Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: What kind of music is in your playlist?
Rock Music 119 38.02%
Hip Hop Music 19 6.07%
Pop Music 43 13.74%
Electronic/ Trance/ Club Music 45 14.38%
Others (Country, Jazz, Instrumental etc) 87 27.80%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2020, 12:11   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
When we lived in Kansas City we got into country and western big time.
This reminds me: one of my biggest takeaways from the US has been country/Indie music. Went to Nashville one weekend and was blown away from the amateur/budding music in that city! About a mile and a half and about 60-70 pubs, each with a band playing live music. Was a terrific experience.

I keep telling this to whoever listens: I think my life will be complete the day I listen to Yanni, Hans Zimmer and David Gilmour and/or Roger Waters live. (I've missed going to HZ and Yanni live, despite being in the same city they were performing because I didn't know )

Last edited by Aditya : 12th February 2020 at 11:21.
Old 8th February 2020, 14:47   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Love any & all kinds of music. Take a look at my playlists (left side of the images). You'll see hip-hop to dance, hindi to classic rock, 60s to Now 2020, and everything in between. I have music playing for 75% of my waking hours & 100% of my driving time.

The Music Thread-1.png

The Music Thread-2.png

Last edited by Aditya : 12th February 2020 at 11:22.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 17:39   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

I have an eclectic taste in music it spans genres and even languages. My Dad was a great influence on my brother and me whilst we were growing up. And we were brought up hearing a lot of Latin and US Jazz and Soul/RnB of the 1960s and '70s by Stan Getz, Jobim, Eumir Deodato, Roberta Flack and instrumental music by James Last, Henry Mancini, Bert Kaempfert. This is only a fraction of the list.

Around the age of 10, I graduated into pop and my favourites were the Bee Gees, Abba, Andy Gibb, Steely Dan (jazz rock) Alan Parsons Project and other famous bands from the '70s including the Dutch Pussycats (Jeroen you probably remember them too), Cerrone among many others. The '80s saw me swing into rock, pop-rock and country spanning Michael Jackson (but of course!), Billy Joel, Ambrosia, Barbra Streisand, Guns n Roses, Nirvana, Toto, Gary Moore, Queen, Eddie Rabbitt, Dan Seals among dozens of singers and bands.

And then in the early 90s I began to love house music and chillout tracks all thanks to Enigma's Sadeness that mega hit from 1990.

So my top genres:

a) Jazz - Latin, Smooth and Classic. This is my favourite by far.
b) Old Hindi film soundtrack - from 1960s and '70s.
b) Rock and Soft/Pop rock
c) Pop and Country
d) House and chillout

R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 18:31   #34
Team-BHP Support

No CCR (Creedence Clearwater Revival) fans?

Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 19:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

^^^
You born on the bayou?

(Seems my 'music taste denotes age' is about to come a croppper).

Old 8th February 2020, 19:23   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
^^^
You born on the bayou?
'Have You Ever Seen The Rain?' is more up my alley.

Discovered CCR through my office cabbie Bob in Hopkinton a decade or so ago. The chap was in his 70s, drove a Town & Country like he stole it (no seat-belts!), and had the car's kick-ass sound system with Sirius XM radio playing 60s/70s rock all the time.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th February 2020 at 11:23.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 19:43   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Listing favourite bands might lead a list ... car thread where everything under the Sun gets mentioned.

Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 20:50   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Pop music is Popular music. So music from all the genres viz. to name a few Rock, Hip Hop, Heavy metal, Country, Jazz, Blue grass, Ragtime, Classical, Reggae, Soul, Instrumental and even K-Pop these days and much, much more, many a times enter the mainstream Pop Charts. And that's what we call Pop music.

Hence, I voted for Pop, as many, many genres are covered here and anything that's musical and soothing to the ear and our minds from the Pop charts is liked by me.

Old 8th February 2020, 21:59   #39
Team-BHP Support

Believe it or not, I first discovered 60s music while watching the movie Good Morning Vietnam.

https://open.spotify.com/album/13sP6bO2bpaZ737R5Ze3ho

Old 8th February 2020, 23:53   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

It may seem that I am a hard-core carnatic guy, and that is what do most, but I still have The Grateful Dead in my blood.

Re turntables. Don't do it. Don't do it unless you already have a record collection (in which you'll already have one), have inherited a large collection (you probably got a record player too), or there is some genre of music that you want to collect that comes more easily on vinyl than anything else.

My first records were shellac (78RPM). For much of my life, a turntable has been the centre of the household far more than a TV could ever have been. I miss it. The physical experience of handling and playing an LP is entirely different. But it's history. Nobody needs it now. There is no point. (except the stylus, of course).

Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 00:02   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There is no point. (except the stylus, of course).
And that too was shortlived. It used to wear out quite quickly. Used to buy those in tin boxes. 100 (or was it 500?) to the box.

Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 00:36   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
. Any other good songs from this group?
Joe has has own band. Or at least I see the same band members in a lot of his Youtube. What is interesting to see/hear is that most of them are quite a bit older than he is. But they play incredibly tight!

Joe has a huge selection of his own songs, but does some great covers as well.
Listen to this. He also knows how to attract some of the best (backing) vocals as well. That voice of Mahalia Barnes is just out of this world!

Joe has doen numerous tours and some albums with Beth Hart. They are both independent artists, but when they perform together the roof comes down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Are you kidding> Of course I am a fan of CCR. Technically, I am too young for them, but I still enjoy their songs. John Fogerty is a genius and still tours to date. Mind you, depending on who you want to believe, he is also an ego-centric tiran that caused CCR to break up.

Lots of their songs have been covered by so many artist. The best cover, ever, no discussion, is of course Proud Mary by Tina Turner (Long after she dumped pathetic women beater Ike). Love Tine, look at this performance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Re turntables. Don't do it. There is no point. (except the stylus, of course).
Although I love my music, I am not that bothered about the equipment I use. But some people will swear by vinyl and tell you it is the only way to enjoy recorded much properly. When I tell them I play my iPod via one of these casettes in my car radio/casette player, of via an FM modulator they faint!

But, yes, a lot of favourites are from my teenage years, but also before and also afterward. Hey, I have songs from Adele and Taylor Swift. A few examples of my iPod library:

The Music Thread-screenshot-20200209-7.49.38-pm.jpg

The Music Thread-screenshot-20200209-7.49.55-pm.jpg

The Music Thread-screenshot-20200209-7.50.25-pm.jpg

The heroes from our teenage years do get older. Some get better, we certainly seem to think so. We probably give them some slack.

Paul Simon’s farewell concert is probably one of the best concerts we ever saw, but his voice is not what it was, but it does not matter. The Rolling Stones live the last decade, well not really that good, but hey they are the Stone dude! Living legends.

Here is one of my favourite. And for some reason he does get better every year. His guitar playing gets better, his voice mature and still sounds perfects for these kind of songs. Ry Coouder, with his son Joachim on drums! Four artist, simple song, but I can listen to this one song, the whole evening!

I love life performances, or these, one go recording sessions. It really sets the pro’s apart. The USA is full of artists and bands, that put on an astonishing life performance. You could walk into a bar and there will be a band playing you never heard of, all amateurs, but putting out some outstanding music at very high quality.

The vocals is always the dead give away. You can get by with technology, but the vocals you can’t hide. One of my more current artist, Pink, performing life:

And of course, I am usually there backing the outcast, such as the wonderful Dixie Chicks. These ladies got threatened and black listed by the music industry for speaking their minds. This song is about that experience.

Fantastic ladies, great, very accomplished musicians

Last edited by Aditya : 12th February 2020 at 11:24.
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 00:44   #43
Team-BHP Support

Of aging artists and farewell performances. Johnny Cash's rendition of Hurt, written by Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails, is one of my favorites.

They made a 'making of' video of it, and it's immensely moving.

Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 11:27   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Hindi film music from 70's onwards, classic rock, and some pop - stuff that we had when we were growing up is what I continue to listen to now. And my playlist is a mix of all this. However, I dont have any Kannada songs in there though it is the language at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
I have a decent Kannada song collection (mostly Dr. Rajkumar, Mano Murthy, Raghu Dixit songs). While 99% of Bollywood/Regional movie songs can be placed under "pop music" genre,
I enjoy music something similar to what you both have listed.

Quote:
Raghu Dixit's rock music is a breath of fresh air.
Raghu and his Brother Vasu both are my sister's friends and they often visit us. so I get some real Live music.

If you ask what my playlist looks like I'd list
  • 70's to 90's Bollywood (Kishore, Mukesh, RD burman)
  • 80s Kannada (SPB, PBS, Dr. Raj)
  • Instrumental
  • Jagjit Singh Ghazals (Marasim is my favourite)
  • English music is something I rarely listen to but Even if I do, it's all tracks form Backstreet boys, JLo, Britney spears, Venga boys that were released during 1999 to 2001 (My PU college days)
  • When I'm in mood for some recent music, I hear selected songs from Arijit singh in Hindi, Sanchith Hegde in Kannada.
To summarize, I listen to Good music of any genre but I love songs with meaningful Lyrics. Metal and Hard rock is just not for me!

But all said and done, when I'm Driving, I'm equally happy without any music at all.

hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 12:31   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
To summarize, I listen to Good music of any genre but I love songs with meaningful Lyrics. Metal and Hard rock is just not for me!

But all said and done, when I'm Driving, I'm equally happy without any music at all.
Well, it's difficult to fault metal or rock in terms of lyrics. Sample this:

Just like the Pied Piper
Led rats through the streets
We dance like marionettes
Swaying to the symphony
Of destruction

mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed