Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2020, 15:31   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Home isolation or self-quarantine is not a easy matter either and must be taken very seriously, not only by the patients but by your local support system.

Read the CDC guidelines here:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...nt-spread.html

Last edited by itwasntme : 10th March 2020 at 15:33.
Old 10th March 2020, 15:35   #392
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
I heard screening at Indian Airport is total mess.
Cousin spent 7hrs in a queue at Mumbai Airport for the Coronavirus screening while returning from Bangkok. At Delhi Airport situation is similar from what I've read on social media.
Old 10th March 2020, 15:37   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
Do you see such hysteria and panic over the 'random statistics' I quoted?
What percentage of smokers you know have quit smoking? .. 'Time has told' here.
There is no hysteria (rightly so) on smoking or road accident deaths because they aren't contagious. They don't spread. Isn't that obvious?

Of course, smoking itself is bad and I try to stay away from smokers in public places, but I am not really interested in finding out how many have quit. It's a merely a number for me, unless I am involving in medical or rehabilitation work related to smoking and I am in some capacity to do something about it.

Quote:
It is treatable, so what are you worried about? Whatsapp and facebook are focusing more on the mortality rate than the ones that are surviving/being cured which is 25-30 times that number.

A vaccine is at least 6 months away.

Lets just be calm, responsible and take the basic precautions prescribed.

Covid-19 is not treatable as of now. Only symptoms can be managed and our immune system has to do the rest.

Mortality rate vs survival - Yes, mortality rate has come down last few days as more cases were reported and cured. But it's important at a macro level because that's one data point that will help governments and medical fraternity to plan. If everyone takes the required precaution it will come down naturally. But imagine the consequences if that doesn't happen. After some point, the healthcare system may collapse due to the sheer number of patients that need treatment and the healthcare infrastructure will simply not be able to support it, and it will affect larger set of people that need medical facilities. That's the risk with these kind of pandemics. One needs to be aware of such risks and not ignore it as just another flu or brush it away saying more people die of other causes.

Of course panic doesn't help, but we need to be aware of the risks here.
Old 10th March 2020, 17:21   #394
BHPian

Coronavirus effect: Chinese nationals attend Auto Expo with mask on
https://in.news.yahoo.com/coronaviru...034500509.html
Old 10th March 2020, 17:30   #395
BHPian

Quick question for doctors: What are superfoods that we need to eat that will help boost our immunity or help our bodies fight incase corona hits? Asking from perspective of fighting it instead of worrying or panicking
Old 10th March 2020, 18:12   #396

Hello folks, this being only my second post, pardon my gaffes in the post below, if any.

There is a lot of information on COVID-19 now in this forum in particular and the internet in general. What I distil is this is a highly contagious disease and precaution is the only cure (to rephrase a popular saying!). Once it infects a critical mass, burden on healthcare system will be too much to handle and it will be very difficult to stop it as it is growing exponentially and may wipe a substantial population like Spanish Flu did in 1918 (infecting more than 500 million people - 27% of the then world population - and killing around 10% of them). A nice analysis of its possible spread from a mathematical point of view in a lucid way is available at . If you don't want to watch it, then let me try to summarise it for you below.

Essentially, it informs that the general public may be misled by the exponential curve. Initially, the numbers are small, so the public may be careless, but then the growth rate increases rapidly and the numbers become huge. Unfortunately, viral infections are a textbook case of exponential growth. Currently, COVID-19 reported cases outside mainland China are increasing by 10 times every 16 days. If this trend continues, theoretically Coronavirus will spread to 1 Billion people in 81 days. But, before this statement creates panic, let me state that it will not happen practically as suspected cases are being quarantined and are also getting well after symptomatic treatment and the general population is aware and taking adequate protections. So, the virus will not find new hosts and its growth rate will decline after a point in time. And that point is "Inflection Point" or the "Growth Factor", which is the ratio of the number of new cases on one day to the number of new cases the previous day. When this factor becomes less than 1, it means that the number of new cases each day are less than the previous day and then the COVID-19 will come under control. Currently, the Growth Factor is around 1.19 (keeps changing on a day-to-day basis). If we reduce the spread of the virus due to various precautions, isolation, reduced travel, and treatment, then the inflection point will come sooner than later. So, the gist is to take as much precaution as possible. As the above video concludes, the only thing to fear is the lack of fear itself. So, let's not dilute it by underestimating it.

After all the heavy talk above, and since today is Holi, let me share a colourful scanning electron microscope image of the new coronavirus emerging from an infected cell (image credit: NIAID-RML/de Wit/Fischer taken from https://www.nature.com/articles/d415...b4364-43291033).

The Coronavirus Thread-d41586020006398_17747784.jpg

Ok, it may appear gross but still enticing.
Happy Holi to all.
Old 10th March 2020, 18:42   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
Quick question for doctors: What are superfoods that we need to eat that will help boost our immunity or help our bodies fight incase corona hits? Asking from perspective of fighting it instead of worrying or panicking
Foods with high content in protein viz. Eggs, Pulses, Dry fruits like Almonds, Milk, Chicken, Soyabeans. Proteins boost immunity in the body.

Regards
Dr. Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2020, 19:29   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Cousin spent 7hrs in a queue at Mumbai Airport for the Coronavirus screening while returning from Bangkok. At Delhi Airport situation is similar from what I've read on social media.
7 hours? How are they making people stand for that long? Or is it a selective quarantine based on your travel history?
The flight from Bangkok to Mumbai takes less than 6 hours!
Old 10th March 2020, 19:39   #399
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
7 hours? How are they making people stand for that long? Or is it a selective quarantine based on your travel history?
The flight from Bangkok to Mumbai takes less than 6 hours!
Not selective quarantine.

https://twitter.com/shukla_tarun/sta...93755906342912

https://twitter.com/Jignesh00225918/...24877362298880
Old 10th March 2020, 19:43   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief View Post
A nice analysis of its possible spread from a mathematical point of view.
Brother

Thank you. With all the hoopla sorrounding the reporting across various platforms, your brilliant post brings in a mathematical model to understand the trajectory. Though it is scary, the optimism in containing the bug and reversing the factor below 1 is noteworthy.

For the sake of sanity (really I dream of the big blue ball with red pimples banging my head, of late.) may I request you to compute the trend for the country and the world, everyday on this thread? So that we can know if it is advancing or reversing.

Thanks for your inputs.
Old 10th March 2020, 19:56   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I see the form/declaration as a useful step; that alone can come handy when a trace-back is required. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
How else can one screen at airports, ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJay View Post
..I can firmly say that authorities/govts are well aware of situations...
Quote:
Cousin spent 7hrs in a queue at Mumbai Airport...
Considering the worst situation at the airports, I doubt authorities are well aware of the situation and the solution. These may be selective and random incidences but biggest nightmare for me so I am worried. Because travelling with 2 small kids and with bucket load of luggage of transfer to India, can anyone imagine waiting for 7 hours in odd hours at the airport. Unfortunately the travel can not be cancelled or postponed so it is not crime to expect some human process at the airport. I have kept all forms ready and I am willing to comply with any formalities and checks but are authorities ready? I am not afraid of corona virus but I am afraid of bureaucratic handing of the situation.

Situation might have been improved afterwards after initial experience. Hopefully with less people travelling and more experience by authorities things will be smooth. But it is not wrong to expect some viable less taxing process of screening.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 10th March 2020 at 20:02.
Old 10th March 2020, 21:30   #402
BHPian

Corona sure has taken its path of entering into the country. This is quite inevitable. I work as doctor with the Public Health Department. To be frank, we still have to receive proper guidelines regarding Covid-19 containment. Basics first, it’s a virus. It stays dead outside the body and becomes alive once it enters. So unlike bacteria which stay alive outside meaning they require something to thrive on when outside the human body, viruses don’t need anything. They just float around affect us when in contact. The viruses capacity to withstand the outside conditions determine if they will remain intact or get destroyed. So as it goes, avoid contact and touching surfaces in public places.
So far the symptoms listed and very generic and don’t point to anything. Look out for fever, tiredness and running nose. Throat pain and respiratory distress are not common symptoms. They might occur but not common.
Avoid going to crowded places. I believe this is a repeated instruction handed out. These virus particles thrive on crowds! More the hosts more the replication! If you have and obligation, use a mask. Preferably a N99 mask and do go through the proper method to wear one. The upper head band first, then the lower one. Removal in the exact reverse order. Lower band first then the upper band. Avoid touching surfaces with bare hands. Motivate people around you to get checked even with mildest of symptoms, if in contact or history of travel. Remember the cases from Italy were confirmed only after a week of their arrival in India. Keep your hands clean and do wash them properly with soap and water. Avoid touching your nose and mouth with dirty hands. So to say do all the things you do when you get a flu!
One thing which still baffles me that the government asks people not to panic but has issued repeated warnings and announcements regarding the same. The ground reality is still unknown. The virus’ history and etiology are still to be established. Rumours have been spreading around rapidly and lot of new theories are coming up regarding the treatment protocols but nothing has been established yet.
So remember , stay safe, avoid contact, avoid crowds, stay indoors, wash your hands regularly, avoid touching nose and mouth unnecessarily, use a mask.
Nothings is certain yet. Let’s all hope everything turns out fine
Old 10th March 2020, 21:51   #403
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I cannot stress this enough - prevention is great but to be aware is also very important. There is only so much that the govt can do. Be happy that they are taking proactive measures unlike here!

What governments are reacting to is to real events - people are dying!

Last edited by vb-saan : 11th March 2020 at 07:07. Reason: Quoted post deleted, trimmed the related response. Thank you.
Old 10th March 2020, 22:03   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone have any idea about the current wait times in Bengaluru? I have non refundable tickets to Bengaluru, scheduled for mid April. If they continue to have such delays in the airport after flying for 24+ hours, I will gladly pass on such torture. I have no interest in going through such waits, also risk being quarentined for the duration of my vacation
Old 10th March 2020, 22:11   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Considering the worst situation at the airports, I doubt authorities are well aware of the situation and the solution.
I have kept all forms ready and I am willing to comply with any formalities and checks but are authorities ready? I am not afraid of corona virus but I am afraid of bureaucratic handing of the situation.
But it is not wrong to expect some viable less taxing process of screening.
I can imagine your frustration, and glad that you are willing to comply with formalities and checks. There are still 2 weeks for your arrival and with time things will change considerably, picture will be clearer. Make sure you take care of yourself and family with utmost priority while exposed to crowd. All I can say is, be prepared for worst as what would come next will be better.

I have gone through the links and it seems a clear mis-management on part of respective authorities, it should have been handled in better way. It looks like at airports, authorities are extra conscious since they are the “entry points” for virus. Hope they learn and manage the situation with better approach and lot more hygiene ASAP.

Not at all defending govt/authorities but they are facing different/unique kind of difficulties at every stage. I have no information about airports but at some places, some “high class people” are not ready to trust and follow instructions of a doctor “unknown” to them, some would consult their “family doctor” only as other doctors are not qualified enough. Kudos to all the Doctors and medical staff, who remain neutral to such people and doing their duties very diligently and professionally. They are humans as well, with families. I repeat, I am not defending or covering anything, just trying to divulge other side.

We all should understand that this is not the normal time we are going through, do not expect everything to pass out normally and nicely. This is not some local crisis where only “certain” people could be affected. Routine life of almost entire world is getting affected including first world countries, we all are bound for some or other dis-comfort at any stage and should mentally prepare ourselves for this. Instead of doing blame game, we should try to remain positive and while pointing out mistakes and loopholes in management, should suggest possible solutions (not medicines) as well.
This is common post to all and does not meant for any specific person.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks