Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2020, 14:40   #331
BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

I see more panic in India than Germany. Here in Germany at least in my region, I see it is normal life. I do not see people wearing masks and having panic mode activated. But I get lot of queries from friends in India.
When I see in the news from India and hear from friends, there is frenzy over buying masks in India. Which makes life worse for the people who actually need the mask.

If you see numbers of infections then there is lot less probability of getting that virus to you.
Old 9th March 2020, 14:44   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
The Karnataka Govt last night decided to shut down all LKG and UKG classes in Bangalore districts as a precautionary measure until further notice.
My daughter stayed back at home today and she was not a happy camper as she loves her school. My better half will have a gala time managing her the whole time ...IMO, its a good move although in the short term it disrupts one's routine.
Old 9th March 2020, 15:22   #333
Senior - BHPian

43 cases in India now. Slowly the numbers are picking up. Is this a sign of worry?

My organization still hasn't declared WFH, I am using my own car to commute for last few days ever since the Noida case was communicated.

Is it safe to travel in Metro or we should continue to use our own cars till the time the news about the virus subsides?
Old 9th March 2020, 15:26   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Is it safe to travel in Metro or we should continue to use our own cars till the time the news about the virus subsides?
Me personally, I would try and limit my exposure to public places (that includes public means of transport) as much as I can. The issue here is that even if you follow hygiene practices we can't assume the same for the rest of the general public.
Old 9th March 2020, 15:38   #335
BHPian

Personally, I think its a bit over-hyped and took Chinese Government by surprise and thats why the fatality numbers.
Some schools have closed in Bangalore. Even in my daughters' school, Nursery, LKG, UKG classes have been suspended. There is rumour that the on-going exams may also be stopped - but thats not confirmed. From my work Whatsapp group, it looks like there was a person confirmed in Whitefield area and another student from Kerala identified here in Bangalore.
Old 9th March 2020, 15:57   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Slowly the numbers are picking up. Is this a sign of worry?...
...Is it safe to travel in Metro or we should continue to use our own cars till the time the news about the virus subsides?
Well, considering we are ~1.5 billion, 43 is pretty small. So no need to worry at all, yet.
That said, prevention is the key here. Avoid public exposure as much as you can. Metro would be one such place, unless you don't have a choice.
Follow exceptional hygiene, and be cautious. There is no need to panic or press any alarm button.
Old 9th March 2020, 16:05   #337
Team-BHP Support

I don't think screening is going to help unless someone is actually down with Fever.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...ad-coronavirus
Old 9th March 2020, 16:25   #338
Oxy
BHPian

'I'm Not Sick': Mangaluru Man Who Came from Dubai With COVID-19 Symptoms Fights Staff, Flees Hospital

https://www.news18.com/news/india/im...l-2531321.html

These kind of stupid antics are definitely a cause of worry. Why can't people cooperate when needed?
Old 9th March 2020, 16:41   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Well, yes we know there is no specific cure. I am talking about treatment which will still happen for associated maladies and symptoms.
Without any cure for, eg dengue, chikungunya, etc, supportive treatment and treatment of symptoms can be given. I'm guessing (IANAD(octor)) that the same would be true for this virus.

Quote:
43 cases in India now. Slowly the numbers are picking up. Is this a sign of worry?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Well, considering we are ~1.5 billion, 43 is pretty small. So no need to worry at all, yet.
In line with my previous post, I'm not very worried by 43 in India; I'm not very worried by 1 in Tamil Nadu; I'd be concerned if I lived in a much smaller town in Kerala with 5-6 cases

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I don't think screening is going to help unless someone is actually down with Fever.
If any place is considered no-go, or rather no-come-from, then plainly they can be prevented from entering the country. Of course, they should have been prevented from flying in the first place.

Temperature scans and voluntary symptom reporting is obviously a system full of holes, innocent and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
'I'm Not Sick': Mangaluru Man Who Came from Dubai With COVID-19 Symptoms Fights Staff, Flees Hospital
Did he drive off in a Mustang?
Old 9th March 2020, 16:42   #340
Senior - BHPian

This info might be useful and the link connects to the WHO Detailed Guide on how to make Sanitizer locally.

"The COVID19 outbreak is causing panic as people hoard masks and hand sanitizers.

Lets be part of the solution! Learn how to make a hand-sanitizer.

Lets fight the infection with logic and cleanliness. Together, We can, We will!

In this world of fake news and inaccurate whatsapp forwards, lets be the change. Share the above message only WITH official source of the recipe.

World Health Organisation Guide for Local Sanitizer Production accessible here

http://bit.ly/YiKolkataFightsCorona

Forward it in your respective groups and circles and be the change you want to see."

The Coronavirus Thread-whatsapp-image-20200309-14.20.58-1.jpeg

Mods: I hope I am not breaking any rules here. But I checked the link and the information seems credible and useful.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 9th March 2020 at 16:50. Reason: Note to Mods
Old 9th March 2020, 17:48   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

This article/post to prepare hand sanitizer has been going around, but came across this today:

https://brightside.me/inspiration-he...2iS84rM7WTOxAs

so not sure if the sanitizer will help ?

The more tongue-in-cheek post I saw was apparently one on instructions to wash hands, in Texas. It said - "wash your hands like you just finished cutting a bowl of jalapeno peppers and you now have to change your contact lenses"
Old 9th March 2020, 17:53   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
This article/post to prepare hand sanitizer has been going around, but came across this today:

https://brightside.me/inspiration-he...2iS84rM7WTOxAs

so not sure if the sanitizer will help ?
One immediate difference I see is that the experiment was done to show the effectiveness of washing hands with soap to combat bacteria (obvious as soon as you see the pics of bread slices).

But we are concerned about coronavirus right..?
Old 9th March 2020, 20:14   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
In line with my previous post, I'm not very worried by 43 in India; I'm not very worried by 1 in Tamil Nadu; I'd be concerned if I lived in a much smaller town in Kerala with 5-6 cases
)
Just to understand the point, why do you think 43 in India is not a worry but 6 in Kerala is? In fact with much superior health care facilities in Kerala, shouldn't it be the other way around?
Old 9th March 2020, 20:31   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Just to understand the point, why do you think 43 in India is not a worry but 6 in Kerala is? In fact with much superior health care facilities in Kerala, shouldn't it be the other way around?
What he meant is 1 case in the entire state is less concerning than the 5-6 cases in a small town.

Kerala Case - 3 people took flight from Italy to Doha and Doha to Kochi, took taxi to small town, visited relatives, visited some offices and other places. Just look at the number of people involved.

Since cases within the country are still low, authority need to check people entering from other countries (airports) thoroughly even if it causes inconvenience to the passengers.

All is well here in Germany. No masks, people coughing and sneezing like there is no tomorrow even after 1000+ cases.

Last edited by Latheesh : 9th March 2020 at 20:36.
Old 9th March 2020, 20:43   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
What he meant is 1 case in the entire state is less concerning than the 5-6 cases in a small town.
That is where the problem lies. Just take the case of the residents of Pathanamthitta District. For them Corona Virus was far away from them, in China, in Italy etc. and may be the first cases in Thrissur.. until the morons came in stealth mode, visited banks, bars,visited cinemas, traveled in public transports, attended marriages and visited relatives in near by district.

So God forbid, what assurance has anyone got that someone with corona virus is not lurking in his vicinity. So it is always good to be concerned without going overboard.

What Karnataka Government did by suspending Schools is a good thing. Children are always touching things, touching the face and putting things in their mouth. Can't really make them do things as they are not concerned of anything.

Regarding the Pathanamthitta issue : The District Collector has announced that with people who came in contact with the travelers traced, hospitalized / quarantined depending on their health conditions, the Department of Health is still in control of the whole situation.

Last edited by adrian : 9th March 2020 at 21:04. Reason: Adding info

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks