Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What kind of music is in your playlist?
Rock Music 119 38.02%
Hip Hop Music 19 6.07%
Pop Music 43 13.74%
Electronic/ Trance/ Club Music 45 14.38%
Others (Country, Jazz, Instrumental etc) 87 27.80%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2020, 13:13   #166
BHPian

Re: The Music Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, I will listen to them.

This one just came up in my Youtube feed. Never heard of her, but she is delightful to hear. I don't understand Marathi, but the composition is very good.
Excellent. Thanks for sharing. The composition is from a very popular musical drama 'Katyar Kaljat Ghusali'. Wiki Link:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katy..._Ghusali_(play)

Quote:
This guy's voice reminds me of Pundit Jasraj. Sweet sweet voice...
Darbar Festival channel has great content. Their audio/video recording is top notch.

Here is a magical Raag Yaman by Ustad Shahid Parvez. I listen to this regularly.

This one from Pt Budhaditya Mukherjee. Live Sitar in a thunderstorm near Kolkata. Raag Miya Malhar.

Mridangam Solo by Vidwan Neyvelli Venkatesh near Mahabalipuram Beach

C300 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2020, 17:45   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Very nice, from Venkatesh. Just noticed from the links on that, here is the veteran from the same school of mridangam...

But I don't know why they chopped it off at the beginning!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 22nd October 2020 at 17:46.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 23:30   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This Omkar Dadarkar's voice reminds me of Pundit Jasraj. Sweet sweet voice...
Turns out... his wife Maitreyee Roy Dadarkar is also top notch classical singer.

Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 03:40   #169
Senior - BHPian

Guys, looking for some Indian classical music/carnatic music recommendations. I normally have smooth jazz playing in the house as background music when I am not actively listening but I recently developed a liking for classical Indian music. I am scouring youtube but it will be good if you already have some that I can listen to right away. Thanks.
Old 28th October 2020, 21:10   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Guys, looking for some Indian classical music/carnatic music recommendations. I normally have smooth jazz playing in the house as background music when I am not actively listening but I recently developed a liking for classical Indian music. I am scouring Youtube but it will be good if you already have some that I can listen to right away. Thanks.
If you're not averse to soft Carnatic fusion, please check out the songs by Athari Sivapalan (uploaded under the YouTube handle mugun sivapalan). These songs right here are proper gems:
1) Mokashamu Galatha
2) Guruvayur Appane
3) Orujupu
4) Himagiri Thanaye

She's a Sri Lankan Tamil settled in Canada who has basically jammed with Canadian musicians. Wonderful music by her on top of already evergreen Carnatic songs.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 23:38   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Darbar.org is a British organisation. They have been organising festivals and looks like they now have a subscription streaming service.
I finally found a way to subscribe without revealing my credit card to Darbar. They have a youtube based paid subscription where I can get member only content with longer duration. For example, this was released today. You'll notice the member only tag below the title. I joined via youtube and google has my CC info already because I am a premium member. It is ₹159/month of Darbar subscription.

The Music Thread-darbar.bmp.jpg

Quote:
Guys, looking for some Indian classical music/carnatic music recommendations. I normally have smooth jazz playing in the house as background music when I am not actively listening but I recently developed a liking for classical Indian music. I am scouring Youtube but it will be good if you already have some that I can listen to right away. Thanks.
Well, there are some recommendation in the last 3 pages. Since you are beginner, you may prefer something within 10 minutes duration. Try this one for starter:

Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 10:52   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A great way to ease into Indian classical music is to listen to traditional folk music played by renowned stalwarts, especially luminaries like Pt. hari Prasad Chaurasia and Pt. Shiv Kumar Sharma. Search for their jugalbandis with folk music, and you will come across many such concerts and recordings. These will be light listens, but proper classical renditions at the same time.

You can thereafter explore more pure renditions based on various ragas. Raga Yaman is a good place to state, since it is a universally loved raga which sounds lovely equally to the veteran audience as well as to the uninitiated.

One such classic album is Music of the Valleys by both the aforementioned artistes, available to listen free on Youtube at

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 29th October 2020 at 10:54.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 21:43   #173
Team-BHP Support

Found a rare gem from one of the senior most singers of our era.

Her life story is very interesting too.

Old 6th November 2020, 15:58   #174
Team-BHP Support

Recently, youtube popped this video on my feed. I got totally nostalgic. The year was 1992, my 3rd job and the first time I was receiving salary regularly. I had just bought my first stereo/boombox with dual cassette deck.

So I walked into HMV audio store in Jayanagar shopping complex in Bangalore to purchase some serious music worth the new system. That is how bought my first cassette of Hindustani classic music. The album was Maestro's Series I of Pundit Bhimsen Joshi.

Few years later I bought it on CD, and few more years later I ripped it into wav/MP3. This still remains my most favourite piece, as well as my first. The following is the same recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
We are fortunate to have few excellent young singers across gharanas today. Worth Listening.

Jaipur Gharana - Manjiri Asanare-Kelkar
Agra - Bharathi Pratap
Gwalior - Shashwati Mandal
Kirana - Kumar Mardur, Sawani Shende
Bhendi Bazaar - Anuradha Kuber
Worth adding Manjusha Kulkarni-Patil to this list. She is very good, has a powerful voice unlike Kaushiki.

Old 6th November 2020, 17:22   #175
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure how many have listened to this lovely Kaushi Kanada by Debasmita Bhattacharya. The tabla sangat is also absolutely on point !

Good to see that there are connoisseurs of Indian classical music. Must be the grey hairs or just getting grey hairs (like me).

I have had the fortune of listening to some of these stalwarts like Pt. Bhimsen Joshi , in a very informal Bharatiya-baithak settings. Of course, it was more about my father who was the more keen listener . As an 8 year old, I was just interested in getting his autograph on the back page of an Enid Blyton storybook! But such experiences did develop my musical ears.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 6th November 2020 at 17:26.
fhdowntheline is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 19:35   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Some good Recommendations above. Few suggestions from my side:
- Try instruments closer to Jazz - Violin, Mandolin etc.
- Fusion music is a great way to ease into Indian classical - Shakti, L Shankar, L Subramaniam, Kala Ramnath
- If possible, attend live performances. If you are in Melbourne, register with Arts Centre and local Indian groups.

Quote:

Worth adding Manjusha Kulkarni-Patil to this list. She is very good, has a powerful voice unlike Kaushiki.
Powerful voice. Thanks for sharing.
Recently got this reco on youtube feed. Interesting channel by Pt Arvind Parikh. He runs a monthly Baithak at his Mumbai home. Very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/c/PtArvindPa...Baithak/videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I am not sure how many have listened to this lovely Kaushi Kanada by Debasmita Bhattacharya. The tabla sangat is also absolutely on point !
Thanks a lot.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 21:20   #177
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Recently got this reco on Youtube feed. Interesting channel by Pt Arvind Parikh. He runs a monthly Baithak at his Mumbai home. Very informative.

https://www.Youtube.com/c/PtArvindPa...Baithak/videos
Yes, I already saw Begum Parveena Sultana Episode. Didn't share here since it was mainly an informal interview.
Old 13th November 2020, 20:13   #178
Team-BHP Support

John McLaughlin: Guitar
L. Shankar: Violin
Zakir Hussain: Tabla
T. H. "Vikku" Vinayakram: Ghatam

Four future musical legends jamming in 1976. Zakir Hussain is so young in this video.

Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2020, 22:17   #179
BHPian

Ashok Bhandari: Harmonica

proton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 02:02   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Four future musical legends jamming in 1976. Zakir Hussain is so young in this video.
Zakir Hussain looks young, Vikku Vinayakram looks young, L Shankar doesn't look weird.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks