Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What kind of music is in your playlist?
Rock Music 119 38.02%
Hip Hop Music 19 6.07%
Pop Music 43 13.74%
Electronic/ Trance/ Club Music 45 14.38%
Others (Country, Jazz, Instrumental etc) 87 27.80%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2023, 19:01   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Music Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
David Crosby of CSNY passed away yesterday. ...
Crosby, Stills and Nash were among my favourites. To a lesser extent, Young.

Crosby did his best to kill himself with his lifestyle some decades ago. After a prison sentence he left behind the substances that were destroying his life and not only survived but thrived. I don't think the forty-something Crosby would have expected to live to 81!

We all know of the association of the Beatles with Ravi Shankar. Only yesterday did I read that it was Crosby who recommended RS to Harrison.

Furthermore, he got Joni Mitchell her first recording opportunity and produced her first album. Monumental!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 12:27   #272
BHPian

RIP Vani Jairam.

For those of us who grew up listening to her melodious voice, some of her songs will remain forever etched in our memories.

AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 14:01   #273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
RIP Vani Jairam.

For those of us who grew up listening to her melodious voice, some of her songs will remain forever etched in our memories.
My family got our first 2-in-1 tape recorder/player when I was 12. And my dad bought just one cassette (Songs of Shankarabharanam movie) and we only had one cassette for more than a year. Even though I had never been exposed Telugu language before (this was before I ever saw a TV), I ended up memorizing every song in that cassette.

Most of the female voice in that cassette was Vani Jairam. That cassette made me a lover of classical vocal music forever, and Vani Jairam had a big hand in it.

Om Shanti.

Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 16:40   #274
BHPian

Saw her just last week in Music Academy, Chennai in KS Chitra/Madhu Balakrishnan concert. She attended the event and was felicitated for the Padma Bhushan that was announced 2 days prior and she appeared very fragile but very gracious as always.

In fact, they announced that a felicitation event is getting organized on 19 March at Music Academy with film fraternity presence. Sad to see her go before the award ceremony but glad she was recognised for her contributions in her lifetime.

Rest in peace!!!
Old 6th February 2023, 05:44   #275
BHPian

In all the plethora of filmy music this was missed

RIP Lalitha

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...55380.ece/amp/
subraiyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 16:25   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

It must be devastating for such performing sisters/brothers/etc when one is lost.
Old 20th February 2023, 12:07   #277
Senior - BHPian

Jindagi sarara motor gadi maa...

I think the shorter version of this song should be Team BHP's travelogue theme song .

Shorter tik tok type version.

While the song is Nepali I am sure a hindi version should be there soon if not now.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 20th February 2023 at 12:26.
Old 25th May 2023, 07:03   #278
BHPian

One of the most iconic signers of our generation is no more. Tina Turner died yesterday. RIP my lady..The Music Thread-1image.jpg
subraiyr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 04:59   #279
BHPian

Anyone here miss the original “Fast Car” by Tracy Chapman and ALSO like the new version(male version), more than 30 years later??

I like both versions, albeit at different moods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
(Songs of Shankarabharanam movie) … I ended up memorizing every song in that cassette.
I can’t make out if I’m older than you or not… not that it matters, but what I can’t forget is when I watched the teacher sing western music (MJ, I believe) and trashed it as something EASILY achievable… if you were classically trained, was something else.

Donno if I am confusing this movie with another… 🤔

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by graaja : 31st May 2023 at 06:24. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
NewUser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 15:18   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser123 View Post
but what I can’t forget is when I watched the teacher sing western music (MJ, I believe) and trashed it as something EASILY achievable… if you were classically trained, was something else.
No doubt, it is is easy enough for an Indian classical singer to sing a western melody line, but can they do, let alone understand, harmony? People that I know who really work in both Indian and classical would never show such disrespect for either.

As an ignorant listener, all I know is that music is wonderful ... and unfathomably complex!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 16:47   #281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser123 View Post
I can’t make out if I’m older than you or not… not that it matters, but what I can’t forget is when I watched the teacher sing western music (MJ, I believe) and trashed it as something EASILY achievable… if you were classically trained, was something else.
He doesn't trash it. He says all music is divine. He defended Indian Classical music without trashing western music. This was before MJ become famous.

This is the scene:

Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 17:39   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
He doesn't trash it. He says all music is divine. He defended Indian Classical music without trashing western music. This was before MJ become famous.
It's perfectly natural for someone classically trained to look down upon pop & rock music. I think you truly evolve as a musician when you start to look beyond genres and start enjoying music for what it is. I'm not religious but I do feel like there is some higher power behind the creation that is music and the fact that some of us are able to spread that gift. It's humbling and empowering at the same time.

I grew up on Western pop staples but quickly adopted hard rock and heavy metal in my teens. Somewhere along the line started appreciating ghazals, Indi-pop, progressive rock, Western classical (mostly choral music) and hard-edged pop but I still don't feel the same love for say EDM/trance and mainstream Hindi film music. It's all about taste beyond a point. I know this because there are exceptions even in those genres that I don't particularly like that I really enjoy listening to.

Like Oscar Wilde said, there is no moral and immoral literature, just good or bad writing. The same is the case for music. But most genres get associated inextricably with lifestyles (60s rock = hippie flower power, 80s heavy metal = Satan worship o quote some cliched examples). My favourite genre of music (trash/speed metal of the late 80s/ early 90s) has often been derided as noise but I've taken the time to explain to people (including Samurai!) that when you look beneath the surface there is a lot of musicality in there.

Posting a couple of videos to prove (hopefully! ) my point. These are live versions but if you listen to the originals they are much "cleaner" (relatively). I just think the live version brings out the raw talent and energy behind music like this:

noopster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 14:53   #283
BHPian

As a car enthusiast, the album covers of Italian artist Rkomi’s 2021 project Taxi Driver appeal quite a bit to me

The Music Thread-de424e8ebc48469ea5251a558b5acaf5.png

The Music Thread-c34f129066184fd6bd4cb97efcc6daa3.png

The songs aren’t half bad either, although a little more poppy than the Italian hip-hop I normally listen to. Here’s my favourite off the album, ‘NUOVO RANGE’ (‘New Range’, as in new Range Rover) with Italy’s biggest hip-hop artist (and probably Italy’s biggest artist overall) Sfera Ebbasta.

Old 16th July 2023, 11:42   #284

I, for one, am very different compared to my peers (in terms of age). They are in love with K-Pop and metal, while I adore the R&B genre. For me, melodies and harmonies are very important; frankly, it is the reason I listen to music. Artists such as Kehlani, Amaria, Syd and Daniel Caesar really appeal me to the artist in me. (I am part of a choir.)

While "mainstream" artists such as Ariana Grande have also made their mark in the industry, I am at the stage of listening to people beyond the radio, beyond those who have already been discovered. That's where the joy lies for me: exploration. I certainly will not like all the songs I come across, but that's fine. It's all part of the experience.

It's rarely about the beat for me. It's about the meaning that the song offers. It's about what the artist is trying to convey. That's what music is to me.
Shoury A Dasari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 01:14   #285
BHPian

I had originally built a playlist on Amazon Music but transferred it to YouTube Music earlier this year, finding its music collection and suggestion algorithm superior. I also purchased YouTube Premium to enjoy ad-free music.

As of today, the playlist contains 377 songs. More than 95% of these are classic rock, with the remaining sounding similar to rock.

Most songs feature easy-to-understand, clean vocals. There's a solid mix of iconic rock anthems, upbeat songs, and mellow tunes. The sound in most of the songs is clean, devoid of heavy metal or harsh instruments. These characteristics ensure a steady flow of engaging songs that neither incite an adrenaline rush nor lead to drowsiness or loss of energy. A significant number of the songs invite you to sing along.

I continue to add new songs whenever I have some free time. Occasionally, I remove songs that I believe do not meet the criteria after a few road trip listens. It took me about a year to build this playlist, each song added one by one after careful consideration.

Since I use wireless Android Auto, my phone automatically connects and begins playing music from where I last left off as soon as I start the car. Similarly, the music stops when I turn the car off. There's no need to open any app or manually play anything; the playlist remains on shuffle and loop. In rare occasions that the music does not play automatically (like when I have disturbed the music queue by playing something else on YT Music), I simply give a voice command to play 'My Playlist', which is the name of my playlist.

Below is the link to the playlist for those who might be interested. Feel free to copy it to your own account or listen as it is. Do offer suggestions for more songs which will suit this playlist.

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?l...NK7tleo0yHaj9h
nicodash is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks