans are getting increasingly expert at destroying the environment of other living creatures, yet we can't manage more than a half-hearted attempt at destroying the environment of this virus. So it's still around, and likely to remain so.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 21:32   #3138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Do you think Lockdowns really help ?
Even though we have discussed enough about the merits and demerits of lockdowns, it is only now that we have this kind of stuff written after a lot of water has flown under the bridge-

https://www.google.com/amp/s/timesof...arger-picture/
Nalin1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2020, 21:52   #3139
BHPian

Mumbai sero-survey: 57% respondents in slums exposed to coronavirus,16% in residential societies.

Link

Quote:
Despite the high exposure in slums, the survey found that fatalities had not been high.
Quote:
A sero-survey conducted by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation on 6,936 people from three wards found that 57 per cent respondents in slums had been exposed to and developed antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 virus, as opposed to 16 per cent in residential societies.
This is good news. More proof that this virus is way less dangerous than it was initially thought in Feb-Mar. A similar sero survey in Delhi last week put the virus exposure figure at 23% of the population.
DigitalOne is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 12:57   #3140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Do you think Lockdowns really help ?

Its a Virus and we are in community spread. Lockdowns will only delay the inevitable, but will not prevent it.
The situation is reminiscent of a form of Pascal’s Wager, which goes like this :

Hell is a place where people who are not careful about living upright moral lives will face the consequence of their actions.

1). Realist: What if it’s not true?Then moralists would have missed out on enjoying themselves.

2) Moralist: What if it’s not true? Then my self control would have been a small price to have paid. On the other hand, if it's true, then the consequences are pretty dire for the non compliant.

To clarify on another point, the lockdown was useless when tracing was not carried out. We now have a point where tracing is pointless, we can't identify the source to stop it from causing damage. The strategy now is to lockdown at hotspots, identified by serological surveys, to relieve pressure on hospital resources, by slowing down spread. The beds must vacate before the next wave can be allowed to propagate. Protect the vulnerable, treat the infected.

On a sadder note, a close friend who was pretty blase about the pandemic, and told me to chill, has come down with the virus, it affecting his entire family. He avoided calling me till circumstances made it unavoidable. Then the alarm in his voice just broke though. In a hushed voice, he related the helplessness he felt: every case in his family differed in terms of symptoms, seriousness, treatment and recovery, even though they seemed to fall in the same category of age or health conditions. Last remark of his: please don’t take it light, avoid going out unless absolutely necessary, especially those above 65, use mask and practice social distancing when you do go out.

Last edited by proton : 29th July 2020 at 12:59.
proton is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 13:57   #3141
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone with experience booking tickets on the repatriation flights back home from Australia? Need some help with a query. A friend has been trying to return from Melbourne to Bangalore since he lost his job there a couple of months ago. Phase 5 of the flight schedule for August has a couple of flights back, but apparently already sold out. According to him there are travel agents who snap up most of the tickets and resell them at a higher cost. Didn't ask him how he knew that, but does anyone know if there will be any additional flights added based on demand. And if there is any way the Indian consulate will help? His company in Australia has been trying to contact the Indian consulate, but they are not very responsive apparently.
Old 29th July 2020, 14:06   #3142
BHPian

Forming opinions and not changing them when facts are obviously seen is called irrational and prejudice. I am not about to defend the entire lock-down fiasco. As @Proton has pointed it is the breather for the system to cope up with the surge in cases. Cases will not cease to exist when learned people have irrational beliefs and common people do not understand what social distancing is, even when it is possible.

I would give an example which happened in our family. My cousin's wedding was fixed to be held on 24th June ,the decision was made on 04th June. An hunt for wedding hall was done with no success due to the lock-down - Our family weddings usually get about 2000 guests. Then a temple was booked with 50 guest restriction - but was refused later as they learnt at least 300 guests are expected to come from the same town and the family booked a mini hall anticipating 300 guests(illegal as per govt guidelines nevertheless we are irrational). Then a stringent lock-down was imposed from 19th June onward in the district. Marriage happened on 24th June with 70 guests(40 of them above 60years of age and 25 are diabetic - 70 percentage of the wore mask but social distancing was minimal).

The grooms's maternal cousin's wife started with fever after wearing the makeup and hence did not reveal anybody till the day after the wedding. She became asymptomatic on 26th june. Her husband had fever and tested positive on 29th june and 7 others from the wedding tested positive. Over the next few weeks immediate contacts of the people who attended the wedding tested positive soon after the contact with the index 7. 3 were hospitalised with significant morbidity and 1 still remains seriously ill.

Intelligent minds can extrapolate what would have happened if there was no lockdown and 2000 people have attended the wedding. We can have reseravations about with the way it was executed but should cut the slack for things which cannot be established by imagination and prejudice only.

Me being involved in Teleconsultation, Opd fever clinics, Inpatient care(inclusive of ICU care) can see a significant reduction in the pressure for beds towards the end and after the recently ended lockdown. My opinions are shaped by the facts I learn. As Thad sir says famously most of us get away with our opinions, like the drivers on the blind corners.
aadya is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 15:03   #3143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Forming opinions and not changing them when facts are obviously seen is called irrational and prejudice. I am not about to defend the entire lock-down fiasco. As @Proton has pointed it is the breather for the system to cope up with the surge in cases. Cases will not cease to exist when learned people have irrational beliefs and common people do not understand what social distancing is, even when it is possible.

Also, the authorities did whatever readiness they could achieve. In our country nothing ideal happens. The protocols/processes were setup. After the end of lock down, people not following social distancing, not wearing masks had a huge impact. You can always argue both ways and dont want to get into one
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 16:21   #3144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Mumbai sero-survey: 57% respondents in slums exposed to coronavirus,16% in residential societies.

Link
And the most critical info from the above, that you missed out to mention:

The high exposure in slums indicates that fatality rate in Mumbai may be “as low as 0.05-0.10 per cent”, instead of existing 5.5 per cent, the survey observes.
PearlJam is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 17:31   #3145
BANNED

I don't about how doctors were treating Covid patients, here we have not used PPE while dealing with Covid patients, just N95 mask and goggles/face shield. As per the 'experts' why couldn't lockdown eradicate the virus which has only 14 days infectivity period, 4 times that was the lockdown period! Every single day during lockdown the cases were increasing, and proponents are telling millions were saved! One can imagine many things. I can save more millions with banning alcohol and tobacco, that won't be imaginary numbers.

Mumbai cases have started reducing, because anyone worth a basic understanding of infection will realize herd immunity is happening. Not because of any special medicine or vaccine or increase in ventilators. The same scenario will repeat everywhere and this pandemic will end. You lockdown, you delay the end that's it. At end of lockdown Kerala had 0 cases, everyone was jumping around, now see what's the situation. Almost everyone including 'expert doctors' is forcing the government to enforce another lockdown, somehow government has realized the futility of lockdown. The health workers in Kerala are frustrated now as the end is not to be seen. I had predicted this in the closed thread on Corona, the moment you open up cases will surge. It's not because I was some brilliant guy, it was just common sense that you can't fight a Sars-nCov-2 which is a type Corona virus which causes respiratory infections. You may have reasons to support any government, I don't blame you, I am here not to defend anyone. In the 4 decades of live, I have seen enough governments to understand they are all the same, they don't mean much. If you have any doubt, you only need to go through the tweets of your favourite politicians. I'm sure none of us would make such contradictory claims in our course of life.

There is this famous story of a priest carrying a lamb and after being told by few thugs, he thinks it's a dog and let it go. The lockdown benefits are being praised so much that the burden carrying ordinary citizens will eventually start chanting the same. Even Alzheimer's patients have better memory! No wonder why you see same persons get elected for 25-40 years in a row and the constituency remain almost the same. My town has not changed much in last 30 years, but one good thing is I will never get nostalgic!
The Rationalist is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 18:07   #3146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't about how doctors were treating Covid patients, here we have not used PPE while dealing with Covid patients, just N95 mask and goggles/face shield. As per the 'experts' why couldn't lockdown eradicate the virus which has only 14 days infectivity period, 4 times that was the lockdown period! Every single day during lockdown the cases were increasing, and proponents are telling millions were saved! One can imagine many things. I can save more millions with banning alcohol and tobacco, that won't be imaginary numbers.

Mumbai cases have started reducing, because anyone worth a basic understanding of infection will realize herd immunity is happening.
Hope you are doing okay Doc. That you have talked about Herd Immunity is an alien thing for the people in positions of authority. For them herd immunity doesn’t exist, community transmission which already happened doesn’t exist for them. Everyone is busy suppressing numbers and finding ways to not let the numbers come out.

And that bit about Alzheimer’s certainly is a trait that is well exploited by the regimes. Otherwise people should have called the bluff they were subjected too while announcement of the lockdown was made but then my 4 decades of existence also tells me that this will be let go too and it’s not even 120 days !!

P.S- On another note, it was reassuring to find a doctor not using a PPE kit while treating patients and which goes a long way in breaking many misconceptions. Thanks for that too.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 29th July 2020 at 18:27.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 19:18   #3147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
And the most critical info from the above, that you missed out to mention:

The high exposure in slums indicates that fatality rate in Mumbai may be “as low as 0.05-0.10 per cent”, instead of existing 5.5 per cent, the survey observes.
Slums may be unhygienic. But folks who live there exert themselves in physical activities more than those in residential societies. Likely they will be less obese, less diabetic, fewer heart diseases, and less of those which are COVID-19 magnets. That would explain low mortality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
On a sadder note, a close friend who was pretty blase about the pandemic, and told me to chill, has come down with the virus, it affecting his entire family.
We need to know the source of his 'blase'. Is it because of contempt for virus or does he fully understand the risks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
Intelligent minds can extrapolate what would have happened if there was no lockdown and 2000 people have attended the wedding.
To be safe from COVID-19, avoid public closed places, avoid public ill-ventilated places, avoid public crowded places. A wedding hall combines all 3, which is a greater risk. People must be educated to take a decision on whether to stay or avoid a place.
Quote:
1) Lockdown is a foolish option.
Bangalore was locked-down from 14 July till 22 July. But there has been no reduction in daily cases, even after 6 days (which is the time taken for symptoms to appear.
Quote:
I’m currently hospitalized with Covid-19.
Wishing you a speedy recovery
msdivy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 20:17   #3148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
At end of lockdown Kerala had 0 cases, everyone was jumping around, now see what's the situation. Almost everyone including 'expert doctors' is forcing the government to enforce another lockdown, somehow government has realized the futility of lockdown.
Not the futility of lockdown: the futility of an influx of several hundred thousand persons returning home from abroad. Source: BBC Report. I often don't like BBC coverage of India, but this report looks ok.

Surely, lockdown worked. Lockdown without proper subsequent control and personally-responsible action, renders it a waste of time and effort. It seems to be a story that is also happening in European countries.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th July 2020 at 20:20.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 23:49   #3149

Does anybody know whether private hospitals are accepting cashless claims? There are conflicting reports almost on a daily basis from different parts of the country.

For instance, in Telangana, as in some other badly impacted states, Govt. passed a GO capping Covid tariffs apparently meant to prevent private hospitals from fleecing patients. Insurance firms saw an opportunity to reduce their exposure and started processing claims as per the Govt. tariffs leading to conflicts between patients and hospitals. Subsequently, Government issued another GO directing that treatment caps are not applicable in case of insurance claims.

I wonder if some of you could share your/second hand experiences on what the ground reality is in relation to cashless claims. In case if the payments were indeed made in cash, what's the reimbursement ratio (approved/claimed) for such cases?
Old 30th July 2020, 00:13   #3150
AZT
BHPian

Dr Fauci had to come out and repeat this because there’s some fake video being spread. Twitter took it down but it was shared a lot.

The Coronavirus Thread-bbfb84348d394fc2b0e8033038ffc3fc.jpeg

The Coronavirus Thread-6fb6d8e74ddd4c43a8459f826cde5d5d.jpeg

Source : https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/29/dr-f...ronavirus.html

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...umstances.aspx

Last edited by AZT : 30th July 2020 at 00:18.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks