Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What kind of music is in your playlist?
Rock Music 119 38.02%
Hip Hop Music 19 6.07%
Pop Music 43 13.74%
Electronic/ Trance/ Club Music 45 14.38%
Others (Country, Jazz, Instrumental etc) 87 27.80%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2023, 07:38   #286
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Music Thread

The future of India's classical music is safe and bright. I know that when I listen to youths like her. This piece is just outstanding.

Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 08:45   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
The future of India's classical music is safe and bright. I know that when I listen to youths like her. This piece is just outstanding.

https://Youtu.be/3VkbaYr3lyg
Yup. This track has been on my family's playlist for more than a year. We really enjoy listening to this version in our Harman audio system in our Zest.
She is a student of the famous Ranjani-Gayathri carnatic duo. You can also search for the version of the same song where many students of Ranjani-Gayathri sing this song in bits (made during Covid lockdown times).

My daughter (who is learning carnatic music for few years now) has started practicing this song and we as parents are super-excited to listen to her work-in-progress .
srvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 16:52   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The future of India's classical music is safe and bright. I know that when I listen to youths like her...
Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
Yup. This track...
Not to my taste at all, but each to their own, and yes, young Spoorthi is a rising star and will certainly succeed. I don't think I'll be one of her fans (only seen her once) but there is indeed more to this music than my particular tastes: room for everyone.

I think it is a great time for carnatic music. There are many youngsters coming up. One nice thing is that they often attend each other's concerts
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2023, 08:07   #289
BHPian

Sinead O Connor no more. Her one song of Prince “Nothing compares to you” defined her career and music powers. Sadly never got mainstream recognition J https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-66318626.amp

Last edited by subraiyr : 27th July 2023 at 08:08. Reason: Url was not directing to the right address
subraiyr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 18:44   #290
Team-BHP Support

Couple of golden oldies of Kannada Cinema, from the time when Kannada films were pumping out amazing songs. Of course, the first song was composed by Purandara Dasa in 16th century. The lyric of this song is just outstanding.

Both sung by the great S.Janaki.

Last edited by Samurai : 6th August 2023 at 18:49.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 18:52   #291
Team-BHP Support

Two more from the time before I was born. Again, first one was composed by Raghavendra Swamy of Mantralaya in 16th century.

Every older person of every generation can relate to this one.

Last edited by Samurai : 6th August 2023 at 18:54.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2023, 11:42   #292
Team-BHP Support

XXXTENTACION (to be moved to music thread)

Discovered an incredible new artist from hip hop genre called XXXTENTACION. Yes, the name sounds weird. But if you set aside the stereotypes associated with an artiste's name and looks (punk-ish), you will find one of the greatest music artistes among the current crop. Unfortunately, the artiste's life was cut short by a fatal shooting during robbery.

(Rolling Stone article on XXX)

We’ve Only Begun to Understand XXXTentacion’s Musical Legacy
The rapper, who died at age 20, leaves behind a whirlwind of controversy, but also a huge musical footprint
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...legacy-665891/

The Music Thread-screenshot_1.jpg

Quote:
In his final month as a 17-year-old high school dropout, he uploaded a song to SoundCloud that – almost single-handedly – changed the way hip-hop looks and sounds. He hit the charts with no record label besides his own imprint, no radio play and a near-total press blackout. Soon, it felt like the world’s most culture-shifting rap superstars were taking notes from him. Within a year, he would amass a legion of fans and become the face of a burgeoning subgenre – despite the fact that it seemed like the only photo of him was his 2016 mugshot. Within two, he would have a Number One album that sounded like nothing else on the charts, save for imitators in his wake. By 20, he was dead. Not since Ritchie Valens in 1959 has a musician carved such a huge cultural path, only to be cut down before they reach 21.
About XXX:

- Starting creating music at an age of 14. Died at an age of 20.

- XXX's songs have incredibly variety and falls into different genres like rap music, R&B, rock ballad, thrash metal, latino music, techno-pop music, country music and so on.

- Spotifty has top 100 streaming records list. XXX's songs have 3 entries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eaming_records

- Unlike most other songs from hip hop artistes, XXX's songs are supposed to be deeply meaningful -> addressing topics like suicide, depression, anxiety etc. In youtube comments, many have said that his songs have helped them manage their mental health issues.

- He has created a large number of songs, but all his songs are short (at 2 to 3 mins)

SAMPLE XXXTENTACION SONGS

SAD! : XXX's signature song. In 34th number in Spotify's 'most streamed' song list. Song has its own wiki entry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sad!

VICE CITY: He created this song when he was 15 years old. Fifteen!

NUMB: XXX's attempt at rock/power ballad

ARMS AROUND YOU: Has a Latino/EDM music vibe

MOONLIGHT: A traditional superhit hip hop song (for fans of this genre only). Again, this song gets an entry in spotify top 100 streaming list

BAD VIBES FOREVER: R&B genre with prominent guitar play. Song released posthumously. Music by XXX, actual singing by somebody else.

CHASE/GLASS SHARDS: Belongs to thrash/punk metal genre. Song released posthumously. Only the music/tune/beats are by XXX.

There are other unique songs of XXX. Do a Youtube search for "Best of XXXTENTACION".

Last edited by SmartCat : 12th August 2023 at 17:53.
SmartCat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 09:06   #293
Team-BHP Support

A very rare video of how MJ trained for one of his iconic music videos... never knew he was that tall.

His trainer is Yamuna Sangarasivam, performing Odissi dance form.

Last edited by Samurai : 24th August 2023 at 09:11.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 10:29   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A very rare video of how MJ trained for one of his iconic music videos... never knew he was that tall.
Or she must be relatively shorter. Dude was what 5.8ft?
Old 6th September 2023, 20:40   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

This song"Just the two of us" by Grover Washington Jr with Bill Withers reached #2 on the Billboard charts in 1981. It's cool and soothing to listen in to. Perfectly matched and timed saxophone interludes embellish the composition and if you look at this you tube upload from just two years ago, it has got 4.3 crore views and 5.2 lakh likes. Awesome for a 42 year old song.

The rock video era commenced in 1982 with some pop hits getting video graphed. "Thriller" from Michael Jackson was a game changer from 1983 and almost every Western pop song from then on got its rock video.

"Just the two of us", featured here is from the pre-rock video era.

anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 22:18   #296
Team-BHP Support

Discovered one more 'gone too soon' artiste called LIL PEEP (death caused by drug overdose). His songs belong to a genre of music called "Emo Rap" or Emotional Rap. A few Lil Peep songs I like:

Last edited by SmartCat : 16th September 2023 at 22:20.
Old 22nd September 2023, 14:31   #297
Team-BHP Support

This lady sings difficult classical pieces from the movies without any music in the background.

Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 20:09   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

The latest and most likely last "The Beatles" single "now and then", was released on 03/11/23 and has been digitally remastered. The video looks so real. Surviving Beatles are Sir Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, the eternal Beatles drummer. Though Ringo Starr has been the lead singer for a few Beatles songs and also has had his career as a soloist, post their split in 1970. Both surviving Beatles are octogenarians. Its a treat to watch the Late John and Late George in this video.

The video is just two days old and has had 1.7 crore views and 7.5 lakh likes.

anjan_c2007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2023, 15:15   #299
Team-BHP Support

A chance meeting of two musicians in a public space leads to this:

Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2023, 23:16   #300
Team-BHP Support

I didn't know there was a Stradivarius playing musician living a quite life in India.

Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks