Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2020, 19:53   #496
BHPian

re: The Coronavirus Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My son says at NIT Trichy all hostel students who visit hometown and return are screened before being allowed to enter campus. And that NIT Calicut has advised hostel students to avoid going home or visits by relatives from home to hostel for the near future. Hopefully all educational institutions are following similar precautions.

Can someone identify where in Kerala the 14 cases are located? In TN the reported case (construction engineer returned from the middle east) is in Chennai hospital.
Pathanamthitta - 6
Kottayam - 2
Ernakulam -1
Thrissur -1
Kannur - 1
The Pathanamthitta and Kottayam numbers might be off by one. They're suspecting one case in Thiruvananthapuram. Thrissur and Kannur cases are new.
Old 12th March 2020, 20:49   #497
BHPian

Delhi shuts all theatres, and schools & colleges where no exams are being held, till March 31

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.c...471541.htm/amp

I think other states should follow suit, especially for schools and colleges.
Old 12th March 2020, 22:11   #498
Senior - BHPian

Can I (59+) or even younger people take a Pneumonia vaccine as a precaution? Though it won't prevent the virus will it help in any other way? Response from Doctors alone, please.
Old 12th March 2020, 22:37   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Can I (59+) or even younger people take a Pneumonia vaccine as a precaution? Though it won't prevent the virus will it help in any other way? Response from Doctors alone, please.
Absolutely do not, as you have rightly understood that it doesn't prevent from COVID-19 or even H1N1. Besides, why endure fever or myalgia ( muscle ache) for a day or two post the pneumonia vaccine administration ?? Yes, this likely happens in most people, especially elderly and believe me, the myalgia is at times disabling. Just take care of your health and hygiene in general, eat good food and stay hydrated.

If at all, you can take the 2020 strain of H1N1 vaccine when it's out in the market ( usually around July), after consulting an infectious physician. I take this every year as I get exposed to a significant number of H1N1 patients every year at my hospital in Mumbai.

Regards
Dr. Vivek
vivek95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2020, 22:48   #500
Distinguished - BHPian

The helpline numbers in India.

The Coronavirus Thread-img20200312wa0028.jpg
Old 12th March 2020, 22:51   #501
BHPian

I wish that instead of forwarding fake forwards about India being immune because of vedic medicine's and vegetarian diets, the government could have taken precautions that were more perceptive in the beginning. Anything happening in UP or Bihar or any of the other states with abysmal health infrastructure is more damaging than something in Kerala or some other state with a responsible healthcare system.

India has been put at risk by the delay and the deliberate misinformation campaign and lack of preparedness. If you think the misinformation bit is not true, ask your older relatives about this. Many have received "information" about preventing the virus by doing Yoga or Yagna and the input that the virus is a bioweapon by China to control its population . Such stunts work in elections but might kill the 70+ aged voter.

On LinkedIn there are a lot of doctor gurus who depend on foreign toursits who are criticizing the ban on tourism.

It is a dangerous phase, and do not let any WhatsApp educated person tell you how all this won't affect Indians if they do worship and eat veg food. It is a crisis. It is sad that there are members who seem to be educated but still distrust science and trust fake news and mythologies more.
Old 12th March 2020, 23:00   #502
Senior - BHPian

India reports its first coronavirus death

"The 76-year-old man from Kalaburgi (Karnataka) who passed away and was a suspected COVID-19 patient has been confirmed positive for COVID-19. ."

The man had a travel history to Saudi Arabia.

More details - https://www.indiatoday.in/india/stor...953-2020-03-12

Last edited by msdivy : 12th March 2020 at 23:04.
Old 12th March 2020, 23:09   #503
Senior - BHPian

A lot of nonsense is circulating. If at all something may help, I feel it may be the approaching Indian summer. Even now days are already hot. Not that it will destroy the virus inside the body, but the amount of time it survives outside in the atmosphere or on various surfaces may be drastically reduced. To that extent it may restrict the spread, at the most.

Sure it becomes very hot in the middle east too, but I understand the nights get equally cold.
Old 12th March 2020, 23:21   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A lot of nonsense is circulating. If at all something may help, I feel it may be the approaching Indian summer. Even now days are already hot. Not that it will destroy the virus inside the body, but the amount of time it survives outside in the atmosphere or on various surfaces may be drastically reduced. To that extent it may restrict the spread, at the most.

Sure it becomes very hot in the middle east too, but I understand the nights get equally cold.
To effectively kill the virus, a temperature of around 60 degree celsius is required. Clothes can be washed at that temperature. Nobody can bath at that temperature nor live at such high temperature.

Ideal temperature for corona to multiply is between 8~9 degree celsius. As the temperature gets higher, its replication slows down but will be alive.
Old 12th March 2020, 23:31   #505
BHPian

- 2,651 new cases, 189 new deaths, and 213 new recoveries in Italy. Death toll tops 1,000.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Old 12th March 2020, 23:55   #506
BHPian

Let's stop playing the blame game guys, even the US isn't prepared for this.
In Italy they are 'prioritizing' patients, same was said at a british news debate, about how NSA would be forced to prioritize patients, which aired like 20 days ago.

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th March 2020 at 13:08. Reason: Editted off the line on sanitisers, and the video
Old 13th March 2020, 01:32   #507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post

Social distancing. Lockdowns. Otherwise, the whole healthcare community will just become overwhelmed!
Yep. This is the only viable solution at this point. Social distancing and quick containment of suspected cases. Hopefully, governments around the world will wake up sooner rather than later.

I was hoping that the relative success of Chinese approach would push Governments to implement similar measures but other than Italy it doesn't seem to be the case yet.

Not sure why people still think that eating and living healthy will save them when humans have no immunity to this thing.

If you don't mind me asking, which state are you in? Don't individual states have some sort of autonomy over this?

I think I saw a report that Governor Cuomo is taking considerable steps to slow this thing down.

Last edited by vb-saan : 13th March 2020 at 13:07. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 13th March 2020, 01:54   #508
BHPian

Quote:
The US is woefully under-prepared. I know of a handful of other folks who have asked in their offices and have been turned down too.
Well, Here in 'DC' my employer has forced entire IT Dept to work from home, this week and also next week. DC Mayor has declared state of emergency. It depends on the employer, also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
Don't individual states have some sort of autonomy over this? I think I saw a report that Governor Cuomo is taking considerable steps to slow this thing down.
+1. Indeed, each state does differently as they have powers and autonomy to do the same.

Last edited by Samurai : 13th March 2020 at 20:49. Reason: quoted post removed
Old 13th March 2020, 04:16   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, but even this one is not true. In the confusion about what all circulating things are fake, and what are true, even I had hopes of this one (The Indian summer will save us: next month!) But a little internet research disillusioned me.

The grain of truth is that the virus may survive longer on a cold surface than a hot one, but this doesn't mean summer will save us. Remember that the virus loves being in bodies. 37C is no problem for it at all.

Even my wife told me this one today. She had heard it from some religious person. My eventual source was an article in Scientific American. She didn't actually say so, but I suspect she secretly wants to believe her source, not mine.
Old 13th March 2020, 08:00   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

I was fretting and fuming about having to cancel my planned vacation at Ooty in a week's time, owing to a silly office situation.

And then - I saw in this morning's Tamil newspaper that all major hill stations in India are deserted. No one's going anywhere!

Thus it comes to be that I am happy again. No one's going on their vacation. I'm good!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks