• Myth: You need to get a mask
  • Myth: Heat can kill the virus
  • Myth: The virus can be transmitted through mail
  • Myth: Kids can't get the coronavirus
  • Myth: People who get the coronavirus will die
Old 5th March 2020, 09:53   #257
Senior - BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Coronavirus lingers in rooms and toilets, but disinfectants kill it: Singapore study

In brief:
Quote:
WASHINGTON: New research from Singapore published on Wednesday (Mar 4) showed that patients with the novel coronavirus extensively contaminate their bedrooms and bathrooms, underscoring the need to routinely clean high-touch surfaces, basins and toilet bowls.

On the other hand, the virus was killed by twice-a-day cleaning of surfaces and daily cleaning of floors with a commonly used disinfectant, which suggests that current decontamination measures are sufficient as long as people adhere to them.

Three of the five toilet sites were also contaminated, including the sink, door handle and toilet bowl - more evidence that stool can be a route of transmission.

Air samples tested negative, but swabs taken from air exhaust outlets were positive - which suggests that virus-laden droplets may be carried by air flows and deposited on vents.

"Significant environmental contamination by patients with SARS-CoV-2 through respiratory droplets and faecal shedding suggests the environment as a potential medium of transmission and supports the need for strict adherence to environmental and hand hygiene,"
--

A PetDog in HongKong tests weak positive for Covid19: The first reported case of Human to Animal transmission of Covid19

While the chances of dog falling ill is incredibly low due to a weak infection and the dog does not have any signs of disease. Hongkong authorities are now quarantining pets of Covid19 patients for 14 days. HongKong authorities are urged to follow good hygiene practices - such as washing hands before and after being around or handling them or their food or their stuff and no kissing. But currently there is no evidence of reverse tranmsmission i.e., from dog back to a human. But better to be safe than sorry.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-h...d-coronavirus/
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/02/a...hnk/index.html
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...ive-infection/
--

Last edited by Sankar : 5th March 2020 at 10:20.
Old 5th March 2020, 09:57   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post

Quick facts:
Fact 1. Yoga would keep you healthy, thus will help you fight against the virus.

Facts 2. Ayurveda will help you cleanse your body, would strengthen your immunity which will help you fight against the virus.

Only defending what I must, and what is just. Don't care about opinions anyways.
Fact: We have a pandemic on hand; and a problem that is now seemingly going to affect all of us across India - wrt to our work & personal schedules, availability of necessary goods, and travel constraints. The actual virus related problem would probably impact a minute % of all of us (unless we screw it up).

Fact: You are indulging in an useless argument that you yourself pointed out in one of your earliest posts on this thread as un-necessary (quoted below) and yet, here you are still going on this idiotic discussion that is adding no benefit to this thread.

Fact: Beliefs are good to have; and need not always be determined by logical and sound facts (and not statements like the ones above and what I'm stating). But getting into arguments during a major pandemic situation is not required.

So let's please stop this and get back to the original thread discussion. You get a huge vote of thanks if you don't reply to my post (and others that have replied to your last post).

Quote:
There would be no significant outcome of this argument and it won't contribute much to the coronavirus problem, so I won't indulge in it but since you mentioned the similarities between an ayurvedic medicine and an allopathic drug, I would consider that as a positive towards the point I was trying to put forward.

Edit: I guess movie halls are a strict no-no going forward (to be on the safer side). The Bond movie just got postponed to November! Damn!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 5th March 2020 at 10:01.
Old 5th March 2020, 10:57   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Well you are selectively targeting specific points and being rude in your response, that's says a lot about what your thoughts actually are in this perspective.
So I tell you to ahead and follow your beliefs as long as you like and you think I am being rude somehow. I don't get it. If you are so sensitive to any argument that goes against your belief system then why spout it on the Internet.

Quote:
Ayurveda can cure and Yoga is a form of exercise that makes you physically healthy and both have substantial success in their fields to justify their existence. Please do the needful research before defaming an entire institution just because it's repulsive to your beliefs. Can't spoon-feed you on every damn subject you don't care enough to give an understanding to. If you couldn't see how I related them to coronavirus, read again. Your arguments suggests you think Ayurveda is quackery and Yoga is an elaborate sham.
Nope, I never said that Ayurveda is quakery or Yoga is a sham. I only pointed out that your believing in something doesn't make it true.

If there is a cure in Ayurveda for coronavirus it needs to be scientifically validated. Somehow this point seems to be have gone over your head.

Otherwise how do you explain this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
I don't care if the cure comes from some old text (from any bygone civilization) or from a modern laboratory as long as it's shown to be scientifically valid
Also, please try to understand that the burden of proof is always on the guy making the argument. If your argument is that Ayurveda has a cure for any disease then you have to provide the proof (or spoon feed as you like to call it). That is how the 'Burden of Proof' works. This is something that the scientific community understands which you seem to dislike or not grasp as of yet.

Quote:
Difference is clear as day, why did you bring in the other one then? I very well know the difference, but as usual you specifically want to target it like that, deliberately trying to manipulate the argument. Preventing handshakes is a cure in itself as it would stop the transfer of coronavirus. In this context prevention is cure itself, as no cure exists as of now.
Dude, if you are going to make up your own rules for the English language then you are going to find it difficult to hold a discussion with most of the English speaking human race.

The phrase is 'Prevention is better than cure'. You can't just modify it to suit your needs. Also, it still seems that you don't understand the meaning of the word 'Cure'.

'Prevention is Cure'...Amazing. If you prevented the damn infection from happening what you are going to cure. See, this is why you don't make up rules of grammar in your head.

Quote:
I said "I believe there is a cure for this virus in Ayurveda too" and that was said in relation to the Tibetan medicine, but as usual you selectively targeted that one line, rephrased it and manipulated the meaning.

If you want me to explain every thing in the simplest possible manner cause you can't comprehend what a simple sentence wants to imply, please ignore my posts. Please ignore them anyways as you will not accept any valid arguments put forth as it's against what you believe, hence the rude replies. It's no use reasoning with you, can't keep banging my head against a wall
Again, the 'Burden of Proof' is on you. You made the argument. Please stop calling it a valid argument ..atleast till you are capable of backing it up.

Yes, try banging your head on the wall and see if that helps.

Quote:
If you think ayurveda and yoga are pure fantasies and exist only in beliefs of a community, keep holding on to that thought. Nobody cares.
So my statement literally states in plain and simple English that I would accept a cure from any traditional form of medicine or a modern one as long as it is scientifically valid and you then accuse me of thinking Ayurveda is pure fantasy.

It is difficult to hold an argument if you fail at comprehending the meaning of most of other guy's statements.

Quote:
Stereotyping are we? So people who believe in ayurveda, yoga, Indian culture and traditions are backward, illiterate, stupid, idiot, yada yada, that's what I thought your humble opinion would be
Nope, my statement only meant that people who put a god's Idiol on the dashboard and then refuse to put on the seat belt are relying on their belief system to keep them safe rather than something that is statistically proven to reduce the chance of fatalities in car crashes.

This was to be taken in the context of the rest of my argument. That something being proved as scientifically valid will hold more weight in real life than someone beliefs.

However, at this point I realize that you seem to struggle to understand the basic point that multiple people are trying to make so I understand your confusion here.
Old 5th March 2020, 11:04   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Quick facts:
Fact 1. Yoga would keep you healthy, thus will help you fight against the virus.

Facts 2. Ayurveda will help you cleanse your body, would strengthen your immunity which will help you fight against the virus.
Okay, for the sake of everyone's sanity and to end this discussion, let explain to you how immunity works in the most basic way possible.

There are two types of immunity:

1) Innate immune system
2) Adaptive (or specific) immune system

The innate immune system is general immunity and this is indeed strengthened by having a healthier lifestyle (yoga, eating garlic etc).

The adaptive immune system is specific to various pathogens. So, the virus has to introduced in the form of a vaccine for the human body to formulate the immune response to the disease . Since COVID-19 is a new disease, none of us are immune

So, doing yoga and leading a healthier life style won't make you any less susceptible to a new disease like COVID-19.

Namaste works, but that's just another way of saying don't touch anyone. I'm proud of our culture but we shouldn't be culturally chauvinistic. The Chinese and Japanese were just as rich and advanced as us. So, lets please end this discussion and get back to our real problem at hand!

Edit: Some of the known successes of traditional medicines worldwide could be attributed to placebo.

Last edited by dragracer567 : 5th March 2020 at 11:16.
Old 5th March 2020, 11:06   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Edit: I guess movie halls are a strict no-no going forward (to be on the safer side). The Bond movie just got postponed to November! Damn!
With a Disney movie release we had planned a Birthday party for our Kid along with few kids at a nearby mall followed by dinner at one of the restaurants here at the food court. The plan stands cancelled.

Better to avoid crowded places as you never know if an infected person may have visited the place in the last few days. Following hygiene is immensely important than anything else but with kids in tow, they can lose focus when having their fun times.
Old 5th March 2020, 11:20   #262
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Please keep the discussion limited to Coronavirus - the main topic of this thread. Please refrain from making personal attacks and disrespecting cultural beliefs.
Old 5th March 2020, 11:26   #263
BHPian

I would ordinarily not mind anybody spreading his beliefs as long as he don't try to impose it on anyone, but here we have an extraordinary situation. Me not doing anything stupid alone will not prevent me from catching the disease, it also requires that the society as a whole is educated. So please stop spreading your belief systems.

Spreading belief systems in personal Whatsapp/Facebook groups is different from spreading in communities like Team BHP. Here, if I post an issue like, "my car is breaking down quite often", I expect to see technical solutions being discussed than "hang a nimboo and a mirch under the bonnet" or "place an idol on the dashboard".

To put it blunt, Team BHP should not be a place where you peddle your belief systems and superstitions.
Old 5th March 2020, 11:48   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragracer567 View Post
Since COVID-19 is a new disease, none of us are immune
This doesn't mean that the likelihood of two different individuals getting infected by this new virus is exactly the same when they are subjected to the exact same conditions under which they come in contact with the virus, does it?

Your statement sounds like people will anyway get infected when they come into contact with a new virus (to which they don't have antibodies in their system yet) no matter how strong their immune system is. My understanding was that our immune system can immediately fight a virus or a foreign body as it enters our system, and it can potentially curb it at that level thereby preventing an infection. In some cases, this initial response is not able to completely wipe it out and the virus incubates in our body, leading to an infection.

Last edited by clevermax : 5th March 2020 at 11:49.
Old 5th March 2020, 11:49   #265
BHPian

Similar to Namaste as a "cure", eating cloves of raw Garlic and Onions will help. And so does not brushing your teeth. It won't do anything, but people will not come near you.
Desperate times need desperate measures
Old 5th March 2020, 12:11   #266
BHPian

over the last 100 days, it has practically spread across 70+ countries practically shaking the social fabric we stay in. What needs to be seen is how quickly it would subside and how a cure can be discovered...
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-capture.jpg  

Old 5th March 2020, 12:14   #267
UMe
BHPian

Medical shops around my residence has run out of masks and handsanitizers.
Meanwhile, got this via Whatsapp. How true!
Attached Thumbnails
The Coronavirus Thread-screenshot_2020_0305_120932.jpg  

Old 5th March 2020, 12:36   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Off on an unavoidable work trip to Colombo & Dhaka, countries which seem to have miraculously escaped contagion so far. Hope it stays that way till I return mid-next week.

Heard KA has increased the quarantine period to 28 days. Actually, staying for that long in a KA-administered clinic/hospital will introduce more diseases :-(
Old 5th March 2020, 12:43   #269
BHPian

Guys please when I used the word 'believe' in context of ayurveda, I was saying that in my opinion ayurveda could have a cure, when I said I believe in ayurveda it meant that in my opinion it works. Why are you dissecting the damn word believe and targeting it singularly. How is it related to my religious beliefs. I also believe in global warming, now associate that with my religious beliefs as well. Please look for the meaning of word 'Believe' first.
I also talked about how COVID-19 has mutated already and scientist have found a second strain.

And because there is still no cure for common cold or COVID to begin with we should accept that there would be no cure in modern medicine for COVID-19 until a vaccine is made. I know how immune system works and what vaccine is, and btw any vaccine is still a good year away and hence we should look for alternate ways as well.

Mod Note: Please keep the discussion limited to the context (Coronavirus) and not on specific beliefs, cultural or religious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMe View Post
Medical shops around my residence has run out of masks and handsanitizers.
Meanwhile, got this via Whatsapp. How true!
WHO has released a DIY for hand sanitizers. I believe that would come in handy incase you are out of OTC sanitizers.

https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/Guide_...Production.pdf

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th March 2020 at 13:34. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 5th March 2020, 12:57   #270
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support: Please do not make this a debate between the various schools of medicine. All such posts will be deleted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks